NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

The best possible version of myself

UndRt0w

I really like your minimalism idea.

Have you heard about the 100 things challenge? :)

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

I've heard about in but I still listened to the TED talk you posted.

I like the idea of the challenge. It's definitely something that inspired me as well. I think 100 things is very very hard. I'm not even going to try it. But I'm going to apply the principles for sure.

I really like the mentality behind it. Not just the material stuff, but also making your life more simple. This is why I'm really motivated to try and skip my dayjob. Some stuff just really bothers me and it has to do with having a boss. People over complicate stuff. I don't want to work for a big organisation anymore basically. I think it makes things hard because there are too many people with different ideas and agendas.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@UndRt0w Can you watch this? Minimalism

I have to register first and then it asks for my creditcard (bonxmedia.com). I'm not sure if it's legit and to be honest I'm also really hesitant to even do it when it's legit. I don't really like to use my credit card to get a free trial and then never use it again.

I think in most countries you can probably watch it without registration?

Looking back on 2016

I don't particularly like new year, but it's a good opportunity to have a look at a big period.

It was a pretty weird year. After last year (2015) I stopped working on my business and I actually lost all goals in life. I couldn't really find motivation to work out or be productive. I just wanted to play video games and watch Twitch. So I did.

After the first few months in 2016 I noticed I was unhappy. I thought life would be easier but it got harder because I didn't have anything to live for anymore. Ok that sounds a lot more dramatic than it was supposed to, but I had nothing I still wanted to achieve. I already had 'everything' and I wasn't happy. At that point I decided it was time to stop playing games and start a journey. This journey was finding out what I really liked. Passion is not a pre-existing thing, it's something you develop. So I started exploring.

Looking back I did a lot of stuff. I started playing my guitar again and bought myself a Fender American standard Stratocaster. I also started to take lessons. This year I also read the most books I ever did. I didn't finish all of them but I learned quite a lot. I also explored gamification, learning faster, and other interesting subjects. I also started meditating again and I did a lot of it. I think I meditated at least 150 days this year; which is pretty good in my book. Also I started to exercise again. I like cycling on Zwift. At the last few months of the year I decided I wanted to start a business. I'm not even close to starting it but I'm working on it. I'll probably start a blog in the next few weeks.

Maybe the most important choice I made in 2016 was buying a house. I'm not sure if I should've done that, but I also don't regret it. Now the house is almost ready and I'm planning to move this month. Buying a house and feeling very tired led me towards minimalism. I like the idea of simplifying my life and avoiding a lot of unnecessary decisions and negativity. The term 'minimalism' kinda bugs me. It seems like I'm trying to live with as less as possible. This is not the case. What I am doing is questioning what I have and what I need. Does it add value or does it add stress? Or does it simply don't add anything? The same goes for activities.

My goals for 2017

1. Living without goals

I think goals in the classic sense of the world actually stress me out. It's funny because I was really convinced when it came to goals. I even started a guide in this thread and I never finished it. I will probably never finish it.

This doesn't mean I don't have 'goals'. These goals are basically things I want, but there's no pressure, no need for perfection, hoping this will give me the inner calm I need.

Healthy

I want to be healthy. I think this is important. With proper health I can achieve more for myself AND for my environment!

Habits:

- Exercising

- Eating healthy --> plenty of fiber and a lot of different nutritious food.

- Lose weight until I weigh around 70 kg (+- 145 lbs)

Emotional/Social

I want to surround myself mostly with positive people AND family. I'm happy that I won't be living with my parents anymore. Too much drama, too much stress. I basically hide myself upstairs for most of the day. Nonetheless, family is important, I'm just happy I  don't need to escape anymore and just visit the a couple of times a week.

Habits:

- Invite my best friends over regularly

- Visit parents a couple of times a week

- Make some new friends/Be kind to strangers

Spritual

I'm not a religious person. This is more about finding my inner calm. I want to stop my racing mind and live more in the moment. Become more stable.

Habits:

- Meditate almost daily, become as good as possible at it

- Learn a bit about meditation, buddhism and philosophy.

- Journal and do reflections

- Be the best person I can be every day, be kind to my environment, live a good life (whatever that means, just make the decisions I think is the right one).

- Stop complaining, be grateful. Maybe I'll start a grateful journal

Mental/ Intellectual

- Read/Study daily

- Start my business and learn to do new things

- Be creative: Come up with 10 ideas every day (As James Altucher suggests)

Daily tasks in 2017 to start with:

- Exercise OR walk for at least 30 minutes every single day

- Nutrition: I'll start with making healthy food choices, avoiding junkfood and candy

- Being kind to strangers

- Meditation

- Journal: Plan next day, Reflect, Gratitude and idea's

- Be mindful and try not to complain.

- Ignore negative people and always try to stay positive, even when a negative person asks my opinion, just contradict them. Maybe they are offended, but these people are not the people I want/need in my life. So if I piss them off by being positive, that's just a positive side effect of being myself.

- Ready daily, talk to people about interesting things I've learned. Those who are interested are probably the best friends for me.

- Work on my business/blog

Daily journal template

DAY X

Checklist:

• Exercise/Walk
  • Nutrition choices
  • Kind to strangers
  • Meditation
  • Not complaining
  • Ignoring negative people
  • Reading studying

Gratitude

I'm grateful for (material need) because

I'm grateful for (social/event) because

I'm grateful for (ability) because

I'm grateful for (myself) because

Idea's (10 idea's ... good or bad doesn't matter)

I like you goals. I am also going through a re-evaluation of my life at this time of the year. Do you journal in private? How does that work for you?

Happy new year. This will be an interesting year for both of us.

Yes I have a journal that I write in but I often forget to do it. I also do a lot of journaling right here. Sometimes I use my journal as a planningtool, sometimes for reflections, sometimes to just write some stuff

When I wasted a day I often look at what I wrote the days before. It's really weird how I can be ultramotivates one day and then just spoil the next. I think it's interesting and I try to learn from it.

Are you going to journal on this forum about it? Because I actually want to read a couple of cool journals that motivate me.

DAY 1

Checklist:

• Exercise/Walk --> Worked 1 hour longer, didn4t exercise or walk> I decided to at least do something so I did 20 bodyweight squats and 10 push ups. Will also do some stretches before my meditation session
  • Nutrition choices --> First day after new year means an extended lunch break. I ate pizza. It had a social purpose, it was fine. Also ate some jelly on my sandwich earlier, this wasn't ideal. Nonetheless it was a pretty decent day if we're not counting the pizza. It was a good first step
  • Kind to strangers --> yes!
  • Meditation --> Will do this later in the evening with some stretches so I can learn to get in full lotus
  • Not complaining --> I was negative today at work. I caught myself complaining and also claiming I wasn't trying to be negative while I definitely was.
  • Ignoring negative people --> Made some strategic choices to avoid negative people
  • Reading studying --> Will do this right after finishing my daily journal

Gratitude

I'm grateful for the heather because I like the warmth inside in the winter.

I'm grateful for the guy on the train because I had to run to catch my train. This guy spots me breathing heavy and he said 'You made it!'. I laughed and told him I was happy about it because I already worked 1 hour more than usual

I'm grateful for my reflecting ability because I learn a ton from my daily experiences.

I'm grateful for myself because ... well this one is pretty hard I'm surprised ... I guess I live with good intentions. I'm grateful for being that way.

Idea's (10 idea's ... good or bad doesn't matter)

1. A special sort of desk that forces you off the pc after a set time. It basically hides the pc and you cannot access it. The desk has a special headset, you can only open it by scanning your brain. The headset can detect when you want to start your pc for entertainment of addiction purposes and it won't open.
  2. A small office that doesn't take a lot of space. It has a desk and a bed. It enourages you to nap. It has some way to detect fatigue, maybe it can track eye movement or the way you hit your keyboard. When it's time to nap it tells you. The mini office also encourages you to exercise. Every 2 hours you will be forced to elevate your heartrate to 50-70% f your max heart rate for at least 15 minutes. If you don't listen to your pc's warning signs it will shutdown after 30 minutes of warning you.
  3. A website that you can turn to when you're sick. It will ask you important questions and will determine if you need to go to a doctor or not. It can detect some serious illnesses that seem pretty trivial at first.
  4. An app that allows you to test your own heart. You ride a bike and use a heart monitor, the app instructs you what to do and monitors your heart. When something seems off it tells you and recommends the nearest/best doctors in your area.
  5. An app that tracks your heart rate a blood pressure and alarms you when you get stressed out. Maybe something like this already exists?
  6. A very high building made for cyclist. There's a built in mountain that you can climb  with you bike and the air is regulated so it simulates very high altitudes
  7. A chair that's computer controlled. You can scan yourself when you enter your workplace and the chair will adapt itself to perfect ergonomic measures within less than a minute.
  8. A desk that easy to change in height, but also has a storage space for keyboard and mouse. When you put the keyboard and mouse into the storage space it will automatically clean it or as least disinfect it so the next user can use it without thinking it's gross
  9. Some kind of scanner at work that can scan if you're sick, being stressed out,... it makes calculations and based on the calculations it will decide if you have to work or have to go home  and rest. When you're about to get sick or when you're close to burnout this scanner will detect it and will avoid you being ill for a longer period of time.
  10. A headset that can measure the db. You can program it to avoid hearing damage. It calculates db vs amount of time and it goes softer as soon as you're at risk.

I will write every week and talk about things I try out and how they work. I am experimenting right now with my handwritten Journal, Meditation, Kanbanflow/Productivity and intermittent fasting. So I will most likely write about them next Weekend :)

I am only on day two of my handwritten Journal but I think I'll just use it for free reflections. Just writing one DinA5 site every day without restrictions. I am trying to Keep things as simple as possible.

Hey Guys,

Last week I was sick again ... not as sick as before but I had a nasty cough which really drained a lot of my energy. Spent most of my days lying in bed watching my iPad after work (twitch .. ).

Anyways, still sick but feeling significantly better. Have some new stuff I want to do:

- Stop biting my nails

- Eat healthier

- Move more, not just exercising. I will try to go for a short walk every lunch break at work. It doesn't have to be very far.

Healthy

I want to be healthy. I think this is important. With proper health I can achieve more for myself AND for my environment!

Habits:

- Exercising

Hey, I won't say much because people find things I use to tell about health and nutrition controversial. Google about LCHF. I'm eating like this for months and I don't even remember last time I got sick :) The most important things to do when it comes to nutrition are:

• don't eat fast foods
  • don't drink soda and juices (juices are not healthy, really) - replace it with water
  • don't eat sweets

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

• 3 weeks later...

Healthy

Habits:

- Exercising

Hey, I won't say much because people find things I use to tell about health and nutrition controversial. Google about LCHF. I'm eating like this for months and I don't even remember last time I got sick :) The most important things to do when it comes to nutrition are:

• don't eat fast foods
  • don't drink soda and juices (juices are not healthy, really) - replace it with water
  • don't eat sweets

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Hey man,

Thanks for the comment. I'm pretty aware when it comes to nutrition. I don't really believe that LCHF is some kind of magic trick, but what it does, is force you to make smart choices about your food. So yes I believe it works and I don't hate on it even though it's a bit controversial. 

When I was in bodybuilding I really valued the fats in my diet. They are essential for sure.

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate the advice

It's been 2 weeks

Hey guys, still remember me ? xD

A lot has happened in the last few weeks. I'm writing to you from my new house! I'm living here for 4-5 days and a lot of stuff has happened already.

- I went doing groceries by myself, (never did that before)
- I just cleaned my bathroom (never did that before)

- I cleaned almost everything (didn't ever do that before)

- I'm doing the laundry right now (did that before .. once)

- I flooded my bathroom yesterday ... whoops :$

- I accidentally electrocuted myself, it was a shocking experience. Never did that before and not planning on doing it again O.o

So far for the good news

Yes that's about it when it's about the good news. Atm I'm not doing most of my habits consistently and I also relapsed when it comes to gaming. It's a big relapse to be honest. I don't want to quit this time.

I do realize I probably should quit but I'm having so much fun.  Being alone in my house it's probably my only non-productive pass-time (I don't own a television by choice). 

Being the best possible version of myself

At the moment I feel this is the best possible version. I'm doing all these new things so when it's late at night I don't really want to necessarily be productive anymore. This week I did try to limit my gaming/youtube/twitch. I've set a goal to limit it to 20 hours. I'm not really doing a great job. I'm 3,5 days in and I already spent 10 hours. It's not even the weekend yet (even though I didn't go to work this week so I guess it's kinda weekend).

By limiting my pc time I automatically started reading and playing the guitar again, so that's nice. I also lost some weight even though I didn't ride my bike for weeks. I'm planning on resuming it tomorrow!

But my #1 priority is

Waking up early and going to sleep early. There's literally no excuse to not wake up early anymore. I live alone now, I can do whatever I want at any point in the day! My first target is waking up at 7 am consistently. From there I will take it to 6am and possibly 5am. The only reason why I don't like 5 am is because every 2 weeks I have to work until 7pm. So when I come home, eat, shower and relax slightly it's already  9pm and bedtime. I might go for 5am when working early and 6am when working late. Even though I believe that's not really that healthy for my body.

Actually I was about to play overwatch. I'll investigate some sleep stuff instead. It sounds interesting. If I don't play any video games today I've spent less than 2 hours on gaming/twitch the last 2 days (which would be great!)

So that's it. See you guys tomorrow.

Moving and healthy eating is one of the best way to improve your health. Do you have any clue on what you gonna change in your diet? 

Since I moved now I did my own groceries. Things I bought:

- Spaghetti/Rice

- Turkish bread

- Lean beef

- Chicken 

- Cheese (hmmmmm cheese)

- Green Olives

- Green peppers

- Kidney beans

- Banana/ Apple / Oranges

- Berries (eating this right now)

- Milk

- Eggs

- Light lemonade

- Arizona (I sometimes drink a cup, it's my 'candy')

So overall this is pretty healthy. It's not really that diverse yet, but I'm figuring this cooking stuff out so I'm keeping it simple right now.

Hey man living in your won place can need some tiem to adjust too. But imho it is also an important step if you want to call yourself adult. As I moved out of my parents place I Kind of started real life.

In regards to cooking: Most things are tasty if you grill them in the pan and use some pepper and salt on them. Easy sauces are creamsauces. For example put some onions, mushrooms and chicken and a Little oil in a hot pan. Put some pepper and salt on them. Wait until all is a little Brown. Then put some cream in it and wait until it gets viscous.

Tada: your delicious Sauce is ready . You can eat it to Rice/Pasta etc.

Waking up early and going to sleep early. There's literally no excuse to not wake up early anymore. I live alone now, I can do whatever I want at any point in the day! My first target is waking up at 7 am consistently. From there I will take it to 6am and possibly 5am. The only reason why I don't like 5 am is because every 2 weeks I have to work until 7pm. So when I come home, eat, shower and relax slightly it's already  9pm and bedtime. I might go for 5am when working early and 6am when working late. Even though I believe that's not really that healthy for my body.

THats my life msot of the time. but I don't know I kidn of liek to have my private time before work. Because then I am energetic and can sue my tiem properly. After work I do't do stuff anyway. One Thing I discovered lately is to drink 3 glasses of water over an hour of time in the morning. It makes me awake much faster. In the sleeping Phase you naturaly dehydrate so it makes sense that it works.

THats my life msot of the time. but I don't know I kidn of liek to have my private time before work. Because then I am energetic and can sue my tiem properly. After work I do't do stuff anyway. One Thing I discovered lately is to drink 3 glasses of water over an hour of time in the morning. It makes me awake much faster. In the sleeping Phase you naturaly dehydrate so it makes sense that it works.

That does make sense. I'm trying it.