NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Joe

wookieshark88

Today has been a good day. It's as busy as yesterday, but so far I have been energetic and focused. My meditation, exercise, reading (listening), and food journaling have been completed as usual. I'm really happy that I'm able to keep up with all my habits despite not stopping from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. It's probably not sustainable for many days on end, but that's okay because we're going to have a laid back weekend. I'll need it for sure! I should journal a breakdown of my days so that I can keep track of how I'm doing.

Breakdown of time for yesterday:
Morning Routine - 1 hour
Driving - 4 hours
School - 2 hours
Work - 6.5 hours
Doctor's Appointment - .5 hours
Study - 1.75 hours
Cooking - .25 hours
Family Time - 1 hour
Sleep - 7 hours
Total - 24 hours

Breakdown of time for today (projected):
Morning Routine - 1 hour
Driving - .75 hours
Work - 10.5 hours
Doctor's Appointment - 1 hour
Cooking - .5 hours
Study - 1.5 hours
Family Time - 1.5 hours
Sleep - 7.25 hours
Total - 24 hours

It's pretty clear to me that the added stress of video games or craving them would make these days impossible. Also, the good habits really give a boost of energy that is worth was more time than they take up. Tomorrow is my first exam of the semester too which is why the studying needs to be there. Cooking is fun and relaxing for me (as well as healthy and money saving). Work is how I pay my bills, school, gas, and everything else I use to advance towards my goals.. School and studying is to reach my goals. Doctor's visits help to keep me in top health. Driving is because I don't yet own a self driving car to convert that time into a better use. Family time is because all achievements mean nothing without my family. Sleep is so I live long enough to reach my goals.

I'm thankful for:

1. Learning how to craft myself into a more capable self.
  2. Not wasting time with games.
  3. Having supporting people who allow me to do what I do.
  4. Feeling positive.
  5. Taking moments to just be in the moment.
  6. My car. That thing is still serving me well into its 14th year.
  7. The weather is awesome again.
  8. The food that I will grill for dinner.
  9. Slimming down as much as I have. Just a little more to go!
  10. Cats. They're so low maintenance, and I still get to be a pet owner!

Today was another success. I was able to get to class 10 minutes early and get ready for the exam. It was a fairly easy exam and I expect that I'll have scored around 100% (there were extra credit questions that I felt comfortable with). This is the exact class I needed to take for this semester, my first one as a father. It's not difficult but interesting still. If I'm going to be this busy, I need to enjoy what I'm doing.

Work is going well today too. I'm going to a meeting tomorrow as the department representative for my first project. It's not the biggest project, but that's good because I'm determined to use it to show what I can do. As long as I have the Slight Edge mentality with this project, I think I'll do great! My boss has been pleased with my time management skills too which feels good. I'm making progress on mastering this job (one of my goals).

I really can't wait to spend time with my daughter this evening. I didn't get to do much with her the last two days because I had my doctor's appointments. I finally get to read those books I bought with her! Also, today is her 6 month birthday! It's funny because the time seems to have flown by, but at the same time it feels like she's been in my life for such a long time. I wonder if this paradox is common with other parents. I guess I'll just have to ask some.

Habits have been going very well. For the third day in a row, my meditation has been spectacular. I don't know if I'm just getting better at it or if I'm just on a hot streak with it. Reading (listening) has been going well. I'm halfway through Darwin's "The Origin of Species". It's a book if heard so much about all my life (like we all have). There's so many differing opinions on his work, but I'm glad I finally get to form my own opinion from firsthand experience. The man is a damn genius! It would be a very hard book to read so listening is a great option. I never knew how he thoroughly addressed so many detractors in the book using specific examples from data and observations from scientists the world over. At lot of the criticisms he addressed are ones that I've heard people bring up today. I would recommend this book for sure as long as you go into it knowing that some percentage of it will be in over your head unless you are well versed in biology.

I'm thankful for:

1. My daughter's 6 month birthday!
  2. Thanksgiving is coming soon(ish) and the wife and I are going to make a full spread. It's easily my favorite holiday!
  3. Getting the opportunity to get some responsibility at work.
  4. Doing well on the exam.
  5. Driving safely.
  6. Meditation.
  7. Fall weather. It's the best weather around here.
  8. Having a relatively less busy day today.
  9. Having no anxiety today.
  10. Getting my exercise in.

You're very positive man and I'm glad to see how well things are working out for you. You handle the good and crappy days with a positive spirit and that's awesome :)

?That, my friend, is a newly acquired skill of mine. It's is also how I achieve success in all my different goals.

Happiness is the key to success, not the other way around.

Today was a fantastic Friday! I think I've reached a new level in my meditation, and it's impacting my life quite noticeably. During the day, I am able to take the time to just observe a moment with a neutral mind. Sometimes I'll look inside myself and observe the emotions and thoughts. I'm starting to be able to let unnecessary ones go while basking in desirable ones. I've been at it every day for 82 days now, and it's been such a blessing in my life.

I listened to Tim Ferriss today. It was the episode about psychoactive drugs. I've never done any before, but it really piqued my attention. What has me most interested is the spiritual aspect of it. I have my own very basic form of spirituality, but I wouldn't mind seeing if or how this kind of experience would influence it. This is something I may have to try in a few years or so. It sounds like something that should be thought about, researched, and planned well in advance to ensure that it is a safe and proper experience.

Work was really good today. I went to a meeting for the project I'll be taking a lead on and got to know a bunch of the players and an overview of what's going on. My positive demeanor helped me to have friendly conversations with them so that we know each other and feel comfortable communicating together. It's been a while since I've been in this atmosphere, and it's nice.

I was able to get home nice and early today and spend some real quality time with my daughter. I haven't really had too much time with her since last Sunday. We had a blast together! We read a bunch of her new books, sang, danced, laughed, went for a walk, had dinner... we had a blast. I know that the old me would have seen this much time at home as an opportunity to get some gaming time in. I'm so happy I'm not that person anymore.

I'm thankful for:

1. Getting through week 3 of the semester in style. All habits are intact, all assignments are done, all family members are cared for, and all is going well in the workplace.
  2. Having the most positive work environment I've had in years.
  3. Not gaining weight since class started. I usually gain during the semester.
  4. Having a great evening with my family.
  5. Relaxing.
  6. Happiness.
  7. Having the courage to chase dreams.
  8. My friend that I made. He's taught me some good stuff.
  9. Feeling content.
  10. Personal growth.

Today was such a great day! There was a food festival at the local Greek Orthodox church. I loooooove Greek food! I bought a bunch of it and brought it to the inlaws' house so we can all enjoy it together. Every time I eat their food, I consider converting because it is definitely god inspired food.

My meditation has most definitely reached a new level this morning. I had quite the unique experience that I have been dwelling on all day. I need to keep my experience private for now. What I will say is that meditation will be an important practice for me for the rest of my life. Mindfulness during the day is starting to become more natural to me. It has become a passion for me to explore and expand my practice.

I was able to spend a few hours in the library by myself today. This gave me the chance to study, browse the audio books, and get some different books for the baby. I have four audio books in my backpack now including The Origin of the Species which I'm halfway through!

I'm thankful for:

1. Having the time to read other people's journals. You are all inspiring to me (seriously, I draw inspiration from your words).
  2. Being able to play with my baby a lot. She is my treasure.
  3. Greek food! Take my money!
  4. Smiling a lot. It feels so good.
  5. Becoming a more mindful person. I love this personal development journey I'm on.
  6. Joining this forum!
  7. Baby swimming class tomorrow!
  8. Being excited with life. I've never had that feeling for so long before.
  9. Baby smiles! It's one of the most wonderful things ever.
  10. My wife. She's perfect for me.

Today was the perfect day to have heading into the workweek. We had swim class with my baby which was a blast! At one point she starting crying because she swallowed a bit of water, but her little friend who is 4 days older than her came over and cheered her right up! He and that little boy are so cute together. Swim class is a great place to get to know some parents. I'm really happy to have it be a part of the family's weekly routine.

The wife and I accomplished a bunch of cleaning, laundry, homework, and cooking today. We also went to have lunch with her parents which was delicious! We ate outside at a byob seafood place. The weather was picturesque. We even got to take a nap this afternoon. I couldn't ask for more!

Meditation was good today. I was hoping to have a session like yesterday's, but that's okay that I didn't. I'm sure there will be plenty of great experiences to be had as I continue to meditate.

I'm thankful for:

1. Having the perfect Sunday.
  2. Getting things done while having fun along the way.
  3. My baby's friend.
  4. Having a solid mental foundation. I've spent many years without one.
  5. My wife. Today wouldn't have been as great without her.
  6. Getting a little bit ahead with my studies.
  7. My baby's new leopard print pajamas. They're half cute and half ridiculous.
  8. Having plenty of work do to tomorrow.
  9. All the books I'm going to read!
  10. Keeping all my habits without wasting willpower to do so.

Today was a good day, but it wasn't the easiest. I had lots of energy to start the day, but I hit a wall in the afternoon and never got my energy back. I got everything done that I needed to as well as my habits. I'll probably have more energy tomorrow.

I was able to get a little bit more ahead in my studies today which will help this week be a little easier.

My mind doesn't really feel like thinking of more things to write so I'm going to wrap up. Just like my meditation, sometimes the quality isn't that great, but sticking with it every day has yielded fantastic results.

I'm thankful for:

1. The delicious morning smoothie my wife made me before work.
  2. Having some good laughs with my baby when I got home.
  3. Going for a walk with my wife when she got home from work.
  4. The fall weather. It's the best time of year around here.
  5. Learning about more books I should read.
  6. Resolving a conflict I had with a company.
  7. Making progress even when it isn't the easiest thing to do.
  8. Being able to smile throughout the day.
  9. Teaching my baby the joy of reading. She gets very excited for our favorite book!
  10. The wonderful dinner my wife and I made.

Today was good and more energy filled than yesterday! I still feel a little more sluggish than usual, but I'm trending in the right direction. I got my results back from my first test (99%). It's good to have strong start to the semester. I just have to keep it up!

I got my blood work done today, and I have a new goal. My goal is to get my cholesterol under control. It is way too high! Blood pressure and weight are doing good though. Besides losing those last nine pounds, I need to get my cholesterol under 200 (I don't feel like looking up the units even though numbers without units annoy me). Today I was at 267 which is not good.

Here is my strategy to get it right:

1. I must not eat more than 3 eggs a week.
  2. I will make a habit of eating walnuts for my 9:30 AM snack when I used to have my eggs.
  3. I will have a small bowl of oatmeal in the afternoon around 2:00 PM.
  4. I will keep exercising.
  5. I will get my blood work done in a month or two to see how much progress I made.

I'm thankful for:

1. Becoming aware that I need to fix my cholesterol.
  2. Having a strong start to the semester.
  3. Playing with my baby.
  4. Being able to read the different posts on the forums.
  5. Not gaining any weight. I'm still nine pounds from my goal!
  6. The turkey tetrazini my wife and I made last night for dinner.
  7. Being almost done with Origin of the Species. I'm excited to start listening to Marcus Aurelius!
  8. Knowing how to make habits.
  9. Baby books.
  10. Progressing towards all of my goals.

?I got my blood work done today, and I have a new goal. My goal is to get my cholesterol under control. It is way too high! Blood pressure and weight are doing good though. Besides losing those last nine pounds, I need to get my cholesterol under 200 (I don't feel like looking up the units even though numbers without units annoy me). Today I was at 267 which is not good.

Here is my strategy to get it right:

1. I must not eat more than 3 eggs a week.

Hey man, you're making a mistake! I read your entry and I had to say something. I know you don't feel like looking up the units, but you should! This link has a short article which can provide a basic understanding: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Cholesterol/hic_what_do_cholesterol_numbers_mean?

When it comes down to it, all you really need to worry about are your HDL and LDL levels, and how they compare to each other. The higher the ratio of HDL to LDL, the healthier you are, and least at risk for heart disease. HDL is found in a lot of healthy foods, and eggs is one of the most important sources of HDL! I eat on average 20-25 eggs per week, and I probably should eat more. Eggs are incredibly good for you, in fact you should really check out this link: http://www.healthextremist.com/are-eggs-good-for-you-30-reasons-to-eat-eggs/

?That link tells you all you need to know about eggs, and even links studies where participants who ate more eggs had lower LDL levels, than those who didn't, and higher HDL levels, which is EXACTLY what you want. The number you got for cholesterol is not near as important as you think. If you read the first link I gave you it will tell you what you want the numbers to look like. If your cholesterol level is high but your LDL levels are low and your HDL levels are high, then you're very healthy.

?I do think the rest of your strategy is sound. More exercise is great, and walnuts are a healthy source of fats. I like them too :) Seriously though, eat as many eggs as you can xD

Edited by Zane

Zane is right! Cholesterol by itself doesn't mean anything, you have to check your LDL and HDL.

And congrats for doing the blood test! Not many people go to do it, because they don't want to face reality. We have to know the good news and also the bad news, so that we can take action. We already have a short life, why not try to extend it while we can?

The steps seem alright! Maybe just do a research on what Zane said about the eggs. While eating snacks like walnuts and eating oatmeal is very nice, you still have to be careful on what you eat in the main meals. I don't know if you already wrote about it, but stay away from red meat and go towards white meat and fish. Personally I also eat a lot of vegetables and soup (thanks to my parents). Vegetables are really easy to cook and if you cook a soup, it lasts for some 4-5 days, depending on the amount and how many people are going to eat it.

Also congrats for being close to your weight goal! :D

I really appreciate the advice on the matter of cholesterol! I'm going to take it under consideration and see how it goes. I started eating differently today, and I plan and getting my numbers checked again soon to see how they respond. I want to see if I can get the numbers right before going to a doctor because I don't really want prescription medications if I can avoid them. I already eat a ton of vegetables and fruits so I'll have to keep an eye on the red meats!

Today I had a bit more energy than yesterday. I was able to exercise more and keep my habits like always.

I'm thankful for:

1. A new record low weight. 27 down and 8 to go!
  2. Enjoying my new foods.
  3. Reading lots of books with my baby.
  4. Using the grill for dinner.
  5. Dealing with lots of thoughts during my meditation. I was able to acknowledge and let them go.
  6. Getting a lot done at work.
  7. My goals and my belief that I can achieve them.
  8. Getting my school assignment done early.
  9. Having a positive mindset.
  10. 90 days of no gaming! I'm so happy about this!

Congrats on 90 days man! In the next few weeks it could be cool to put together a case study on your journey so far. I think it's a great example of simple changes leading to powerful results. The truth is, there hasn't been anything fancy about your success... you followed the recommended steps, had the right attitude (you actually wanted to move on for the right reasons) and took action daily. Voila!

Congrats on 90 days man! In the next few weeks it could be cool to put together a case study on your journey so far. I think it's a great example of simple changes leading to powerful results. The truth is, there hasn't been anything fancy about your success... you followed the recommended steps, had the right attitude (you actually wanted to move on for the right reasons) and took action daily. Voila!

?I'd love to help!

Today has been the best day so far this week! I've had more and more energy since the week has gone on. It's kind of weird. I must be the only guy in the world who keeps doing better and better throughout the work week. I got a lot done at work, was very attentive in class, didn't get very sleepy on my drive, had so much fun with my baby, got a lot of homework done, and had relaxing time with my wife!

Earlier this morning, I was dragging a little bit and was a little bit cranky. I practiced my mindfulness and realized that I didn't really have a good reason to be upset. Then I thought about how I was working so hard to be successful and happiness is the key to success. This little thought sequence just cheered me up, and I proceeded to kick ass for the rest of the day.

I'm thankful for:

1. Lots of energy.
  2. Getting things done.
  3. My daily glass of cholesterol lowering wine.
  4. Being happy. As a lifelong sufferer of depression, this is a big deal!
  5. Mindfulness.
  6. Getting a lot of homework done. I don't always get a chance to do homework every evening.
  7. Baby laughs. It's the ultimate compliment. They're 100% genuine.
  8. Confidence.
  9. Learning that happiness is the key to success.
  10. Fall weather.

?I'd love to help!

I must be the only guy in the world who keeps doing better and better throughout the work week.

?It's amazing how much of an impact a few quality habits every day can make. Imagine if everyone was executing this kind of mindfulness every day. ;)

I'll keep you posted. Excited to put together a few more case studies for people to follow.

Today was a great day! I had morning fun time with my baby. She was in a great mood, and she gets funner the older she gets. It's such a wonderful thing to be in the moment when I'm playing with her and not passing time until a video game session. I cannot imagine a better feeling than making her crack up with laughter!

After morning playtime, I went to the library to study, do homework, and get my baby some different books for the week. It was such a such an effective use of my time. Library time is by far the most academically productive time for me. My wife is awesome that she'll spend a few hours holding down the fort at home while I get my schoolwork in order.

After that, we brought the baby to grandma's house for playtime while the wife and I went to a huge corn maze! The weather was absolutely perfect for us to get some good exercise and have lots of fun! We didn't complete the maze like we did in 2013, but lots of laughs were had. We walked around that thing for about two and a half hours before deciding to get back to our baby. In 2013 we didn't have a baby so we were able to just keep at it until we completed it. Last year, the wife was limited in her mobility due to the pregnancy so we didn't go. Maybe the baby will want to go next year!

Besides all of that, we got our groceries and did a bit of laundry. Tomorrow will be cooking, cleaning, organizing, and having more fun.

I'm thankful for:

1. Getting homework done.
  2. Good sales at the grocery store.
  3. Having fun at the corn maze.
  4. Getting lots of exercise at the corn maze.
  5. Baby laughs.
  6. A wife I can trust.
  7. Being at peace all day.
  8. Relaxing with a cat on my lap.
  9. Completing habits.
  10. Progressing towards goals.

Hey Joe,

I just spend some time browsing through your older journal entries and I thought I would just leave a quick response. Seems like your journey is going quite well! Keep up the good work. It seems like you're doing a great job and it's awesome that you'll be able to be the kind of dad you want to be for your daughter.

Hey Joe,

I just spend some time browsing through your older journal entries and I thought I would just leave a quick response. Seems like your journey is going quite well! Keep up the good work. It seems like you're doing a great job and it's awesome that you'll be able to be the kind of dad you want to be for your daughter.

?It's going great! I'm honored that you would take the time to read my words! I hope they were helpful for you.

This place has been getting very busy! I wanted to read every new post, but I have to just buckle down and write my journal entry.

Today was a whirlwind of fun and achievement! We started the day off with a quick breakfast and went straight to the baby's swim lessons. We all had a blast there! We've gotten to know some of the other people there so it's fun to catch up with them and their kids. On the way home, we got a few chores done.

From there, we batched cooked a fantastic white bean and turkey chili for lunch. We had enough leftovers for all of our lunches for the work week! We got three loads of laundry done, did some other cleaning, and played with the baby.

For dinner, we made corned beef and cabbage with roasted veggies which was absolutely delicious. We then got the rest of our chores done for the day and are now relaxing together.

I'm thankful for:

1. Having the energy and mental clarity to accomplish everything I did today.
  2. Eating like royalty today.
  3. Having lunch all set for the week.
  4. Going for an afternoon walk in the nicest weather imaginable.
  5. The lunar eclipse tonight! I can't wait!
  6. Watching my baby's abilities grow.
  7. Resting after a busy day.
  8. Green tea.
  9. Walnuts.
  10. Avocado.

This place has been getting very busy! I wanted to read every new post, but I have to just buckle down and write my journal entry.

?I'll never forget a few months ago when it felt like it was literally just me and you commenting back and forth every day after a few of the first few members disappeared for a bit (ZANE!!).

The momentum continues to build. Redesign of the main website has helped a lot I think.