NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hi, I'm Django

Django

Hi there,

I'm Django, and I decided that enough was enough. I have been a video game addict for as long as I can remember, enven though when I was a kid, it wasn't that much. It's only when I got internet for the first time that everything went downhill. It's a long story, one that I won't forget but the one I want to share is my new life, starting from now on, this is Chapter 1! ;)

It's actually funny. I have been (and surely still am, it's only the beginning) an addict on a substance I didn't master at all. I mean, I'm not even good at video games! When I was a kid, I don't really remember finishing games, or if I did, it was with a walkthrough from the gaming magazines I bought. FPS? I can't aim. MMO's? I'm taking ages levelling a character, I suck at pvp, and I reroll characters all the time. Well I guess the most important is to have fun, but it isn't fun losing.

A few months back, in July to be precise, I attempted to stop gaming. It worked for a few weeks, maybe even a full month! But what I didn't know, was that I actually didn't stop gaming at all! I deleted my characters on a MMO, but I didn't stop playing the browser games I was playing at the time. So for my second try, I'm doing it differently.

I'm not playing the web browsers anymore. Sold my players on a sport management game, left a team on the other game. I have put my PS4 on sale, it's not sold yet but I plan to pack the PS4 in the box and put it away until it is! The hardest part of this decision is that one game I play, casually, with my 4 year old son. He likes it so when I think about it, it hurts, I feel like I'm taking something away from him. But at a young age like that, they forget quickly and have so many other forms of entertainment. One reason I'm quitting the lifestyle, is because I can see how it is affecting the people I care for.

Right now, I'm taking it one step at a time, taking it really slowly. I will read again (2 years ago I bought a e-reader and read quite a lot), listen to podcasts, watch movies and series I missed, and try to keep my son away from games (tablet) and mindless youtube videos about gaming he is watching on YT! He is only 4 years old ... I don't want him to follow my old steps. So I have to be an example, at that will be the new me. But I'm not only doing it for them, I certainly do it for me and my well being. Before I can help others, I have to help myself. For a long time I thought about controlling my gaming, limit myself. But I can't, this isn't my personality. It's everything or nothing. In this case, it will be nothing!

In the next few days I'll open up a journal, and I will certainly read yours and comment on a few posts here.

Thanks!

Hi Django, welcome to the community!

It's a noble thing you're doing to give up something you like to do for the betterment of your family. You have the right idea to stop playing all types of video games, that way you will be no longer relying on computers for many of your needs. Now you'll need to make sure that you can find alternative, engaging activities to use instead of gaming. Without new activities it will be much harder to resist the temptations of instant gratification that video games bring. I'd recommend that you have a look at Cam's 60+ hobby ideas if you don't have new activities to replace gaming with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/flgut9tf6267fb1/60-Hobby-Ideas-v2.pdf?dl=0

Good luck for your recovery, and have fun with a new lifestyle!

Hey Django! Thanks for joining us here as well.

Coming to a place of "enough is enough" is a powerful turning point in your life. Joe (wookieshark) also has a child (newborn) and quitting has done wonders for their relationship (you can read about it in Joe's Journal). I have no doubts the same will happen for you and your son. 

Let me know if we can help at all. :)

Hi Alex! Thanks for the nice words. Indeed, I have to find other activities. So far, I'm taking it slowly. I enjoyed watching series while I was doing my daily fitness on my exercise bike. But it has been a while. Back then, I only played one game, and read a lot. So these are 2 things I want to do already.

Thanks Cam! You are already helping with the forum when we can all share our stories, thoughts, feelings.

I have been busy this week! I'm tired, and this not from gaming ;) Work, release of Star Wars movie (10PM session), more work and family! I have a few days off next week and probably a whole week at the end of 2015. This will be the real challenge! But like I said, this will be the perfect time to add reading and fitness.

Hey Django! Thanks for joining us here as well.

Coming to a place of "enough is enough" is a powerful turning point in your life. Joe (wookieshark) also has a child (newborn) and quitting has done wonders for their relationship (you can read about it in Joe's Journal). I have no doubts the same will happen for you and your son. 

Let me know if we can help at all. :)

Thanks for the mention!  One small thing, my baby has progressed from newborn to infant and is nearing the toddler stage! :D  I get very pedantic when it comes to my baby, haha.

Django, please feel free to ask me anything at all.  I have found a real passion for contributing in this community, and that includes you now that you joined!

Hi Joe and thanks! I've already read a bit of your journal, a few snippets here and there. Will surely read it more in the next few days and also create my own journal.

Tomorrow it will be one week I'm game free. My PS4 is now back in the box, ready to be sold. It isn't easy but not as hard as I thought.

I've really stopped all the games, not like a few months back where I only stopped playing the MMO. I didn't know how I did it but I know it surely is because of you guys, reading a bit the forum, and Cam's videos. Awesome!

Yes, Woohoo! :D

You should be proud, you are helping us to get on the right track of "not gaming"! I can easily imagine being proud of myself if I could affect the life of one single person in the right way, but you are certainly doing it for more than one person! Cheers. Just opened my journal too and will share there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Django nice to meet you!

I can relate a 100% of not being good at games.It is kind of strange that even though I was always loosing in gaming a spent two decades doing it!

It really doesen´t make any sense at all. I think now that I never actually played because it was fun, it was an reality escape or get conformation from my friends that was gaming.

Either way it is madness, and I am done with it. Glad to hear you have made the right step aswell :)

Django I can TOTALLY relate to you! :o

I've never been good at games, unlike my brother. He is like a gaming expert, and when I would be playing he would watch and constantly disparage my ability. It pissed me off. But I'm ready to move past that, and to be able to focus on my priorities.

Edited by Paul A.

Hi Paul,

Yes, we have to move past that and find something we are good at. Not being good at gaming isn't important! It has saddened me a lot though, and I couldn't really find things I was good at (like sports, playing an instrument, etc ...). But I think it's all the same, it takes practice to get better, but with a method. Gaming was the same. Just playing another game without focusing on getting better didn't work of course.

Hi Paul,

Yes, we have to move past that and find something we are good at. Not being good at gaming isn't important! It has saddened me a lot though, and I couldn't really find things I was good at (like sports, playing an instrument, etc ...). But I think it's all the same, it takes practice to get better, but with a method. Gaming was the same. Just playing another game without focusing on getting better didn't work of course.

Edited by Danielk
Reply below

I can relate 100% Django. It is all about practise and commitment. People often tell you what you can and can`t do let me give you an an example.

Eventhough my addiction to gaming I achieved some things during the time. As well as I am sure you have done.

In my life eventhough everybody said I would fail (including my family) I got my exam in engineering with no technical background. Some years after the rest in my class but I never gave up, I practised and commited. 

When I started traiding the financial markets, everybody said I would fail. Now I am slowly starting to make some small money and suddenly people seeks advice.

People see their own failures in other peoples success. But it has never been about them. It is about you. Your goals and life. And when you achieve your goals you can help others, it becomes as positive spiral. All you have to do is commit and practise. I have many times been wondering what my passion is, my life goal etc.

I have figured out that I love it all. I want to do as much as I can before I die. Fly a Mig 29 over Russia, run in the zombie boot camp in Detroit, drive a pick up truck with a skylift on the back through the jungle of the Amazons. And I want to settle with a wife and have healty kids. Perhaps have my own farm and watch the sunset over the fields. Really the issue is time and money. I now realise what a fake life is or a false reality.It is hiding behind a screen gaming. Why? Because other people have problems with their lifes? Because some coperate guy wants to earn millions and you have to work your ass of and use gaming as drugs? Screw all that shit. I know this. All you guys coming to this place are strong. Strong.

You have done the one thing many others can´t. Taking control. You guys are alreay winners and leaders breaking out from the herd. Leaders all of you. This place is a wonderfull thing and I can´t wait to start follow your guys and reading your stories. And Cam your are awesome! :)

Edited by Danielk

Hi Paul,

Sorry @Django that I didn't get around to responding sooner, I haven't visited the Introductions subforum in ages.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, they are much appreciated. I can relate, I've struggled to assert myself that there is something I am good at (whether it be a certain game, or a sport, or even spelling, I've won two school bees consecutively), but in order to be good at something you have to put work into improving, something I will try to do in the future.