NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Diurnal the journal

happykhan

Today was rough.this is day three of ninety.  I cut the cord on Halloween. Remember that day. I was angry and upset. I deleted everything. Like a firing squad. Each folder showed up. Bang. Deleted. I was the strongbad of the emails but they were games. They were all gone. I felt bad about it afterwards. Forgot about it for the most part. I was busy with work. 

Today was rough. I got home a little early From work. I wanted to play around with something. Just a few hours. Saying no makes the prospect more tantalising. My brain wants this. But I don't. I am not my brain. (where am I then? If not my brain -anyway). I stared at the walls longer than I should. I'm paralysed. My list of alternate activities isn't helping. I don't want to do any. except for sex with a supermodel I added jokingly at the bottom. I need another willing party for that. 

I run windows update. That should be a long enough distraction. need to think. Ah excellent. The update is stuck. troubleshooting this might take forever. A tedious task like should be off-putting enough to do something else. 30 minutes to sleep. I will read...  Something. 

• Hitaru pinned this topic

Thanks guys for warm weather wishes. 

Day 4. Shut the door. 

Tired. Tired tired. Tired tired tired.  Wanted to fiddle with vidya gaimes at work. Well joke is on me.  That's pretty much impossible even if I wanted to. Open plan office, etc etc. 

Watch the urge rise and fall. Remember in high school when studying for exams you really wanted to do some really boring stuff to procrastinate. And when the holidays did finally come you didn't remember or have any interest in all those things you wanted to do in exam block. It feels like that. 

Nothing went right today.  Made tacos for dinner. Cheaped out on the ingredients. The chicken mince filling was OK. The rest was not. Good tacos. Like.  Good. Tacos. Are hard. Here endth the lesson. 

Some fun vidya relates content came up on various internet feeds. Unsubscribe. Don't have time to do a full audit. Also worried that might lead to some binging. Best to just swat it away as it comes. 

A side goal emerges of boosting productivity. I reformat my machine. All saves I forgot the first pass are well and truly gone. I install things. Pomodoro was nice. Someone mentioned trello. Kanbans. I used it all a few years back. It helped a lot. Let's revisit these systems. 

• Guest unpinned this topic

day six. Chopsticks.  

Yeah. Did nothing. It was good. Woke up late. Cleaned the house a bit. Soaked in the tub reading. Hung out with the missus.

Sundays are great day to sink into gaming. Especially during the long dark tea time of the soul. it was good to just decompress.  

Sundays. 

I've been following along with HEADSPACE. It's pretty good.but I'm not sure if I'll subscribe with money. I don't like the guys voice. I work with a guy with that voice. It's weird. any alternative suggestions for 10 minute meditation would be grand. 

Cheers

day seven. Michael bevan. 

• work late.
  • Did the headspace.
  • Recalibrated the robot.   
  • Come home.
  • eat
  • sleep. 
  • Did the headspace. 

In the evening I Tinkered with a twitter bot I wrote a long time ago. It posts research articles that are relevant to my interests. I got it to work again. And added a cool feature where it ranks the paper on the  journals IF, how recent the article was published. 

The main thing for me this week is now that we are easing off the games and smokes. It's time to turn that around into productive. Hence why I was playing with a bunch of productivity apps that I used to use. 

I recommend. 

• Stayfocusd: A website blocker app from 9-5. 
  • RESCUE time. which tracks your online behaviour. 
  • Trello. It's the smoothest kanban implementation I've seen in a while. and automatically has mobile support (a lot of alternatives make you pay for the privilege)
  • Pomello . Pomodoro integration into trello. It's good stuff. 

Sticking to that will really push me in the right direction. I know cause I did this before for my dissertation and it was a huge help. If I can be firing on all cylinders like I was in those days.  ... Well damn.  Shit get done son. 

Anyway. Peace. 

pomodoro magic number. 56 . *

* number of pomodoro to complete this week. 

other suggestions for meaning ful simple goals welcome. 

IMG-20161107-WA0011.jpeg

Edited by happykhan

I am a fan of  coistentcy Goals. Something like do ehadspace every day next week. Seing this written down helps you to "remind" you to do it if you don't feel like it ;) 

The other Goals depend on what you want to achieve. Exercise is always a good idea ( because it helps in all other areas). Creating a good sleeping schedule or a morning routine would be the other classical examples of these all-around-Boosters.

I am a fan of  coistentcy Goals. Something like do ehadspace every day next week. Seing this written down helps you to "remind" you to do it if you don't feel like it ;) 

The other Goals depend on what you want to achieve. Exercise is always a good idea ( because it helps in all other areas). Creating a good sleeping schedule or a morning routine would be the other classical examples of these all-around-Boosters.

Yeah. Morning Routinee.That might be somethingto build into next week :D

I think headspace automatically asks you if you want to setup a daily alert for it. which is nice. any way, good point

are you into programming? sounds like you are. my friend was trying to convince me to start learning it. 

i've never tried headspace. but i used to meditate daily. i should get back into that again. trello sounds interesting too.

good luck in your endeavors!

are you into programming? sounds like you are. my friend was trying to convince me to start learning it. 

i've never tried headspace. but i used to meditate daily. i should get back into that again. trello sounds interesting too.

good luck in your endeavors!

ye. I code as part of my job. 

day eight. One fat lady. 

Started to build some momentum with time boxing. Haven't really thought about smoking as much as I thought I would. But the gaming urges are super insidious. A quiet whisper in my ear every now again. Maybe twice a day. 

I might have been gaming 15 - 20 hours a week. Usually I was preoccupied with work during the week or stuff to do during the weekends so I might have a week that I wouldn't play anything. But when I did have that down time it went into games or watching streams or stuffing around on the internet  or something like that. 

You can do a lot in 20 hours you know. 

And because I was functional it seemed like it was under control. 

But the fact I have these mental prompts about it, as if I miss it, tells me that dependency runs deep. 

Dead lines are looming. Better get the lead out the next few days. 

magic pomodoro count 7 / 56. 

day fourteen, drama queen

Really happy to have Mario @WorkInProgress as a partner in this process now. cheers man. We both seem to be in a similar place in our lives. 

Let's review. End of last week got sucked up into preparing this manuscript. Thanks to a prod from @Cam Adair. (How do i tag someone in a post). 

Well that's over the line now and the boss will take my first draft and start working on it, which is a good result and frees me up from that to concentrate on other things now.  I have to make some minor changes today but hoooory.

My phone died on Friday and I left my charger in the office , was off the grid on the weekend. But anyway. 

Let's review How we are going ?

Last weeks magic pomodoro count 17 / 56. 

That would be better. But it's a good effort for the first week. It's actually hard to switch to Timeboxing so. .. Yeah sure. Let's keep going. 

I will gradually add little Umm.... Daily quests?  Challenges?  Requirements?  

Simple 10-30 minute things, but I feel will really boost my Dev. hopefully work these in as a pomodoro. I.e. 1pomo of fitness, 1pomo of phone (only). Etc. 

Things to add to my list of requirements: 

• Better morning routine: Having a strong morning routine is a good way To kick start the day. 
  • cutting down phone time: Stuffing around on my phone is a nasty habit. Need to be focused when I do it. 
  • readings:I used to be a voracious reader. I miss that. 
  • side projects I have a number of creative side projects in my mind to work on. Mostly work related. Blogging. "building a personal brand" essentially. Career development. It's more fun than it sounds. 
  • harmonica. I have a harmonica in a drawer. I want to mess around with music a little bit, this seems a good gateway drug. (guitar is too cliqued)
  • fitness: A little bit of movement to keep the blood pumping. 

I will add these over the coming weeks. They represent things I actually want to do with the 10-20 hours I've hypothetically freed up from gaming. 

Other than the pomodoro goal. I think this week will focus on the morning routine. 

This weeks magic pomodoro count 0 / 56. 

Edited by happykhan