NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

One year without gaming

ThePerfectApology

Hello everyone

My name is Torleif, I'm 19 years old and I come from Norway. Since April 17 2016 I have officially been video-game free, which was the day I entered the military to serve my country for a year. Although I've tried multiple times before to quit video games (with varying levels of results) this has been my longest period without it. Moreover, I have avoided easy entertainment for the most part while cultivating healthy habits, such as jogging, meditation and reading.

The purpose for why I'm writing this is to give some general tips and tricks for those of you who have started walking the path. I'm not going to share my story (most of it is detailed in my journal) and the year in the military I would rather not speak of. In many ways it was very tough and sad and difficult, probably more difficult than anything I have ever experienced before, and I believe it would make you sad as well. Anyways, let's get straight to it.

My top recommendations

1) Listen to Cam. Cam knows what he's doing and the stuff he has written in Respawn is the real deal. Sometimes the advice you tell other people is the advice you need to follow yourself -- I realize that I am often guilty of this -- but I am telling you right now that if you do what Respawn says you WILL succeed.

2) Buy a slow-growing pot plant. It seems silly but a plant is much like yourself: it starts small, growing ever so slightly every day. Sometimes it doesn't even seem like its growing at all, but it is, you just can't see it. All it needs is time and energy, just like you. The weeks go by and some small sprouts starts to appear, becoming stronger and stronger, until perhaps one can see some real change, like magic. Left to itself it will become mighty, just as you will if you manage to be patient.

3) Seek simplicity and consistency in your habits. The Slight Edge sums it up well, which I recommend you reading.

4) Have a growth mindset, which I know is easier said than done, but try at least (read Growth Mindset by Carol Dweck).

5) Keep things simple.

I didn't want to write any of this, even when Cam asked, because I still feel like I'm far from where I want to be. Who am I, I thought, to give you advice, advice that I have trouble following myself, when I still spend too much time on the computer (looking at cars mostly) and I still don't have a social activity. Anyway most of you are probably a hundred levels ahead of me in terms of applying and embodying what Respawn says, so my hope is that reading this you will at least become a tiny bit wiser, just a tiny gram more prepared. Personally I have a long way to go but what I think matters is that I am on the path. Who knows, perhaps I will take the 30 Day Challenge and Beyond. I'll end with one of my favorite quotes, from the lord of the rings.

It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feat, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to'.

-Bilbo Baggins