NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

burn-x's Journal

aaaaaa

Day 53

Another eventful day at work today, it is really testing my patience.  Today watched videos on miniature painting.  Really fascinating on the tools and techniques used to achieve amazing results.

19 hours ago, Sashiku said:

Seems like you are doing pretty well. I hope your job doesn't end up making things hard for you though. I wish the best for you and your family.

23 hours ago, JoeFish said:

Don't really think programming games is the best thing to do to avoid thinking about games but yanoooo...whatever works...

It's fine for me as I'm enjoying the coding and designing.  Besides what I have now is no way close to being a game that is playable.  

So far I've never been tempted to play video games.  I'm immediately reminded how unfulfilling it was and why I started this detox in the first place.

Day 56 - 57

On Saturday finally bought my painting equipment and the models I want to test paint on.  Walked over 50 floors of stairs!

On Sunday returned back to the shop for their painting session, but ended up making the models instead.  Turns out I'm crap in gluing small plastics pieces together...

Day 59 & 60

Some coding, but a lot less than what I did before when I started this detox journey.  Feel like I need to better pace myself.  Also the books I ordered back in January finally arrived!  I sometimes hate Malaysian postal services, but at least I got'em now :)

Day 73

Got back from work early today, tired of handling the endless support issues.   Did more painting again and started doing checkboard pattern on the white should pads of the models.  Is very difficult to get them perfect, maybe I need a finer brush...

Day 74 & 75

Yesterday did some painting and feel like I'm getting better!  Is nice to see progress right in front of your eyes and made with your own hands :)

Today didn't do much, got home late from shopping and just rest at home.

Day 76

Had to make a support call with a customer.  The invite was sent to me 10 minutes before the meeting without warning.  I love my job...

After work did some coding, mostly refactoring to keep the code clean.

You have a really good mindset when it comes to committing to coding! I know sometimes you write that you haven't done enough or as much as previously, but to spend a day at work then come home and code on top of it, I find that really impressive! 

• Like 1

Day 77 & 78

On Sunday did model painting at the store.  Though the people are friendly, I find myself feeling like an outsider.  The people just talk about Game Workshop stuff, which is normal I guess as it is a store belonging to Game Workshop.  Just feels odd that I can't join in the conversation as I just started the hobby and everyone knows each other.  I might not go once I get the hang of the painting on my own.

Monday back to work and again had to entertain a support call to the same customer on Friday.  This issue isn't going away anytime soon.  Today didn't do much, just looking for painting tools and continue my reading of Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship

On 3/24/2018 at 0:59 AM, Bugg said:

You have a really good mindset when it comes to committing to coding! I know sometimes you write that you haven't done enough or as much as previously, but to spend a day at work then come home and code on top of it, I find that really impressive! 

Thanks for the encouragement :)

• Like 1

Day 80

After work, started something I wanted to try for awhile: stripping off the paints of the models I've been working on.  This way I can keep practicing painting on the same models over and over.  Using an ultrasonic cleaner really helps speed up the process, though it's a bit messy to clean it.  Also ruined one of my models when I washed it with a paint cleaner.  It caused the model to slightly melt.  Lesson learned! 

Day 81

More cleaning up my coding and did a final round of stripping the paint of my models.  Then decided to experiment around with a few of them by cutting off bits of the model armor to try to get the effect of scratch or damage.  Then later I realized I could just look how to get the same effect by painting!  Ah well, always best to learn from your mistakes. 

Edited by burn-x