NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

3rd attempt - Zeeko

Zeeko

Day #19-20

Hey guys

didnt manage to make a post yesterday because I was sick. I've been unlucky recently with this shit.

Nothing much to report as of yet but will have more to post hopefully in the next few days.

Keeping it real and keeping it up.

Cheers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day #22-27

Okay! Been out for a while guys, was really sick and just couldnt be bothered doing anything.

But, back on track now and will keep going.

These past days haven't been too eventful but now that I am mostly feeling better I can start doing things again.

Got lots to do... booked my flights and sorted all my information for Sydney. Now I need to brush up on a few things to prepare for work.

I also need to find the gluten free life in Sydney as well due to my dietary requirements, and should also start to think about accommodation. Accommodation is simply horrendous in Sydney because its so expensive.

Lets keep going :)

Cheers all~!

Hey guys

Day #28

Eased myself back into things again. You know that feeling when you didnt do much for a while and then have to chuck yourself back into the thick of it? Its a slog.

I spent an hour or two at a bit of a lost. It was almost going to be a day in bed. But I remembered to start small, so I went on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Do a world of good to just get moving again. I havent succeeded in joining the gym, but I figure if I am moving to Sydney soon this month there isnt really much point. So, I am going to do some home exercises.

The temptation is ever present when you are trying to fill stuff back up. So many new games are being released. But I must say, coming up to my 30 days is really satisfying and I am very proud of myself. The next step will be limiting my youtube videos. I decided that im going to implement a quota of minutes for youtube videos because its almost a quasi-game/surrogate. But Im not too harsh as to equate it with actual gaming. Its must easier abstain from videos alone than both videos and games.

Always start small and build. Focus on systems and daily goals as a build up. Keep chugging on!

Thanks guys

Day #29

Hey guys

Had some bad withdrawals last night. I always used to play games before dinner because it was one of those moments where you dont want to do anything but you want to be occupied. Im curious to see how long these withdrawals are going to last for. 

I am starting to do treadmill walks every day as a build up for my exercise. Im extremely lucky that I do have a treadmill... down here in Australia you need to fill sunscreen up to your eyes and its annoying. I know, how petty am I. 

Anyway the days are passing and travelling is inching closer and closer. I am starting to feel the excitement though. I can't wait to start, especially as I will be so busy that I'll barely have any time to look at game updates and whatnot. So...many...new...games.

ALAS, almost to my day 30! Thats very exciting!

Rather than think about it as withdrawals @Zeeko, think of it as nostalgia! You will empower yourself thinking of it in a different mindset.

I understand what you mean regarding want to be occupied with no effort. I faced that challenge when I was trying to binge (and still trying to) on productivity. Rather than play games or watch TV though, I called my mates. And not just the mates that you work with or see every day, but people I don't speak to very often. I'd spend a good 15 minutes talking to them, catching up on old times (hello nostalgia), and by the end of it I would feel energetic and ready to go back to being productive or making dinner.

Treadmills are great as they are softer on your feet than the pavement, or thats what the physio tells me anyway. The problem is trying to get the right pace for yourself, if you go too slow then your calves and shins will ache. 

You're through the hardest part of the detox! I found the 20s were the toughest for me and I spent a lot of time soul searching about the purpose of it all. Once you crack into the 30s it's like you have just pulled onto the highway and there is no other cars in front of you.

Rather than think about it as withdrawals @Zeeko, think of it as nostalgia! You will empower yourself thinking of it in a different mindset.

I understand what you mean regarding want to be occupied with no effort. I faced that challenge when I was trying to binge (and still trying to) on productivity. Rather than play games or watch TV though, I called my mates. And not just the mates that you work with or see every day, but people I don't speak to very often. I'd spend a good 15 minutes talking to them, catching up on old times (hello nostalgia), and by the end of it I would feel energetic and ready to go back to being productive or making dinner.

Treadmills are great as they are softer on your feet than the pavement, or thats what the physio tells me anyway. The problem is trying to get the right pace for yourself, if you go too slow then your calves and shins will ache. 

You're through the hardest part of the detox! I found the 20s were the toughest for me and I spent a lot of time soul searching about the purpose of it all. Once you crack into the 30s it's like you have just pulled onto the highway and there is no other cars in front of you.

Excellent idea Giblets and appreciate the thoughtful advice

#30 - WOOOOO

I honestly cannot believe I am on 30 days for my detox. It feels great knowing I havent played any games and flushing it out of my system. By no means is the nostalgia gone but I believe I am making some excellent progress.

I decided to try something different today, I went for a run on the beach. I live in the northern part of Perth so its completely empty and its full of fresh oxygen to help you run. It was torture, but afterwards I felt amazing. I honestly dont know how I havent been doing this all these past years, I can feel the difference. It certainly helps doing other more productive tasks. Had a mate over too today to run with and it does help a lot in pushing through the exercise.

On a side note Giblets I do know what you mean in switching binging. While it can work for some people I dont think it will work for most of us because its not something our bodies really want. Unless somehow we force it like it somehow. If somehow you can do it then you have certainly done better than me.

Anyhoo, heres to my 30 day anniversary and happy times ahead!

Cheers all :D

Edited by Zeeko

Day #31-33

Okay, this is interesting. I suddenly realised I am at the point where I failed my journal the first time I did this. 

It was around the day 30 mark, and it suddenly clicked to me that I was almost going to do the same thing twice. This is interesting for me as it really highlights where my flaws are in changing my habits. 

So I am forcing myself to myself to write this message to truly make the change.

I havent broken the gaming nostalgia, its still there but I have been sorting alot of stuff out to prepare for Sydney. Its all going really well. 

I am making the promise to myself to do the next 10 days straight. If I can do that, I know I can do the rest.

Thanks all - I am at a crucial threshold with all this. 

Day #34

Went to the movies with my friend today and it screwed up my sleep hhahaha

But today was lovely and it was fun to go outside with a friend and relax.

I still feel that urge to just let this go, but that aint happening.

I am going to take the next step and start limiting my time watching game videos on youtube. I am starting with a maximum of 5 per day and slowly wean that down to 0 by the end of this detox.

I am still doing my exercise and thats going well, its really difficult to keep it consistent though after so long doing nothing...

But hey, going good now and Im really going to make this journal consistent.

Thanks all ^^ 

Day #35

Spent the day studying and getting ready for work. Cant believe its only one week away now and its going to come by very quickly...

I've went past my youtube limit today by 2, but thats okay because its still considerably less than what I've done previously. Tomorrow I will aim for 6 videos instead.

I've invited a friend over for tomorrow so that'll keep me busy.

Do you guys think that playing a game or two with a friend who comes over your house will ruin the detox? I am unsure about it ...

I would advise against playing, even if it's for the social purposes. Your detox should be completely gaming-free; when it's completed you could reevaluate and maybe play with friends.

You should suggest doing something else instead; it's an amazing world, so I do not wanna hear "there's nothing else to do" ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Simon is right. It may not seem like abig thing but it is great to have these three months of not gaming to look back to. It is not worth it to sacrifice that feeling of accomplishment for something so easily evaded. Also it can help to show friends what you doing and why you are doing it. This will make the detox more real for you.