NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

dwalk77 Journal

dwalk77

Good to see you 🙂

In a way, gig jobs like Uber seem great for having a sense of autonomy, but potentially tricky to balance if you get lured into a pattern of gaming or other negative habits. Are there specific hobbies that have been good replacements for gaming/Twitch in the past? 

• Like 1

Thanks @Vee

That's a good question.  I think in the past, I've struggled to find a good replacement for gaming/Twitch, which is a big reason why gaming always seems to find a way back in my life..

I do have some ideas though.  What I'd really like to do is read more.  About everything.  News, politics, religion, fiction, non-fiction.  I could also see myself writing more.  Playing guitar.  Making an effort to hang out with friends and family.  Watching sports. 

• Like 3

Glad to see you've come back! I've been getting back into reading as well and something I realized was how much of a skill it is. It was easy for me to think, "I'll just pick up anything and start because I used to read all the time." And I think this is good. However, there seems to be an element of muscle memory to it where the mind must warm up again. 

Grabbing a low-stakes novel was a good way for me to start getting back into it - or reading something I have really, really wanted to read for a long time and just never did because of my addiction. That ease-in period has been very helpful in reintroducing reading and restoring my attention span. 

• Like 3

Day 5

To be honest, I think I underestimated the withdrawals.  I'm realizing the last few days how much I was leaning on Twitch or gaming, especially when boredom starts to settle in.

I've been watching some films the last few nights, which I've enjoyed and has done a good job of filling the time.  I did do some reading last night, but only a few pages.  I think you're right @FDRx7, there is something to easing into it.  Hopefully if I stick with it, I'll make a habit of reaching for a book rather than a game..

• Like 3