NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Time for something new

Stevec2283

Day 12

I want to quit gaming but I'm still struggling and  I'm still feeling like I'm being pulled in two different directions and I feel like giving up. Maybe quitting gaming just isn't for me or maybe I just have too much going on in my life that makes me want to gravitate towards gaming.

Maybe I'm just making excuses to justify gaming or maybe I'm not really trying as hard as I should.

Sorry that I'm rambling but I'm just frustrated and really wish I could overcome these feelings. I really don't know what to do.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just falling back in your habits now that the first excitement of quitting is gone. This is known as the two weeks hurdle. You did it long enough that it isn't new and exciting but not long enouhg to see much effects of it. If you look back at your first entry that is exactly yout pattern. Now is the time to break this pattern. Will it be hard? Sure. Can you do it? Ofcourse you can. It won't be comfortable or easy but it will get easier if you stick with. Why do you want to quit gaming? What did you want to achieve with it? These questions are important. Because it isn't about quitting games. It is about getting a better live.

If you go back to gaming I won't be angry. I know how it can be. But I would seriously wish you that you make it this time. Please think about what I wrote and answer this questions for yourself or here on the Forum. That's all I ask. Best of luck mate!

Edited by WorkInProgress

You just falling back in your habits now that the first excitement of quitting is gone. This is known as the two weeks hurdle. You did it long enough that it isn't new and exciting but not long enouhg to see much effects of it. If you look back at your first entry that is exactly yout pattern. Now is the time to break this pattern. Will it be hard? Sure. Can you do it? Ofcourse you can. It won't be comfortable or easy but it will get easier if you stick with. Why do you want to quit gaming? What did you want to achieve with it? These questions are important. Because it isn't about quitting games. It is about getting a better live.

If you go back to gaming I won't be angry. I know how it can be. But I would seriously wish you that you make it this time. Please think about what I wrote and answer this questions for yourself or here on the Forum. That's all I ask. Best of luck mate!

Well said Mario!

Day 13

Yesterday went pretty well, but there were times I thought of gaming. I was able to keep these thoughts at bay, rather than being reeled in. I left the house at around 9 am yesterday morning and didn't get home until around 12:00 pm, and then in the afternoon I did a short workout and then later in the afternoon I went to work. So overall yesterday was a good day.

Day 14

Woke up at around 8:00 am, nothing really planned for today as of yet. I can see one mistake I'm making and that is a lack of planning. Rather than planning, I just do whatever comes to mind.  

I know that today is going to be no different from other days in that the urge is still going to be there but I will keep going and keep fighting. I quit gaming for a reason and I'm not going to lose control and allow my mind to try to talk me out of it.

My day was pretty good, had some urges for gaming and still having those feelings of going back to gaming but I haven't caved in yet.  

Edited by Stevec2283

Two weeks! Keep going!

Day 14

Woke up at around 8:00 am, nothing really planned for today as of yet. I can see one mistake I'm making and that is a lack of planning. Rather than planning, I just do whatever comes to mind. 

I noticed this too, planning ahead really helps spending your time the way you want to.

Day 15

Even though it's been two weeks without gaming, the urges for gaming are still strong. Also it doesn't help that I have other things going on in my life that are making it seem much worse. I think that gaming has been like a way out from these other things and now I'm still looking to find that way out.

I really don't know how much more I can take, I feel as if I'm on an emotional roller coaster that I can't get off of. I feel torn as to what to do. I know that gaming is not going to change the situation but on the other hand I feel that if I can kinda disconnect from the other things even temporarily it will help me somehow. 

I'm at a loss when it comes to knowing what to do here and I feel that if I go back to gaming that I will have not only let myself down but also all those who have been so supportive of me.

I'll keep you posted of how things turn out for me.

I've decided that I'm going to step away from Gamequitters, I have really been struggling and with the other things I have going on in my life I don't really think I can continue with the detox. I'd much rather step away and work on these things, maybe I may come back to Gamequitters one day.

I've only been away for a couple of days and I've taken some time to reevaluate what was going on and triggering my urges for gaming and as I mentioned in another post that I was using gaming as a way out and that is true. Gaming is like a crutch.

Also I have relapsed and went back to gaming and I'm falling back into old habits. I've said to myself, I'll only play for a short time but soon that short time turns into a few hours of wasted time. Going back to gaming hasn't changed anything at all. If anything, it has only made things worse. There are many more important things that I can be doing with my time rather than gaming.

I'm planning on restarting the detox and trying to get rid of this addiction for good. I have to try my hardest to replace this bad habit with good habits. I also have to try to be better organized so that I can work at being successful this time.

Just finished deleting save data and restoring my system back to factory default. Also going to put it somewhere out of sight.

Edited by Stevec2283

Day 1

Time for a restart!!! Today is going good so far. This morning I had to clear the driveway and then I went to work so I haven't even thought about gaming. Hopefully I will be successful this time around, but I will take it one day a time.

Today went well,no thoughts of gaming....I need to work at being more productive rather than just doing things to simply occupy my time. My hobbies should at least be something that I'm actually accomplishing and something worthwhile. One problem that I do have is that when I'm bored I surf the internet without any real purpose but to waste time. At least if I'm going to be surfing the internet or watching videos on YouTube, I should be at least learning something.

I will keep working on these and also work towards bettering myself.

Edited by Stevec2283

Day 2

Today was a good day, kept myself busy most of the day. I hardly spent any time at home this morning and then this afternoon I kept myself busy so I didn't have time to think about gaming.

Quitting gaming is not easy but I know that it is possible. I just have to take it one day at a time.

Things I want to do:

- Start a workout routine 

- Become fluent in my language of choice, Japanese 

- Become more organized 

- Cut down on excessive time I spend on non essential things 

- Do more reading 

Day 2 of 90

Day 3 of 90

Today was good, didn't do much today, was out of the house all morning and then in the afternoon I went to work until 10 pm. So I didn't have a chance to even think about gaming. Tomorrow is my day off, so I'll do what I can so that gaming doesn't come into my mind.

Things I want to accomplish:

- Be more organized 

- Become fluent in Japanese 

- Do more reading 

Gaming may be like a drug but I won't allow it to have a hold on me.

Day 4 of 90

Woke up: 8:00 AM

Today was a pretty quiet day, didn't do much today. It was my day off from work today, but I still didn't spend much time home. I was out with a friend for a coffee and we spent about an hour or so chatting.  I didn't even think about gaming even though the topic came up, but only because I was talking about how I was giving up gaming. We both agreed that gaming was a big time waster and how you don't accomplish anything by it.

Things I want to accomplish:

- Be more organized 

- Do more reading 

I still haven't really started anything from my list of things I want to be able to accomplish, so I need to stop procrastinating and putting things on hold. It's not easy to get started but it will get easier with time.

Whatever you do, start with max. two items of that list. Think what is most important to you and work on them for the next 1-2 weeks. If this works out add another one. Focus and priorities are the most important steps to success.

A way to help you start at these things is to break them down and plan them in your week. Think of the steps you need to take to do them. Think of as little steps as possible.

For example: Start a workout routine: Step 1) Find out what are my options (bw-training, running, swimming, fightsports) Step 2) decide on what I want to try out Step 3)  What is the first action I can do towards it (learn the technique of one excercise and try it out) Step 4) How can I plan it into my daily rhythm to amke sure that I actually do it? etc..

For example to become more organized I would advice you to make a plan of your week. For the start I would just use google calender and block your working times. Then you can fill in things you will do next week. My advice would be to plan in very little for the first two weeks just to get into the habit of actually doing what you put down. With time you'll realize where you have time and energy to do more. We tend to overestimate our time.

Another tip would be to listen to audio books at commuting to work or cleaning. I started using audible lately and "read" the obstacle is the way in three days. It is often hard to carve out time for reading. But listening while doing something which won't take much mental power isn't that big of a deal.

If you want a good bodyweight-routine with a lot of explanatory videos check this out.

Day 6 of 90

Things have been rather quiet the past couple of days. I've been working mostly and haven't thought about gaming at all. I've even been able to start at least one of the things on my list of things I want to do. I've been able to increase the amount of reading that I do. I've even thought of listening to it as well and that will help as well.

Things I Want To Accomplish:

- Start a workout routine(Started)

- Become more organized 

- Do more reading(Started)

Quitting gaming is not easy but I will continue to fight and not give up so easily as I did before. I'm going to take things one step at a time.

Edited by Stevec2283

Hello mate!

What is your substitute to video games? I mean, what exactly are you going to do instead of humming themes and thinking about it a lot?

Give me at least 2 examples for 3 type of activities, which are:

• Mentally engaging
  • Social
  • Resting

Can't wait to see you're dealing with my quest! :)

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

Day 7 of 90

Today hasn't really been any different from any other day. I haven't had any urges for gaming even though I was around implements of gaming at work. It got me thinking about how much money people spend each year on something that is the biggest time waster. 

Why do something that doesn't accomplish anything when you can do something meaningful.

I will keep working towards reaching my first goal which is to complete the 90 day detox and I will also work other smaller goals in around that.

"Time is something that cannot be regained, so use your time wisely."

Edited by Stevec2283