NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My quest to make friends

Kuris

I don't know if this thread will stick strictly to the theme outlined in the title, but I feel that the reason I was so fed up with playing video games in the first place, was because I felt so alone and disconnected from the world. So with that said, every single thing I have persuade, the goals, long and short term have all been motivated by the fact that I just want to feel a sense of connection to my fellow man. 

Before I dive any deeper I want to take the time to lay out my journey thus far so the people on this community get a better sense of who I am which will hopefully help you all resonate with my story a little better. If you haven't already read my introduction you can do so here as I'll be picking up where I left off from there. About 3 years ago, at the age of 21 I decided to give up gaming for good, I had tried in the past but this time I somewhat succeeded, but I didn't really see any of that success (if you could call it success) until about a year later. I uninstalled all the games from my computer and made it my goal to get out of the house more. in fact, although I had never heard of game quitters before I was watching a lot of self-helpish youtube channels at the time to try and feed myself with positive messages. I had this idea that the more positive information I could consume, the more I would be able to implement it into my life. I started watching youtubers like Eliot Hulse and consequently started lifting weights in my garage (I had worked out in the past but never with any consistency) I called up some of my old friends from high school and we decided to meet up, which ended up being just the three of us playing playstation all stars at my friends house. Sure we were playing video games,but it was a huge step for me away from playing games online in my bedroom all day. We started working out in my garage together which we did about twice a week. Things were looking up for the most part, but unfortunately one of my friends introduced me to anime which wasn't a problem at first but it eventually led me to spending hours in my room, which led me to playing video games again.

I ended up hooked again for a few months ( I didn't really keep count of much back then so my time line might be a little off) and after almost loosing touch with my friends again, and once again, spending most of my days in my room alone and depressed, it was once again time to stop playing video games. I started reading more, not just fiction, but books about life, it's ups and downs, how to stay the right track, etc. I started doing BJJ which I had done in the past but with never any consistency, I even went into tournaments and won a few as well, although I don't train at the moment, winning those plastic gold medals was one of the greatest things I had ever accomplished. I started studying Japanese, which led me down a path that ended in my moving to a new country! If you would have told me three years ago I would be living in a foreign country with the girl of my dreams I would have laughed. And although things haven't always been easy, I have managed to make it as far as I have. From that guy who lived only to explore the imagination of another man, to finally being able to create my own life. One that I can be proud of. But as I said before things haven't always been easy. And about a year ago today, after my falls back into gaming, on and off moments where I would spend entire weekends playing video games, I started looking around online and found Cam's youtube channel. And after that? Well, the rest is history.

So as you could probably tell it has taken me a while to finally making a post on the forum. But after falling back into bad habits, mainly spending hours a day watching youtube, I thought it was finally time to get amongst it. So here I am.

And just as a little side note, Thanks Cam, you have no idea how much your videos have helped me in the past, but really, Thanks dude you rock!

Bananaguitar.png

• Hitaru pinned this topic

Okay day 2 here we go!

So the other day (When I wrote my intro) I went out drinking for the first time in my life. And I would have to say alcohol is no where near as scary as I was lead to believe. Who knows maybe I'll end up an alcoholic. But anyway A Korean guy at work asked if I wanted to go drinking, and as you could probably imagine I was very reluctant to say yes,but in the end obviously did. I don't think I have ever laughed so much in my life. We drank talked shit and ate sashimi for 4 hours. He invited along one of his friends too who was Japanese so we had a pretty deep conversation about Japannese-Korean relations post WWII. This gave me a huge confidence boost in my Japanese ability because before this I had absolutely zero confidence to carry out a conversation with someone who wasn't my girlfriend.

Anyway I've been reading through a lot of other peoples journals and watched Cam's latest video about having a vision and decided my next goal would be to make one of my own and outline the steps I can take to pursue it. But honestly I still have no idea what I want to do, all I know is I don't want to spend the rest of my life cleaning hotel rooms. I'm thinking of starting with something simple like starting my own blog or a Youtube channel, just to give me something to work on in my spare time that has the potential of becoming something I can turn into a career. I have been thinking a lot about my future lately and what I would really like to do with my life. I remember when I was in primary school I would draw comics in my spare time so I was thinking of learning to draw. I haven't picked up a pencil in years so I would imagine I wouldn't be drawing any Mona Lisa's any time soon but I gotta start doing something sometime so this right now it better than doing something later. Anyway I hope to have a better format for this in the future sorry if it seems like a mess. That's all for today. So it's time to get out there and kick lifes ass!

It seems that you already have a very good "base" to live a better life. If you could quit once, than you can do it again. Looking forward for your success which will surely come! Keep going.

Cheers to a positive perspective aye.

• Guest unpinned this topic

Ok Kurisu -(san?)!

It is often times a great start to rediscover things you liked to do in your childhood. I would definitely explore this. Maybe draw comics about your daily life in a foreign land? Could be animated too and be shared on a webpage/blog. But I would advice you first to try to try very seriously learning to do the skill of drawing comics for around 2 weeks. This is most often time enough to get over the first hurdle of you realising you know nothing about the activity and start to see your progress. It is normal to suck in the beginning( everyone does). Again as in journalling consistency is important. Better spent every day an hour then 8 hours at your weekend. I think one reason for this is that you have more sleep circles to process what you learned. It is also easier to motivate you for such a daily goal.

Okay here we go Day 3!

I write these in the morning because it's when I have the most free time so anything I do write about will probably be from the day before. With that in mind I'm gonna start setting daily goals which are subject to change because I plan on doing so after I read/glance over "The slight edge" again. But for now I'm gonna keep things simple. My daily goals will be 1 hour of exercise, 30 minutes of reading, minimum 30minutes of Japanese study (I plan to do more on my days off), 1 hour of drawing (as suggested by WorkInProgress), and finally last but not least writing this journal and staying active on the forum. Yesterday I did the Japanese Study and the exercise but failed the reading and obviously wasn't even thinking of the drawing part yet. Today so far I have done the drawing and went for a walk to nearby park where I did some chin-ups and dips for a total of 20 minutes, I plan on getting in another 40 at the gym when I finish work this afternoon. As for the Japanese study and reading, well I plan on doing the study as soon as I've done writing this and I'll have to squeeze in the reading tonight sometime (I try to get to bed early so there is usually only time to eat dinner and do a few choirs around the house). I find I have a bad habbit of watching youtube/browsing the internet when I finish breakfast which takes about 45 minutes out of my day. From tomorrow onward I plan to break this habbit and have a book at hand for as soon as I finish eating breakfast.

Anyway that's all I can think of for today but I'll leave you all with today's attempt at drawing.

Practice1.jpg

Ok Kurisu -(san?)!

It is often times a great start to rediscover things you liked to do in your childhood. I would definitely explore this. Maybe draw comics about your daily life in a foreign land? Could be animated too and be shared on a webpage/blog. But I would advice you first to try to try very seriously learning to do the skill of drawing comics for around 2 weeks. This is most often time enough to get over the first hurdle of you realising you know nothing about the activity and start to see your progress. It is normal to suck in the beginning( everyone does). Again as in journalling consistency is important. Better spent every day an hour then 8 hours at your weekend. I think one reason for this is that you have more sleep circles to process what you learned. It is also easier to motivate you for such a daily goal.

Most people refer do me with -kun haha.

Thanks for the advice I already started acting on it this morning from some pretty basic tutorials online. I also like the idea for a comic, sounds like something I would defiantly be interested in pursuing (maybe in 2 weeks?). Who knows we'll see how quickly I can wrap my head around it.

Hi Chris, welcome to the community! 

There's so many more friends to be made outside of gaming, and it looks like your evening out has given you a great taste of it.

Best of luck with improving your social skills and getting on with life :)

Definitely a huge difference between hanging out in a virtual world, drinking virtual beer till your character on screen starts performing drunk people animations. I remember thinking "Why on earth would you go out with your friends IRL when you can do the same from the comfort of your own home!" lol. xDxD