NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Paul's NEW Journal

Paul A.

Hehehe.... I'm back... :/

So it's been a few months now, and I've been gaming as usual, and I've been feeling unfulfilled, as usual. It seemed that no matter what I tried or what I thought I realized, nothing could fill the void in my soul. Then last night, I realized the root of all my problems: television. Before I even considered quitting games, television was there. When I first decided to quit games, guess what I fell back on: television. You can ask Cam, he knows from reading my comments on his "How to Quit Playing Video Games FOREVER article." Every attempt I've made thus far to improve myself was hindered by television. How, you may ask? Well, there is one thing about TV that I have realized. I have realized that: TV DRAINS YOUR ENERGY AND MOTIVATION. For example, I've been home sick the past few days, and you can guess what I've been doing these past few days. I've spend a majority of every day laying on the couch in front of the TV, not willing to do my schoolwork that has accumulated because of my extended absence, which is quite a bit if you are in all four of the Gifted and Talented courses in high school. As well, an activity I have tried many times to pursue, writing, has never taken root because I consider it boring in comparison to watching TV, which provides instant gratification. So, I've decided to cut back significantly on my TV time (I can't eliminate it completely because I have gotten caught up in some shows) as well as try, yet AGAIN, to quit games. It's been a rough couple of months, but I have hope. I don't think I will be writing every day, but I'll certainly try. It's good to be back.... I guess... :/

Edited by Paul A.

Ok so... My first day TV free (game free not so much) was pretty boring. That was because I spent most of the day doing some homework (the joys of being a high schooler :| ). I feel like the TV being off most of the day definitely helped my focus, but I'm still distracted rather easily. Hopefully it'll get better as time progresses.

So I got up at around 10AM, as expected on a Saturday morning. But, rather than go straight to the TV room like I would usually do, I went straight to the office after I brushed my teeth and changed to get started on my homework. I actually did spend a good portion of my time IN the TV room but with the TV OFF, I just sat in the TV room because it has the couches. I was distracted somewhat by what my brothers were doing, but I still got a good amount of work done. I stepped outside a few times for some air and I saw several birds flying from tree to tree, like they had gathered and were playing a game, it was quite a sight and I stood and enjoyed it for a while. 

While i said that today was TV free, it wasn't exactly game free, and that was because I kept Words with Friends on my phone, but I uninstalled it after realized it was distracting me from my work. Overall I think today was a pretty good day, although kind of boring. But once I finish my work I'm sure the days will be more exciting, especially with track and field tryouts coming up. Until tomorrow, everyone

Edited by Paul A.

Welcome back Paul! Great to see you journaling again.

We go through ups and downs, but the best thing is that you recognized that something wasn't right, found out what it was, and are now taking action to make your life better. You're doing what you know is best for you, despite it being harder to start off with. If you feel embarrassed or sorry for yourself that you've returned to the community or that you're having difficulty, don't worry, we're here to help.

I'm really glad to see you back here, just tag me in a post if you'd like some help with something.

Best of luck going without video games and TV!

Welcome back Paul! Great to see you journaling again.

We go through ups and downs, but the best thing is that you recognized that something wasn't right, found out what it was, and are now taking action to make your life better. You're doing what you know is best for you, despite it being harder to start off with. If you feel embarrassed or sorry for yourself that you've returned to the community or that you're having difficulty, don't worry, we're here to help.

I'm really glad to see you back here, just tag me in a post if you'd like some help with something.

Best of luck going without video games and TV!

Thanks @AlexTheGrape :) 

Hi again. I was thinking it might be a good idea to continue your old journal if you wish to be able to look at what you've done in the past. I kept my journal running through both relapses I had, and having the record of what happened in my past relapses helped me to prevent it happening again, and helping me to deter cravings (by seeing the phases I went through). It'd also let yourself and others see what types of things you did in the past for reference. This was just a thought of mine, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Hi again. I was thinking it might be a good idea to continue your old journal if you wish to be able to look at what you've done in the past. I kept my journal running through both relapses I had, and having the record of what happened in my past relapses helped me to prevent it happening again, and helping me to deter cravings (by seeing the phases I went through). It'd also let yourself and others see what types of things you did in the past for reference. This was just a thought of mine, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

That's a good point... I think I can do that. Thanks for the advice