NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

90 day detox take 2

CG EYE

CG EYE I think it's best that you don't do it. It's nothing but moving pixels on a screen. Different color, shape but nothing special. Imagine explaining it to your grandma or a child who doesn't know pokemon. It's like collecting pictures, baseball cards. PK feel more alive and special, but I don't think they are. Try to stay strong!

CG EYE I think it's best that you don't do it. It's nothing but moving pixels on a screen. Different color, shape but nothing special. Imagine explaining it to your grandma or a child who doesn't know pokemon. It's like collecting pictures, baseball cards. PK feel more alive and special, but I don't think they are. Try to stay strong!

How much fun was collecting cards. Maybe we should do that instead @CG EYE! I used to have a massive football card collection when I finally got a job and had money, no idea where it is now though, lost to the ether. 

Thank you @Zala and @giblets for your support. Funny how we are talking about collections. This weekend I busied myself by researching vinyl and vinyl record players. Managed to pick myself a nice retro set for $100 and am looking at my own vinyl collection. I think the novelty with retro stuff is you never know what you might come across which is addictive. Similar to the feeling of opening up a packet of basket/magicTG/Pokemon cards you never know what you are going to get. Same with legendary Raids you don't know the cp nor if you will catch it. Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Wow so I am at approx Day 38.

I don't nearly think about pogo as much as I use to and it is only in conversation with other people whom I discover play or if people ask if I play games that I say "Im on a detox" that i reminisce about pogo. Even just typing about it now makes me curious to load it up and my heart begins to race a little. However I have work to do and I am on this detox. Thank you to this forum for all your support.

Speaking of collections, my latest "addiction" is now vinyl records. Having grown up as someone who never physically bought music in his life, I am now the proud owner of something like 200 vinyls (bought a few boxes at auction recently). 

lol

But there is something definitely different about tangible visceral copies of music and the inconvenience of loading the vinyls that is meditative. many parallels that can be made to the virtual world of gaming and what is real vs virtual enjoyment.

• Like 1

Day 42,

I just had a sneak peak at one of my old pogo FB groups and I could see that they have been catching the latest legendary. It was like playing with fire, seeing old guild mates having "fun" but I know that I am on the right path. I am gunning it for day 45 as that is the half way mark.

You should be please to see that research has been released this year on the effectiveness of abstinence on gaming beliefs/cognitions, internet gaming disorder symptoms however, I think this group already knew the benefits of not just brief, but prolonged periods of abstinence, now you can say that it is validated by science. 
Preview link to the article here in the journal of clinical psychology:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jclp.22460/abstract

• Like 1

You should be please to see that research has been released this year on the effectiveness of abstinence on gaming beliefs/cognitions, internet gaming disorder symptoms however, I think this group already knew the benefits of not just brief, but prolonged periods of abstinence, now you can say that it is validated by science. 

I'll definitely check this out, cheers!

Day 42,

I just had a sneak peak at one of my old pogo FB groups and I could see that they have been catching the latest legendary. It was like playing with fire, seeing old guild mates having "fun" but I know that I am on the right path. I am gunning it for day 45 as that is the half way mark.

Thanks for this! Excited for the study King and I did to be published shortly as well. :)

Day 48?

This week has been mentally draining at work. I've been pretty irritable the last few weeks.

I've come question a lot of relationships and how people treat each other lately.

I've also been busy with things outside work that keep me in check. For example, I've just completed 8 sessions of improvisation workshops. If you haven't tried this before I'm sure there is a club or theatre games club in your city. "Improv" is great for mid week stimulation and doing things that are inherently unnatural. 

One of the key lessons in improv that is taught is that you have to help make the other person look good and often yield to their idea. Also another great lesson is that it is ok to fail and say something that seems stupid. That is "not give a fuck about what people think". 

Back to this idea of how others treat each other, I've noticed that in real life, so many experiences seem transactional and if you do something in real life you might not get the returns from the other person that you expected and be disappointed. 

In online games things are predictable (and if things are by chance you are offered many chances at winning at another time). 

I guess I've been pretty disappointed lately with how many interactions I've come across seem so transactional. 

On another note I went to my first martial arts class in a few years and I realised how messed up my body is. 

Day 48, past the half way mark! Thanks guys

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day 64?

home stretch now. I'm really chuffed because at this point it is getting easier. 

Yesterday an old guild friend told me he was invited to a Mewtwo raid and successfully caught it! He was among a select few who was invited by Niantic to do this  

how did I feel?

like I didn't miss out on much!

why did I feel this way? Cos I have been doing the 90 day detox that's why!

its changed my way of thinking to give me the ability to change my addictive way of thinking

right now the feeling of making the 90 day detox is greater than my need to catch a rare Pokemon

feeling pretty proud of myself and lucky that I have this group to get me through

oh and tomorrow I am giving away my pogo plus!

lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So Day 1 was 14th Aug

that means 14th Nov is just over a week away

thank you everyone who has supported me on this forum. I have my life back. But it is not over, it will be a constant battle after the 90 days as the only person keeping me accountable from beyond is me.

I saw someone playing pogo the other day and it looked so cool, so new, as if I had never spent over a year playing it.

Just goes to show how you can build a tolerance to online games. This detox has been a godsend! Thanks @Cam Adair and the GQ community!