NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Daily Journal

Spoon

Day 21: 

End of week 3! So far so good. I'll be meeting with Morgan tomorrow morning, and the rest of the day is gonna be all about getting my late work done so I can turn it all in Monday. Since I didn't have stats this morning, I slept in. My degree chair threw a pizza party for the Web Degree, which was really the first social event I've been to in a while. Saw some of my fellow cohort who have already graduated and had a good conversation with them. I've been chiseling away at the late work, but for awhile it was on the backburner since I needed to stay caught up with my classes so there wouldn't be even more late work.

Day 22:

Met with Morgan this morning, we had a decent conversation about keeping ourselves on track with class. I worked on some late work, then around lunch, I hopped onto the program I'm using to teach myself guitar and learned Green Day - "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" so that's pretty fun! I also have plans to go out tonight and visit a car meet up that I saw posted on facebook with a friend of mine, so it should be good to get out of my apartment for a bit.

Day 23: 

Last Night my friend and I went to the Car Meet I mentioned, it was pretty fun. Other than that, It's been a really slow day. Been working more on that late work, but it's not going very quickly. I've made little progress on my stats project for this week too, so I'll need to start that soon. There are only about 2 weeks left in class, so I'm trying really hard to buckle down and get to work, but every time I sit down to start working, I just can't find the momentum. I keep finding myself looking for distractions, like watching tv or going out for a drive to clear my head, or even learning the guitar... 

I know how you feel. I have been neglecting my studies as well. Sometimes my brain just can't seem to connect with what I'm researching so I end up scanning the same sentence 10 times without remembering a single thing it said. I hope you're able to get it done. :) I think you will feel really good about it if you do. ^-^ That usually gets me to do things. Because it will make me happy.

• Like 1

Day 24:

So far today has been a slow one. I only had Stats in the morning, so I got the homework done earlier in the day. I haven't looked at my English assignment yet, but if I'm remembering how the course is organized, I think I'll still be working on that research paper from last week. Once again I keep finding myself getting distracted instead of doing the late work, so I'm going to just go work in the local library tonight to try and get a change of scenery. 

Day 25:

Woke up today feeling like death, but I managed to slog my way to stats class this morning and our teacher gave us a super easy 100 for the daily problem, so I'm really grateful for that, as well as no new material so the homework is just the same as last night. Since my Spoken Comms class is just doing Lab days for our final speech (which I have planned out already) I decided to stay home and get some rest and fight whatever cold I have. This week we're continuing the research paper and just taking our outline and turning it into a rough draft. With the migraine I've been having since I woke up I've been taking the day to just rest, so I'll spend time on that tomorrow.

Day 26:

Still fighting off this cold... ended up staying home from class today which made my temptations that much harder to avoid. As the day has been going on I've slowly been feeling better, but this cold is taking its sweet time. I've been doing a bit of research for my English paper just to help pass the time, and when I get drained from doing that I've been getting caught up on Supernatural. 

Day 27:

Sick again, but today was better than yesterday. Missing class again is giving me a guilty feeling since I've already missed so much. I'm probably going to do my final Spoken Comm speech tomorrow if I can make it to class, but that depends on how well I feel. I've started reading Ready Player One since I have been avoiding TV and guitar. This will probably sound strange, but it's been a long time since I've picked up a book and started to read. 

• Like 1

Hey good job keep it up! Day 27 is almost at the one month mark. I know being at home with so much free time and easy access to gaming can be difficult, but push through it. Spend time with family or friends, sleep more, read more, like you said. This is a hard time in your detox but you can do it!

2 minutes ago, marcopolobus said:

Do you like Ready Player One so far? I saw a trailer for the movie based on it and it looked pretty interesting. I've read Ender's Game but I don't know if its similar at all. Good work with your detox so far!

Well, I haven't gotten too far, but from everything my friends who have read it are saying it's going to be a good book... I'm only a little bit through the first chapter, so it's mostly exposition and setup for the story.

Day 28:

Wow, a whole month gone. Still, nothing much going on, haven't really gotten too far into Ready Player One either. I did get my Nanoleaf Aurora system finally working, so that's nice, especially since I can put it on a schedule to turn on in the morning really bright. Other than that, there's nothing really going on right now.

46 minutes ago, marcopolobus said:

congrats on a month of no video games :1295_raised_hands_tone1:

Is the Nanoleaf Aurora some kind of morning wakeup light? I've though about getting one before...do you find it helps motivate you to get up in the morning?

It's kinda complicated; basically, it's a set of triangular panels that can change color. You can use the app of the same name (Nanoleaf) to change colors, which is kinda required to get it set up. BUT, you can put in different scheduled lighting settings at specific times, so I've got mine set to be a flickering bright white in the morning, and a dim fading red at night.

Day 30: 

Well the good news is my cold is finally gone, so I'm feeling much better! But since it put me out of commission last week, I'm having to teach myself the stats stuff I missed so I can do the project-exam that's due tomorrow, so now instead of migraines, my brain is hurting in a different way. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I just kinda spent the day relaxing, mostly reading and watching TV, but I did mess around with the guitar for a bit. Today I overslept and woke up at 11 for whatever reason, but so far the day has been productive.

Day 31:

Today was SSDD, so nothing really interesting happened. No Spoken Comm (cause no class Mondays), and Stats just introduced yet another time-consuming formula, so that's fun. I'm still trying to find something to fill my free time, cause reading doesn't seem to cut it for me.

Day 32:

Well, that makes 2^5 days without games, it's been really hard. It's been more of the same in class again, so things are starting to get a bit monotonous. I'm in the middle of working on my stats homework as well as my projects so I'm gonna get back to work.

Day 33:

I was so busy working on my Stats final that I didn't notice my phone go off with the daily journal reminder. As a sort of tribute to my departure from games, I've decided to make my final project be about GPA vs Hours per week spent gaming, and seeing if there's a correlation. From some of the results I'm seeing, it seems there is one, but it's fairly small, but I haven't put them through the correlation formula yet so I could be waaay off and there might be a strong correlation. Class ends next Tuesday, so I'm starting to run up against the clock for the late assignments, but I've been working away at them, albeit slowly.

Day 34:

Today was a good day. I finally fixed a bug in the project I wanted to base my final spoken comm speech off of, which means now I can do a live/interactive demo during the speech   :1_grinning:
I'm still waiting on more results from my stats survey before I do the calculation and write-up just so I have a solid sample size. Class ends on the 13th, so things are coming close to an end. I've been working on the late work slowly, but this weekend for sure is when I have to get it done. Faculty have a meeting Monday, and there's no spoken comm class tomorrow, so I have a 4-day weekend to get caught up.

Day 35:

Slept in today, and spent the day cleaning my apartment. After I get dinner I'm going to go to the wifi lounge my apartment has and keep working on my final projects. So far, even thought it felt slow when I started, today has gone by pretty fast.