NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

burn-x's Journal

aaaaaa

Day 1

Went through all the training materials and already seeing positive differences.  I'm communicating more with my wife and I'm more aware of how I use my time.  I've even started using Passion Planner which I bought years ago!

Let's see how well I will do tomorrow after coming home from work...

• Like 3

Not playing games improved the relationship with my wife so much. Especially if you have a full-time job they'll take so muhc of your focus and energy. 

Why did you decide to quit? Where die games influence you in a bad way? If your able to see the WHY of this detox clearly it is easier to realize the HOW.

Best of luck. I hope this will be the start of an awesome year for you!

Day 2

Didn't go to work today as I caught the flu bug.  Was feeling under the weather during the weekend, so I knew it isn't a symptom of not gaming.  The doctor also confirmed it...

All the free time when not sleeping was a good test for my gaming detox which I'm happy to share that I went through without touching a game!  Focusing my attention on either programming or reading programming message boards really helped.  Though I noticed I would still mindlessly browse the web now and then.

Installed a website blocker add-on in my internet browser: StayFocused to help with this.

5 hours ago, WorkInProgress said:

Why did you decide to quit? Where die games influence you in a bad way?

My reasons for quitting are numerous, but one is o give a better life to my wife.  It's unfair for me to be engrossed in gaming while she is alone.  This isn't how married life is supposed to be.

• Like 1

Day 3

Same old programming stuff, though I think I need to mix things.  Started drafting how to blog what I'm learning.  Some writing will be a good experience...

Completed reading a pretty thick book: The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide.   Been reading it bit by bit, but decided to push through the last few chapters.  The book is a very good read for anyone new or already in Software Development field.  If anyone is interested in picking it up, I recommend getting the ebook version as there are tonnes of links the author refers to.

Next read will be another programming related book, but more technical.  Hopefully, I won't fall asleep :P

Day 4

Decided to take the plunge and start a blog.  Now thinking of topics to write that I can post every week.  Pretty exciting, though I hope can keep the motivation going in the long run.

Doing more programming stuff for writing materials for the blog.

Also had a bad day at work.  Management claims customers are important, but yet decide to remove fixes in our upcoming product release.  Nice...

Day 5

Less programming and more on setting up a few things regarding programming though.  

I also discovered how to only see your subscribed subreddits on the reddit frontpage.  Before when I visited reddit, I would see tonnes of subreddits that would distract me.  Who could resist r/aww?!  It wasn't possible to block all of reddit except for the few subreddit you were interested. 

So here is how to do it:

1. Go to https://www.reddit.com/subreddits
  2. Unsubsrcibed all the subreddit you don't to appear in the frontpage.  There are a few pages to go through

Now when you visit reddit only your subcribed subreddits posts are shown.

Day 6

Same old stuff, programming stuff for some writing materials for the blog

One interesting experience I had during my afternoon power nap is dreaming of gaming and somehow feeling guilty about it.  Woke up feeling relieved!  Might be signs of things to come though... 

Day 7

Ah, hitting the one week mark of not gaming.  Feels great!

Had an interesting conversion with my wife where she still thinks I'm gaming when I'm on my computer when I'm actually coding or drafting a post on my blog.  I guess it might take a little more time for me to break this stigma she has of me.

Day 8

Went hiking with mom and brother.  Normally we take a forest route, but today we took a pathed trail.  Though fairly easy, amazed how unfit I am.  I used to cycle all the time for school and with friends after school when in grade school.  Ought to figure out if I can workout more during the weekdays...

Today took a break from programming and picked up more reading. 

Day 11

My bad, forgot to post this update yesterday.  Instead of programming started doing some pixel art.  Seeing if I can balance out constant programming with something else:

jVvTHlN.png

Started reading the book, very entertaining and enlighting.

Day 12

After work went straight to the mall for dinner and groceries shopping with the Mrs.  Got home and started doodling with my sprite character.  It's hard to play around with shade of colors!

Edited by burn-x

Day 14

Yeah, 2 weeks of not gaming.  Another 10 more weeks to go :)

Today did a course on improving learning techniques, pretty interesting.  Hopefully, I can put it to good use during my self-studies on programming and other topics I wish to learn. 

Day 15

No programming today, but read on some subjects I might want to do for next week.  Did my usual house chores which I find actually more rewarding to do now.  Get the same feeling of accomplishment compared to gaming.

• Like 1

Day 16

Good old programming, this time trying out something I learned.  Never realized my numbers skills are awful!

14 hours ago, Cam Adair said:

Thanks for continuing to share your experience. What's one thing you've found journaling has helped you with so far?

This journal makes me accountable.  I know I have to update this journal everyday which motivates me to not fail.  No doubt I don't post the most amazingly detailed updates, but I'm glad I can strike one more day off as a success :)

Day 17

Today is day 1 of my company global planning where we start work late and go back late to sync with our HQ time in Europe.  I dislike these days, but at least we don't have to do work for two days :P

Back to programming too during my free time...

Day 18

Read on how to do some pathing and of course, did some programming for it :)

20 hours ago, BigOlBeartic said:

Congrats on making it this far :D What kind of programs do you make in your free time?

Now I'm trying to make a game!  Before quitting gaming, I used to tab in Node.js and Python for my own projects.  I got bored with the Node.js project, maybe because I didn't really have an end goal in what I wanted to develop.  For Python, I made a Discord bot to help pull upcoming battles data for my gaming clan.

I think my interest in games is making my transition to make them pretty painless, though I'm aware that it will open up more risks of me relapsing.  For now,, I'm learning new things and it's fun to challenge myself :)

7 hours ago, burn-x said:

Now I'm trying to make a game!  Before quitting gaming, I used to tab in Node.js and Python for my own projects.  I got bored with the Node.js project, maybe because I didn't really have an end goal in what I wanted to develop.  For Python, I made a Discord bot to help pull upcoming battles data for my gaming clan.

I think my interest in games is making my transition to make them pretty painless, though I'm aware that it will open up more risks of me relapsing.  For now,, I'm learning new things and it's fun to challenge myself :)

Thats cool :D from what I read from your blog, you seem to work in programming. Mid-last year, I changed my major to comp sci because I did free course over the summer about some programming basics and I had so much fun. Even now, I'm having so much fun. This semester I joined a gaming programming club actually and the first meeting for my team will be on monday and I'll learn about unity. How is it like working in programming?

Day 19

Spending a bit too much time programming now that I have a bug I have yet to figure out.  Hopefully can iron it out tomorrow...

18 hours ago, BigOlBeartic said:

Thats cool :D from what I read from your blog, you seem to work in programming. Mid-last year, I changed my major to comp sci because I did free course over the summer about some programming basics and I had so much fun. Even now, I'm having so much fun. This semester I joined a gaming programming club actually and the first meeting for my team will be on monday and I'll learn about unity. How is it like working in programming?

If you like solving technical problems, then you will enjoy being a Software Engineer as your career.  Just note that 90% of the time, you will be maintaining someone else code.  If you get the chance to do something new, jump on it immediately.  Such opportunities are rare :P

Have fun learning Unity!