NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

what to do during eating

Yellow

So this may be a strange issue, but I have no idea what to do during eating.

I live alone and I used to eat in front of my computer, quickly eating while gaming or visiting distracting websites.

Now I am not gaming and visiting those websites anymore, I am just eating staring in the blank. What do you do during eating? Or does anyone have some advice for this?

Thanks! That's a good idea. It will help me with some days of the week and I enjoy cooking (I hope you meant cooking in ur post, haha) a lot.

The problem will still exist with breakfast and lunch, and the day's where I am alone anyways. Today I tried eating while following an online video course and I was able to concentrate on the lectures while at the same time eating 'normally'. (not to fast, chewing everything etc)

That's an interesting question actually. It has to do with the concept of hiperestimulation: You're so used to be distracted and entertained all the time that now even the most basic action of eating feels boring. Right?

From my experience I always had trouble eating, I'm underweight and my eating habits usually consisted in quickly eat up the bare minimum and rush back to gaming. I'm also a naturally light eater, so I get sated really fast. Just two or three forkfuls feel enough, so the rest of the meal feels a bit like taking medicine. Necessary but uncomfortable. 

What I usually do is eat as fast as I can to get over with it, usually while standing. If I sit down to eat while watching TV it's almost sure I'm going to procrastinate in some way. But this is not healthy either. How long does it take for you to finish a meal on average?

Edited by Hitaru

Thanks for your thoughts! You are 100% correct.

About your question, I have no idea what my eating habits are besides that I used to eat while gaming. I also can't remember how long it takes me to eat. I will see what happens tomorrow and report back how long it took, what happened etc.

• 4 months later...

Presence, as Cam advised, will make you enjoy your meal a lot more. Put effort into your meals and you will want to enjoy them more, too. It's easy to want to be distracted when you've just microwaved some crappy convenient meal in a box.

If you must do something while eating, put on some music or read something worth reading instead of browsing silly websites. :)

• 3 months later...

That's a great topic. I felt the same. What helped me to overcome boredom was eating, while squatting, sitting cross-legged or just generally sitting on the floor with plate in your one hand and fork/spoon in other hand (that's very weird for other people who watch you for sure, but as you said you live alone so... :)) of course you have to prepare your meals in that matter to not use knife (make small chunks of meat before eating for example). It shifts your mind towards this strange, but pleasant feeling.

You can also just eat in front of the window to watch kids playing in playground for example, that would be easy "progression" towards "just" eating. (I try that on shiny days sometimes :))

Greetings Chris

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm a tad late commenting on this but I find this really interesting having come from a background (and still somewhat in the midst of) food issues. For me it really helps to consider mealtimes as a sort of meditation. Being fully present in the moment without distraction, as Cam mentioned. See the food, notice the differences in colour, texture, how does it smell? When you eat, chew and really taste each mouthful, how does it feel in your mouth? - I find this especially profound when eating fruits or vegetables, unprocessed stuff, cos I really think about the wonder in it, how an apple grows naturally and tastes so damn good... and with processed stuff, it reminds me how full of chemicals and rubbish it is (even tho i still enjoy it more that I care to admit). Also, it can be nice to consider where your food came from, who grew it? How far has it travelled? How many people worked hard for you to eat it? 

I find that all these things really help to fill up my mind while I'm eating and make mealtimes much more stimulating. 

And eating something home cooked? That's even better :) 

• 4 weeks later...

I like to read while eating. If I'm in the middle of a good book I'd rather read that than peruse Facebook on my phone. I'll write too on occasion but then I sometimes get pizza sauce or ketchup on my notebook.

I have no problem going to a restaurant by myself to sit outside on a nice day and enjoy a nice meal with my book. It's also easy to put down if I do end up talking to someone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8.10.2016 at 7:08 PM, Hitaru said:

That's an interesting question actually. It has to do with the concept of hiperestimulation: You're so used to be distracted and entertained all the time that now even the most basic action of eating feels boring. Right?

From my experience I always had trouble eating, I'm underweight and my eating habits usually consisted in quickly eat up the bare minimum and rush back to gaming. I'm also a naturally light eater, so I get sated really fast. Just two or three forkfuls feel enough, so the rest of the meal feels a bit like taking medicine. Necessary but uncomfortable. 

What I usually do is eat as fast as I can to get over with it, usually while standing. If I sit down to eat while watching TV it's almost sure I'm going to procrastinate in some way. But this is not healthy either. How long does it take for you to finish a meal on average?

I notice that as well

I am also eating while watching the ingredients list or something else that keeps me distracted.

Most of the time when I am distracted I eat junk food and dont even notice it.

• Like 1