NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Anxiety

jakey

Just curious how other people deal with anxiety? The biggest appeal to gaming for me is anxiety management. If I get really anxious I can play for a few hours and it will go away for awhile. I thought maybe it was games that were causing it. But after going 4 months without gaming I was still experiencing it and that's what drew me back into gaming.

• Like 1

Well, I actually invested in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy skills and it's helping me a lot. Mostly learned to check whether my thoughts are realistic and practical insted of immediately panicking. You may also find self-help books on this subject, but books weren't as effictive for me. Cheapers, but not cost-effective)

• Like 1

By avoiding dealing with anxiety, it will only get worse or stagnate. I found my symptoms weren't going away and I wasn't getting better in social environments because I was escaping the problem through gaming rather than working out strategies to overcome it, which by the sounds of things is exactly what you are going through. 

Don't try to fight the feelings, you need to identify them for what they are, accept them, and then push forward. This is what @HappyCat is talking about. I also went to a therapist, and I think the biggest thing I took away from my sessions was identifying what the feelings were rather than me thinking I was 'broken'. The fact you are writing about it already means you have overcome that hurdle and maybe you could focus on ways that work for you on how to deal with them.

Not sure if I helped much with what I wrote but it is a long journey you need to be patient with. I noticed just yesterday I was having some symptoms again after about three to four months of being anxiety-free, which I felt a little disappointing at first, but then saw as an opportunity to grind forward and work on my skills to deal with it rather than escape.

Thanks for the advice. I guess anxiety has never been something I've thought I could fix. It's always been something that I've delt with my whole life. I've been going to counseling it has helped in many areas but not when it comes to the anxiety. I'll look into Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy @HappyCat. Thank you for your kind words @giblets. Maybe I am being to hard on myself.

• 1 month later...

Yes.

I have been shut in for the past year. Since giving up I have been making small steps to towards getting myself back to university. The journal has been of wonderful use and the only thing I wish had done was do it earlier. I am on day 64 now and there have been ups and downs and definitely some crying but I'm chipping away at it.

anxiety is lower level but chronic fear the way I understand it. But to be afraid of something you have to be paying attention to it. When you played games, they are stimulating, you paid attention to them, and you forgot about the things that you were anxious about

• 2 months later...

Herbs! Anxiety can be managed far easier with herbs than just will power alone. There are herbs called nervine tonics that strengthen and support the nervous system through various ways. A great mix I can recommend is Chamomile, Milky Oats and Lemonbalm. Drink a cup (to 2-3) cups of this a day and over time it will allow your body and your mind to handle more stress without breaking and more anxiety-inducing situations without panicking.

I make a living as a herbalist (thanks to quitting games.) If you want more info just message me :-)

On 12/27/2017 at 1:52 AM, magicalmerlinmark said:

Herbs! Anxiety can be managed far easier with herbs than just will power alone. There are herbs called nervine tonics that strengthen and support the nervous system through various ways. A great mix I can recommend is Chamomile, Milky Oats and Lemonbalm. Drink a cup (to 2-3) cups of this a day and over time it will allow your body and your mind to handle more stress without breaking and more anxiety-inducing situations without panicking.

I make a living as a herbalist (thanks to quitting games.) If you want more info just message me :-)

I second Camomile. I drink so much of it when I am at work and it makes me feel so relaxed I feel guilty about how good I feel :D