NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Neat's journal. An end of an era.

Neat

Hello everybody!

I am a massive video game addict and procrastinator. I am 25,unemployed, and I would like to restart my life and carrier.

I tried to go on this journey alone before. It never worked for long. This day, I don't start alone. I will share my feelings and successes with you all.
I hope others will get some value from this journal. I will write down what does work for me and what does not.

Interesting fact for day 0: It is well studied, that alcoholics have much higher success rates with joining support groups like AA. Humans are social animals, with a basic need to belong. With this support group, we all find our community to belong to.

Best Wishes

Neat!

( English is my second language, sorry for the future mistakes.)

• Guest pinned this topic

Thank you all!

Day 0 is pretty bad, I can't say I did a lot of productive things. However, despite the cravings, I did not play. I watched a lot of YouTube and browsed the net a lot.

From tomorrow, I will minimize watching Youtube too. 

welcome! I also started a few days ago, let's make it a challenge to beat each other. Who will be game-free the longest? ;-)

I accept the challenge! I believe it will be a lot of fun!

Tomorrow, I will make a post of the things I did on day 1.

Cheers!

Welcome! I am new too and let's work together!! (English is my second language too and I am still feeling uncomfortable when I have to use English in my new international school haha)

Hi there!

I am glad you wrote me. Newbies should stick together :)

Day 1

This forum does help. I started the day with mindless YouTube for 1 hour. Then I realized, this is not the way for the better life. I visited the forum, read some success and failure stories. Then I had a productive day. I cleaned the house, set up a productivity system based on the kanban method and worked on my project. Kanban is way better then the depressing to-do list. I recommend it to others too. 

In the afternoon, i was in flow while working on my project. I had a call, got distracted, and the YouTube spiral started again. I am here again, making this post before getting back to work in the evening.

Tip for day 1: Productivity for me,  looks like a sine productivity function. If you read other people's journals, you realize then both have fantastic productive days and low energy( sorry Jeb Bush) days. Up and downs. if you catch yourself in the downhill, just read some of other peoples success stories or struggles. 

I feel a lot better. Can't wait for tomorrow, I think it will be even better then today. :)

Wow seems that kanban is a great system to follow! I usually failed to implement any productivity system due to my lack of willpower. 

For the youtube thing, I recently unsubscribed all the YouTuber posting videos about games and minor stuff like food and makeup. Then I started to forget them and never watch their clips again. My time with mindless youtube also decreased. I recommend you to do so if you still haven't done that.

Keep up the good work!

• Guest unpinned this topic

Neat, the kanban system comes from agile project management. right? Did you make a physical kanban board or do you use an online tool?

I also really believe we are somewhat on the same page if I read your journal. The same things that trigger and motivate me seem to be the things that work for you too. Such as: productivity, reading others journals, having the ups and downs....

So if the kanban system works for you, it might just be the tool for me too!

Day 2

I have to be honest, I really don't have cravings for games yet, I have cravings for procrastination( YouTube/browsing the net). The day 2 went fine, without anything spectacular. I went out last night to socialize.  I unsubscribed from my gaming channels as Kiki suggested.

Neat, the kanban system comes from agile project management. right? Did you make a physical kanban board or do you use an online tool?

I also really believe we are somewhat on the same page if I read your journal. The same things that trigger and motivate me seem to be the things that work for you too. Such as: productivity, reading others journals, having the ups and downs....

So if the kanban system works for you, it might just be the tool for me too!

I will use Kanban for a week to decide whether is works or not. Then I will definitely write a review on it. (I made a psychical one, to answer your question.)

You all take care!

Thanks neat! I have the exact same issue and I installed a website blocker to ban those distracting website. It helps to reduce my web cravings by 80% although I do cheat from time to time a bit in incognito mode. (I am using that mode for something else than before... haha)

7 days post:

Hello everybody. 7 days without gaming! Wohoo! :D

In the last few days, I have mixed results for productivity. I went out to socialize, got a date with a nice girl for this week. Dating is pretty important. The bad news, I watched a lot of YouTube(some gaming videos too) and did not follow through my projects. I did not visit this forum for almost 5 days, and it is not the way of recovering.

Conclusion for myself and others: Check in to the forum every day, even if you don't write your journal. You need this for the first 90 days at least. Otherwise your progress will collapse quickly.

Take Care

See you for the next time.

Edited by Neat

Day 8.

Pretty good day. I started the day with Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror song.

I have an idea of a big project. I will start my own business! I have a pretty good idea, and next week, I can pitch it to the HR representatives at a university job fair(they are the target). At the same time, I will make my plan to apply 5 jobs at least every day. I will see how it goes.

Take Care Y'all

Watching YouTube is a problem of mine too:/its a method I used to procrastinate 

I agree that visiting the forum everyday is very important! We can see each other's progress so as to encourage ourselves to make progress. I also make it a rule to write journal everyday no matter how sleepy I am at the time as I won't be able to keep this habit once I stopO.o

Great work planning on your job! Keep it up!

Welcome to the forums, I have just stumbled upon your Journal.

During my first week I had to talk myself to do a Journal because I didn't expected it to be so important. The Journal was in fact the most important thing during my detox because in the end you don't write here for the others but mostly for yourself, so you can track your own feelings and thoughts and sort them out. Just keep in mind that this is still a public place, since we're here in the internet after all.

Anyway, you have great improvements for a week and I hope you keep it up!

Reading other Journals is a great start and replacement for gaming in the beginning ;)

Day 8.

Pretty good day. I started the day with Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror song.

I have an idea of a big project. I will start my own business! I have a pretty good idea, and next week, I can pitch it to the HR representatives at a university job fair(they are the target). At the same time, I will make my plan to apply 5 jobs at least every day. I will see how it goes.

Take Care Y'all

Awesome Neat! After 4 failed businesses (due to my gaming addiction) I am about to launch my next company too! I see you didn't update your journal in a while too, how are you doing? Let us know so we can celebrate or help you depending on the progress.

Day 8.

Take Care Y'all

Go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I relapsed. I played in the last 2-3 weeks. It is very disappointing since I was doing really great. It all started with a seemingly innocent decision.

First, I was invited to play with a friend Magic the Gathering. Since I barely play it, I thought it is gonna be OK. Well, the next day, I felt a great urge to play again, so I downloaded the PC version of it, just for fun. That was the second mistake. I quickly got bored with it, and went back to my hard core strategy games... I reinstalled Europa Universalis, and some RPG-s.

I was in overconfident after the initial success. That is why I dared to download the game first.

The thing is I only enjoyed them 10% of the time. But I kept playing with them hoping for some flow. But i could not get it anymore.

I have to restart my detox, with the minor success of 17 days. 

I don't feel depressed however. I am just glad I can start it over. It was a good experience for me to realize that I don't enjoy them anymore as I used to be. It seems useless and fake. 

On the other hand, I feel ashamed that I could not keep up with the people here. I will make sure it won't happen again.

Should I start a fresh journal or continue from here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Neat

Edited by Neat