NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

What is the last book you read?

KevinV1990

• 1 month later...

Atomic Habits - James Clear.  Currently reading it again for the 2nd time and will probably read it again later. Strongly recommended reading for you fellow gamers out there. Has really helped me understand habit formation and how to break bad habits and create new helpful ones.

I am reading the Jurassic park novels and I am only 120 pages in the first one but I must say its great even though I have seen the movies dosins of times ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 1:26 PM, GCepeda said:

... but the book I keep coming back to is 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson. It's not really the type of book you read from beginning to end (although you can certainly do that), but its something I keep coming back to in small segments. There's a lot of useful advice on how to life on a day to day. Def helpful for people like me who have lived a chaotic life for the past several years.

Just ordered this on Amazon, right before I read your post. I've heard great things about it. Looking forward to reading it again and again.

I just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's a very easy read, fiction coming of age tale. Should have read it sooner. Definitely going to get multiple rereads. I recommend it!

• 3 months later...

Right now I'm actually reading two books. Meditations by Marcus Aurlieus and The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson (it's the sequel to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo). Don't know if it's my ADD, but I like reading a non-fiction and fiction book at the same time. Guess I like the option to change what I'm reading depending on my mood ?‍♂️

• Like 1

Need to get back into reading. I'm a great reader and seem to have a good memory. This thread has some great recommendations!

I've been reading this one book for like 4 years now (Not yet finished). I've taken away a LOT from it and it's changed me immensely. Found it locally one day when I was going through a hard time. It's helped me figure people out a lot more and made me realise things about people.

I highly recommend (Non-Fiction) - "Dropping The Pink Elephant" by Bill Mcfarlan. This book teaches you firstly, how to spot when people are lying/there's something more that they're not saying for some reason/what people really want from you. The second part teaches you how to be more direct when you're speaking and how to say what you really mean.

In a nutshell, most of the time when people say "x sentence, BUT" they're not being direct enough because x sentence is exactly what they want/there's a degree of truth to it. When people say "I didn't/don't" they are most likely lying/there's more to it. On rare occassions that wording can't be avoided though. It depends on the context - If it's said out of nowhere (No accusations or unrelated to conversation), it is a lie/there's more to it.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I highly recommend it. It's a novel first released in 1931 which features a dystopian society where people are controlled by a totalitarian government. However, they are not controlled through force, pain or fear. They are controlled through pleasure. Citizens of Brave New World are conditioned to love their slavery. They get pleasure in exchange of freedom. Personal responsibility or any sort of individuality is discouraged in this society, even long-term relationships between individual people are considered perversions from the norm. It's an interesting book and I found that it mirrors out own world in many ways.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

“If you take risks and face your fate with dignity, nothing can make you a loser; if you avoid taking risks, nothing will make you great, nothing at all. When you take risks, insults from little people (those that dont risk with anything themselves) start to resemble animal grunts: a dog cannot offend you”

From anti-fragile

• 2 weeks later...