NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Joe

wookieshark88

Congratulations @Viking!  I'm glad your wife was happy about it.  My wife was confused because I hid it too well (which I'm not proud of).

Today was a good day.

Work was confusing, but I still had my successes.  I've been in my position for over a year now, and I'm still putting together the pieces of what my job actually entails.  It seems like most of the knowledge needed to excel is guarded by four to five people.  Piece by piece, I learn a little bit more about how to do it as I pull information from those people like pulling teeth.  However it turns out at work is fine by me because I'm going back to school soon anyways.  It's just my nature to give my job an honest effort until my last day of work.  This job is so strange.

Baby time (my new term for the period of time after I get home from work and spend time with her one on one) was fun.  She was very enthusiastic about making noise for my parents on the phone.  They really enjoy hearing her laugh, babble, and say the occasional word.  She's really been upping her splash ability in the bath tub.  I was soaked by the time she was done, haha.

My squirrel nemesis has really damaged my bird feeder.  He chewed a big hole in the side of it and it leaks seed now.  I ordered a new feeder and may drop off the squirrel on the other side of the river if I have the time/luck to catch him.  My wife is quite amused at my ridiculous feud with the local wildlife, haha.

I'm still reading The Slight Edge every night before bed.  It's been a good reminder of how I made so much progress over the last year and a guide for continued success.

I'm thankful for:

1. Connecting with the nature right in my own backyard like I never have before.
  2. Having a new chapter in life to look forward to.
  3. Seeing the smile on my wife's face.

Looks like I might be coming back more regularly to see how the squirrel drama is going :D

If you love your work, you'll never work a day in your life! It appears your day flew by in the best way yesterday.

I've read The Slight Edge twice too :) it really does help to have those ideas reinforced by reading over them again.

Edited by AlexTheGrape

• Guest featured this topic

Looks like I might be coming back more regularly to see how the squirrel drama is going :D

If you love your work, you'll never work a day in your life! It appears your day flew by in the best way yesterday.

I've read The Slight Edge twice too :) it really does help to have those ideas reinforced by reading over them again.

Haha, my wife says that the squirrel is my Newman (from Seinfeld).  I will not let him have the last laugh!  I'm definitely working hard to find work that I love.  Once I get my degree, I'm definitely going for a career change.  I just noticed that there are a ton of recommended books at the end the Slight Edge.  I might pick one of those for my next read or just reread The Power of Habit.

Today was a good day.

My baby had the checkup and shots today.  She's completely healthy and is developing at the right pace.  The doctor said that we can begin potty training now which is a crazy thought to me.  I remember being so excited when she could sit up on her own.  She's also developed a fondness for 50's rock and roll.  She even does the twist now, haha.  It's probably (definitely) the cutest thing I ever saw in my life.

Work was pretty much the same as yesterday which is good.  One difference is that I had a bunch of phone calls to handle today.  I think that I was helpful to everybody who called and got everybody one the same page.  Were working on a first of its kind prototype while simultaneously validating the capabilities of our new software so communication is key.

The squirrel ravaged the bird feeder again today, but that's not a surprise at this point.  I'm getting my new feeder tomorrow and am hoping that it can stabilize the situation outside, haha.  For now, all I can do is shake my fist at him while he mocks me.  It will be me who will get the last laugh!  Mwahahaha! 

I'm thankful for:

1. My wife planning our upcoming vacation.
  2. The ridiculous variety of toilet training devices out there.  My wife wants to get a throne that sings when you poop in it. xD
  3. Having a nice chat with my neighbor.  He's a really good guy who really cares about the neighborhood.

She'll be a teenager before you know it. xD

She's already run into her room and shut the door behind her a few times (she was just having fun).  It's absolutely crazy to think about.

Today was a good day once again.

My baby didn't have a nap today which usually means a rocky end to the day.  We got her all washed up and in her pajamas early so that she would be able to go to sleep when she decided she was ready.  An hour before her normal bedtime she handed me her bedtime storybook and climbed into my lap.  I read to her until she fell asleep and put her in her crib.  I'm so proud of this because my wife and I were able to recognize an unusual situation and adapt accordingly.  My baby had her fun, recognized she was tired, and communicated it to us.  I'm proud of how we all worked together.

Because my baby was asleep so early, my wife did something that we haven't done in over a year.  We watched a whole movie from start to end.  It was really fun and relaxing to just take it easy.

I did my meditation this morning, ate well during the day, and will read in a while.  My habits are coming back together, and it feels good.  My goal this summer has been to take care of everything that fell by the wayside because of school, work, parenting, and marriage.  So far so good, and I intend to keep up with it.

I'm thankful for:

1. Having a successful week at work.
  2. The squirrel for making things interesting.  He may be my nemesis, but I still like him.  I think that the foxes may have eaten him because nobody saw him all day.  If he turns out to be alive, I'll take him to the park across the river because it's going to be safer for him there.
  3. The improvement of my back.  I'm so happy to have less pain in my life.

I love my bird feeders too! I have a hummingbird one and a small bird one.  My daughter got to see Nature in action as a Hawk got a little bird at the feeder.  She shrugged and said "Hawks have to eat too".  The one upset was my teenage son. LOL.  Thankfully that only happened once in the last couple of years.  We don't have squirrels we have raccoons. We got them their own feeder and changed the bird feeder to the type that the perches are weight based.  Weigh to much and the perch folds down so can not get to the food.  Pardon the amazon link but it is something like this.  https://www.amazon.com/Perky-Pet-5151-Premium-Squirrel-Be-Gone-Breakaway/dp/B00PK3CU3M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468129822&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=bird+feeder&psc=1   Good luck on your squirrel battles and I hope it is fine also.

I love my bird feeders too! I have a hummingbird one and a small bird one.  My daughter got to see Nature in action as a Hawk got a little bird at the feeder.  She shrugged and said "Hawks have to eat too".  The one upset was my teenage son. LOL.  Thankfully that only happened once in the last couple of years.  We don't have squirrels we have raccoons. We got them their own feeder and changed the bird feeder to the type that the perches are weight based.  Weigh to much and the perch folds down so can not get to the food.  Pardon the amazon link but it is something like this.  https://www.amazon.com/Perky-Pet-5151-Premium-Squirrel-Be-Gone-Breakaway/dp/B00PK3CU3M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468129822&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=bird+feeder&psc=1   Good luck on your squirrel battles and I hope it is fine also.

Hi fellow bird lover!  I actually got a really similar feeder to the one you linked.  There are hawks in my area too, but I've never seen them near my yard.  The squirrels and blue jays are the biggest jerks around my feeder besides the foxes that will eat any of the creatures around here that they can find.  Newman the squirrel has survived and was being a big jerk again.  I didn't have a chance to catch him though so he gets to terrorize the feeder for another week.

Yesterday was a rough day.

I my wife and I got into a bit of a nasty argument, and I re injured my back.  We talked everything out and are fine.  Sometimes those things happen, but we really prioritize working them out as soon as we're able to.  Too bad I couldn't reconcile with my back because it's been hurting a lot all day.

Today was a good day.

We all went to a museum and had a blast together.  It was really nice to have a good time to end the weekend on a high note.  My baby loved the taxidermy displays of all the animals, and we practiced saying the animal names together.  I also found a fun new bedtime story book in the gift shop for her.  We read it together this evening.

I'm thankful for:

1. The pork carnitas burritos with freshly made tomatillo salsa that my wife are going to eat in a bit.
  2. My wife and I being better at conflict resolution than my parents are.
  3. My baby making new phonetic sounds today.  She had good practice at the museum.
  • Like 1

my wife and I got into a bit of a nasty argument, and I re injured my back.  We talked everything out and are fine.  Sometimes those things happen, but we really prioritize working them out as soon as we're able to.  Too bad I couldn't reconcile with my back because it's been hurting a lot all day.

Great that you are working things out. Hope your back get better. 

my wife and I got into a bit of a nasty argument, and I re injured my back.  We talked everything out and are fine.  Sometimes those things happen, but we really prioritize working them out as soon as we're able to.  Too bad I couldn't reconcile with my back because it's been hurting a lot all day.

Great that you are working things out. Hope your back get better. 

Thanks!  Just to be clear, I didn't hurt my back fighting with her.  I reread that and it sounded like some sort of domestic violence case.  Our home is happily violence free.

Today was a good Monday.

I had another day of steady productivity at work and was done with my shift before I knew it.  I'm cruising along with my task.  One thing I need to do at work this week is begin the paperwork for taking a leave of absence.  I got my student loan approved so it's time to take the next step.  I'm nervous about it which makes me want to procrastinate on my paperwork.  It's time to just do it!

I went to my chiropractor today and he said that I have a sprained neck.  Sprains are something that I've experience more than once in my life, but only in my wrists and ankles.  The pain definitely feels familiar in that way.  Thankfully, I already have been receiving care for my back.  It's already improved since Saturday.

I played a lot with my baby after work and read to her from her new book.  Now I'm making burgers for dinner.

I'm thankful for:

1. My new bird feeder came in today!  It's called the "Squirrel Buster Classic" so we'll see how that goes.
  2. Getting my baby to sleep without any tears involved.
  3. Getting my lunchtime and evening walks in today.

It's nice to hear that things are going well for you! Hope it will stay this way. You're a good father for sure, it's nice to read about whole parent part. Keep posting.

Greetings, Piotr.

Thanks!  I plan to continue posting on a regular basis.  This is a great community to be a part of, and I really believe in this cause.

Today was a good day.

Work continues to be smooth sailing.  I'm determined to get my work done as soon as reasonable to support the other groups.  Also, I want to solidify my reputation as a diligent and capable employee before I begin my leave of absence.

Today was a great victory on the squirrel front!  Newman the Squirrel didn't get anything out of the bird feeder today.  I have a dedicated squirrel feeder outside that he sadly ate from.  He'll just have to get used to it.

My baby had a good day today.  We played princesses for a while and ran around the living room.  She watched her new movie, Elmo's Potty Time (or whatever it's called), for the first time today.  We both enjoyed it.  She loves Elmo, and I loved the potty talk, haha.

I'm thankful for:

1. My wife making dinner while I kept an icepack on my neck.
  2. Having really mindless work today which allowed me to listen to the Tim Ferriss Show while still being productive.
  3. All of the comments that people leave for me on my journal.

Today was a good day.

I have been really nervous about giving up my income to go to school full time for a year.  This has made me scared to initiate my leave of absence from work, but today I did it!  I let my boss know my intentions and will begin the formal process soon.  It's so exciting to reach for my dreams.  One thing I've been working on is letting my excitement be a bigger focus than fear.  I want to be brave and not waste my life doing something I don't care about.  Of course, I don't want to be foolhardy either because I have a wonderful family to contribute to.  I'm confident that my plan is the right mixture of ambitious and safe.

My baby didn't fall asleep until way after her bedtime so I'm going to keep this entry short.

I'm thankful for:

1. Taking the next step towards my goals.
  2. The improvement in my back.  It's still pretty bad, but it's trending in the right direction.
  3. Having over 20 tomatoes growing on my plant.

Hey, I don't know what Elmo really is, however I saw a parody of it in South Park, "Black Friday" episode. Is it the truth that everybody wants to get it from malls ASAP?

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist.

Elmo is a popular hand puppet from a long running children's TV program called Sesame Street.  You can search on YouTube and see him.  A few years ago, there was a stuffed toy of this character that could talk.  Everybody was going crazy trying to buy them all up.  I'm not really sure why because there's like 10 versions of him for sale at any given time.

Today was a good day.

I have been really nervous about giving up my income to go to school full time for a year.  This has made me scared to initiate my leave of absence from work, but today I did it!

Good job! This is a great opportunity to start embracing an abundance mindset! 

@Cam Adair, would you mind explaining what you mean by an abundance mindset?  I know what the words mean, but I'm not sure what to make of the phrase.

Today was another good day.

My evening stroller walks with my baby and wife have been really nice.  We've made a new friend in the neighborhood.  The last two days we've taken the time to stop and talk to a nice lady that lives down the street from us.  She's really nice and gets along nicely with our baby.  Now we have a couple of friends in the neighborhood.

Work went well today too as I continue to make progress on my task.  Hopefully I can continue this trend and finish my task before I begin my leave of absence.

Newman the squirrel has been adjusting to his new life with a squirrel proof bird feeder.  He has refused to eat from the squirrel feeder that I put out there for him and his friends.  Sometimes he guards the bird feeder and chases off other animals even though he can't eat from it himself.  I've ruled out dropping him off on the other side of the river for now.  I just hope he can chill out and accept his new situation.

I'm thankful for:

1. My neck improving a little bit.
  2. The weather staying dry for our evening walk.
  3. My 7 foot tall and growing tomato plant.

@Cam Adair, would you mind explaining what you mean by an abundance mindset?  I know what the words mean, but I'm not sure what to make of the phrase.

It may be true that an element of your nervousness to give up your income to go to school full-time comes from the fear that you will not have enough money, or that you are losing money and so forth. This is a scarcity mindset and comes from the belief that money is limited. It's easy to develop this type of thinking when you are in a job that gives you a paycheck every two weeks and you rarely receive a raise, and you really do have to budget and so forth - to be practical.

Money is in fact, made up. Money is limitless and it can be created. There is enough money in the world for everyone. So what I mean to suggest is that this is a good opportunity to embrace more of an abundance mindset. One where you are investing in your future and that you can trust that all the money you need will be there, whether that's short-term (now) or long-term (post-school.) There is no reason that you are unable to create all the money you could ever imagine. It's possible. And the first step is believing it to be so. Your actions follow your beliefs so if you believe you are only allowed to have a very limited amount of money, your actions will reflect the actions you need to take to only have a limited amount of money. The opposite is also true.

Read The Science of Getting Rich: PDF / AUDIO

cc: @kortheo

Edited by Cam Adair

It may be true that an element of your nervousness to give up your income to go to school full-time comes from the fear that you will not have enough money, or that you are losing money and so forth. This is a scarcity mindset and comes from the belief that money is limited. It's easy to develop this type of thinking when you are in a job that gives you a paycheck every two weeks and you rarely receive a raise, and you really do have to budget and so forth - to be practical.

Money is in fact, made up. Money is limitless and it can be created. There is enough money in the world for everyone. So what I mean to suggest is that this is a good opportunity to embrace more of an abundance mindset. One where you are investing in your future and that you can trust that all the money you need will be there, whether that's short-term (now) or long-term (post-school.) There is no reason that you are unable to create all the money you could ever imagine. It's possible. And the first step is believing it to be so. Your actions follow your beliefs so if you believe you are only allowed to have a very limited amount of money, your actions will reflect the actions you need to take to only have a limited amount of money. The opposite is also true.

Read The Science of Getting Rich: PDF / AUDIO

cc: @kortheo

Thanks for the explanation!

Yesterday was awesome and I just realized that I didn't have a journal entry.

This is the TL;DR of yesterday.

Work went well.  After work was better.  We went to the beach and had a blast with our baby.  It was so much fun, and were going to do it again soon.

Today was a good day.

I took it much easier than I did last Saturday, and it seems like the whole family was better off for it.  I still got things done but didn't push myself to do more than necessary.  Knowing when enough is enough is something that I'm working on.

My tomato plant is over six feet tall now and has around twenty five tomatoes on it now.  I can't wait to eat those things.

Newman has been reduced to the level of an ordinary squirrel these days.  He's no longer much of a bully and eats from the squirrel feeder like the rest of them.  Perhaps he's seen the error of his ways.

I'm thankful for:

1. The caprese salad my wife made today.  She used tomatoes from our local farm and basil that I grew myself.
  2. The 128 GB micro sd card I just put in my phone to replace the 32 GB one.  I have weeks of podcasts, all of my music, thousand of pictures, and lots of videos now.  There's also plenty of room for more stuff.
  3. Being able to bring my baby to a play.  She actually enjoyed it.