NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hmm, umm Hi, I guess?

Bugg

Not sure if I can technically post here yet as I'm still moving towards a quit rather than having actually stopped gaming :S 

I'm getting there, I dunno. 

I'm 27, been gaming over 20 years, never much of a social/online gamer but I've never not had a console. I play way too much. Since finishing uni and starting work, there have been some major stresses in my life, and I'm losing more and more of my days to 12 - 16 hours gaming as an escape. It's just not worth it. There's more to life. I want to stop, I also wanna stop watching so much netflix/youtube to fill the void, which seems to happen whenever I'm not sat with controller in hand. I haven't bought a copy of Respawn yet, but I'm considering it.

I took a load of games to the store to trade-in today, made £88! Not bad at all. (Side note but something that really made me think today: when I was trading in my games the guy behind the counter was telling me about a new game he just bought ''only had it 2 weeks and already logged 120 hours'', he was bragging and I just laughed, but inside it really struck a chord. Think of all the cool stuff he could have done with that time, and instead he's proud to have spent it all in a virtual world, and yet to some degree, I'm that person too.) Anyway, I wanna sell my last 2 games and my ps4 too, but somethings still holding me back. I bought my ps4 as a gift to myself for gradating uni, haven't even had it a year yet, it's so hard to give it up already. I keep thinking of just selling it without finishing off the games I have, but that feels like leaving ends untied? I guess I feel like I can't move forwards without actually finishing this chapter of my life, but even considering the time I will need to invest into those games to complete them is causing anxiety too! 

I've tried talking to my mates about this, but they're all gamers, and so they think I'm just being silly. ''Just game in moderation'' they said. I wish it were so simple. 

As a girl in male dominated friendship group, gaming has been my way of relating to the guys, it's how I fit in, and it's become what I'm good at. Letting that go. It's just scary. 
I keep trying to tell myself that being good at games is just an empty achievement, that anyone can get good at anything if they do it enough. I want to get good at something worthwhile. Like guitar, or calisthenics. 

I guess I should have called this post ''Reasons why I'm procrastinating from quitting games''. 

*sigh* 

Well hello, anyway. Hoping this forum can help me build the confidence to finally give up, and soon.

[Update: will unplug this evening, start the detox tomorrow. Best hide the 3DS too :s]

[Edit: I failed to mention that I have ADHD, diagnosed young and on meds as a kid, I felt that's important to add as I'd be interested to hear from others in the same boat? It can be hard for us to focus on things sometimes, and gaming has offered a way to concentrate on something in a way that most other activities just don't offer, just wondering if any others from this sort of background have any thoughts on this.]

Edited by Bugg
  • Like 3

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

Yeah I'd actually seen that one, and then it's like my brain deliberately forgot the important lesson, haha. 

I really should just get rid once and for all. 

I think I'm gonna try the detox with my ps4 in the cupboard out of the way. I'll have one last hoorah tonight, then unplug it before bed. Starting tomorrow I'll try the detox.

What have I got to lose, right? 

6 minutes ago, Philipp said:

I think it's not really about what you've got to lose, rather think about what you could gain.

For example: --> SKILLZ you always wanted to learn

Yeah that's absolutely true! Thanks :)

Hey Bugg,

welcome to the forum. Be sure to create your very own journal in the forum. It will help you a lot. You said that you use gaming as an escape. When you stop, the issues you are trying to avoid will most likely come up, so be sure to have a place to write stuff down.

In addition, be sure to prepare a couple of hobbies to fill the void that quitting games will create. you can use this as a resource: Hobby ideas.

Of course, I wish you best of luck on your journey and tons of strength!

1 hour ago, Regular Robert said:

Hey Bugg,

welcome to the forum. Be sure to create your very own journal in the forum. It will help you a lot. You said that you use gaming as an escape. When you stop, the issues you are trying to avoid will most likely come up, so be sure to have a place to write stuff down.

In addition, be sure to prepare a couple of hobbies to fill the void that quitting games will create. you can use this as a resource: Hobby ideas.

Of course, I wish you best of luck on your journey and tons of strength!

Thanks Robert, creating a journal now :) I also have a paper journal I often write in, and a pen pal of sorts, so hopefully I'll be able to sit with and work through my issues without escaping from them any more.  Oh and for hobbies; not a problem, I'm already a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, I'm exited to hopefully spend more time doing the things I love. :)