NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

90 Days Detox

Daniel

Hey, I just wanted to chime in about your goals to set up a workout routine: I don't know about you, but I HATE the gym unless I'm with a knowledgable workout partner - which isn't always available. My solution is to start taking half an hour long walks around town. It doesn't feel like a workout, I can listen to a music or a podcast (shoutout to fellow NPR listeners!), or just contemplate the fabric of reality. 

Personally, I feel it's a much better approach than the sometimes mindless grind of the gym... at least to start. 

Thanks for the tips. When I was gaming I would go out to buy beer, but once I went out for a walk and I remember feeling great.
For me the hard part of the gym is to get the ball rolling. Once I get about 3 weeks going, it gets super easy. I usually go 3x a week.

Thanks for the tips. When I was gaming I would go out to buy beer, but once I went out for a walk and I remember feeling great.
For me the hard part of the gym is to get the ball rolling. Once I get about 3 weeks going, it gets super easy. I usually go 3x a week.

The time it takes to develop or revive a gym-going habit is the hardest one. I know you will work through it. And it's very good that you know that it will be way easier afterwards. It's the same for everybody. Godspeed on your fitness goals.

Day #7

Today I had a dream about gaming.

Today I spent most of the day cleaning my room. I have gotte ridden plenty of things and I plan to keep getting rid of more things that I don't need.

I think this is good advice for anyone who is on detox. Start focusing on your health, well being and appearance. After that focus on what's around you, your house, apartment or room.

Today I feel very calm.

@Mettermrck Stayfocusd allows you to use your blocked sites for some time (default is 10 min), this useful for time waster sites like facebook, youtube, etc. However I have been unblocking those sites. If you activate nuclear option no settings can be changed until the time expires (which you can set as well)

Edited by Daniel

Day #8

Last night I realized that I missing the social aspect of gaming.

In the morning I thought that going to the gym can be an hyperstimulating activity just like videogames, but why is it that it takes more effort to go to the gym than gaming? It seems to me that reason is because gym is an activity that needs more preparation to be performed (think gym clothes, bottle of water, music), unlike gaming, where you simply turn on the console, or smoking, where you just pull out the cigar or drinking, where you just open the bottle.

The gym will eventually be more stimulating to you as you lose the "brain memory" of gaming. As you detox, other activities will gradually regain their level of excitement and interest for you.

For me it was reading. I loved to read when I was younger. When I quit gaming, books were more of a chore. Now I devour books! Hang in there and let the withdrawal work. You're doing great, Daniel! ?

I think you might like social aspect if boardgames. I prefer a boargame match over videogame one any day of the week but it's hard to gather everyone together.

I wonder if gym workout were as simple to start as a gaming session if you were to have gym next door) 

Day #9

Yesterday I felt anxious during the afternoon. I stayed calm and tried to understand this feelings. It's like I wanted to avoid loneliness in my room. I simply went to the front yard and read a bit.

I even called my girlfriend because I thought it would be a good idea. But it seems to me that wasn't the answer either. It's like I was looking for something but don't know what.

Went to the library at noon, got pictures, will post them tomorrow. At the afternoon I went to play chess downtown. It was ok, it was fun, talked to people and joked around. I can get agressive even playing casual games, haha. I even called the touch-move rule on some random guy. He was like "I'm just chilling having a good time". I don't regret it thou, this is better place to be competitive than playing videogames, even if they were just casual games.
However, always after being done playing and walking back home I feel a huge emptiness as if I wasted my time playing. I think the next weekend I will look around for another activity. I guess that chess for me is an old love from whom I have refused to move on.

Edited by Daniel

Yes, I had this loneliness. I felt alone and wanted to be around people and talk to anyone, old friends, etc, especially in the first few weeks of detox. I suspect I was always lonely but gaming masked that anxiety, prevented me from feeling those emotions. It might be similar for you as well.

Day #9

Yesterday I felt anxious during the afternoon. I stayed calm and tried to understand this feelings. It's like I wanted to avoid loneliness in my room. I simply went to the front yard and read a bit.

I even called my girlfriend because I thought it would be a good idea. But it seems to me that wasn't the answer either. It's like I was looking for something but don't know what.

Daniel, some downtime is perfectly ok and is much needed by the brain to defragment all the information you get. I found it uncomfortable too when I was quitting stuff like cigarettes or caffeine. You should expect some restlessness, but it will get much better soon.

Loneliness may also a valid reason, as Bob has pointed out. Maybe there's a group activity hobby you would like to take up? Board games HappyCat has suggested is a good option.

Edited by Vlad

Day #10

Tonight on my way home, I remembered the time I used to play videogames (which is not so long ago). It's no wonder I never could get anything done while gaming. One of the reasons smoking has been on my mind lately is because I read a book by Julio Cortázar, Hopscotch. I had no cigars since I ran out of smokes.

I must admit I have been spending an alarming amount of time on Spotify. I really love making  listening to music and making my own playlists.

Day #11

I have been waking up earlier since I stopped gaming, many successful men recommend this approach, "early to bed and early to rise, makes man rich healthy, wealthy and wise"

I remembered when I sold my chessclock seems it was a bad move. I also remembered a time when I was about to buy an usb turntable and the guy even agreed to teach me how to use it. I let the oportunity slip bay, just like when I was a child and refused a keyboard due to my preference for videogames. I'm tired of looking back at the past with regret. From now on I want to look back and see how I seized opportunities, took chances, risks and living fearlessly and honestly.

Edited by Daniel

Day #12

Imagine someone inviting you to play videogames, I would answer, "Sorry, I can't, I have been clean for the last two weeks".

Today I beat my mind while jogging.

Elon Musk said "No, I don't ever give up, I'd have to be dead or completely incapacitated."

Will Smith said "They keys to life are running and reading"

He said "When you're running, there's a little person that talks to you and says, "Oh I'm tired. My lung's about to pop. I'm so hurt. There's no way I can possibly continue." You want to quit. If you learn how to defeat that person when you're running. You will how to not quit when things get hard in your life."

There was also a letter I can't completely recall "I'm losing my left flank, my center is weak, the moment is excellent for me to attack!"

These where my thoughts during 15 minutes of a slow-paced jog. The last time I jogged for 15 min in a row is probably about 4 years ago.

Edited by Daniel