NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Kreedo the X gamer

Hi I’m Kreedo (That is a game name of course not my real name).  I was a frequent gamer.

My day one of the 90 days is March the 1st.

I played online board games and a action games like Mechwarrior Online and Civ VI.  Mechwarriors Universe is storied just like star wars and I would rp as being a part of that.

My wife is still a gamer and doesn’t plan on stopping.  I’m trying to be fine with that.  We have been playing card and boardgames still.  I'm trying to tell myself that that is okay.   

I have maybe 300 games on steam and thousands of dollars in subscriptions and new games over the years.

Zach in the Discord channel told me I should uninstall my steam collection games.

So I’m gonna start with the games I played the most.

The problem though is I know I can reinstall them at any time.   And if I got rid of my steam account I could just buy them over again.  And believe me I have done that with Neverwinter Nights 1. I got rid of it like 5 times and kept buying it again.  So I need to exhibit some willpower and not go back.

So I’m gonna start by uninstalling.

Here goes….

• Like 2

Hey Kreedo! Welcome! Yes you can reinstall at any time, but quitting alone won't solve your problems. That's the first step. Of many other steps you get to make to create the new experience of life you want. Continue to remind yourself of your why. Why is this shit really important to you? Why are you committed to going through with it? The more clear you can be on that, and the more often you can live your life from that place, the more of what you want will become true - it will become your new reality. One day at a time. :)

• Like 1

Day 6/90 detox

Thanks for the quick response, Cam.  :-)

A gamer friend asked me, “Going through withdrawals and bugs under the skin yet?”

I said, “I just need to regulate those dopamine levels, find a good reason to quit, and find something else to fill the time.”

My why involves wanting to have a life outside of the computer gaming.  I started this knowing that the most social contact I have is in Discord with gamers, in mmo chats, and with gamer friends in real life.

Some things I’m considering trying are hang out in the library, walk in the park, get a YMCA membership, start learning pencil and computer tablet drawing, learn Linux Server Administration, read kindle books on my tablet or computer,  tae kwon do, yoga, learn Spanish, read the bible thru, do volunteer work of some kind, go on dates with wifey regularly, get 5000+ steps /day (try to work up to 10,000), cook once a month(3 days) for the whole month(so I have more time for other stuff), read Respawn book,  unplug from electronics/social media once a week, work on my backyard (put in a firepit, weed the garden, tear down the old swingset, put in a playhouse), paint the inside of my house, and clean house better than I do. So there is other stuff I can do.

THe thing with this list is….  There aren’t many opportunities for new social contact.  Maybe Yoga or Martial Arts, hiking, walking, and I don’t feel like people at stores and other places where they have to talk to me really counts.

So I can try and get on meetup.com,  look at some church groups,  and maybe common interest groups locally like writers group.

I’m a stay-at-home dad/husband right now and find myself at home a bunch.  The good news is both of my girls are in elementary school.

Any helpful thoughts on this would be great.

• Like 1

The detox was great for me to get into books, so I do recommend reading on kindle. An iPad might strain your eyes though, so maybe a Kindle or something else. I have switched almost entirely to Audible and listen to books on the go, and have jumped onboard the Goodreads 2018 challenge of reading 47 books. We can share some titles!

Linux server administration might be a great topic to get into, because it could result in a job that you could work from home.

• Like 1

Welcome @Kreedo!

I can totally relate to uninstalling, then reinstalling games several times.  I felt like a mad man.  When I first came on here, I read through Re-Spawn, and it explains how to delete your Steam permanently.  I will say I felt a load off my shoulders when I did that, which was about 2 months ago.  As Cam said, quitting games alone isn't going to solve your problems, but I do think that creating solid barriers to the games is a great idea, especially at the beginning when you're very motivated.  There's a few times when I was more tempted than usual to game, and knowing that I'd have to make the effort of creating a new Steam account to get those games was not an insignificant deterrent. 

• Like 1

@giblets I looked up goodreads for the first time....I made an account as Kreedo.

@dwalk77  I'd be scared at this point to delete my whole steam account....first because my wife wants it.   Second because if I fail, I don't want to spend all that money all over again.   I'm sorry if this makes it sound like I'm not commited, it's just practical.   I still am stopping gaming and am on day 9.

• Like 1

Day 10

I saw some guys on the No gaming discord talking about a website for guided meditation and am trying that some.

So how bad can withdrawals from gaming do with my mind, my body and emotionally? @everyone

I really want to take control back in my life.  It's more than just gaming though.   It's a struggle for self-determination for me.  

Have you ever felt like some things are out of your hands that normally are?

• Like 1

Withdrawals are all relative, for some they will be more intense, for others less so. The key is just to notice what your experience is and make the necessary adjustments. Guided meditation is one really good way (scientifically proven as well) to learn more about how you're feeling and also release things like cravings, anxiety, etc.

• Like 1

@Cam Adair Thanks for you constant support throughout this process.  I listened to your first podcast and it was excellent with good advice and good story.

Day 11

My next steps involve getting a social outlet, I need/want to save up some and get into a martial art or yoga class. 

Also I've attended a support group for addicts on Wednesday (there were mostly alcohol addicts, but some of the message is the same).

@everyone Once again , thank you all for your kind support in my game quitting. 

• Like 1

Hi! You're doing really well so far, especially since your wife is still gaming, I get that must be tough but it's really cool that you've stuck to your guns :) 

The list of stuff you want to do is great and looks like some good motivation! I've also struggled with the social side of things so I've ventured on over to meetup.com and I found a local yoga group that I'm visiting for the first time tonight! I've also joined a board games group that I plan of meeting up with when I'm free. Fingers crossed for those! I hope you find something too :)

Is there anything you could do with your kids? That might be a great way to get out and meet new people, but also you'd be setting a great example and bonding with your family over something new as well? Maybe ask them if there's anything they wanna do? I know when I was little I used to love going to martial arts classes with my mum, and I'd fly model airplanes with my dad, those memories are really special to me. I know sometimes classes can be a little costly, but when you consider the money saved by not buying games that does help to offset it a little :) 

@giblets I've also just created a goodreads account, thanks for the inspiration! :) 

• Like 2

1459f4fb31bf1458baac7b8d2c3c2430.png.b11fab44c3ed209a122192deef5783ee.png

My 7 day steps/day total has gone way up since I quit gaming.   Before I was lucky to get about 2000 when I was seated a lot gaming.

This picture is from fitbit.com with my step counter. 

It a wintery day here in the USA/East Coast.  The more I feel like I'm stuck at home, the more tempting gaming seems.  Nonetheless I am staying strong.

@Bugg That's a great idea, trying to do things to bond with my two girls, 12 and 7 years old.  Also I have been going out on Date nights with wifey for the past two weeks.  

• Like 1

I'll add you guys to goodreads this afternoon! I want to get into my study this morning and having a quick read of journals first. What is your login @Bugg?

Reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F**k" at the moment. Really good so far.

Edited by giblets

@giblets User name: BuggOfBuggs. Not sure how much I'll use it for now as I have a literal mountain of books to get through, but when I start to run out I imagine I'll be there more.

Yeh I've got that one on my list :)

Edited by Bugg

Last night I observed a Tae Kwon Do school and am considering joining up.  It's very local so I'm happy with that.

I'm still saturated with gaming all around me as my family all plays, wifey, and 2 daughters.  Nonetheless, I have stuck to my guns and am not backing down.

.....Kreedo out....

• Like 1