NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Time for something new

Stevec2283

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 8 of 90

I woke up this morning at around 9:30 am so I slept in a little bit but I thought, well there's not really much to do because the weather isn't all that great. 

So far today, I've done some reading and I also just finished my workout. I feel a whole lot better than I would be if I were gaming.

My thoughts have been on anything but gaming. I continue to say to myself that gaming is nothing more than a waste of time. Gaming companies know exactly how to reel you in, be it through sequels to games or updates to online games. I refuse to allow myself to be reeled in by them anymore.

Hope you all have a great day and continue to fight to reach your goals.

Edited by Stevec2283

Day 9 of 90

Today was another good day,I didn't really thing about gaming. Didn't really do a whole lot today besides work, and at work  I was exposed to gaming but as I did before I thought about how much of a waste of time that it is. But that being said, there were some urges for gaming and it can be tough but I have to keep on fighting.

Other than working I did some reading but I also wasted time watching random videos on YouTube. This is something that I really have to work on because even though I'm not gaming, at the same time I'm not being productive either. I know what I should do but I'm not doing it. If I'm going to be watching videos on YouTube then I should at least be learning something. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be a more productive day and I will use my time more wisely.

Hey it is good that you know what you should do. That's an important step. I think it helps a bit to set daily goals. Otherwise you never will be content with the stuff you done (there is always more). I use this routine to plan my day. I try to set 10 productive pomodoros as a goal. If I manage to them my day was good. If not I should procrastianted less. It is "only" 5 hours of productive work but enough to be mildly challenging(I have other stuff to do which doesn't count as writing emails etc. and I am prone to procrastinating). But I found it most important to set the pomodoro count so low that it was only mildly challenging. Otherwise I would start to delay tasks and push them to the next day. With realistic goals for th day I am way mroe content about the day. And this is important for me to stay consistent. If you haven't read the book I would recommend "The slight edge". It demonstrates the power and importance of consistency. I think His ideas would help you a lot.

Day 12 of 90

Not much has been happening lately but I'm still not gaming. I'm starting to feel like I felt before my last relapse though. I feel as if I'm on an emotional roller coaster that I can't get off of.  Sometimes I feel good and other times I feel as if I'm at a low point. I've got a lot of things going on right now and it feels as if I'm going in many different directions.

So far today I haven't done much, it has been a pretty unproductive day. This morning I left the house and went and got a coffee but only just to waste time and try to get my emotions in check. 

Later I will do some reading and I also have to work this evening. So hopefully my day starts to get better later on. 

Sorry for my rant, I thought that it would be best to express myself.

Day 12 of 90

Not much has been happening lately but I'm still not gaming. I'm starting to feel like I felt before my last relapse though. I feel as if I'm on an emotional roller coaster that I can't get off of.  Sometimes I feel good and other times I feel as if I'm at a low point. I've got a lot of things going on right now and it feels as if I'm going in many different directions.

So far today I haven't done much, it has been a pretty unproductive day. This morning I left the house and went and got a coffee but only just to waste time and try to get my emotions in check. 

Later I will do some reading and I also have to work this evening. So hopefully my day starts to get better later on. 

Sorry for my rant, I thought that it would be best to express myself.

I've had a very rollercoastery experience so far, I understand you pain. But it will get easier. Remember that you are not your emotions, you have emotions. And you can learn to master them. It takes practice however. Also if going out for coffee calms you down, I don't think it's a waste of time per se. I personally go for bike rides and walks if I feel overwhelmed, normally I come back refreshed and much calmer. If you go for coffee and come back in the same emotional state, then I agree it's a waste of time.

Stay strong!

@Mhyrion I just feel like I'm overwhelmed with everything that's going on and that maybe I should just take a step back and figure out if I'm perhaps trying to take on too many things at once.

I have some personal struggles that I'm working on as well, so at times I feel as if maybe I need to prioritize what I need to work out first. Maybe it's just my mind trying to tell me to do something that I shouldn't and maybe it's trying to tell me that it's ok to be gaming so that you can deal with the stress of everything. 

I want to be successful but at the same time I feel as if the stress of everything that I'm dealing with is weighing me down.

The question is not only what you prioritize but also if it will help you to game again. As I see it you have now more time to deal with your private issues be´cause you don't game.

Would gaming now really have a positive inpact on the other Areas of your life? In my experience to escape into gaming isn't as pleasant as you imagine. Me personally did it always stress more to game then not to game (ofcourse I still wanted too). Especially if things got hard and difficult I couldn't totally escape into gaming anymore. That was one reason why I quit in the first place. It seems to me like you Need another activity where you get temporary escape where oyu can relax a Little bit. How about listening to audiobooks or watching documentations? Sure this isn't "productive" but it also can take your mind from problems for some time and usually doesn't is as stressful as gaming.

@WorkInProgress

I agree, maybe by prioritizing it might help me to game again. I also think that I have more free time to deal with the issues I'm dealing with. 

I know that by gaming that my situation is not going to change but I'm looking for something to help with the stress. When I was gaming, I could temporarily disconnect from things that were stressful and relax but since I've quit gaming it seems as if I'm having difficulty making the adjustment.

It's just so frustrating and overwhelming with the combination of everything that's going on in my life.

I want to be successful but at the same time I feel as if the stress of everything that I'm dealing with is weighing me down.

Stress in inevitable in our life. Accept that, because this way you can work on something you have influence on.

I mean, your REACTION the stress. How do you deal with it? What kind of behaviour occurs when you get stressed/overwhelmed and/or feel cravings for relapse? And how else can you substitute it?

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

Stress in inevitable in our life. Accept that, because this way you can work on something you have influence on.

I mean, your REACTION the stress. How do you deal with it? What kind of behaviour occurs when you get stressed/overwhelmed and/or feel cravings for relapse? And how else can you substitute it?

When I get overwhelmed or stressed I usually get headaches and also sometimes it affects me in that I either start to not feel well or I may have heart palpitations or chest pains.  Not all of these are associated with withdrawal from gaming though. Usually when I feel overwhelmed because of gaming withdrawal sometimes I get headaches or have feelings of boredom. 

Not sure if I've answered your question properly.

As to how I deal with stress, I actually have a difficult time dealing with stress. 

As for a substitute for gaming, I've already started a few things such as reading and also working out but as for other things to do, I've been really struggling with finding other things to help me in dealing with everything. I feel at times like giving up or that maybe I'm not quite ready to give up gaming. But as I've said before, maybe this is just my mind telling me to give up.

When I get overwhelmed or stressed I usually get headaches and also sometimes it affects me in that I either start to not feel well or I may have heart palpitations or chest pains.  Not all of these are associated with withdrawal from gaming though. Usually when I feel overwhelmed because of gaming withdrawal sometimes I get headaches or have feelings of boredom. 

Not sure if I've answered your question properly.

As to how I deal with stress, I actually have a difficult time dealing with stress. 

As for a substitute for gaming, I've already started a few things such as reading and also working out but as for other things to do, I've been really struggling with finding other things to help me in dealing with everything. I feel at times like giving up or that maybe I'm not quite ready to give up gaming. But as I've said before, maybe this is just my mind telling me to give up.

You asked properly. Thanks for quick answer!

You have to find a way to deal with stress. Any Go-To activity you can fill your time with when you're stressed. I'll give you some examples that works for me:

• Finish what I have to do and annihilate stressor ASAP
  • Write about how I feel on my journal
  • Write morning pages
  • Write replies here
  • Play guitar
  • Read a book
  • Exercise/Dance/Sign a bit
  • Call a friend and talk for a couple of minutes
  • Eat something healthy

You have to find your own ways to deal with stress. :) That's all I can do for now to support you.

And well, your mind is not you right now. It can say you shitty things and they might be not true, because you're in a process of changing your life. I mean, c'mon how long did you played video games. A whole decade? It won't change in a couple of days!

First of all I want to thank everyone for being so supportive in my journey to quit video games, I really appreciate it.

As you know I've been struggling not only with gaming but also in dealing with my personal struggles as well. So after much thought I've decided that I'm going to step away from Gamequitters. I know that the last time that I said that I was going to leave I came back a few days later but this time I will be leaving and not coming back until I feel that I'm in a better situation with my personal struggles.

Thanks again for everything and I may be back one day.

It has a couple of days since I said that I was stepping away from Gamequitters and I've come to realize that even though I've went back to gaming, the stress is still there and nothing's changed. I know that I said that I was going to step away, but really it was nothing more than an excuse so I could go back to gaming. I don't feel any better, if anything I feel worse. This is my third attempt and I want to prove that this time I'm serious about it.

So far today, I haven't been gaming and I've started to do a schedule so that I can keep myself better organized and so that I can try and stop from wasting time.

Things I plan to do:

-Read more

-Have a workout routine

-Being more organized 

-Waste less time

Game Free Days:1

Edited by Stevec2283

Today is Day 2 of my journey in quitting gaming, so far today has went well. As I've said in a previous post I am starting to set a schedule so that I can keep track of where my time is being spent and also so I can be more organized.

So far today I've went for a walk, went for a coffee, did some reading, and I've done a few things around the house. I plan to do some more reading today and I may watch a movie. Gaming would have wasted time and I probably wouldn't have done any of the things that I've done so far.

Things that I've started doing since quitting gaming:

-Working out

-Reading more

-Becoming more organized 

-Wasting less time

Game Free Days: 2

Today is day 3 of my journey and so far today it has been a pretty good day. But I'm not going to get too ahead of myself because the last two times I was doing so well but let my emotions get the better of me. I have to take it one step at a time.

I've still been keeping a schedule to stay organized but today I haven't stuck completely to my schedule. I had planned to workout but because I was having a bit of a bad day I didn't follow through with it. But other than that I will do everything else on my schedule. But I left the house and went for a coffee and I'm starting to feel better.

Things I've started doing since quitting gaming:

-Read more

-Working out

-Being more organized

-Wasting less time

Game Free Days: 3

It's day 4 and so far it has been a good day, I don't have much to talk about, it's a slow day because it is stormy. So far I haven't thought about gaming and I'm going to continue to fight.

Things I've started to do since I quit gaming:

- Working out

- Reading more

-Being more organized 

-Wasting less time

Game Free Days: 4

Today is day 5 of my journey, this are still going quite well. I'm still keeping a schedule so as to stay organized and waste less time. I still struggle a bit with doing things that waste time and are non productive( ie. Watching videos on YouTube) but I am at working at managing my time more effectively.

I haven't really done much today, I was at work today so my thoughts were not on gaming at all.

I'm feeling good so far in my journey but I know that I still have a long way to go. I know that it's not going to be smooth sailing and that there's going to be bumps along the way but I will give it my all and keep fighting.

Game Free Days: 5