NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Beyond the Detox

Reno F

Is it seriously possible to go outside in Japan only if you have money? Aren't there any events which are free?

There are some 'festivals' here and there. Everything else has a cost. Even the language exchange meetups, the organizers ask for anything between $1 to $5, plus, you also have to buy a drink from the place, as they are usually held at a cafe or bar. But I feel like that because I compare Kyoto to Melbourne. Compared to Melbourne, every city looks bad, haha.

-----------------------

Green flag for JS

I'm making progress with CSS and I started today Javascript, which is way more interesting that web layout. From tomorrow I'm going to start layouting one site, for practice sake. I also should start writing content to another one, but this one I might want to use something like wordpress to manage content.

Yesterday was holiday here, so I went to the city outskirts to see some autumm leaves. A very pleasant sightseeing day.

Grateful practice:

- Skype, for making possible to talk to

- my buddies in my home country

- 90's, for giving birth to bands like Supergrass

Edited by Reno F
write the post title

Quick Post

I spend the day on HTML/CSS. I can see now that the challenge in web designing is on the design part rather than code. What I thought would be a rational activity turned out to be a creative one. Nice!

Things to do after I press submit:

- Exercise

- Write (this should take the rest of the night)

- Housework

- Plan for next week

Today I'm thankful for:

- Cozy socks

- Instant Messaging apps

- Paper Filter (for a good cup of coffee)

Another job interview

I got a call from the previous employer. He asked me to meet with someone else for one more interview before I start working. The 4th interview. Seriously... I would understand if I were applying to work for the FBI, but to work as a front desk clerk at a 2 star hotel? Part-time? I'm only going through this because the place is 3 minutes walk from my apartment.

And I started with JavaScript. Now I can feel like I'm programming a computer (HTML is like formating a word document, and that's it). It has the same basic structures of C, but with different names. Shouldn't be tough to get used to it. Meanwhile I spent two days to Make a responsible one column/two column section in HTML. 3 months before I'd be very frustrated with that, but it's all part of the learning process.

I've also spent a little too much time working on ropleplays... While I do think it is a good writing practice (and fun), I wonder if this is becoming a distracting factor, as I haven't started writing any content for my website plan nor started drafting anything for my book.

TodayI'm tahnkful for:

- epiphone special guitars: affordable quality.

- Winter ends by the end of february (yes, already looking forward to it).

- Internet and the people who make it great

Is it seriously possible to go outside in Japan only if you have money? Aren't there any events which are free?

There are some 'festivals' here and there. Everything else has a cost. Even the language exchange meetups, the organizers ask for anything between $1 to $5, plus, you also have to buy a drink from the place, as they are usually held at a cafe or bar. But I feel like that because I compare Kyoto to Melbourne. Compared to Melbourne, every city looks bad, haha.

You can also invite some friends to your home. I don't know how is it popular in Japan, but it will be still a social activity, and you don't even have to go outside! :)

Well, you made my mind blow.

So, there is anything creative in coding? :)

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

LOL they just like your company brother. ;)

Ask me on a date and pay me a dinner, then :)

You can also invite some friends to your home. I don't know how is it popular in Japan, but it will be still a social activity, and you don't even have to go outside! :)

Well, you made my mind blow.

So, there is anything creative in coding? :)

Except that they are all 'busy' and/or live in a different city.

There is always more than one way to solve a (programming) problem, and finding unusual ways is where creativity comes in. But I was talking about how HTML is more about design than computer programming.

---------------------------

Now I'm just going to fill in this entry with some ramble

It's been a while since I wrote something. 3 days, maybe 4? I've been thinking of writing some short stories just for the sake if it. I noticed on my last exercises that I was kind of developing a writing standard and I want to continue on this path for a while to see how I can improve.

I've finished a basic JavaScript course. Now I need a project to work on and apply my knowledge. I'm going to write a random name generator. There are tons of it on the internet, but so few good ones in Portuguese. If I do it well, this may become a tool for roleplayers and I can monetize it in the future. That would become my ten bucks per month website.

Meanwhile, today I joined a test for some automatic driving car developer in Japan. I was asked to act out some situations inside a car deck and they filmed my face. Mundane job, but it was in a part of the city that I've never been before and after the session, I took a walk in the beautiful park nearby. Recently I'm more atracted to the city outskirts and country side, rather than downtown... old age approaching.

Gratitude practice:

- Nature

- Tupperware containers

- The kind bus driver who told me I should get a different bus today

Except that they are all 'busy' and/or live in a different city.

Well, for "busy friends" I tried to invite them anywhere outside, to become a leader of the group and initiator. That helped me a lot in becoming more social. Thanks to that I'm getting an invitation from other friends, because I invited them couple of times first before.

How many times have you tried to invite anywhere "busy friends"? :) Try at least twice, if it won't help, then they're probably seriously too busy to have any friends :D

I tried to invite them anywhere outside, to become a leader of the group and initiator. That helped me a lot in becoming more social. Thanks to that I'm getting an invitation from other friends, because I invited them couple of times first before.

100%. If everyone was waiting for others to invite them to do things, everyone would be waiting around. Being a LEADER is about taking action to create the experience you want. Want to hang out with more friends? Put out more invites! If they're too busy, time to hang out in more social places to make other friends. 

Guys, that's the whole reason I'm looking for a better income source. Because nowadays you can't do shit without spending money. I guess I could try to speak to people randomly at the streets. I should probably do that sometime.

Anyway, Journaling a bit earlier today.

November restrospective

I gave some steps forward this month. I started to picture myself the lifestyle I want to live and took some actions towards it. I started writing more, and reading stuff that will give me a better vision on the next steps. I also started learning to program webpages and in two weeks I could learn way more that I thought it was possible.  To be honest, it was easier to break the entry barrier than I thought it would be. Today I joined a group of online enterpreneurs in the hopes that I can build some momentum and be in an environment with like-minded people. In November I finished the first work cycle as a GQ volunteer. With that concluded, I believe I've paid my debt to the community, but it is my personal mission to make the resources available to the Portuguese speaking public.

On the other hand, the steps where fewer than I wished to make. I have not met my goals for the month. I didn't write a single article, neither drafted a single paragraph for my book. Roleplay actually got in the way, and I noticed that I was putting too much of my time and energy on it, way more than the other participants at least. If anything, it was a good writing practice and creative excercise.

Time to get serious in December. I'm going to start working on night shifts twice a week until the last week, when I'll be out of town for new year. It is starting to get really cold, and I gotta pay extra attention in the mornings - I don't want to oversleep because of that.

Great move.

That was my dumb action for you :)

------------------------

I started to write a short horror story. Actually, I'm still outlining it, but the outline has already gotten a good 3000 words. I'm becoming more used to the idea of being a writer and I need something written to start calling myself that. I'll get there.

On monday I started my new part time job. Extra cash, and I get to challenge my Japanese. On the minus side, only night shifts in December. That means I have to build a routine for the days I work.

Studying code by itself became boring. I need a project to work on and keep things challenging and fun. Wait a minute, I have projects...

Gratitude Practice

- The guy from work. Very nice bloke.

- Wife's banana cake

- Hair wax

I finally sold my books that were being advertised.

It took almost three months and over 100 visits to the ad until someone would actually buy it. I was sure that I had written a good ad, but it took longer than I was expecting. The books were quite old, and I couldn't profit from them (considering the price I paid on them 5 years ago). But I freed some space in my room and someone else will make good use of them.

I got in another roleplay. The people involved are quite active and it has been fun so far. Also it keeps me writing everyday and I try to write good stuff to entertain the others.

Gotta reserve some time to work on my websites soon. Now that I have another source of income, I may get a low cost host for a website. The free ones are quite slow and have some downtime, at least the one I'm using now.

Today I'm grateful for

• 100 yen shops. You can get basically anything for 1 dollar.
  • Eye glasses.
  • Tables and chairs
  • 24/7 convenience stores

I started to write a short horror story. Actually, I'm still outlining it, but the outline has already gotten a good 3000 words. I'm becoming more used to the idea of being a writer and I need something written to start calling myself that. I'll get there.

It's simultaneously awesome and depressing to hear about other people writing. It makes me happy for you (since writing is magic), but it also reminds me that I've neglected my own writing habit for about a week. Ugh. (I should stop feeling sorry for myself and just do it, shouldn't I?)

I hope we'll get to the point where we can call ourselves writers someday. 

It's simultaneously awesome and depressing to hear about other people writing. It makes me happy for you (since writing is magic), but it also reminds me that I've neglected my own writing habit for about a week. Ugh. (I should stop feeling sorry for myself and just do it, shouldn't I?)

I hope we'll get to the point where we can call ourselves writers someday. 

Sup Simon, mate! The struggle to sit down and write will be a constant, regardless of how long you've been writing. I believe it is a similar struggle to go out and jog/run. I still haven't written shit for my websites, the only thing that I should be focusing on right now. Anyway, for me it is still my first steps in this unknown world of writers and I'm getting used to it, by reading and sometimes writing.

------------

Quick post: yesterday was 50% productive, 50% "wasted". Today was better. Got a haircut. Wrote for the roleplay. Read (should read more, my read list is getting longer).

Good things about today:

- Cheap haircut at a barber shop. Once I paid 3x more and got out the salon with the same looks, haha.

- My roleplay group: not very good writers (neither I am) but they are very engaged to the story.

- Online dictionaries: one of the reasons I never enjoyed reading in my teens was the need to look up words in a dictionary. now a computer does that for you!

- Firefox. I've installed this awesome extension called lifetime that shows you your age in nano seconds everytime you open a new tab. It sure shakes you up if you hadn't had anything good in mind when you opened that tab!

I think I'm softening up.

Like, going with the flow, instead of pushing thru. When I have to work, the stuff I do for myself gets compromised because <insert an excuse here>. But yesterday, during some idle time at work I started journaling on my notepad and came to this conclusion. It's usually when you are busy that you realize how valuable your time is. The fundamental law of economics.

With that in mind, I'm going to put more effort on my work - writing and coding. We are almost half way through December and I don't want to reach its end with the same regrets I had by the end of November.

Awesome things:

• microwave oven
  • pajamas
  • star jumps
  • the guys from the roleplay
  • English

Hi Reno! It seems that your problem is building momentum. Also keeping focused is important too; don't forget about your plans, visualize your work clearly.
Could I see some of your work from programming? Here or on private message, cause I'm very interested in it.

@Piotr if you don't mind seeing unfinished projects... do you want to see the code?

------------------

Study day

I'm getting myself more involved with noveling and roleplay stuff... I thinking of making it a business, but I'm not sure about the audience as I don't see anyone who likes writing like I do on the Portuguese side of the planet. Today I researched some tools for an idea that I had. I feel like I could focus on this one and make it a reality, but I need to find and understand the audience better.

I spent some time on YT today and I watched a top 10 NES games list... nostalgia hit hard but I accepted it as it was. Pure nostalgia from the good old days.

Off to exercise now. Gotta break the 2-day no exercise streak.

Awesome things:

• Vacuum cleaner
  • Life
  • YouTube (I know, and you know...)
  • The Sun

@Reno I have made it a goal to read one journal a day!  DING,DING,DING you are today's winner! lol :D

I too am interested in writing.  I have always thought at some point in my life I would sit down and do the writing I have always wanted to do.

I am very proud of you for making the efforts you have made in that direction :) 

Have you looked at this site? Smashwords 

I am seriously considering writing anything and putting it on there for free just to get myself started.

Ourlining

To outline or not to outline that is the question.  Sometimes I wonder which is the best way to go....  It seems as though I lose my story sometimes through the outline.  Maybe I'm just not outlining well enough....

Another way it seems for me to lose the thread of my story is using grammer checking in a word processor.  By the time I get done correcting all the grammer I have a different story than the one I started with.  I think I will turn off my spell checker next time I write so I'm not distracted from the flow of my thoughts related to the story then check the spelling afterwards.

@Reno Thank you for being supportive of me!  You recovery is my recovery.  We are not alone. :)