NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

BigOlBeartic's Journal

Ahhh everythings going well, but I regret going to the gym x_x every time things are going exceptionally well I try to add a new thing in there instead of using that extra time to further what I already have going on like my programming club/academics/my own personal program. I realize that now b/c my plan was to do at least an hour of coding everyday and it hasnt turned out that way so far in february... so yea no to the gym. But I had a good day, 3H spare down to 2.5, not much, but its something!

Haha hi! that made me lol, and thanks for checking up on me :P

I've been posting like once or twice a week just cause there hans't been anything really significant going on! I'll start posting more frequently again. I just came on rn to post actually. Had 2 tests tuesday and a phone interview this morning for a developer job. Its actually co-op season so I have 6 interviews all next Thursday, which is scary. I messed up my phone interview a little this morning b/c the interviewer asked me "do you prefer android or ios operating systems, and why?"  =T My answer was somethign along the lines of "android, because iOS operating systems have a steeper learning curve for new users" and I started off the interview with a cringy "Its nice to talk to you" lmaoooooooo ... i guess my brain was stuck on saying "its nice to meet you" but its over the phone so.. thats what I ended up on. 

My programming club is going well too. Learning c# with unity. I like it so much I kinda want to find someone else over the internet to work on some small game together. Sometimes I the fact that I'm new becomes really glaring because I feel like I post soo many questions on reddit.

Anyway, the rest of this week i'll be preparing for those interviews + working on my next public speech really. Oh and I have a test next friday lel : -( but the biggest thing is those interviews, I really need something this summer for my resume!!!!

Edited by Guest

2/24/18 Saturday Feb 24

Things going good, need to work on maintaining my daily plan habit. Cuz i'll get on little sidetracks too often. I attended an honors society meeting and learned about goal setting following the s m a r t acronym: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic timely. My goal is to kill these interviews and also churn out a unity game with my club and maybe something on the side. I'm either gonna post on the unity forums or finish all the official tutorials I can

Currently studying at starbucks cuz couldnt focus at home :]

Prepped for interviews and did some hwk yestrday, This was a lazy weekend. I really need to get out of the house at weekends >_<

Edited by Guest

Monday 2.26

I have 6 interviews this thursday! Eeep  ><

Someone share their favorite songs with me! I need some new music. Here's one from me: Leon - Surround me

Just finished my programming club meeting oh god i'm so socially inept its cringy, like.. I'm 21 get it together... :I

Edited by Guest

Less than 2 days until interviews! >_<

Pretend there's a transition here.. This certain insecurity I have as been fine so far b/c of what I think is a long lucky streak. However, I forgot it rememerges when I get little sleep. And it re-emerged T_T  It could get worse tomorrow, its very sensitive and volatile once there is a possibility of it getting worse. I guess we'll see!

GUYS!! I had my 6 interviews today!!!! One of the interviews I seriously messed up. The first two interviews went very well in my opinion. The third interview, ironically, is the one i wanted the most. However, I had a class in between the first two and the third. I kinda got psyched out b/c I was thinking about the remaining interviews and feeling lost in class. WELLL, i walked up the interview table, shook hands, and as I was taking my hand away, accidentally bumped one of their glasses of water all over my suit. WELL. GEEZ. Later, I messed up one of the simplest fucking questions they could have asked me T_T (it was a super simple programming problem)!! *CRY FACE EMOJI* FUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D= . Well, I didn't get it totally wrong, but still... this is really giving me a heavy burden b/c this is my second chance at everything and messing up 1 interview like that really hurts my chances in my eyes. THere's competition in all 6 already, and messing up that one to that extent feels like I destroyed an opportunity.. Then again, maybe they'll take into account that I was nervous and have some mercy b/c I did spill their water and whatnot, i dunno.But I did great on the other 3. so 5/6 were pretty good. (At least imo)

At the end of the day after alls said and done, I was extremely upset earlier, however, I am now feeling a lot better whiel studying for a test I have tomorrow. I am grateful that I am doing well thus far, I made it to my interviews on time at least, I spoke in a professional manner (in my opinion) and I made sure that all of the interviewers knew that I was passionate and eager to learn (even the ones I messed up with). I hope I get at least 2 offers out of the 6. Anyway, back to studying for my test =P I hope everyone here is doing well!!

Edited by Guest

I made an error in the two thank you emails i sent :I Im literally crying rn this week has been so stressful and i made this stupid mistake. Its a small error but nonetheslss it could really hurt my chances. fuck this shit like forreal.

i gamed today ._. restarting 90 days sigh.. gamed for like 6 hrs a stupid onlien game uggghhh fml.. probably happened b/c i was so stressed yesterday and I have so much to do this weekend..

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, BigOlBeartic said:

i gamed today ._. restarting 90 days sigh.. gamed for like 6 hrs a stupid onlien game uggghhh fml.. probably happened b/c i was so stressed yesterday and I have so much to do this weekend..

Man DON’T it’s just a slip, it happened, ok, make it doesn’t happen anymore. I read your journal, and you’re doing GREAT. I think that your mistake was stopping to count the days. Why don’t you just resume it? You gamed a day, this doesn’t spoil all your progress unless you do it again. And you won’t, because you care about your life.

I’d like to hear @Cam Adair‘s opinion on this, maybe I’m giving bad advice.

I think i have to start over =/ it was really bad.Im going to Starbucks to study. Im just emotionally dead right now.

I think I realized I have to leave the house on saturdays. Usually the saturdays are the worst. Being in the house is the worst.

Day 1

Thanks so much :)

Day 3 Tuesday 3.6.18

Feeling better, I got a second interview offer for tomorrow afternoon.

Also got my first rejection e-mail. so that leaves 6 possibilities out of 7. Feel like I'll get one! =)

Day 4 Wednesday 3.6.18

My hard work paid off! :) I got offered a year long paid internship in computer science which will alternate with my school semesters!! ITS LIT!!! XD =D

Starts this fall. So i'll be taking summer classes. Honestly I feel like I just changed my life. AAH :D

Day 5 Thursday 3.7.18

Just solved a tough part of a java project :P aah! 

met the team today at my future 'office' of sorts :P cant wait to start. 

good day.

Sorry to hear about the slip up but from your journal it sounds like you were doing really well!! Good luck this time around, like Cam says; Learn from it! :) 
Your journal is really inspiring though, but I do get the impression you can be a little hard on yourself, which I can relate to - a habit I'm trying to break. Maybe try to be a little more compassionate towards yourself, you're only human and you can only do your best, which in your case is already really good! 

Thanks Bugg! :) That is something I need to work on.

Day 6 Friday 3.9.2018

Spring break is around the corner, can't wait!
Today I thought about the cost of staying in college longer, and what thats costing me and my parents.

(I'll be graduating in 6 years b/c of my major change instead of in 4 years) It really goes to show the value of time and the value of planning out what you want and knowing how to get there. One day when I have kids, I'm gonna do my best to make sure they know what they want to do before they start college b/c of this reason. 

However, thanks to this sub, the improvement I've made keeps me from beating myself up over this wasted time. Also, I know things arent clear cut. Who knows about the "what ifs"? Before I went into college I was thinking about doing something else, but caved into everyone convincing me go to college. Sometimes I wonder about what might've been.

Anyhoo, the past is in the past and I love what I'm doing right now. Things are finally turning around because of the efforts Ive put in and the amazing helpful resources out there like this awesome website. So I will keep looking up and enjoy my Spring Break =) I'll be working, and I'm going to start reading 'Life 3.0'.

Thank yoooo :') He's a sweet border collie mix!! We got him from the humane society :') He's learning to adjust to our crazy house lol - jk our house is totally normal

21 minutes ago, BigOlBeartic said:

Thank yoooo :') He's a sweet border collie mix!! We got him from the humane society :') He's learning to adjust to our crazy house lol - jk our house is totally normal

Nawwh that's amazing! So cool that you guys rescued too, I'm always trying to educate others on the issues associated with breeders/pedigree's. 

Haha.. my mum's house is pretty crazy, she has 8 dogs! aaand I'm temporarily moving back in, in a few months. It's gonna be awesome, and probably terrible, all at once :P