NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Skaliq's Log

Day 25

Birthday was awesome. My father sent me a photo of the dress watch that arrived, which he will ship it to me (he lives overseas) soon. The ramen noodle place was a branch of an authentic Japanese restaurant so that was great. I was pleasantly surprised when my mother opened a cute, little teddy bear cake. Lol. 

It's Chinese New Year break for a week. Today, I'll be planning how to allocate that time, and do some long-overdue errands. 

Day 27

Frankly, for a moment yesterday, I thought about gaming. There was nothing much to do for the entire day, and I was bored. But I took my mother's suggestion to go shopping. We tried out some clothes that I might want in my wardrobe, and I shopped some vegetables and spices. I cooked Sichuan fried eggplant for lunch and Kung Pao chicken for dinner. It was pretty fun to cook again. 

Day 29

On 2/17/2018 at 9:43 PM, info-gatherer said:

Yep cooking is a lot of fun, but then you have to clean up :4_joy: God bless the washing machine (I don’t have it tho :/ )

Yeah doing the dishes suck :/ especially since in this small apartment I need to wash everything in a tiny sink. I've been reading the book "The Food Lab" and following some recipes. Today I cooked an omelet and Beijing Shredded Pork (Jing Jiang Rou Si) for breakfast and lunch. My sister's been complaining that I only cook Chinese food - I love it btw - so I'll attempt to make more western style dish in the future. 

Edited by Guest

Are you from China? I heard that authentic chinese food is very different from the one you find in chinese restaurants worldwide. I don’t like chinese food much (except maybe dumplings), it’s just too greasy and tastes unhealthy, and so I always asked myself whether I’m just eating it in the wrong restaurants or not. As a side note, I really like japanese food, and I find it relaxing to prepare. Did you ever try to prepare sushi? It’s much more difficult than it looks like but if you find the right ingredients it pays off! :D

Day 30: Just gushing about food I like

I'm an expat living in China for the 8th year here. I learned how to cook in China, and a lot of my favorite dishes are Chinese. Chinese cuisine is just so incredibly diverse, man.

The problem with Chinese cooking outside of China is probably sourcing authentic spices. You see, you need to use specific types of peppercorns, chillis, soy sauce, vinegar, bean paste, rice wine, etc., that are sold in China. I've eaten some "Chinese food" outside of China, and I can guarantee that they never bothered to source authentic seasoning. It's almost like thinking, "nah, I'll just replace basil with thyme, they're both herbs, right?" when cooking a western dish. 

It's true that Chinese cooking involves a lot of frying, but the better cooks don't make it feel oily.

You see, there are four "big" strands of Chinese cooking - Shandong, Sichuan (spicy & numbing), Guangdong (Hong Kong region) and Shanghai. There are also minor ones like Xinjiang (Uyghur) and Beijing cuisine. If you're not used to Chinese flavors, you should try guangdong and shanghai food which are generally light in seasoning. Things like dim sum, soups, and xiao long bao. If you can stand eating a lot of cumin, then uyghur cuisine is pretty delicious and healthy, too, like pilaf, kebab, dapanji, or laghman noodles. 

I used to do lure fishing, so I had my share of sashimi back in the day. I still do, though I don't bone my own fish anymore. I also love a good bowl of miso ramen. I don't really know how to cook Japanese food though. I should really learn. 

I'm a Korean national so Korean food is my comfort food. Not my favourite dishes, but soothing and easy to default to. However, at this point, I've lived far too long in China, consumed way too much Japanese media, and speak better English than Korean to call myself a Korean local.