NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

HappyCat's log

HappyCat

Day 7

Mostly harmless. Erm, empty. Spent the day reading a book and playing or calming my kid. We went to a nearby river beach and I was agitated because I had to carry him all the way, be with him while my wife was swimming. He also puked on my, probably to liven things up)

Nothing really bad happened but I tend to be snappy when many minor things happens right when I plan to rest.

Special thanks goes to wife's mother for homemade bitter chocolate cake, my son who's a lot of fun to interact with, and my wife who somehow endures him 24/7.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetins, fellow quitters. Here be my log) For the most part my problem is not the time spent playing, but time spent trying to find a game that I would like and that I'd be able to play on the road. Too much time commuting to/from work and a 4 month old kid takes most of the time. Obsession to find "the next good game" doesn't really help because I'm not even playing, I am worrying about my choice instead.

Day 1: Registering on GameQuitter subreddit, cleared most of installed games. Cancelled varios gaming-related subsciptions.

Good thing that I didn't run any or looked through review of any game. Basically at this pointI want to try 90 days detox and see if my obsession ot find/fear to miss games would hold after that.

I can relate HappyCat, working on my 2nd Detox from gaming, i learned from my first detox (that didn't last more than a month) that game subscriptions can be enticing and i admit i too fell prey to the Xbox One subscription a few years back. I ended up making a plan to waste money because of its great features. As funny as this sounds, i went and decided to buy the Xbox One in pieces (Kinect, Games, Xbox) to save money. As i was doing this i was working at Walmart at the time so i didn't care. And that's where my problem lied, so i quit my job and went to continue my schooling and not worry about gaming. So, i'm glad i'm not the only one. 

Edited by BigPete247

Day 7

Mostly harmless. Erm, empty. Spent the day reading a book and playing or calming my kid. We went to a nearby river beach and I was agitated because I had to carry him all the way, be with him while my wife was swimming. He also puked on my, probably to liven things up)

Nothing really bad happened but I tend to be snappy when many minor things happens right when I plan to rest.

Special thanks goes to wife's mother for homemade bitter chocolate cake, my son who's a lot of fun to interact with, and my wife who somehow endures him 24/7.

Some quality familty time right there. Good job, man!

Day 8

Had a walk to the nearest (1.5 km) shop to get bread and ice-cream. Kangaroo slings are best) I carried my kid all the way there and most of the way back. It would be really hard to carry him in hands all this time.

Unfortunately, he's really capricious in the evening for no deductible reason(

Actually picked up my melodica today. I had fun but it totally screwe my mind, I started to mix up notes really fast. Also tried to have a go match today, but had to cancel it. Somewhat tiring weekend but not that bad. 

@BigPete247, I meant news subscription, not offers like xbox gold or ps+. Not monitoring game reviews helps a lot. Reviews often pushed me to try "next cool game" only to be disappointed. 

@BigPete247, I meant news subscription, not offers like xbox gold or ps+. Not monitoring game reviews helps a lot. Reviews often pushed me to try "next cool game" only to be disappointed. 

Whoops, misread the post, I still get you though HappyCat, much luck to you and your family 

Edited by BigPete247

Good exercise to get bread. You burn off what you're about to eat. ?

Hmm, using a kid as an exercise tool?) Never thought about it, but my wife says that her friends with little kids quickly developed hand muscles) 

xD Kids are great for developing mental and physical endurance.

Day 9

xD Kids are great for developing mental and physical endurance.

That's probably why I'm so spent right now) That and morning train trip to work. I posted vey few things this weekend since smartphone only and caring for kids makes it difficult.

Not much to enter today, but I want to do a little recap: turns out it's a lot easier to stop caring about being "modern day gamer" than I thought. I actually started to feel more rested in general. Few weeks ago such weekend would left me lying on sofa all evening, but it's much better now.

I actually skimmed through Steam today to send a birthday gift to a friend. Don't kick me much, he's and his gf are fine with gaming and half of the present is actually a VN, not quite a game. ^^' I don't think I'm in a position to "convert" him anyway, but it feels really odd now.

8 days of detox and earlier therapy session provided enough insights: maybe I'll casually play one day, but I won't be hunting "most modern game I can play". That's just an exercise in self-irritation, really...

I froze for like 15 minutes writing this entry so I'd better be off to my tea and books the)

UPD: and after that I slogged for half an hour trying to choose a book. Looks like it's fear of choosing wrong that I still need to work on. 

Edited by HappyCat

Day 10

Normal work day. Had an unfortunate episode at work, more irrtating than harmful. Met my friends this evening. Haven't seen both of them in a while, so we had a great time talking. "The last of us" is marrying soon, so it was mostly family-oriented. That kept me wondering whether it would be easier with kid after he'll be a least an year old. 

I sometimes think about two specific games, usually on my way home. Right now I'd prefer some tea and much sleep anyway) 

Day 11

Another day, another bunch of project tasks pinned down. I received some bug report which seems easy at first but actually requires to remade some out-of-the box functionality from scratch. So if any of you guys and girls are developers, please refrain from using massive closed frameworks. If you still do, be mindfual that closed framework are PITAs to work with if you need to do something it's not quite supporting.

Called my aunt to say her "happy birthday" but also ended up talking really long about family situation and irritationg of constant errands. She provided some insights into it and told me it would probably be easier in half of a year.

Confession: probably because I felt being pressured I bought tobacco today even thought I am very casual smoker. After I talked to my aunt and gave the situation a careful consideration I figured it's not that bad. For me it's hard to resist buying "little something" to myself on a day like this, but I should make it a habbit to just sit and relax with often mentioned tea and books instead.

Day 11

Another day, another bunch of project tasks pinned down. I received some bug report which seems easy at first but actually requires to remade some out-of-the box functionality from scratch. So if any of you guys and girls are developers, please refrain from using massive closed frameworks. If you still do, be mindfual that closed framework are PITAs to work with if you need to do something it's not quite supporting.

Called my aunt to say her "happy birthday" but also ended up talking really long about family situation and irritationg of constant errands. She provided some insights into it and told me it would probably be easier in half of a year.

Confession: probably because I felt being pressured I bought tobacco today even thought I am very casual smoker. After I talked to my aunt and gave the situation a careful consideration I figured it's not that bad. For me it's hard to resist buying "little something" to myself on a day like this, but I should make it a habbit to just sit and relax with often mentioned tea and books instead.

Yep, better to have an outlet than a craving @HappyCat.

Day 12

A long day, had to do some family errands which took a few hours. 

Last evening I began to watch one of dwyrin's go match streams, finished it this morning. This made want to return to the game. Maybe I'll visit a physical go club, since it's hard to play after getting home. This game requires one to think hard and fast, so it's hard to fall asleep after serious match. Nevertheless, I really enjoy finding new variants and outsmarting an opponent.

I hope to do some professional learning and go playing this weekend, let's see if it would be possible) 

Good progress! Have you got a bucket list of physical hobbies you would enjoy

Thanks. I'd like to try parachute jump one day. I'd also like to visit Japan and have a look at Nihon Kiin where they study to become professional go players. And I still enjoy dancing games a lot, but it's more of financial question. 

Actually, I am waiting for my son to grow so we can do some rollerblading together)

Now, then... 

Day 13, Friday

Interesting one. I had to do some packing in the morning and I was really tempted to take a portable console with me. Ended up leaving it behind, but the urge was strong.

Had some minor slips at work which surprisingly made my mood and attitude go through the ground. Had to remember all CBT skills asap. Recovery was long but I least I didn't feel like crap for the rest of the day. Some XP gained)

Good progress! Have you got a bucket list of physical hobbies you would enjoy

Thanks. I'd like to try parachute jump one day. I'd also like to visit Japan.

Day 13, Friday

Interesting one. I had to do some packing in the morning and I was really tempted to take a portable console with me. Ended up leaving it behind, but the urge was strong.

Had some minor slips at work which surprisingly made my mood and attitude go through the ground. Had to remember all CBT skills asap. Recovery was long but I least I didn't feel like crap for the rest of the day. Some XP gained)

When do you want to jump? We might do it together. Japan also sounds awesome!

Why don't you sell your portable console?