NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Maslow's hierarchy of needs pyramid

Zeliow

hon.thumb.png.aad5ace62b91c670a2e49402fe

Maslow's hierarchy of needs pyramid. The way to see this is for example when someone does not have food to eat, that person is not concerned about morality. when someone is sick, he or she is not concerned about achievement. It got me thinking about what my priorities were when I was gaming too much and came up with my own hierarchy of needs for when I was gaming.

Edited by Zeliow

Oh, the memories of my first marketing class!

In modern society, the Maslow's pyramid model is easily messed up. For example, the workaholic husband who prioritizes work over family, friends. It also varies from different cultures.

Gaming is not a need itself. You fulfil needs by gaming, probably the top levels of the left side pyramid.

Nice post!

I saw a pyramid that turns this one upside-down.  Our greatest needs are philosophically defined,  pursuing what is good, beautiful, and true.  That is what makes us human.  It is true we can't do that unless our basic needs are met, but how much are we truly thinking about pursuing food, clothing, etc. in our modern age.  Well, I hope not too much.  Those things are taken care of more easily than ever before.  We have so much more time to pursue works of wonder... but distractions are so well-done we easily give our whole minds and souls to games.  May we seek first the best things and leave behind the worthless ones.

• 2 months later...

Interesting approach, I know Maslow as well from a psychology class. I also felt that gaming interferes with the basic needs: it provides a sense of safety, a "cocoon" in a way. It is predicable, one does not get judged and gets a sense of achievement as well from trophies and the like. The social element is replaced by multiplayer and VoIP chats and prestige is conveyed in terms of skill, contribution to a guild et cetera. Virtual progress does not replace real progress though - this was my wake-up call.

Henry David Thoreau also approaches the idea of basic needs of a human from a philosophical point-of-view in his novel Walden, in case anybody is interested.