NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Michael's Daily Journal

Michael Lee

Day 5

(I'm starting a little late :( )

Today I really felt the urge to turn to video games as a release and truly struggled to not play. I'm happy to say that instead of playing video games I went for a run instead. I know that this is just the beginning and that I have a long eighty-five more days ahead of me, but I'm looking at today as a win because I didn't play video games even though I really, really, really wanted to. I reconnected with a friend that I hadn't seen since high school which was really nice and comforting. I have found myself to have a bit of a short temper and am very easily upset, I am also tired a lot as of the last couple of days. However, I have started focusing on other items in life besides waking up and immediately playing video games I can see where I used to play games and how it can suck the life right out of me. I'll keep updating this as much as possible I'm excited and nervous to see where this detox takes me.

• Like 2

Welcome. It gets easier after the first two weeks. Finding activities (like that jog) to evade gaming at all means for the first time is a good strategy to get over this first hump. Later on it becomes more about not lying to yourself (aka. I did so good for a month now. A little game won't hurt me now...)

Fighting off the urge is a huge win. You only need to do it one day at a time and you'll finish this detox and stick to your commitment.

Why did you commit to this? Any reasons why you want to change the person you was for the last years? Thinking about this stuff can motivate you a lot and improve your decision makeing in the future.

Best of luck! I am rooting for you.

Welcome @Michael Lee!

It's completely normal to feel at edge when you first quit, or when you first make a change in your life overall. It will pass, if you allow it the time to pass. It's just a feeling inside, it won't really harm you, keep it in mind. It passes, and then what remains is the you who is doing something worthy with life. And if it comes again, you remember this. You can do it!

I read in your intro that you were struggling with social connections outside gaming, so this reconnection with your friend is really good news. About your gaming friends, you can try to find another activity together besides games, or keep them in your contact list even if you don't play anymore (you can still visit them if they live far away, etc.). If your bond doesn't survive beyond games, don't feel sad or missing out. That's just life happening. Cherish the memories, you'll have other friends by then. When you're looking for things to do to fill the idle time you have now, try to add things that will put you out there. New friendships will just happen if you let it happen naturally. And we have your back if you ever need to express yourself!

Looking forward to your journey!

Day 7

(Not great at this need to make a new habit)

I started school again today, and found out that one of the games I would play a lot dropped a new update. The cravings were real but I resisted; it helped that I had school stuff to do. I'm struggling with the fact that all my friends are still gaming and since I have uninstalled all gaming on my computer I can't really talk to them. I have a day off tomorrow and I know temptation is going to hit me hard along with really bad cravings. My plan is to wake up early, go for a run, study for a 30 minutes, lift, and back to the books. I'm hoping by setting a schedule it will help reduce the cravings. Thanks for reading the Journal it was a big moral boost to know that the community was here. ALSO 1 WEEK WITHOUT GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Day 8

(I did it 2 days in a row)

I managed not to give in to the cravings which surprisingly weren't that bad today, I am consistently tired though and I'm hoping that the exhaustion won't affect my school tomorrow. I finished my studies for today which was nice last year I don't think I could've ever said that. Working at a coffee shop helps a little with the always tired. Anyone have any suggestions for the constantly tired. I had 8 hours of sleep which is 2 more than normal. I've also had my skis tuned up for the first time this year, I have decided to try and be more active again hoping it will help out. The 90 days doesn't seem as daunting anymore, but I noticed that it was a month in that some temptations seem to hit. So thanks for the heads up @WorkInProgress

On 1/7/2018 at 10:25 PM, WorkInProgress said:

Welcome. It gets easier after the first two weeks. Finding activities (like that jog) to evade gaming at all means for the first time is a good strategy to get over this first hump. Later on it becomes more about not lying to yourself (aka. I did so good for a month now. A little game won't hurt me now...)

Fighting off the urge is a huge win. You only need to do it one day at a time and you'll finish this detox and stick to your commitment.

Why did you commit to this? Any reasons why you want to change the person you was for the last years? Thinking about this stuff can motivate you a lot and improve your decision makeing in the future.

Best of luck! I am rooting for you.

1 hour ago, Michael Lee said:

Working at a coffee shop helps a little with the always tired. Anyone have any suggestions for the constantly tired. I had 8 hours of sleep which is 2 more than normal. I've also had my skis tuned up for the first time this year, I have decided to try and be more active again hoping it will help out.

This can be a problem. I would advice you to go systematically through following questions.

Do I drink enough fluid (water/tea/coffee)? Aim for a minimum of one glass of water (0,2l) every waking hour. 

Have I eaten enough food? Try to eat things which last for while. 

Did I do something which made my heart rate go up today? (Otherwise you are often sluggish and not tired at all)

Is nothing  psychological taxing draining my energy?

Do I have enough pauses in the day (usually not the problem if you have regular working pauses where you don't work concentrated. But there are some workaholics here so I added it)

Do I have an active project for myself where I feel committed and can work towards? (This helps ton with motivation and energy level)

If you can answer all these questions with an yes consider to check yourself at a doctor. Some things easy to medicate  like a lack of vitamin D or thyriod problems are common reasons for being tired all the time. So check them out and point your doctor towards the right tests if they don't do it from themselves. But usually the top suggestions will leave you energetized and you don't have to worry about being ill or depressed.

• Like 1

Day 10

I didn't forget to do Day 9, I was having really intense cravings yesterday so I made a decision to not turn on my computer so that I wouldn't be tempted to play any games on my computer, happy to say I made it through Day 9 and have had very minimal cravings today. I also went skiing and reconnected with more friends. I also had a day off of work and school today and caught up on sleep and am no longer tired. I feel like the exhaustion was from restarting school as well as long work days, so the day off was very nice.

Day 14 I'm giving up on daily :(

Anyways last two days were pretty dull actually the cravings came and went I studied and had no life, but I am finding myself tired again this 40 hour work week and 30 hours of school (includes studying is draining all my energy) I have also managed to remain active until today when I was at work until late so the gym was closed when I was going home. Anyways hoping the next couple of days in the week fly or I'm going to go insane.