NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Pet project since I quit playing games

sirjk

91f9a4825eb2f1c1d7f0ac704e986009.png

That feeling when you revive a 5-year-old virus infested laptop that was used in high school, upgraded to an SSD (I used it in my gaming PC), placed another 4GB of RAM and dual boot Linux and Windows 10! Just needs a new keyboard (20 bucks) and it will be good as new!

• Like 1

SSD is the best upgrade you can get!

So many people are asking me how to revive a old laptop/macbook.. I just tell them "get a SSD, I will show you how", they are SO happy as soon as they have their laptop back and so less people believe that.

btw @sirjk you know what virus or what file is infected? So you can get that virus by any chance? Would like to reverse engineer that thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stablish said:

SSD is the best upgrade you can get!

So many people are asking me how to revive a old laptop/macbook.. I just tell them "get a SSD, I will show you how", they are SO happy as soon as they have their laptop back and so less people believe that.

btw @sirjk you know what virus or what file is infected? So you can get that virus by any chance? Would like to reverse engineer that thing.

Yep same, SSDs are a lot cheaper than they use to be, I would stick with Samsungs as they have crazy warranties (to 5-10 years), if not Kingston as my second choice and Sandisk as my budget choice. Never buy them through eBay though. Stick with a trusted supplier, better yet, a manufacturer! An extra 4GB of RAM puts a hole in the plastic bag, the system stuttered constantly like it was suffocating, now it has the freedom to run pretty much anything now.

@stablish I would if I could, I used DBAN on the hard drive for privacy concerns. So, the disk has been written over with junk data, and now it has Linux. Initially, I wanted to try and fix it, but opening files would take me 30-45 seconds to open. My Computer took 20 seconds. I believe it had been caused by a program called "6e 65 74 20 74 6f 6f 6c 73 20 35" (hex to text if you're interested) but I am not sure. I never used a Virtual Machine back when I was a teenager so it could've been anything. I installed Linux after I DBANed the hard drive and runs smoothly again, but I thought an SSD would be a lot better for the laptop

Edited by sirjk