NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Should You Play Mobile Games?

Cam Adair

Happy Monday! I see this question pop up in the sub often so I thought I'd share a few thoughts on it today. Should you play mobile games? Do they disrupt your detox? Etc etc. Hope you like the video and if you have any questions, I'll be here to answer them. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDa66XN80RM

Also, this article is really good to read if you want to understand more of the psychology in mobile games.

Edited by Cam Adair

I saw the video on it. I suggested writing about something in a notebook instead, jotting down thoughts, or if you're an artist, sketching.

Work on something creative that gets you closer to your goals. Or, anything that's relaxing and productive, but mainly that doesn't trigger the short circuit of doing things that immediately alleviate boredom. Boredom is a badge of honor. Hell, boredom is a luxury, it means you have time on your hands.

Happy Monday! I see this question pop up in the sub often so I thought I'd share a few thoughts on it today. Should you play mobile games? Do they disrupt your detox? Etc etc. Hope you like the video and if you have any questions, I'll be here to answer them. :)

Also, this article is really good to read if you want to understand more of the psychology in mobile games.

I think you forgot the video link! Unless I am blind.

EDIT: Also, that article is really good. Love the writing, and I think it basically sums up how I feel about game design these days... designers are just playing on human psychology to hook us and extract money from us. Gah. Fuck that. I mean there are exceptions to that, but it's becoming a more and more dominant paradigm.

EDIT2: Just realized there are 6 chaptesr... I will keep reading!

Edited by kortheo

I think you forgot the video link! Unless I am blind.

O.o that basically explains the craziness of my day. lol. 

I had a good read of that article, and I recognise that most of those mechanics are present in almost all mobile games that I played. It is also saddening and frustrating to know that games development in many areas is just aimed on hooking the player to make money, rather than providing a game that users will actually enjoy. That's all for the better that I'm not touching video games at all!

I had a good read of that article, and I recognise that most of those mechanics are present in almost all mobile games that I played. It is also saddening and frustrating to know that games development in many areas is just aimed on hooking the player to make money, rather than providing a game that users will actually enjoy. That's all for the better that I'm not touching video games at all!

What's even sadder is when players of these games defend the creators and claim that they're not trying to addict players to make more money.

We should all stay away from games, be it console, pc, or mobile games. They all are video games! On the other hand, I don't think board games should be avoided, because they are social (well, at least 2+ players, I know some board games you can play on your own :D)

This reminds me I have to delete all my mobile games, even if it's been a while I didn't play. My son is playing some games on his tablet, and sometimes asks me to play to unlock something or not. Well it's hard because I don't want to hurt his feelings but now I refuse ... well it's ok I guess, he doesn't really mind :P

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little mobile game (I forgot its name) in which the player has to find the words hidden in tiles with letters, I play it from time to time, as you can see not frequently enough to remember its name ;) - is it OK to play it? It resembles something like crosswords or Scrabble. English is not my native tongue so the game is educational for me.

Yes I think if it's educational and you don't avoid doing normal tasks just to play, then why not. From time to time, to learn new words you won't forget. Just hope this game isn't linked to some kind of statistics and fake achievements, this can be addictive. The only achievements there should be is to learn new worlds, and this without the achievement system that exists in many games!