NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

DaBest's Journey For Self-Discipline

DaBest

Day 293

No VG - 293 days, no sports news - 2 days, NF - 4 days, SOB -  3 days, NNO59 - 2 days, NIA1030 -  2 days, NLAF - 4 days,  NSOC - 17 days, Meditation - 3 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 3 weeks, no settings changes - 2 days.

Got more sleep last night. Going to bed earlier tonight too. 

Work was busy today. A little stressful too. 

Hit all my habits today. Makes me happy.

I'm going to clean up a bit and go to bed.

• Like 1

Day 294

No VG - 294 days, no sports news - 3 days, NF - 5 days, SOB -  4 days, NNO59 - 3 days, NIA1030 -  3 days, NLAF - 5 days,  NSOC - 18 days, Meditation - 4 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 3 weeks, no settings changes - 3 days.

Hit all my habits today. Noice.

Work started out a little rough but ended well today. We had a very dicey situation which thankfully we were all able to come to agreement on a path forward. I feel better now. When I was meditating last night this thing was on my mind the whole time. I'll actually be able to sleep somewhat comfortably this weekend. 

I also barely made it in time for my improv performance tonight. Was very much in my head and we did a new format which I had not practiced. The show was very clunky, but it wasn't catastrophically horrible. Afterwards, we went to a bar, and pretty much just hung out for almost four hours. It was actually really nice and we had some kinda deep conversations. I felt oddly open and connected. I also need to start taking this improv thing a little more seriously. 

No internet tomorrow. A little sad and a little happy about that. 

• Like 4

Day 296

No VG - 296 days, no sports news - 0 days, NF - 0 days, SOB -  1 days, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  1 days, NLAF - 0 days,  NSOC - 0 days, Meditation - 0 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 4 days.

I messed up. 

Saturday started out well enough. Got ready for my day. Went out for a thirty minute walk and I felt really energized. I then went to find a social event I could attend earlier in the day that would help loosen me up for more social activities later at night, where I am still a bit stuck in my head. I then spent around 12 hours doing everything but that on the computer, finding anything to distract me. 

Sunday morning was a bit more of the same, but I did go to improv practice, though I was fashionably late. I'm still happy I was there for as long as I was though. It got me out of the house and with some friends--it got me out of my own hell. Home is hell.

My brain still loves the surge of dopamine from the internet and finding things to get lost in. Dopamine + escapism + depression = love of escapism.  I'm also a bit stressed from some work I have going on this week. I want to hide from some of those things and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I'm just feeling overwhelmed in general. 

I've stopped embracing the suck as much as I could, and I also don't put anything in this unstructured time which is something to really look forward to on my Saturdays, or at least something to get me out of the house and socializing early on, which is also less stressful to get into. So I'm going to make a few adjustments for next Saturday:

1) I'm unplugging my router on Saturday morning. I'll still have my phone if I absolutely need internet, but I also have the smallest data plan possible so the possibility of abuse is way lower.

2) I blocked a ton more sites on my laptop and phone. Also, for the one time I legitimately unblocked YouTube on my phone a few weeks ago as I was doing "emergency" car repairs, I forgot to re-block it. That's fixed.

3) Again, I added a challenge to some of my blocker settings. Actually, I just added a few more. More steps between me and insanity.

4) Looking to see if I can attend a physical CGAA meeting.

5) Found events on Saturday morning/early afternoon for the next four weeks. In the future, I'm going to have to make time to do these searches after work. 

My biggest problems right now are fixing the unstructured time, giving myself social things I can look forward to, and maintaining consistency with confronting fears. This should help that.

Oh, and I also tried to manage some examination of past traumatic events this weekend once everything went off the rails. Found some empathy and a lesson in there I didn't really expect. 

• Like 1

Day 297

No VG - 297 days, no sports news - 0 days, NF - 1 days, SOB -  2 days, NNO59 - 1 days, NIA1030 -  2 days, NLAF - 1 days,  NSOC - 1 days, Meditation - 1 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 5 days.

@Erik2.0, internet, sleeping, and internet. That needs to change more into improv, gym, and reading, or something similar. It's my vice, especially when I want to "relax" or am "tired." It needs to change.

---

Hit most of my habits today. Felt super nervous going into work today for the amount of coordinating I had to do. Fear of failure. Overall, I did okay.

Tomorrow I have to be at work for around 14 hours, and I need to get in at 4 AM. Emergency work. Fun. Not really. I appreciate the fact that I'm starting to feel competent in this and that I'm helping many people that I'll never see or meet, but man, I just can't see myself doing this forever. I look at the other engineers in their areas and I feel a bit jealous. Fewer projects, fewer late nights. By definition, my area is the most difficult to deal with. I can barely take care of myself, why am I putting so much time to other's when I need to fix myself first. The longer I go in this job the worse it will get too. Perhaps something one step removed from my job would go better.

I also did a bit of trauma meditation yesterday and found a surprising amount of empathy for those who have wronged me and myself. I try to peel back the layers of everything that's happened, knowing more now of human nature and how people end up the way they do, and I found a lot of pity for some of these people. I also found that deep down inside I don't feel like I'm a bad person, which was one of the main questions I had when I was going through my "dark years." "What's so wrong with me that so many people either hate me or treat me like crap?" I felt a certain lightness and peace afterwards. 

• Like 1

Day 298

No VG - 298 days, no sports news - 0 days, NF - 2 days, SOB -  0 days, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  3 days, NLAF - 2 days,  NSOC - 2 days, Meditation - 2 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 6 days.

Long-ass day. I got in a little late, but that was in part because I was expecting some delays, which ended up being the case. Still in time well before my contractors. Tired. More work tomorrow, but I do get to come in a little later.

Went on my phone a bit this morning in bed to check news. This unfortunately checks off a few habits, but otherwise that was the only blip on the day. I probably would've fallen asleep after if I hadn't. 

House is an ungodly mess right now. I'm going to spend a few minutes cleaning it up before I pass out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaBest said:

Day 298

No VG - 298 days, no sports news - 0 days, NF - 2 days, SOB -  0 days, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  3 days, NLAF - 2 days,  NSOC - 2 days, Meditation - 2 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 6 days.

Long-ass day. I got in a little late, but that was in part because I was expecting some delays, which ended up being the case. Still in time well before my contractors. Tired. More work tomorrow, but I do get to come in a little later.

Went on my phone a bit this morning in bed to check news. This unfortunately checks off a few habits, but otherwise that was the only blip on the day. I probably would've fallen asleep after if I hadn't. 

House is an ungodly mess right now. I'm going to spend a few minutes cleaning it up before I pass out.

I think that's a good plan. Sometimes cleaning helps get you in the mindset of decluttering your thoughts as well. It might help you sleep better. I'd like to do that as well.

• Like 1

Day 299

No VG - 299 days, no sports news - 1 days, NF - 3 days, SOB -  0 days, NNO59 - 1 days, NIA1030 -  4 days, NLAF - 3 days,  NSOC - 3 days, Meditation - 3 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 7 days.

Hit most of my habits today except for almost falling asleep in bed once I woke up.

Today was a bit brutal. In before six, out after seven, and couldn't make it to my improv show. It's nice to help people and all but what's it worth if I'm not around people. I like the people on my improv team and they're becoming a bit like family. The days when I'm most responsible, I almost resent it. It's like a bell curve. No responsibilty, feel like crap, above average responsibility, feeling good. Self-sacrifice, surprisingly empty. I also might not be able to make it to a friends party next week for more emergency work. FUCK. And I have another weekend where I need to go into work now that I think about it. 

I still have a lot to take care of tomorrow. There's has to be a way where I multiply my impact with less time. There's gotta be a way.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DaBest said:

Day 299

No VG - 299 days, no sports news - 1 days, NF - 3 days, SOB -  0 days, NNO59 - 1 days, NIA1030 -  4 days, NLAF - 3 days,  NSOC - 3 days, Meditation - 3 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 7 days.

Hit most of my habits today except for almost falling asleep in bed once I woke up.

Today was a bit brutal. In before six, out after seven, and couldn't make it to my improv show. It's nice to help people and all but what's it worth if I'm not around people. I like the people on my improv team and they're becoming a bit like family. The days when I'm most responsible, I almost resent it. It's like a bell curve. No responsibilty, feel like crap, above average responsibility, feeling good. Self-sacrifice, surprisingly empty. I also might not be able to make it to a friends party next week for more emergency work. FUCK. And I have another weekend where I need to go into work now that I think about it. 

I still have a lot to take care of tomorrow. There's has to be a way where I multiply my impact with less time. There's gotta be a way.

What kind of engineering are you doing? I think you need a new job to be honest. This is really hampering you. 

• Like 1

Day 300

No VG - 300 days, no sports news - 2 days, NF - 0 days, SOB -  0 days, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  5 days, NLAF - 4 days,  NSOC - 4 days, Meditation - 3 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 8 days.

@BooksandTrees, well little would you know before I saw your post, I already decided I was on my way out today. I work in a biotech/pharma plant, and it's a lot of firefighting and paper work and too much we are pursuing. It's immensely gratifying in the sense that I'm helping people get amazing medicines that can significantly improve their lives. That's what keeps me going. I can't get into specifics, but let's just say that I'm not happy with a program that involves daily work that I do, that represents a significant drop in quality, and it dawned on me today how fundamentally bad it is. I love the people who I work with, I love the products we make, I love the science that goes into it, but I hate the firefighting, I hate how we chase every little thing so much so that it takes away from the important items key to our mission, and I hate how I have to cough up numerous social opportunities due to emergencies when I'm trying to figure out how be social in the first place. It really upsets me that it has come to this though, especially as I know I've started to get my feet under me and I feel confident and competent in my role, and I've started to get a lot of respect from the higher ups. Now it's just a matter of finding that new direction.

@Erik2.0, I really wish that were the case, but unfortunately there's some stuff you just have to do to keep the process running. If it stops, that means people could see an increase in the cost of their medicine, or that they might not get it at all. There's a responsibility to it that one cannot shirk--well, they can and I've seen it, but they shouldn't. For a few reasons, the area I'm responsible for is prone to emergencies. It's the nature of the process. 

---

I tried getting up early today, but it didn't happen and I dozed in my bed for an hour and a half. Broke a couple of habits there. That was the extent of my habit breaking today, so it was a good recovery. 

Again, I'm really sad that I'm going to start looking for work elsewhere for all the positive things I take out of the company, and the fact that I know that there will always be something unsatisfying at any place of work unless I work for myself. 

Oh, and I'm on day 300. Woo! I've done a lot more interesting stuff with my time. Feels good man.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DaBest said:

Day 300

No VG - 300 days, no sports news - 2 days, NF - 0 days, SOB -  0 days, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  5 days, NLAF - 4 days,  NSOC - 4 days, Meditation - 3 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 8 days.

@BooksandTrees, well little would you know before I saw your post, I already decided I was on my way out today. I work in a biotech/pharma plant, and it's a lot of firefighting and paper work and too much we are pursuing. It's immensely gratifying in the sense that I'm helping people get amazing medicines that can significantly improve their lives. That's what keeps me going. I can't get into specifics, but let's just say that I'm not happy with a program that involves daily work that I do, that represents a significant drop in quality, and it dawned on me today how fundamentally bad it is. I love the people who I work with, I love the products we make, I love the science that goes into it, but I hate the firefighting, I hate how we chase every little thing so much so that it takes away from the important items key to our mission, and I hate how I have to cough up numerous social opportunities due to emergencies when I'm trying to figure out how be social in the first place. It really upsets me that it has come to this though, especially as I know I've started to get my feet under me and I feel confident and competent in my role, and I've started to get a lot of respect from the higher ups. Now it's just a matter of finding that new direction.

@Erik2.0, I really wish that were the case, but unfortunately there's some stuff you just have to do to keep the process running. If it stops, that means people could see an increase in the cost of their medicine, or that they might not get it at all. There's a responsibility to it that one cannot shirk--well, they can and I've seen it, but they shouldn't. For a few reasons, the area I'm responsible for is prone to emergencies. It's the nature of the process. 

---

I tried getting up early today, but it didn't happen and I dozed in my bed for an hour and a half. Broke a couple of habits there. That was the extent of my habit breaking today, so it was a good recovery. 

Again, I'm really sad that I'm going to start looking for work elsewhere for all the positive things I take out of the company, and the fact that I know that there will always be something unsatisfying at any place of work unless I work for myself. 

Oh, and I'm on day 300. Woo! I've done a lot more interesting stuff with my time. Feels good man.

Get a new job for sure. You're committing your life to this company and they aren't going to commit themselves to you. It's unfair and you're suffering. You can like your coworkers all you want, but you never mention they speak to you outside of work or anything. That means when you leave you'll never speak to them if you leave. I was extremely popular at my old company and only 2 people spoke to me after I quit after talking to 60 people. 

I'm extremely popular at my company now, but when I quit only 3 people spoke to me. 6 speak to me now outside of work. 

You'll find a better life. These people, your job, your firefighting won't matter. You can find a job that may be less interesting, but provide you with a life where you won't be relying on bad habits to provide you stress relief. 

21 hours ago, DaBest said:

Day 300

---

Hey good stuff man. Day 300 is a big deal 🙂 . I understand your job is important and there are responsibilities to take on. Sometimes working is the right thing to do even if it's a lot. I'm reading a book on sleep and it says to sleep and wake up at the same time every day for the best sleep. Even if you're tired don't nap just keep doing your same times and your sleep will even out.

• Like 1

Day 302

No VG - 302 days, no sports news - 0 days, NF - 1 day, SOB -  1 day, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  7 days, NLAF - 6 days,  NSOC - 6 days, Meditation - 0 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 10 days.

It's Saturday, but I'm using my computer today. I don't care.

Last night was rough. I got to work late around 9:30 AM and left Saturday at 5 AM.  This is the longest I've ever been at work. I'm on-call right now. It was a major issue. There were a lot of other engineers there too. There's a "how many engineers does it take to fix" joke in there somewhere. Another engineer was able to figure something out this morning while I slept. It's probably a combination of things.

Missed my morning social event since I got up around 12:30. I was feeling down about missing out on yet another social opportunity. I'm concerned about this whole coronavirus thing because that's just gonna cause more of that once it gets in my neck of the woods. 

Again, I'm looking for other opportunities now. This is not good for me right now. I'm sure I can find something comparable that gives me more time back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaBest said:

Day 302

No VG - 302 days, no sports news - 0 days, NF - 1 day, SOB -  1 day, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  7 days, NLAF - 6 days,  NSOC - 6 days, Meditation - 0 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 10 days.

It's Saturday, but I'm using my computer today. I don't care.

Last night was rough. I got to work late around 9:30 AM and left Saturday at 5 AM.  This is the longest I've ever been at work. I'm on-call right now. It was a major issue. There were a lot of other engineers there too. There's a "how many engineers does it take to fix" joke in there somewhere. Another engineer was able to figure something out this morning while I slept. It's probably a combination of things.

Missed my morning social event since I got up around 12:30. I was feeling down about missing out on yet another social opportunity. I'm concerned about this whole coronavirus thing because that's just gonna cause more of that once it gets in my neck of the woods. 

Again, I'm looking for other opportunities now. This is not good for me right now. I'm sure I can find something comparable that gives me more time back.

Get out there and find new opportunities. There's a new super virus or disease that comes out every year and you're just going to be doing this for the rest of your life. Making a difference is one thing, but you've got to really love people more than yourself in order to make it worth while. Collectively, you know companies will properly develop vaccines over time to subdue these viruses. On the other hand, you still know that millions of people will die each year due to these illnesses and much more. 

What I'm saying is regardless of whether you work there or not, throughout the history of mankind there are cures and there are deaths. Is it worth your misery to be part of this firefighting? Or can you do something different? Don't be afraid to live life for yourself. In general, nobody really cares about anyone but themselves. You can find examples of this everywhere, even diaries on this website with people never once commenting on another person's diary for multiple years or even responding to what people say in their diaries for years. Maybe giving it a "like". It's the same thing everywhere else.

I think you just gotta find a job that lets you have a social life, time balance where you are only there 8 hours a day on average at a set time, and still has the benefits and pay to rival or outdo your current office. They're out there. Just do your thing. 

But you already know this. I'm just adding fuel to the fire for a firefighter to deal with it.

• Like 1

Day 303

No VG - 303 days, no sports news - 1 days, NF - 2 days, SOB -  2 day, NNO59 - 1 day, NIA1030 -  8 days, NLAF - 7 days,  NSOC - 7* days, Meditation - 0 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 11 days.

@BooksandTrees, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The human race will go on no matter what and if I die, so what? However, I am not looking forward to potential lockdowns that every single country who has a significant outbreak has employed to date. It just compounds on a lot of raw feelings right now. That's my main sticking point. 

Agree on the job as well. I'm good at firefighting, which is a useful skill, but I'd much prefer a job where I can use this skill not at 5 AM for multiple nights in a row. For the time being though, whenever I'm responsible for maintaining the safety of a ridiculous amount (cost wise) of product--numbers I can't give, but it's a lot--it's my responsibility, and I'm trying to be more responsible.

---

Didn't do much yesterday. Woke up late. Recovered. Called home. Took a nap...and got a phone call. Back to work for another emergency. 8 PM - 2 AM. Went home, fell asleep on the couch but I don't care since I was so tired. Not breaking my streak for that. Got another phone call at 4 AM, had to go in again. Out around 5:30 AM.

This has been an absolutely brutal week, and an especially brutal on-call session. 

This week won't be much easier. Contractors coming in and that will be three days of up to thirteen hour days ending on Saturday. 

Things I'm looking forward to:

Gathering today with my improv team, hanging out with friends the Saturday after, once I get out of work.

• Like 2

Day 304

No VG - 304 days, no sports news - 2 days, NF - 3 days, SOB -  0 days, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  0 days, NLAF - 8 days,  NSOC - 8 days, Meditation - 0 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 0 days.

Was up late last night. Doing market research. Ended up putting in a lot of sell orders for some stocks that I own at market open. Paid off, but I wish I had done this Friday, as I would've saved a lot more. For this research, I had to completely unblock my internet blocker. I've been abusing it a bit. 

Got to work late as I just needed sleep. Picked up some items. 

One of the facilities techs whom I respect greatly paid me a big compliment today. I was touched. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm going to be leaving soon after he said "don't leave" even though he came very close to doing so for himself recently, and still might. 

Had therapy today. I just need to get back on track. Just re-enabled the blockers. 

I felt motivated after therapy today. To stop lying to myself and others. To do better. To take more risks. To live more in reality. 

I'm gonna meditate and clean up.

• Like 1

Day 305

No VG - 305 days, no sports news - 3 days, NF - 0 days, SOB -  1 days, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  0 days, NLAF - 9 days,  NSOC - 9 days, Meditation - 1 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 0 days.

Had gotten to work late (planned) today. Left around midnight. Had to prepare for contractors tomorrow. 

Got home and had to remove the blockers again for some research. Made some more trades today. Blockers back up.

Oh and I cleaned all my dishes after breakfast today, and I felt strangely good about it. I love an empty sink. A full sink makes me feel ashamed and depressed, even years later. I wouldn't doubt if the sight of that has caused me to stay in on some weekends.

My brain is weird.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 2:10 AM, DaBest said:

Day 305

No VG - 305 days, no sports news - 3 days, NF - 0 days, SOB -  1 days, NNO59 - 0 days, NIA1030 -  0 days, NLAF - 9 days,  NSOC - 9 days, Meditation - 1 days, No Internet Saturdays - 0 week, Post-It Weekends - 0 weeks, no settings changes - 0 days.

Had gotten to work late (planned) today. Left around midnight. Had to prepare for contractors tomorrow. 

Got home and had to remove the blockers again for some research. Made some more trades today. Blockers back up.

Oh and I cleaned all my dishes after breakfast today, and I felt strangely good about it. I love an empty sink. A full sink makes me feel ashamed and depressed, even years later. I wouldn't doubt if the sight of that has caused me to stay in on some weekends.

My brain is weird.

We all have our weird things about us. I like a clean sink too. I have a hard time cleaning the blender sometimes haha. Hope works going well.

• Like 1

Don't know what day this is. 

I've been a bit of a mess recently and avoiding posting. The blockers have been off and it's been difficult to not lapse into bad habits. I've been spending a lot of time researching this whole coronavirus thing for a few reasons (in order of importance):

1) Not getting my parents sick when they visited last weekend.

2) Not adding to the burden when it washes through my town.

3) Not losing all of my money on the market (dat sweet alpha...)

4) Preparing for social isolation...wait, I'm good at that.

I believe I was successful with the first, though I am sick. I may have allergies for the first time. Also think I had a sinus infection a while ago. Nonetheless, I feel like a leper right now. I am going to the doctor though tomorrow since my doc thought it was a sinus infection and the antibiotics haven't worked. Had a small not-quite-clinical fever yesterday, so I find it doubtful I have the coronavirus. I'm also not concerned too much if I do get it, except for the swamped hospitals. Also, working from home is difficult because I get distracted far more and live like a child.

Coronavirus is confirmed to be in my town and my hometown where my parents live. I'm concerned for them. They're older. I think I prepared them well, and for the most part, they've actually done what I've suggested. They're phenomenal at social isolation, so hopefully they should be good too. I'm pretty loaded too. Though that spray-tanned idiot running this whole mess is making this far worse than what it needs to be. I should look into moving to South Korea and risk getting nuked, haha.

I have saved a lot of money with this market downturn and am prepared for the upcoming recession and recovery pretty well. I've even made some money in some areas. Just waiting to see what big moves the federal government makes, or lack thereof...it's probably lack thereof. 

On the last bit, I had a last hurrah just before my parents got here. My improv team had our most important show yet, and we did really well. I had the most fun I've ever had performing. 

I'm going to bed now. It's super late.

Oh and I still haven't touched video games or related content. That's good.

Edited by DaBest
  • Like 3