NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Joe

wookieshark88

Please don't go for 100%. Every person needs to have some rest and quiet time. Studying or working can not be done 100% or even 120% like some people do.

I also need to study for school but if I am not in the mood I can not do it - I usually start early enough to get into a phase where I am in the mood to study so I don't need to force myself.

Hmm should I also restart to meditate? I did not get into it yet...

You are all correct in your assessments. Before I started writing my journal, I decided that today would be best used as a day of rest. I left work a little bit early and went to the library. I studied just a bit then I picked a comfortable corner in the back of the library and continued reading my book, Siddhartha. Tom, I do mean the one by Herman Hesse. It's such a wonderful and relaxing book. I think it is wonderfully thoughtful book that speaks our human condition. Even though my life is much different than Siddhartha's, I feel like he's such a deeply relatable character. I'm not done with it yet, but I'll be happy to discuss it when I finish!

I really need to follow Brene Brown's advice about perfectionism. I don't need to be perfect because I am enough just the way I am. Procrastination hasn't been a problem for me at all since I quit games. It's just tricky to strike the right balance between being a father, a husband, a student, and an employee.

Cordharel, I think you should do some meditation. I'm pretty biased because I have grown to love meditation in the four months since I began. If you have any questions about it, I would be more than happy to give you some tips.

I'm thankful for:

1. All of the words of wisdom and encouragement that have been shared with me here.
  2. My wife for making dinner tonight!
  3. Having a chance to slow down for a little while today.
  4. Being reminded that perfectionism is not helpful to anybody.
  5. My baby for babbling to my parents on the phone.
  6. Having a nice warm home on the first cold day of the year.
  7. The local library. I'm very happy for all the time I've spent there lately.
  8. My cat, Yuri. He sits with me every morning and meditates with me.
  9. The story of Siddhartha. It's comforting reading.
  10. Being happy. As long is I can be happy and share that with others, things are good.

Today was great!  I took my midterm and feel pretty confident that I did well.  Also, we all had to turn in our notebooks for grading which is great because I won't have the urge to work on it until I get it back!  Instead of taking notes and studying during my lunch break like I have been doing for weeks now, I took a 30 minute walk.  It was fantastic.

After work, I played with my baby until it was time to put her to bed.  My brain is a little fried from everything lately and I had trouble focusing.  To get past this feeling I stood in front of my whiteboard for probably 10 minutes searching my mind for things I want to get done today.  I figured that if I could just get them written down, I could just turn my brain off a little bit and just follow what I wrote down.  This has been working splendidly, and I've completed about half of what I need to do without having to think about it.  I read the whiteboard, do something on the list and repeat.  Right now I'm on the "journal" part of my list.

My whiteboard experience this evening makes me think of why it's important to have a sense of playfulness in our lives.  In a video game, I would take on any challenge a game would throw at me.  If my strategy didn't work, I would just tinker with my strategy until I found a way to achieve my victory.  This is what I'm doing now.  My goal was to use my brain to figure out what to do and do it.  The brain isn't firing on all cylinders right now so I just made a little workaround so I wouldn't need to rely on it so much.  This mentality is how my exercise routines have developed, my eating habits and weight loss came to be, and a bunch of other good stuff in my life.

That's all I can handle writing for today.

I'm thankful for:

1. Getting half way through the semester.
  2. Having a wonderful family.
  3. Finding creative ways to get things done.
  4. Feeling extra happy today.
  5. Taking a walk through my old neighborhood today.  It reminds me of how far I've come in life.
  6. The cat that's sitting on my arms and trying his best to distract me from finishing this entry.
  7. Only having moderate stomach discomfort today.  This is a huge improvement from being doubled over in pain last week.
  8. Having a slower weekday than usual.
  9. Having a chance to make my wife dinner tonight.  I want to reciprocate her kindness!
  10. Having a safe commute without caffeine.

If my strategy didn't work, I would just tinker with my strategy until I found a way to achieve my victory.  This is what I'm doing now.  My goal was to use my brain to figure out what to do and do it. 

100%. So much truth in this. I think for whatever reason we always expect the answers to be there... so when they are not we just give up. When really, it's up to our own persistence and creativity to find the answers we're looking for sometimes.

Today was a really good day.  My meditation first thing in the morning felt so brightening on my mind.  I could tell from that moment that I was going to be happy all day.  Nothing special happened at all today.  I was just mindful of how I wasn't looking for spare moments to study.  At lunch time, I walked outside and sat at a picnic table and just read my book for half an hour.  I was aware of how much of a treat this was for me and just basked in every minute of it.

My stomach feels pretty bad right now, but I'm still happy.  My evening with my baby was good.  I played with her a bit, gave her a bath, and helped her go to sleep for the night.  After that, I read a few news articles and am now writing my journal entry.  I really think that today would not have been so pleasant if I didn't have the mindset of being in the moment and appreciating each moment for what it was.

Now, my wife is home and helping me get a few things done that I wasn't able to complete.

I'm thankful for:

1. My wife picking up the slack when I can't do any more.
  2. Reading.  I'm almost done with Siddhartha!
  3. My morning meditation.
  4. My generally positive work environment.
  5. Having a couple of cats curled up on my legs.
  6. Not studying today.
  7. Enjoying the whole day.
  8. Reading some of the posts on this site.  There's a lot of wonderful things on here!
  9. My mother in law for doing little chores around the house.  I need to do something really special for her one of these days.
  10. Feeling at peace in my home.  For many years my home caused me anxiety, depression, and was little more than a front for my video game addiction.

Today was a good day again.  Class was dismissed early so I was able to get back to work earlier than normal.  I was also very safe on the road today, and did not have any caffeine.  My task at work is challenging so I'm enjoying that.  My baby and I had lots of fun when I got home, and she was able to get to sleep easily when the time came.

The book I'm listening to now is "Total Recall" by Arnold.  It's actually a really good listen that fits right in with the theme of the "Slight Edge" and "Think and Grow Rich".  This is actually what I was hoping for.  I'm not too far into the book yet, but it's been great.  I would recommend it for sure.

I'm pretty tired after today so I'm going to end my entry now.

I'm thankful for:

1. Not having stomach pain today.
  2. Having a challenge at work.
  3. Having a good day without caffeine.
  4. Having another good book to get into.
  5. Getting in a good walk today.
  6. Having delicious pumpkin ravioli for dinner tonight.
  7. Having a good meditation session.
  8. Having good focus throughout the day.
  9. Having an easy class today.
  10. Relaxing with my wife.

I want to read Arnold's other book: Arnold. Can't find it on Audible. :(

His podcast interview with Tim Ferriss was incredible too.

I've just started going through his podcast; listened to the Arnold interview the other day. It was awesome. I never knew that much about Arnold... after listening to that, mad respect.

I've just started going through his podcast; listened to the Arnold interview the other day. It was awesome. I never knew that much about Arnold... after listening to that, mad respect.

Have you seen his documentary Pumping Iron? It's amazing as well.

If you have problems with your stomach and want to quit coffeine/coffee you might try out black/green tea if you are not able to quit alltogether. 

I started to take a black tea at work as I don't want to drink coffee all the time. Just make sure you put the tea bag in for just 1-2 minutes.

Have you seen his documentary Pumping Iron? It's amazing as well.

Arnold is basically the living embodiment of the person described in "Think and Grow Rich" and the "Slight Edge".  I still need to listen to his Tim Ferriss podcast.  I've been doing lots of audio books and haven't listened to the podcast.  That's okay because I'll be able to binge listen when I'm ready to switch back to podcasts.

Cordharel, I agree about switching to green tea.  I really like having green tea and was doing that, but it really gets old to feel like I just got punched in the gut for hours on end so I just quit all caffeine.  The headache and minor fatigue that I had for two days is nothing in comparison.  Now, I'm free of caffeine and will pick up green tea after I get it all in order.  There are so many things I want to eat when I get better!  I am proud of myself for being able to control my intake the was I have for the last few months.

Today was really good!  I had no stomach pains all day again which is awesome.  I was able to speed walk for my entire lunch time which was great too!  Listening to Arnold has been pumping me up too (pun completely intended).  I highly recommend this book to anybody for entertainment purposes and to see the principles of other books put into practice.

I've been working on developing a new process at work, and it's been really enjoyable.  It's been stretching my abilities and knowledge at work which is awesome.  Once I figure it all out, I'm going to help create the instructions so others can start doing it too.

I'm thankful for:

1. No stomach pains today!
  2. Not having too many plans for the weekend.
  3. A new record low weight.  31 down and 4 to go!
  4. Getting in some nice walks today.
  5. Having a lot of fun time with my baby this evening!
  6. My wife bringing home dinner.
  7. Having a successful work week.
  8. Regaining energy as the week went on.
  9. Being happy with life.
  10. Having wife time as soon as my entry is complete.

Any idea where your stomach pains are coming from? I used to have them really bad (food related) so happy to investigate it with you if you're unsure.

The first time I had gastritis I was drinking a lot and really unhappy with my life situation.  This time it's probably just a combination of too many coffees, teas, spicy food, the pressure of the midterm, and being constantly busy.  I've started on probiotics today and feel pretty good!  Of course I can't be sure if the probiotics are helping because I've also eliminated the caffeine, spicy stuff, and have had a much easier week.  Either way things are looking up!  I also found that chamomile tea is very stomach friendly so I'm getting my hot beverage fix from that.

Today was great!  The family and I had a fairly low key day today.  I was able to hang out with a friend for a few hours, and there weren't too many chores to do around the house.  We're about to make pizza with white sauce and no acidic components completely from scratch!  I made the dough myself too which I had learned from a workshop at an Italian restaurant.

I'm feeling very happy and content and have been that way all day long.  My wife and I really needed a weekend where we got to slow down for a while.  We dressed up the baby like a bear for the shopping trip too, haha.  I never thought that I would ever enjoy dressing up a baby...ever.  Fatherhood, quitting games, and focusing on personal development have completely changed me in ways that I am proud of!

I'm thankful for:

1. All the people who ever gave us baby clothes.  We have an assortment of animal outfits for our daughter!
  2. Being mindful all day.  I still need to meditate which I will do after dinner.
  3. My wife for being the kind of person who adds to the richness of life.
  4. My baby for bouncing around all day and being a blast to spend time with.
  5. Having a lull in my classwork to just recenter myself.
  6. Homemade pizza!
  7. My new friend is really cool!
  8. Having this forum to talk to excellent people!
  9. Not having any pain again today!
  10. Not having very many chores left for the rest of the weekend.

Today was a good day with some speed bumps thrown in.  Swim class was really nice, and my baby is really starting to enjoy the water more and more.  She was kicking and splashing the whole time.  It was awesome.  After that, we went to have breakfast.  I got apple crisp French toast and it was AWESOME.  The whole meal was just delightful.  Speaking of delightful meals, last nights pizza was one of the best pizzas I've ever had!

Once we got home from swimming and breakfast, my wife and baby went to have a nap.  I thought that it would be a great thing to make a big batch of split pea soup for them to wake up too!  While they slept I got to work cooking.  They both work up while the soup was on the stove cooking which was a nice surprise for them!  I went to do my meditation while the soup was simmering on the stove.  When I came back to the kitchen the pot was billowing with smoke.  The soup looked like it was boiling, but instead of steam, smoke was pouring out of it.  I had accidentally left the burner on too high.  The soup was burned.  I burned the soup...  How do you burn soup!?  I'm so ashamed.  Once I got the smoke to stop pouring out of the pot, I looked into the pot.  It looked normal and really good in there.  I have made split pea soup many times before, and it has always been delicious and popular so I figured out would try it out.  It tasted like pea flavored charcoal.  Ugh, I made a huge pot that would have fed us for dinner and for lunch every day this week.  I had no other choice but to throw it out.

Looking for a change of pace to take our minds for the great soup fire of 2015, we decided to go to the outlet mall.  I needed a shirt or two, and my wife needed some stuff too.  Our baby is so much fun there hamming it up for anybody who would give her attention.  We got what we needed, got some good walking in, let the house air out, and had some fun!

When we got home, it was time to give the baby her bath.  I go to draw the water for her but it doesn't warm up.  So instead of giving her a bath, I go down to the basement to tinker around with the hot water heater.  Thankfully, I got it all figured out and reset in a few minutes, but the water wasn't going to be warm enough in time for her bath.  Being the improvising guy that I am, I just strip her down and wipe down every inch of her body with baby wipes and put her in her pajamas.  I took her over to my wife to see if she passed the sniff test.  My wife has a very sensitive nose so if she didn't smell anything bad it was going to be bed time for the baby.  Success was had!  I had baby wiped all of the odors off of my baby.

I am the master of getting my baby to bed without fussing so I went to go do the bedtime routing...and failed.  My baby was jumping, screaming, twisting, and sobbing.  It was disastrous. Thankfully, my wife was able to get her down with the ease that I usually have.  Now, I'm journaling and sipping my chamomile tea while thinking about the successes and failures of the day with a humorous attitude.  This is the kind of stuff that would have just stressed me out, but I am so much more grounded that I ever have been.  My wife and I have laughed about the day as a whole, and she's wrapping up dinner now so I don't burn the house down.  I needed this to be a long journal entry to just get it all out.

I'm thankful for:

1. My wife helping me recover from my missteps.
  2. Knowing that she is there for me when I need her.
  3. Having no stomach pains again.  I'm getting better!
  4. My baby being so kind to people at the outlet.
  5. Having fun and being able to laugh.
  6. Having the chance to reset for tomorrow.
  7. My wife allowing me to make split pea soup next weekend.  I really want to redeem myself (and I love split pea soup).
  8. Swim class.  I look forward to it every week.
  9. Dinner.  Roasted veggies with turkey kielbasa is tasty!
  10. Post baby bed time.  It's so relaxing and I always feel like a champion after a day well done.

Haha I've definitely burned soup before. It's deceptive, you think it's going to be ok until you taste it. :(

One trick I learned (after my burning experience) was this: When you burn soup, don't mix it all together (your first reaction tends to be this.) Instead, take out another pot and dump the soup into it. The burned parts will remain on the other pot and won't mess up the other one as much. It should still be edible.

Happy to hear your stomach is feeling better.

Haha I've definitely burned soup before. It's deceptive, you think it's going to be ok until you taste it. :(

One trick I learned (after my burning experience) was this: When you burn soup, don't mix it all together (your first reaction tends to be this.) Instead, take out another pot and dump the soup into it. The burned parts will remain on the other pot and won't mess up the other one as much. It should still be edible.

Happy to hear your stomach is feeling better.

With any luck, I won't ever have to follow your advice because my soup burning days are behind me.  Today I totally redeemed myself by making baked chicken breasts topped with mushrooms and mozzarella cheese with a side of asparagus and fingerling potatoes!  The chicken was so moist and flavorful and it all went together so well as a rustic dinner.  It feels good to have my latest cooked meal be a success!  Split pea soup is still on the menu for this weekend and I will erase my failure with another success!

Today was really good!  My stomach has felt awesome all day today.  Every other day my stomach as either felt uneasy or painful, but not today!  I've been taking probiotics for a few days now and am on day 2 of a 7 day cleanse.  This alone makes today great!  I'm wrapping up my habits with my journal entry and am anxious to get back to wife time.

I'm thankful for:

1. Having my stomach feel really good all day!
  2. Cooking something good.
  3. My baby giving me the biggest smile when I got home.
  4. Having a really peaceful day.
  5. Feeling stronger during my morning exercises.
  6. My cat for hanging out with me during journal writing time.
  7. Being able to smile all day.
  8. My wife taking care of the baby while I made dinner.
  9. Not feeling any signs of asthma for the last few days.
  10. Getting to read a few journals today.

Today was another good day.  Class was good, and it seems like we're going at a little bit of a slower pace than we were.  This is really nice because it makes it easier to keep up with the coursework.  I got an A- on my notebook, but no midterm results yet.

Work was pretty basic today.  I went it, worked, and left.  My exercise there was good too.

My morning meditation has seemed fairly unfocused for a few days now.  I'm still doing it every day and enjoying it, but it doesn't feel like the most productive thing lately.  Perhaps I'm just becoming more aware of my thoughts.

I'm thankful for:

1. A new record low weight.  32 down and 3 to go!
  2. Doing well on my notebook grade.
  3. Having leftovers for dinner instead of having to cook.  It leaves more time for studying.
  4. Only having minor stomach discomfort. It's been days since any bad pain!
  5. Having a productive study session today.
  6. Having a good amount of play time with my baby.
  7. Having a safe drive to and from school.
  8. Having a good attitude throughout the day.
  9. Resting at the end of the day.
  10. Having some nice conversations with people at work.