NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Progress

WorkInProgress

What do I commit to?

I will keep this journal on a weekly basis to evalulate my progress and to invite like-minded people to give their input and their advice while I strive to reach my goals. I will invest atleast 15min in this journal every week not matter what happens.

What will this journal be about?

It will be about myself. About where I am, where I want to go and what I do to get to that place. I will use it to write out my (s.m.a.r.t) goals and projects, my progress, my failures and my successes. I will also write out my reasons for every goal I want to reach. It will be as specific as possible and goal oriented. It will document my progress over atleast the next year. It will motivate people to do as well or better then me and communicate with me over similar goals.

What will this journal not be about?

Rants about my private life or my fears. This will not be a tool of reflection of feelings. This will not be an intimate journal. It won't be personal or aimed to be entertaining.

Why don't I write in a private journal?

Because I want the approval of my peers and love feedback. It motivates me to improve and keep the commitments I make for myself.

• Like 4

Week 1: 21. December 2017

Challenge one: Give 100% at my current task.

If I commit to anything I want to give it 100%. I won't work all the time but if I do I want to focus as hard as I can. Right now I try a lot of things but my intensity is usually low-mediocre. I think of other things which could be more productive. Instead of following a preset plan I often deviate from it which in most cases distracts me from beeing productive.

It is a hard thing to measure my progress but I will do use the pomodorro technique to be focussed. I will also plan every week how much time I'll invest in different goals and projects and will measure the amount of the time where spent in pomodorro work mode without letting myself or others distract me. Only time will be counted which was spent in a successfull pomodorro. Even if I did 90% of my pomodorro time undistracted it won't count. I'll try to implement this at work to if I start to work. That also means no distraction, no audiobook no music, just raw focus and short breaks if the pomodorro is over. It will also require me to plan better.

I will achieve my goal if I spent at least 1 week with a productivity percentage (as above defined) of over 75% and with a planned work amount of more then 3,25 hours (or 6 pomodorros).

• Like 2

Week 2: 29. December 2017 - 5. January 2018

Goal one: av. 5/6 pomodori/day (not achieved)

last week: av. ca. 2/4 pomodori (planned to less even on the few days I hadn't free because of Christmas)

I did some pomodori last week. But I planned to little activities because I didn't communicate my goal well enough with my wife and also wanted to take time to relax over Christmas. There were a lot of social events which made it hard to make time for focused work. Still the time where I went to work focused went great. I am motivated to do better this wek

How do I want to achieve this goal this week? I'll update this post everyday with my daily pomodoro count. I'll talk with it about my wife that I want to have a productive week and will take every time I have to complete tasks in this focused way. If needed I will stay up longer. I'll make a todo list with things I can do besides cleaning/cooking and working on my project. so I#ll have no problems in finding work to do.

29. : 3/4
30. : 4/4 (with some hours of work without pomodoros. Forgot the pauses)

• Like 2

Week 3: 6. January 2017 - 13. January 2018

Goal one: av. 5/6 pomodori/day (not achieved)

29. : 3/4
30. : 4/4 (with some hours of work without pomodoros. Forgot the pauses)
31. : 1/2
01-05 : 1/1
06.: 8/8

My first goal wasn't thought through and went against my priorities in life. This was the last week I have at home before starting my new job and so I wanted to help my wife as much as possible and spent as muhc time with her and my son as I could. This priority with some more organisational things we did this week took my time this week. Yesterday at the 6. I cleaned for the first time as much as I wanted and did 8 pomodori of 30min with 5min breaks. felt awesome afterwards because this is somehting I would continually fail in the past. I will pause this goal but try to include pomodori in my new job and keep logging them here.

I will use this week to figure out my new life balance with ca. 10 hours away at work and then will decide on a new goal next week I am roking towards. I don'T want to commit anything not realistic but can't really know right now what is realistic. So this will be a reflection week.

• Like 1

Week 3: 13. January 2017 - 20. January 2018

I started a knew job as a Consultant and work primarily at a computer. This makes working with pomodoros both easier and more important.

This week I had 34 pomodoros in 5 days which is ok but in this setting not good enough. I want reach 10 P per day. I'll log the P-count as productivity measure every week friday and post here the results without further comment for later reference.

All in all I felt pretty energitized last week but too much coffee left me with some headaches. This brings me to my agenda for next week:

one coffee a day / cold shower if I shower  / 10 push-ups and 10 table rows every day (want to ease into a daily training habit)

• Like 1

Week 5: 29. January 2017 - 04. February 2018

Results

Coffe only after 4 Pomodori (failed)
cold showers (check)
10 PU / 12R / 20S (check)
Pomodori min 50 (failed/31)

Next week

cold showers
every two days times upper body (2*12 PU / 3*5 R)
every two days core and Legs (60 sec planks / 60 sec hipraise / 20 lunges (each leg))
pomodori 50 or more

• Like 1

Week 5: 29. January 2017 - 04. February 2018

Results

cold showers (failed)
every two days times upper body (2*12 PU / 3*5 R) (check)
every two days core and Legs (60 sec planks / 60 sec hipraise / 20 lunges (each leg)) (check)
pomodori 50 or more (failed)

Next week

cold showers
excercise (upper boddy, core and legs)
workout log
pomodori 50

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Week 7: 13. January 2017 - 17. February 2018

Results
cold showers [abandoned, 2/3 Weeks]
exercise [3/3 Weeks]
workout log [forgot 0/0 -> not priority]
pomodori 50 [abandoned -> 0/3 Weeks -> to harsh]

New measurable goals for this week

Exercise every day for 5min or more
do my work all my work tasks as fast as possible and only use half of the remaining time for programming
estimate time on every task and plan it in my pomodoro calendar.
Wear shirt, nice shoes and tie every day to work.

Reasons for goals

This minimum of exercise is needed to keep my muscles healthy at my desk job.
I need to be a better employee to feel good about myself again. Not working and programming all the time under the hood of "learning" isn't authentic and makes me feel bad about myself. If I manage to supersede the expectations in me then I can use the existing free time to improve my self on faintly work related tasks. But only then.
My time management needs to be extraordinary to be reliable and still be able to reach my personal goals.
I listened to an audio book which implied that styling yourself more professional than needed influences people implicitly in thinking you are taking your job serious and are professional. It also helps you to feel more professional. This is what I am aiming for with this goal. I also enjoy being well-dressed so this is a win-win-situation even if I get some flack for it at work.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WorkInProgress said:

I listened to an audio book which implied that styling yourself more professional than needed influences people implicitly in thinking you are taking your job serious and are professional. It also helps you to feel more professional. This is what I am aiming for with this goal. I also enjoy being well-dressed so this is a win-win-situation even if I get some flack for it at work.

Absolutely works in my experience.

• Like 1

Week 8: 19.  February 2018 - 25. February 2018

Results

Exercise every day for 5min or more (check)
do my work all my work tasks as fast as possible and only use half of the remaining time for programming
estimate time on every task and plan it in my pomodoro calendar. (failed, because not a proper metric)
Wear shirt, nice shoes and tie every day to work. (

Measurable goals for this week

Exercise every day for 5min or more
Wear a shirt and shave every day to work and buy new fitting basics. 
Leave a voice mail in telegram/whatsapp at 3 persons that are important to me daily.

Reasons for goals

I don't have the best wardrobe yet (so for example my tie doesn't look good with my more casual shirts). That is why I tried to buy some clothes on amazon but sadly they didn't fit well. So I'll need to buy some clothes in person in a shop. 

I spend a lot of time at work and at home with my wife and son. While these are great investments of time and in line with my priorities, I want to also let the other people outside my inner circle know that they are important to me.

• 4 weeks later...

-> stopped this recording here because it wasn't my priority. I think it won't change in the enar future, because I have a good planning routne right now and it is offline. I don'T want spent too mcuh time creating more or less arbitrary weekly goals and isntead focus on family, work and important habits in this order. Just in case someone was worried. I am doing fine and thank you for your thoughts.

• Like 2