NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

What is the last book you read?

KevinV1990

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a copy of Thucydides "The Peloponnesian War" translated by Martin Hammond. I think it's probably one of the essential historical texts to read as it's a first hand account of the transition of power from Athens to Sparta, which of course led to the conquering of all of Greece by Macedon years later. Also a good reminder that people have been voting for unqualified, selfish liars since the beginning of time and we're all doomed. Lol

Edited by ceponatia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This past spring (or most of the quarantine in general), I have just read the following:

Fierce Fairytales by Nikita Gill (completed)

Wherewithal by Philip Schultz (completed)

Songs of Willow Frost by Jaime Ford (completed)

Glorious Appearing (Left Behind, #15 in chronological order despite the purple sticker with the gold writing indicating "#12 in the Left Behind series") by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins (in progress; 130 pages left until the final book)

---

I am not talking about the little stuff Mom forced me to read as you can see in my own forum titled "My Productivity Journal". I am talking about just the main things I have done on my own during the events of the lockdown by far.

Edited by Natalie

• 2 weeks later...

two months ago i started make friends with books 😃 . i read

1. man's searching for meaning

2.make your own bed

3.unfuck yourself 

5. way of the wolf 

6.just shut up and do it

7. to-do list formula

and not i am almost finishing 7 habits of highly effected people. this books is amazing . unbelievable . just go and read it as soon as you can. i wish i read it first before all those books ( although all books were amazing but this is something else).

i got 8 more books to read 😊

Catch-22 by Jospeh Heller. My friend suggested it to me. Basically, its a story about a World War 2 pilot who's trying to stay alive by avoiding combat missions. It's humorous and I liked how the book criticizes the idea of patriotism, democracy and at moments touches upon deeper themes like the nature of God.

• 4 months later...

Now, I have to catch-up with myself.

I just finished the following: 5 Levels of Leadership, Tiger Eyes, Great Goddesses, Strawberry Shortcake Murder, Smile (a graphic novel), and 5 Dysfunctions of a Team.

In Progress: Arms From the Sea, Neverwhere, and Dualed

DNF: Left Behind series after 15 books due to COVID-19

Edited by Natalie

The last book I read was actually The Hunger Games. When I was a child I hated reading so I never got around to it. I finally read it and it was amazing.

The book I am currently reading is Hunger, the second book in the Gone series. In this story, food is running out in both towns, and with adults gone, and little experience with cooking, they have to adapt to eating sometimes just pizza sauce or Relish.

• 5 weeks later...

I am just about done with Neverwhere and Arms from the Sea as of the past weekend. Before that, I am officially done with Dualed and just survived The Sun and The Flowers by Rupi Kaur (poet of Milk and Honey).

The next book to be read was Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3) by Joanne Fluke.

Audiobook in progress of recording: The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Wilhem van Loom, narrated by me! (I was at the Cretian/Greek era)

I started The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson and just finished Oathbringer earlier this month. Best fantasy series I have ever read and has helped me channel my fantasy nerdiness from gaming to reading. Just started Sanderson's Mistborn series and I have heard it's just as good (in a different way) as the Stormlight series. 

I also read Think and Grow Rich as a recommendation from a friend. I found it to be a useful read and was surprised by some of the content. However, the writing had too much salesmanship littered throughout it to be my cup of tea. I still think I gained quite a bit from reading through it all, I just don't find it to be as profound as my friend did. 

I like to read a fiction book alongside a non-fiction/informative book and I am currently looking to dive back into learning about history. If anyone has any good history books, I would love some recommendations. 

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading Limitless by Jim Kwik, its a book about learning more effectively and improving productivity when it comes to self education. Last book I read in full though was How to be an imperfectionist by Stephen Guise, not counting the respawn ebook that led me to this forum in the first place.

The last book I've read (and finishing) is "Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist" by Sunil Yapa. It's a fictional book about violent protest being aggressive to the police, the book also involves politics so it might not be for everyone to read. Just by reading the book it shows me a image that I've join something that is expressing change for the wrong reason. You'll have to read, listen in audio book or buy it on e book to understand what I'm talking about.

The last book I read is Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. It's a classic about a shipwrecked mariner that survived on an island solitary for 24 years before discovering savages on the island with him. It is a good book to read by yourself or someone else if you are interested.

You guys should read the Sherlock Holmes series. The stories are well written (although the English is a bit dense) and the cases and stories are very entertaining. There are many short stories, but there are also 4 books with The Valley of Fear being my favorite. It's not for everyone, but you should give it a shot and maybe you'll like it.

• 3 months later...

I just finished Karl Popper's The Open Society and Its Enemies and started in on John Rawls' Political Liberalism, which doesn't mean what you probably think it does!

Evening reading became my routine during my one-week "game fast", and I tried to hold onto it when I returned to gaming for a few days. Now that I've quit again, I'm hoping to get through the backlog of books I've been meaning to read. After Rawls I'll probably go back and finish Roger Scruton's Conservatism, and maybe finally go back and read Edmund Burke.

• 4 weeks later...