NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Overcoming Hurdles That You Know Are Coming

seriousjay

Hey guys, very simple question requiring a rather complicated answer potentially. Obviously I'll take any advice but am hoping to hear from people who have run into what I'm running into time and again and eventually overcame it.

Long story short, how do you overcome major hurdles that you KNOW are coming and could last for a prolonged period of time? One example would be a major hit of nostalgia that could last days or even weeks. How do you prepare yourself to give yourself the best possible chance of overcoming such obstacles?

Edited by jaylajkosz

PREPARE beforehand. Build contingency plans.

For example, I was just planning to move to LA. But my roommate situation fell through. But I had already PLANNED for that possibility, so I was able to go with PLAN B very quickly.

Read An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield.

For example, I was just planning to move to LA. But my roommate situation fell through. But I had already PLANNED for that possibility, so I was able to go with PLAN B very quickly.

Can you be more specific? I realize I need to plan for those things but how? I am honestly at a loss..

Can you be more specific? I realize I need to plan for those things but how? I am honestly at a loss..

Focus on IF THIS, THEN THAT

Example: If the place I'm moving into LA falls through, THEN I will do _____________

Hey guys, very simple question requiring a rather complicated answer potentially. Obviously I'll take any advice but am hoping to hear from people who have run into what I'm running into time and again and eventually overcame it.

Long story short, how do you overcome major hurdles that you KNOW are coming and could last for a prolonged period of time? One example would be a major hit of nostalgia that could last days or even weeks. How do you prepare yourself to give yourself the best possible chance of overcoming such obstacles?

When Mists of Pandaria was released for World of Warcraft my friends organized a LAN to celebrate. I'd been relatively clean from Warcraft since Wrath of the Lich King, but I was really excited. Like, a kid at Christmas excited: It was a chance to re-connect with old friends I thought... I'll have so much fun I thought! And it's coming out in September! It's a new semester of school, I won't really be that busy!

To my shame, I attended the LAN - We played for 20 hours straight, drank lots of booze, ate crappy food. - And you want to know how I felt when my girlfriend came to pick me up the morning after? - PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY ILL.

I feel lucky in a way. I'd gone back to school and was maintaining a 4.0.  - I realized I wasn't willing to compromise that, I knew I needed to go through recruitment for Accounting jobs and I needed to keep doing well at school. It was literally one thing, one good thing about my life I wasn't willing to compromise.

This is my suggestion: Can you think of one thing about your real life. The life you're living right now, that is worth giving an extra 10% for in exchange for not gaming? It's easy to think: "Well I can game, and keep maintaining that thing anyway." -- But there's the trap. Because life develops slowly, it requires less care, but constant care. And when you start gaming you lose your vigilance. At first you're gaming, and still growing your passion. Then you're gaming, but it's still okay because you're maintaining all the things in your life. Then one day you drag yourself out of bed at 10AM - You realize everything you were passionate about has been declining. If you're lucky it's all still there, simmering away on a backburner, but it's evaporating. And what do you have to show for it? "Champion" ... "Legendary" ... "Gladiator" ...

It's not worth it. Life is slow, but it needs your care and attention, and it's worth it. Give it all you've got!

Focus on IF THIS, THEN THAT

Example: If the place I'm moving into LA falls through, THEN I will do _____________

Thanks! I will see what I can come up with.

When Mists of Pandaria was released for World of Warcraft my friends organized a LAN to celebrate. I'd been relatively clean from Warcraft since Wrath of the Lich King, but I was really excited. Like, a kid at Christmas excited: It was a chance to re-connect with old friends I thought... I'll have so much fun I thought! And it's coming out in September! It's a new semester of school, I won't really be that busy!

To my shame, I attended the LAN - We played for 20 hours straight, drank lots of booze, ate crappy food. - And you want to know how I felt when my girlfriend came to pick me up the morning after? - PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY ILL.

I feel lucky in a way. I'd gone back to school and was maintaining a 4.0.  - I realized I wasn't willing to compromise that, I knew I needed to go through recruitment for Accounting jobs and I needed to keep doing well at school. It was literally one thing, one good thing about my life I wasn't willing to compromise.

This is my suggestion: Can you think of one thing about your real life. The life you're living right now, that is worth giving an extra 10% for in exchange for not gaming? It's easy to think: "Well I can game, and keep maintaining that thing anyway." -- But there's the trap. Because life develops slowly, it requires less care, but constant care. And when you start gaming you lose your vigilance. At first you're gaming, and still growing your passion. Then you're gaming, but it's still okay because you're maintaining all the things in your life. Then one day you drag yourself out of bed at 10AM - You realize everything you were passionate about has been declining. If you're lucky it's all still there, simmering away on a backburner, but it's evaporating. And what do you have to show for it? "Champion" ... "Legendary" ... "Gladiator" ...

It's not worth it. Life is slow, but it needs your care and attention, and it's worth it. Give it all you've got!

I see what you're saying. Thanks for the advice!