NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hi there, I'm the new guy

Andre2807

Hi everyone. I'm André, from Cape Town, South Africa.

The beginning
I started gaming in 2000, starting off on those old cassette consoles for about 4 years until I got my PC. The PC I got by convincing my grandfather to buy one for me, because I want to learn computer programming and use it to do homework. 

I lied.

My intention and direction I took with the PC was to play games. In 2010, I built my own PC and became addicted to World of Warcraft, Skyrim and other RPG's.

The roller-coaster
In 2016, I quit gaming for a good number of months especially in the first few months of my marriage. I went back to gaming after watching "harmless" let's play gaming videos on YouTube. After that, I relapsed and became addicted to another RPG and also Football Manager, that I'd spend sick days at home, skipping work and playing for 8 - 10 hours. The addiction with Football Manager is so bad, that I've even attempted to play it on my work laptop, whilst at work. Even when I'm away from my computer, I think about the game, spend time on forums and watch/listen to YouTube videos about the game.

The now
I've just finished listening to episode 2 of the Game Quitter's podcast... Jason's story made me think about how I met my wife. All the memories we had built and also all the things I was busy with, especially during my first attempt to quit gaming.

Why quit?
My relationship with God, my wife, living a healthy and social lifestyle and maintaining my hobbies - obstacle course racing, music and cooking... The more I went back playing games the less time I spent on all these things that are important to me. I want to get back at building on these things.

Main goal
My main goal is to commit to the 90 day detox, stick to it - and in doing so, spend more time with my wife and getting my life back on track.

I'm glad to be here. This is an amazing opportunity to be connected and get help.

Welcome Andre! I shudder when I think about how many hours I poured into World of Warcraft, all for nothing, and I was paying them to do it! 

Glad to have you onboard. The podcast is a great tool and Jason is a relatable host. Another great tool is the Respawn book, or Cam's YouTube channel. He has some great videos to watch if you feel like you are about to relapse or the withdrawals are crushing.

• 2 weeks later...