NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

What are you doing instead of gaming??

Musta

This is a very basic yet very important question. I decided to quit gaming and I'm looking for alternatives. You know, fun, easy to reach activities that could replace gaming.  

What's your suggestions? And what has worked for you?

Thanks a lot 

Hi @Musta!

You can use this list as reference. 

In general, you want to fill your time with 4 kinds of activities:

- Mentally Challenging: something that you will feel motivated to do and improve at, that involves learning, practicing... It helps your sense of purpose. 

- Social: something you can share or compete with others, for fun and recognition, and to meet friends and like-minded people. 

- Relaxing: something to take your mind off more stressing, boring or complicated things in your daily life. Easy to do for maximum chill. 

- Physically active: something that encourages you to go outside to take fresh air, changes the normal atmosphere of home and your room, and that allows you to stay healthy.

Ideally you should find a balance between these four factors, there's no magic rule. What works for you best, that's the best way. 

Let us know if this was helpful and if you came up with new things to do! ;)

Hi @Hitaru. Thanks for the great response. This sure is a nice way to organize the types of activities, indeed each of them is necessary. I have already taken a look at Cam's habit list, while they were nice activities to fill free time, nothing really seemed like an efficient alternative of gaming itself...

14 hours ago, Musta said:

You know, fun, easy to reach activities that could replace gaming.

I would really love to know what you guys are personally doing instead of gaming. I myself am considering watching a series, youtube, reading, cooking, chess, puzzles. But I haven't tried anything yet...

I for myself try to not watch YouTube stuff, nor series. The latter is something I do sometimes, but with purpose. I usually ask myself if I truly want to watch that show or if I am looking for distraction. If it is just the craving for distraction, I deny myself mindlessly watching a show.

I would truly suggest that you try to use the system Hitaru presented, at least as an experiment. Because "fun, easy to reach" is difficult to apply. For example, you mentioned cooking, reading and chess. Cooking is something very active, that does not occupy much brain power. I usually cook and listen to an audio book or music and actually "dance through the kitchen". That is, indeed fun. But entirely different fun than chess. Chess is engaging, occupies a lot of brain power and demands a high level of concentration. Depending on how you feel and what you desire to feel, cooking can work or not, like chess can work or net. If you are looking for something to "push yourself" a little, chess is inferior compared to like ... workout, swimming, running. If you want to be calm and relaxed, cooking might be inferior compared to meditation or reading. Reading can strain your eyes and might not be fun if you want easy-to-digest content. You know what I am trying to say? There are many activities and all of them are great fun, but not always. It depends on your mood, desires, physical status and purpose.

Try to set up a list, test stuff, and organize it. You can be quite specific about it if you want to.

Also, I suggest that you add a couple of "self-reliance" activities. Like you said, cooking for example. Learning to cook your own food will boost your confidence. It makes you independent and improves "basic survival skills". In other words: you learn to take care of yourself and you will feel responsible for yourself.
The same goes for fitness activities like workout, running and such. You take care of your own health and fitness. You feel responsible for your own shape. Cleaning, doing the laundry, dishes and so on is important and useful as well. Also, it can be a lot of fun.
Going out for walks. You don't even need a goal to reach. Often, it can be great just to be outside and feel outside. Or think outside. Inhale the fresh air, watch your surroundings, get a feeling for the world around you.

Last but not least, take a look at that: https://gamequitters.com/hobby-ideas/ (click me)

• Like 2
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2018 at 1:23 PM, Regular Robert said:

I for myself try to not watch YouTube stuff, nor series. The latter is something I do sometimes, but with purpose. I usually ask myself if I truly want to watch that show or if I am looking for distraction. If it is just the craving for distraction, I deny myself mindlessly watching a show.

I would truly suggest that you try to use the system Hitaru presented, at least as an experiment. Because "fun, easy to reach" is difficult to apply. For example, you mentioned cooking, reading and chess. Cooking is something very active, that does not occupy much brain power. I usually cook and listen to an audio book or music and actually "dance through the kitchen". That is, indeed fun. But entirely different fun than chess. Chess is engaging, occupies a lot of brain power and demands a high level of concentration. Depending on how you feel and what you desire to feel, cooking can work or not, like chess can work or net. If you are looking for something to "push yourself" a little, chess is inferior compared to like ... workout, swimming, running. If you want to be calm and relaxed, cooking might be inferior compared to meditation or reading. Reading can strain your eyes and might not be fun if you want easy-to-digest content. You know what I am trying to say? There are many activities and all of them are great fun, but not always. It depends on your mood, desires, physical status and purpose.

Try to set up a list, test stuff, and organize it. You can be quite specific about it if you want to.

Also, I suggest that you add a couple of "self-reliance" activities. Like you said, cooking for example. Learning to cook your own food will boost your confidence. It makes you independent and improves "basic survival skills". In other words: you learn to take care of yourself and you will feel responsible for yourself.
The same goes for fitness activities like workout, running and such. You take care of your own health and fitness. You feel responsible for your own shape. Cleaning, doing the laundry, dishes and so on is important and useful as well. Also, it can be a lot of fun.
Going out for walks. You don't even need a goal to reach. Often, it can be great just to be outside and feel outside. Or think outside. Inhale the fresh air, watch your surroundings, get a feeling for the world around you.

Last but not least, take a look at that: https://gamequitters.com/hobby-ideas/ (click me)

Thank you so much @Regular Robert

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm currently playing card games (Magic / Netrunner) in a local store. Kind of new to these two.

Sometimes I also play with friends Goat Format(old school yugioh 2005 format).

There's lots of new stuff to explore though to fill my time: Public speaking course, shogi and volleyball are a few on my mind.
Maybe I'll buy a guitar soon and take lessons.

I yet have to take the first step to actualy do all these things.

Edited by Silent3d