NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

burn-x's Journal

aaaaaa

Day 83, 84 & 85

Kept forgetting this thread :)

The usual Saturday errands cleaned the home and instead of exercising, start some model painting again.  On Sunday, went to the hobby store which in the end turned out to be the best experience I had when painting there.  The usual storekeeper was on leave and his boss was there.  This meant that the usual people who would hang out and chitchat with the storekeeper were missing.  Thus I had all the opportunity to ask the boss how to paint!  Learned a lot!

On Monday, decided it was time to hand in my resignation letter again.  The future isn't certain, but I'm certain I don't wish to waste any more of my time working in my company anymore.  4 years plus, time to move on.

Almost there man! Sounds like you are doing well. Did you learn anything in particular about painting. I remember trying to get into models when I was about 15. I remember being scared to put the decals on hope. Congratz on quitting, you moving companies or becoming self employed?

• Like 1

Day 86

Today is the first day of my company "global planning" session meaning I go to work late and come back late.  Didn't do much at home, though did strip the paint from some models again.

21 hours ago, mikeyb93 said:

Almost there man! Sounds like you are doing well. Did you learn anything in particular about painting. I remember trying to get into models when I was about 15. I remember being scared to put the decals on hope. Congratz on quitting, you moving companies or becoming self employed?

I find painting really therapeutic.  It requires planning, execution, and patience.  Importantly though, it gets me away from my PC which I will end up surfing the internet aimlessly.  Ah yes, the decals.  I don't look forward to that as well :P

I'm quitting because I'm burnt out working in cooperate IT.  11 years of the same stress.  I have nothing lined up, but my notice period is 3 months, not the usual 2 weeks in some Western countries.  So I'll still be working for a while.

Day 88 & 89

Same old boring and stressful work.  After work did some coding, though I think I might want to finish reading the book first.  Also started to assemble new models to paint.  I think I'm ready now to start my army :)

Day 90!

Today cleaned the house and watched some anime with the Mrs.  Then after dinner, drilled some holes in the models so they can be magnetized.  This allows for swapping of parts.  Tomorrow will be heading to the hobby store for more model painting

More importantly, I made it to 90 days without playing a video game!

Honestly, this experience was easier than I expected.  I thought would've relapsed a few times, but I didn't.  My success probably lies in a few things:

• Quickly finding new things to do when bored.  This can be just doing some coding, reading and more recently, painting
  • When I have really nothing better else to do?  Go climb over 50 floors of stairs!
  • Constantly reminding myself that how unfulfilling gaming was and starting it again won't be any different.
  • Completely cutting off my previous gaming clan

I do have shortcomings that I wished I did more on:

• An inactive blog which I started. I wanted to post something every week, but I felt the quality of the post was not very beneficial for anyone.  I did learn a lot of blogging related stuff like SOE and how to write better.  I will be working on it more again in the future.
  • Less coding once I picked up model painting.  I thought I enjoyed coding, but I think this might have been a false interest.  I find myself doing a lot more painting and model making than coding now.  I need to try to balance this between the two activities.

For those undertaking their detox 90 days journey, you can do it and stay strong: "The Greater the Effort, the Sweeter the Reward" :)

• 2 weeks later...