NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Joe

wookieshark88

I also started reading The Power of Habit and am enjoying it. Hardwiring Happiness is a similar read that I had forgotten about until today.

?You should be proud of yourself. Fighting that urge when it's so easy to give in. Good job.

I hope your family member pulls through. The best part is that you can now be an active force and a presence in their life because you're not tied to a game somewhere. You have freed yourself and can now be there for the people who need you.

Today was a good first day of my new school semester routine! I didn't go to class today, but I had to work 10.5 hours to make up for work time I'll miss when I'm in class. The hardest thing for me missing out on giving my baby her dinner. It's one of my favorite things to do. I'll have to make sure to savor dinner time on the weekends now. Working late means that the office gets really quiet at the end of my shift. I decided to practice my mindfulness and it was great! I left work feeling pretty good. I'll have to make that a new habit!

I enjoyed poking around this site and commenting everywhere I could. It's really uplifting to read about everybody's journey. We're not doing this alone, and knowing that helps me immensely.

Baby time was fun as always even if there was less time to enjoy. I'm pursuing a goal that will benefit us all in the long run so it's okay to sacrifice a bit right now. I need to get to bed so I can get enough sleep to be on my game tomorrow!

I'm thankful for:

1. Dinner. It was quite tasty!
  2. The baby's bath. She was quite stinky today, but not anymore!
  3. Meditation. It's going to be a key part of getting through the semester.
  4. Think and Grow Rich. I'm in an exceptionally interesting part of the book.
  5. My wife. She was very conscientious about my longer days, and stepped up to help my evening be good. I'll have to repay the favor!
  6. The neighbor's puppy. He and my baby really like each other.
  7. My legs. Climbing nine flights of stairs is getting easier (still not easy).
  8. My aunt. She's inviting my family over to spend all of Saturday with her and the family!
  9. The weather.
  10. My cats. I would have a hard time being a crazy cat guy if I didn't have any cats.

Today was a little frustrating at work. The software that I use to do my job wasn't really working very well (at all) so I wasn't able to be as productive as I wanted to be. Also, my boss had to leave work because his wife might be very ill. I've never lost a spouse to death, but I can imagine how horrible it would be. I really hope for the best for both of them. I was going to have him review some of my work before I release it to other departments, but I'm not able to get that done either. Sometimes work makes me feel like a bit of a slacker, but I just have to keep in mind that I can and do work very hard when I get the chance. It's just a long time to not be very productive.

School went very well today! I was fifteen minutes late getting to class because of an accident on the road. Instead of getting stressed out about being late on my first day, I practiced mindfulness and patience. I decided to just accept the situation and make a plan to deal with it. When I finally did get to class, I participated enthusiastically in the lecture by raising my hand to answer most of the questions that my professor asked. I tried to not be overly engaging though because I didn't want to become an annoyance to my classmates or the professor. Striking a balance was a great thing to practice because that has been the theme of my meditation sessions for the last few days. After class I took the time to introduce myself and tell her a bit about my life. She was really nice and shared a bit with me too! It's important to me that I have a friendly relationship with my professor because it will make me feel energized when I go to class and when I do my homework.

I'm so surprised how good I feel since starting my newer and busier routine! All of these habits that I've been building up for the last two months seem to have taken my capabilities to the next level! Of course the many hours I have gained from not playing video games don't hurt either. I have to say to say that I could not have imagined that I could ever be the kind of person that I am today.

The Power of Habit is quite a good book! When I finish reading it, I want to go back through it and create an outline of all the major parts of the book. I realize that there are many of these outlines on the internet, but making my own will help me to internalize the information much better than just getting downloading one of those outlines.

I'm thankful for:

1. Class. I'm back on track toward my goal!
  2. My habits. So far so good!
  3. Practicing mindfulness on my commute.
  4. Chatting with the professor after class. She's very understanding of my situation!
  5. My upcoming trip home. It'll be great to see my family!
  6. Fresh fruit. It's health and delicious!
  7. Podcasts. I remembered to listen and learn while driving. No time was wasted!
  8. Writing with a pen on a piece of paper. It's such a lovely alternative to staring at an LCD screen any more than I have to.
  9. Having a wife who supports my educational goals!
  10. Becoming a morning person. I truly thought such a feat was simply impossible for me! I plan to find out what other "impossibilities" I can accomplish!

Today was my last day of work before going to visit my family! This is such an important trip for me because it is likely the last time I'll see my grandmother and possibly my father too. Wow, that was a really sobering thing to acknowledge. It makes me keenly aware that life is always changing. People will enter and exit our lives all the time so it's vitally important that we take full advantage of our time and make all the meaningful human connections we can while we can. When we do that, I think that we take away some of the pain of loss and add some beauty to it. I have many fond memories, photos, letters, and other things with my grandmother and father that I'll be able to keep with me as long as I live. They remind me of some of the richness in my life that I have from knowing them. I would rather have a million great memories with great people and lose them all than to live my life isolated, detached, and numb. It's a great reason for me to never kill my time again.

I'm trying to create a strategy for maintaining my good habits while traveling. Here's my shot at that:

• Meditation - wake up before my family and meditate
  • Reading - read on the plane and before bed
  • Food journaling - short spurts throughout the day when I have internet access
  • Exercise - before and after meditation and walking around a lot with my family
  • Journaling - after the baby goes to sleep

I'm thankful for:

1. Having this opportunity to see my family.
  2. Having a wife and daughter I'm proud of.
  3. Reaching a new record low weight. 24 pounds down and 11 to go!
  4. Having a productive day at work.
  5. Wrapping this school/work week up successfully!
  6. My "Think and Grow Rich" outline. It's coming along nicely.
  7. Being mindful and free of anxiety.
  8. Having wonderfully supportive in-laws.
  9. My personal growth since quitting games.
  10. Enjoying every day.

That looks like a great strategy. Remember, your "schedule" doesn't have to change much when you travel, it's just your environment is different. You still have the same 24 hours each day and by preparing beforehand (and then adjusting it as needed) you can be successful! For instance, this week I drove 17 hours (in two days) across B.C., Montana, Idaho and Utah to Salt Lake City. Even though I was in my car basically all day for both days, I still managed to hit the gym twice. The difference was, I looked up what cities I was driving through and found a fitness center in each to stop at. It wasn't hard, took 5 minutes of planning and I maintained my workouts and felt great about it.

Excited to hear about your trip!

The trip was everything I had hoped for! My family had a great time meeting my baby and spending time together. My habits went fairly well, but I didn't get in a journal entry on the trip. I read 3 out of 4 days, meditated every day, exercised every day, but I didn't food journal. This will be a quick entry because we're working hard on getting back on track for the week ahead.

I'm thankful for:

1. Letting my parents have a few "firsts" with my baby. They went with her on her first carousel ride and her first trip to the zoo!
  2. My grandmother was thrilled to hold her first great grandbaby!
  3. My baby traveled like a champ!
  4. My aunt and uncle made some amazing food for us all.
  5. My wife got to learn more about where I grew up.
  6. Being able to relax all day on Saturday.
  7. Showing my wife some tasty local cuisine.
  8. Getting back home safely.
  9. My mother in law put some food in the refrigerator for us when we got back.
  10. Having excellent family time.

Okay, now that I have a moment of time I can break down my trip a little more thoroughly.

We flew from the East Coast to the West Coast last Thursday. That morning, did my meditation and run in the morning before we left. On the plane, I was able to do some reading which was nice. I was worried that my baby wouldn't handle the break in her routine and different environments of the plane and hotel room, but she did great! I think she actually fared better than my wife and I did! We got into town late and were starving so we went looking for a place to eat. We found the Cheesecake Factory and ate there. It was some pretty high calorie food, but it did well in a pinch. I've never been there before, and I probably won't go back. There's just too many better and more affordable options out there. We got to our hotel late, unpacked, put the baby to bed and passed out.

The next day, Friday, we woke up super early because we were still on East Coast time. This gave me a chance to get my meditation and exercises in before the sun was close to coming up. We then had breakfast at a wonderful little cafe and went to my parents house. When we got there, I was sad to see that my dad was doing as poorly as I thought he was. It's so sad to watch your parent's health decline especially when you live 3000 miles away. He was in good spirts though as he and my mom got the meet their grandbaby for the first time! She cried at first because she was over tired so we had to put her to sleep for a while. After that, she was quite happy to socialize with grandma and grandpa! We ended up going to a park and zoo together. My parents were able to take my baby on a carousel, her first ride! It was great to see them so happy to be able to experience that first with her. We then went to the her first zoo which my baby loved. She was laughing and smiling at all the animals, but the cow was her favorite. She spent a good fifteen minutes laughing at that cow. My parents had a ball seeing how her experience all those animals for the first time.

In the early afternoon, my wife and I decided to take a mid afternoon nap because we had only gotten five hours of sleep the night before. When I woke up, I was surprised to see that the sun had gone down before 4PM. After thinking about it, I realized that we had slept for 13 hours instead of one hour and that it was now Saturday morning! At least we were all refreshed! Getting up that early was good because I was able to get in my meditation and exercise early again.

We then went to my aunt's house where her family, my grandmother, and my parents were. We spent the whole day there and had a great time! My aunt cooked breakfast for us all and everybody was able to get their baby time in. My grandmother was overjoyed to be able to hold her first great grandbaby! I put my baby on her lap and held her hands in my own as she held the baby because she's not strong enough to do it on her own. My dad spent the entire day just talking to my baby and laughing with her. It was a beautiful thing. For dinner, my aunt made food that my grandma used to make when I was a little kid. She had been practicing those recipes for years now, and they're indistinguishable from my grandmother's! I let myself have seconds and thirds because I wasn't about to pass up that trip down memory lane. I spent plenty of time next to my grandma that day and listened to her the words she gave to me despite how difficult speaking has become for her. She was really sad that we only got to spend the one day together, but I made sure to make it count.

Sunday was our travel day to go home which went as well as the trip out. I got to exercise and meditate in the morning again and read on the plane. We got home at 2AM and promptly passed out.

Monday was our day to prepare for the week ahead. We worked hard all day to unpack, do a bunch of laundry, clean everything we could, and get our groceries. All habits were completed that day!

Today is back to work and school. I'm going to need to wake up earlier on school days because I was a little bit late again. My morning meditation was spectacular this morning. It was the first time in a few days that I was able to meditate in my usual spot. Being there in the right spot really rejuvenated me for the week ahead which is good because I have to catch up on my studies! All habits are going well today as things return to normal.

I'm thankful for:

1. My morning meditation.
  2. Having my normal morning coffee.
  3. Being productive at work.
  4. Losing one of the two pounds I gained on the trip.
  5. Not destroying my budget on the trip.
  6. My wife really helping to make the trip a special one for everybody.
  7. Having the energy to go 100% on Monday to get everything taken care of.
  8. Getting back to my routines quickly and easily.
  9. A four day work week.
  10. All the memories I formed in just a few days!

Here's a bonus post.

My baby is wide awake but needs to be sleeping! I got homework to do. I'm just holding her calmly while trying to be unstimulating and pecking out this entry with one finger at a time. Bahhhhh! Oh well, she's awesome, and this is a way better "waste" of time than video games.

Speaking of games, they've been stuck in my head for a few days now. I don't want to play or even think about them. I have vivid dreams where I played games, and I'm devastated about it. It's been 75 days for me so I don't know what's up. I get actual cravings for nicotine when I think about it, but I expected that. I've quit that before and got cravings for nine months until giving in.

Hopefully my baby gets sleepy soon! All the travel has her off her schedule. Now she smells bad. I'm betting it's poop. Maybe getting the poop out will make her sleep.

Today was a good day once again. I listened to three episodes of the Tim Ferriss podcast while at work getting things done. I hear all these awesome sounding books on there that I want to read. Hearing about so many books and not having the time to read them all (right away) is one of the best problems I've ever had. I'll never be short on excellent reading material! I'm really starting to see the value in the show. I loved the Brene Brown interview and will need to read more of her books at some point. Tara Brach was excellent as well. I picked up a few tips to try out in my next meditation session! With school in session, my reading time has really dwindled so I'm just trying to listen to podcasts for now. I'll probably start doing audio books when I'm caught up with all the podcasts.

I'm hoping to put a nice dent in my homework load tonight so I'll have more of my weekend to pursue family activities. I didn't get much homework done last night, and I missed class last Thursday to visit my family so I really need to get caught up. I was able to spend my 30 minute lunch at work doing a little, but I still have plenty more. Also, I have class tomorrow which will add a little more to the plate. Hopefully the universe (and my baby) will conspire to make me productive tonight. No matter when I get it done, it will be done well and I'll get an A in the class. I'm determined to excel and prove to myself that I can balance the different parts of my life.

My habits are all doing well except for my reading which has been replaced by podcasts until I get ahead on my homework. I had no video game nightmares last night which is a relief. A few years ago I had a terrible job that caused me a lot anger, depression, and anxiety. Once I left that job, I had nightmares about it a couple of times a week for months. Those dreams seem to occur only once a month or two now. Hopefully my video game dreams will follow that same trend. I only hated that job for about 18 months (I spent 4 years really loving that job and 6 of those 18 months were spent job hunting when I realized that things weren't going to improve) while I gamed for 25 years though. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I'm thankful for:

1. Having another productive day at work.
  2. Not letting anxiety dictate my actions. This is one of my major breakthroughs in life.
  3. Learning a lot today with the podcast.
  4. Being mindful for stretches throughout the day.
  5. Beginning to be less fearful of "failure". This is a huge deal for me.
  6. Journaling. It really helps me to keep track of things I want to remember.
  7. People who record their wisdom and knowledge and make it accessible to others.
  8. My nightmares not being real.
  9. The class I'm taking. It's actually very interesting.
  10. Not settling for the status quo.

Brene Brown interview was so rad!! I loved it. I'm so pumped you're enjoying his show. It's huge. My current to read list is 247. :( Audiobooks on 2x speed help me make progress on it though

?Better to have 247 books to read than zero!

Also, once I eventually finish reading and outlining Think and Grow Rich, I want to read 59 Seconds by Richard Wiseman. Has anybody read this? Thoughts? I'm doing a lot of reading, outlining, and sketching of architectural history right now for school, but I'm going to fill every moment that I'm caught up on in that book, with progressing on Think and Grow Rich.

Today was another packed and crazy day. It was also a happy day filled with progress and habit keeping too! I got up fifteen minutes earlier than usual thinking I could get to school on time for the first time this semester as I was fifteen minutes late last time. That turned out awesome as I got to class fifteen minutes early! I was able to chat with the professor some and be calmer on the commute and ready to take notes right off the bat. It just feels so much better to be ahead of the game. It's funny because I've turned into the anti-procrastinator since quitting games. I'm all about kicking ass ASAP so I'm ready for the next thing!

Work was good. It was a very typical day which is great because I was able to do my work on autopilot while focusing my attention on Tim Ferriss. That show is like crack once you get rolling! I'm averaging 50-60 flights of stairs I climb every day at work these days too. My quads are noticeably bigger. I either go down and up one flight of stairs (around 8 times a day) or I go up and down 9 flights of stairs (around 5 times a day). It ends up being quite the workout that almost nobody notices that I do.

Once I got home, I had plenty of fun time with my baby and put her to sleep early! This let me do my evening exercise routine, write my journal, clean, and do some homework. I'm trying to get as much done as I can before the weekend because I want to maximize my family and friends time for a couple of days.

I'm thankful for:

1. Maintaining my weight instead of gaining. I'm still above my goal weight, but I'm patient to let my habits do their thing.
  2. My improved meditation this morning. Thank you Tara Brach!
  3. Getting to class early! I'm determined to keep this up.
  4. Keeping my habits while wrapping up week 2 of the semester. 14 weeks to go!
  5. Coffee. It keeps me awake on my drive to and from school!
  6. Learning that I should flex the muscles twice after 8 seconds of stretching them to prevent injury.
  7. Feeling centered while identifying and defeating moments of anxiety or other negative emotions.
  8. Becoming braver and daring to dream bigger.
  9. Fulfilling more of my potential than ever.
  10. Having a wife and daughter to love and that love me.

It just feels so much better to be ahead of the game. It's funny because I've turned into the anti-procrastinator since quitting games. I'm all about kicking ass ASAP so I'm ready for the next thing!

?Exactly. This is a huge shift in the way you approach your life that will pay off in big ways over time. And it just feels way better.

?Exactly. This is a huge shift in the way you approach your life that will pay off in big ways over time. And it just feels way better.

?The weird thing is it doesn't feel like the rat race of corporate life like I thought it would. I've always been wary of falling into the trap of chasing the monetary or social carrot. This is much more like aggressive exploration of myself and charting a path towards self actualization.

Today was a good day, but not as productive as I hoped it would be. I'm fairly buzzed right now so please forgive any incoherence you come across in this journal entry. My morning routine was spot on perfect, but work was more chaotic than I hoped it would be. I had to perform a peer review of an electrical system diagram with very little turnaround time. I find it insulting that the design department would give me a two day turnaround window for a review that would typically be given a week's time for review. This would have rattled me before I quit games, but I just decided that I would review the drawing as thoroughly and prudently as possible without feeling an ounce of pressure. I got it done in 9 hours, and gave them my comments. Like always, I found and called attention to an embarrassing amount of errors in their work and withheld my approval until they were fixed. It was actually much better quality than the last drawing I reviewed from them too. xD The problem with having to do a quick turnaround is that I needed to focus completely at the task at hand and not listen to awesome podcasts while working at a modest pace all day. Oh well, sometimes you just have to work really hard at work. Go figure. xD

The thing is that after I reviewed it I had to go an "educational" meeting. This 90 minute disaster put me right to sleep. When I woke up, I was worried that I would be in trouble. Thankfully, I spotted two other unconscious folks in the room! I wasn't the only person there who had discovered the cure it insomnia. One of the supervisors was also quite glazed over. I had to climb eighteen flights of stairs and consume a cup of coffee to recover from that PowerPoint lobotomy. There was no way that I was going to listen to a podcast when my short term memory had been decimated. This means I didn't listen to a podcast all day! This is not what I wanted for my work day.

When I got home, I was thrilled to play with my daughter as always. We laughed together like we always do, got her bathed, and my wife got home shortly thereafter! This part of the day was very gratifying. I have the family that I used to dream about as a kid. This is why growing up is great. You are free to craft the life you want.

I'm thankful for:

1. Journal entries fueled by ethanol.
  2. My family.
  3. My meditation quality was excellent again today.
  4. Relaxing on a Friday night.
  5. Dinner was great!
  6. My baby gets the biggest smile when I get home from work.
  7. The posters who introduced themselves. Hopefully they become regulars!
  8. Needing to buy smaller jeans. It means I've lost weight.
  9. Having pets. They keep things interesting.
  10. Being happy. I'm so happy for my post video game life.

Today was another success. I was able to meet with my friend who has been teaching me about business. He gave me lots of useful information today, and we enjoyed hanging out. It's nice to know people who are able to understand that I'm not interested in fitting in or an average life.

After that, I went to the library to do some studying and get my homework done. I was able to focus very well there so I'll probably make a habit of doing my longer study sessions there. My wife, baby, and mother in law were able to enjoy the day together. Of course, I would have preferred to spend the time with them, but I have my goals that I need to meet. Since I was already at the library, I got myself a library card, some books for the baby, and an audio book for myself.

Once we were all home again, we went out as a family to get some clothes because my wife and I have lost a bunch of weight over the last few months. Then we went to one of our favorite sushi joints before heading home to get a few more things done and finally relax.

This is me completing my last habit of the day!

I'm thankful for:

1. Friends.
  2. Getting some studying done.
  3. Sushi.
  4. New jeans that fit.
  5. Running in to a person I knew from years ago.
  6. Being able to enjoy the day.
  7. Remembering to be mindful.
  8. Studying something that I think is fascinating.
  9. Making progress towards all my goals.
  10. Keeping up with my habits.

I'm writing my journal entry a little early because I have a bit of downtime. That's okay though because I have already done some noteworthy things today!

Today was the first day of my baby's swim class! I'm not exactly sure why they call it a class because it was completely unstructured, but it was a blast. My baby made some new baby friends during class! They were babbling and laughing at each other. This is her second time in a pool, and she interacted with the water much more than the last time. She was splashing, laughing, and having a ball. My wife and I were doing the same with her! What an excellent way to spend part of a Sunday morning!

Meditation was of a higher quality than average today. I was able to see some of the emotions inside of me like impatience and judgementalness. I acknowledged them, sat with them, examined them, and let them go because they were unnecessary. The impact on my day of cleaning that stuff out of the mind first thing was great. It really helped me to enjoy pool time, exercise time, and laundry time.

For the rest of the day I plan to get some groceries, clean, cook, do some homework, and spend quality time with the family. It will be a great second half of the day!

I'm thankful for:

1. A productive meditation session.
  2. Fun in the pool!
  3. Living today like it should be lived.
  4. Coming up with fun dinner plans.
  5. Enjoying the other posts on this site.
  6. Getting my run in early! Usually it's an evening thing for me.
  7. Getting the last load of laundry in the dryer before noon!
  8. Having my grocery list just about done.
  9. Tying my record low weight. Still 24 down and 11 to go.
  10. Having motivation and joy throughout the day so far.

Today is another good day. There's always people at work who complain about Mondays, and I have been one of them at times throughout my working life. I haven't felt much any of the Monday struggles since I quit games and started building habits. Also, my general punctuality has improved in the mornings. I used to be one of those people who was often a few minutes late for work in the morning. Today, I was at work ten minutes early with lots of energy and a focused mind. It's nice to be able to look back and see the very real difference that all my positive habits have made in my day to day life. I never thought it would be possible for me achieve this amount of change in the way I feel in the morning! I'm so thankful for learning how to accomplish this.

Work has been going well, and I'm going to take a lead role in a small project! This will be another opportunity to grow and build my reputation. Luckily, I have a boss and coworkers that help me to succeed. The other great thing about getting this work is that I'll be challenged. A lack of challenge is the most difficult obstacle for me to overcome when working. I'm sure that I won't have that problem at all as I start my own business!

School has been going well so far. I'm mostly caught up with my studies since my trip to see my family. There's still more for me to do, and I'm going to get ahead eventually. I plan to get an A in the class so I'm treating every day and study session the way an A student would. The subject matter is very interesting to me which really helps.

Family life has been going very well too. I ordered a bunch of new baby books that should be at the front door when I get home! I can't wait to read them with my baby. She always gets a big smile on her face when we read books by Sandra Boynton so I bought a box set of them. Last night, I made a roasted chicken and vegetables for the wife and I. She really enjoyed that I took the time to make such a nice dish for her. She's awesome because we both go out of our way to do good things for each other, and we both show gratefulness for each other's actions. This is by far the best functioning relationship I've ever had in my life.

I'm thankful for:

1. Baby books! I honestly never thought I would ever be thankful for such a thing. Becoming a parent has changed me on a fundamental level!
  2. Leftover chicken and vegetables. It's great to have something nice to eat without have to spend a lot of time preparing it.
  3. The feeling of peace that has mostly replaced anxiety in my life. This is world changing for me.
  4. Being able to enjoy all parts of my days. No time killing here!
  5. A new record low weight! This last pound took me a while to shed, but I'm still doing the right things. 25 down and 10 to go.
  6. My cat. He was feeling sick for a day and a half, but he's back to normal. Looks like there won't be a vet bill in my near future.
  7. My parents. I want to call them when I get home.
  8. The fan at my desk. It cools me down after climbing 9 flights of stairs.
  9. My audio book. It's funny that a book on CD feels so antiquated these days.
  10. Keeping my habits going. For me, this is the main test I want to pass for this semester.

It's nice to be able to look back and see the very real difference that all my positive habits have made in my day to day life.

?You won't always see this kind of return immediately, but you just have to trust that you will see it over time if you're taking the right kind of action. :)

Today has been another good day. I was able to get to school five minutes early. This is important because my professor did a review for the quiz on Thursday right at the beginning of class. I feel like I'm mostly ready for this quiz because I've been taking plenty of notes and reviewing them afterwards. I've been answering too many of the questions in class because nobody else will answer the questions and we'll linger on a topic for too long if I don't. I try to wait five seconds before answering to let other people have a chance though. My goal is to absorb all the information and get back to work ASAP so I don't have to work later than I already do. At least I know that I'll score well on the class participation part of the grade.

My work day was routine. I was able to get a good amount done while listening to my audio book. Unfortunately my retention while listening to the audio book is not as good as when I read, so I'm going to make sure not to listen to anything too information dense. Think and Grow Rich would be an awful choice for me to listen to. It's still good that I'm able to continue my reading habit even if it's not in the optimal form. Oh well, life is all about creating success from varied and usually less than optimal scenarios. This will just make the success that much sweeter!

I can't wait to read more of the new books to my daughter. She loves having time where we sit together and read books. She's even learned to turn the pages! I'll be forever grateful that I'm reading books and laughing with my daughter instead of staring at a screen like a zombie while she cries. I'll never sacrifice the quality of my family's life ever again to play a game. It feels good to feel so confident that it's over. Still, I have to be vigilant to resist the urges that still pop up once in a while, and make sure to not let anybody talk me into trying any games. Quitting was not effortless and staying game free won't be effortless either. Good thing I know all about the Slight Edge because my victory over games is in the smallest decisions that are easy to make!

I'm thankful for:

1. Books. My books, my daughter's books, my audio books, my school books (even if they're expensive)... They come in so many wonderful forms.
  2. Working in a tall building. Stairs make exercising so quick and inconspicuous.
  3. Coffee. It keeps my car on the road when I'm going to and coming from school.
  4. Meditation. Today was another good one!
  5. A new record low weight. 26 down and 9 to go. Single digits!
  6. Having a supportive wife. She makes so much possible.
  7. Brita water bottles. I love the built in filter.
  8. Not finding cat puke in the house yesterday.
  9. Having a mother in law who absolutely loves baby sitting. The wife and I save lots of money, she has fun, the baby has fun. We all win.
  10. The weather. It's amazing outside!