NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Jon's Journal (Archived)

Jon

Day 1: Feeling a bit down today, but I'm going to try and start the Game Quitters Challenge. Honestly, I'm just starting it so I have some sort of purpose.

• Write a letter to yourself about how you're currently feeling and why it's important to you to move on from games. Why do you want to make this change in your life?
    • Moving on from games has nothing to do with games. I just want to try having a different life. At the moment I'm overweight, my apartment is a borderline disaster, I have a small number of friends who feel more distant from me, and there's 0 purpose. I know this is the new year, but it feels like any other day of trying to find some sort of drive. I don't even know how to find an inner drive. Suicide has been on my mind, but not because I'm tired of life and think it's too hard. I just haven't found a reason to try.
  • Write one or two sentences describing how you believe other people currently perceive you.
    • Taking ideas from what's stated above, I think people who are mostly focused on money see a pretty 'successful' guy. I graduated college and make a good chunk of money. Those who have the opportunity to look past the money see a soulless fella. I'm slightly obese. Enough to feel disgusting. My aparment is messy. Enough for me to feel lazy. My job is what I have going for me and though it's a very nice job. I don't feel like I'm really helping anyone.
  • Write one or two sentences describing how you'd like to be perceived by others.
    • I don't have to be in shape, but I would like to not be overweight or seen as overweight/obese. I want people to look at me and see someone who is driven even if it's about something they think is ridiculous. Someone who can create their own purpose.
  • List three of your behaviors or characteristics you would like to change.
    • Weight/Body shape.
    • Drive.
    • Self-control.
  • Determine how many more days you have left to live.
    • 19,844 days. At my current rate of behavior I doubt this number.

Happy New Year.

-Jon

Thanks!

Day 2: Not as good as day 1 if measured by level of productivity. I didn't realize how much waking up at 6:30 and going through a morning routine would benefit the rest of my day. My focus was on point in comparison today where I woke up late due to staying up to late. Onto the mission today.

• Answer the following: Three goals I want to accomplish right now are:
    • Wealth: Developing my project management skills.
    • Health: Maintain an exercise routine.
      • I've never had an exercise routine that I followed for more than a couple days. Once I develop a habit of exercise then I can focus on optimizing it.
    • Creative: Practice creating cross platform mobile apps.

I didn't want to put programming under the wealth and creative columns. It is possible my life is missing a creative outlet that is not related to work (i.e. music, drawing, video, editing) but I'm not sure at this point. Maybe learning a new language.

• Now take each goal and brainstorm ideas for a project:
    • Simulate a team project setting for goal #3 (cross platform mobile apps), Also, read.
      • This is a weak project, but I need to do more research to figure out how best to practice project management.
    • Over the next two months use the CARROT FIT app and follow its workout each day.
      • The benefit to this app is that it's slightly entertaining and the exercises are all things I can do in my house. I have no intention of ever making a trip to the gym a daily habit. The app just tells me what to do and I follow which means I don't have to make any decisions.
    • Develop 1 minimal viable product a month. Each one should target different, common use cases for applications.

I plan to commit to all to goals 2 and 3. One is physical and the other mental, so I don't see why I couldn't do both. Goal 1 is something I'll work towards, but it's not quite clear enough yet.

• Scheduling:
    • Goal 2 will be done at 6:15 in the morning for 15 minutes.
    • Goal 3 will be done at 7:00-8:00 in the morning. I may need to allocate more time for this after work.
    • I've noticed that though I don't like to wake up early I am more productive during the morning hours.

Cheers.

-Jon

Day 3: A little short on time today. It took me longer to read the first 32 pages to expect. I've actually read The Slight Edge before, but I see no reason not to read it again. I've read plenty of books that didn't resonate with me the first time, but later did. By far the most impact-full line I've read in the first chapter was...

"The reason diets and other how-to’s don’t work for most people is the same reason most how-to books and courses don’t work for most people. It isn’t that the actions are wrong. It’s that people don’t keep doing them."

I let out a sigh. Read it again. I let out a laugh. Read it again. It's embarrassingly simple, but it's my one failure. It reaffirms my decision to make "Self-control" my word of the year.

Day 4 here I come. 

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I honestly have no excuse for missing the last 4 days. My mood cycles (like most) and I happened to be in a valley, so I just didn't continue.

Day 4: Ugh, if I could wake up to my alarm and just hop out of bed it'd be amazing. I'm going to move exercising to when I get home because I dislike it enough that it keeps me from getting out of bed. 

I think I'll keep it simple and follow Cam's advice.

1. Get out of bed at 6.
  2. Headspace for 10 minutes.
  3. Shower.
  4. Get dressed.
  5. Make breakfast and read.
  6. Go to work.

Cheers.

@WorkInProgress I've recently found purpose comes from action. I guess I'm confused what leads a person to action then.

@WorkInProgress I've recently found purpose comes from action. I guess I'm confused what leads a person to action then.

Action leads to Action. You just Need to start. Start small but start. With time and consistent Action taking it gets easier adn easier to do That's absically what the slight edge is for.

10 pages, 5 pushups what ever small Habit you create it is an Action wich will accumulate to big effects and will make taking Action easier in the Progress.

Get out of bed at 6.

1. Headspace for 10 minutes.
  2. Shower.
  3. Get dressed.
  4. Make breakfast and read.
  5. Go to work.

If you manage to Keep this going for some time it will amke a big difference! TO do this every day is harder then it seems but has more benefits as you would think too.

• 1 month later...

Day 5 plus a month. I appreciate everyone's positive words. The past four years have been a struggle and I continue to struggle with my gaming addiction. I'm always pulled back to the game quitters mission though, so I know it's the right place to be.

Actually, I'm on day 5 since last playing so this is a perfect time to start Day 5 of the game quitters challenge. Another coincidence is earlier today I decided I was going to make my approach even simpler. For the next 21 days my only obligation is to wake up at 6:30 and meditate. That's it. It's getting late so I'll need to craft my vision board tomorrow.

Here's to always trying again. Cheers!

Day 9.

• I'm grateful for my job which allows me flexible hours and the ability to live a comfortable life.
  • I'm grateful that I like my job. It may not be love, but many people can't claim to even like their job.
  • I'm grateful that I was able to drive up and see my parents this weekend.
  • I'm grateful for my cat. Though he's a little s***, he's always there waiting for me when I get home. Even if it just because he wants me to feed him.
  • I'm grateful for my friends who are flawed, but are also driven. Together they show me examples of what it's like to succeed in different areas of life.

I've still been unable to conquer waking up earlier. If I do wake up earlier than usual I tend to just lay in bed until once again I'm running a bit late. Usually I blame depression or day with an event I'm dreading. This isn't the case most of the time. It's just a normal day with a little bit of new stuff, but nothing I can't manage.

Tomorrow morning I'll try again.

I've still been unable to conquer waking up earlier. If I do wake up earlier than usual I tend to just lay in bed until once again I'm running a bit late. Usually I blame depression or day with an event I'm dreading. This isn't the case most of the time. It's just a normal day with a little bit of new stuff, but nothing I can't manage.

Jocko Willink is a great guy to listen to (his podcast) on this subject. DISCIPLINE EQUALS FREEDOM.

Day 10,

I've downloaded his first 3 episodes. I'll check them out. Thanks Cam!

• I'm grateful for my roommate who's also my best friend.

No change from yesterday. I'm reading Essentialism by Greg Mckeown and I've been able to focus more on the pertinent tasks at work. Usually I get distracted easily by my coworkers or we'll start talking about problems other than the ones we're trying to solve. I also might be the proud owner of a triplex soon.

Peace.

Day 13,

My father was in town and we went out for dinner for 2 hours. We talked about a bunch of stuff from finances to family but then we got to fun. He asked me what I was doing this weekend. I know that if I had turned around and asked him that he would not have anymore of a response than I, but it doesn't make me feel any better. There's reading, cleaning, and programming, but I don't do anything else. A friend and I will try to start playing some racquet ball. I think I need to hike more on the weekends. I'm not sure about all of it. I need to get involved in something.

I'm grateful for my father, though sometimes we want to strangle each other, thankfully we never have. He always believes I can do what I set out to do.

Family can be the biggest challenge and be so fulfilling at the same time. Funny how that is?

I like your hiking and raquetball ideas. Always fun to develop skills like that, and they're great to pick up later on in life if you ever have to step away from them for a while.

Day 15,

Thank you for your input Simms =)

I didn't get as much done this weekend as I had planned. I'm catching an illness though, so I would point to that as a main factor. I've been trying to quit gaming for years, but every weekend I'm still surprised at how hard it is to avoid temptation. I end up surfing the internet most of the day either on reddit or news sites which are just cause a state of sadness in me. Afterwards I went on reddit and read some stories of people who attempted suicide. Occasionally I read stories about depressed people or people in poor situations to give myself a little perspective. It's so easy to be caught up in my own head where I'm constantly upset that I don't do enough or am too lazy or have nothing that pulls me out of bed in the morning. Those stories remind me that I have a lot going for me.

Here's to a new week. I'm glad I have work tomorrow because weekends leave too much time where temptation creeps in.

Cheers.

• Jon changed the title to Jon's Journal (Archived)