NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Finding your Passion

Ashley K.

What happens if you find something you think your passionate about, i.e., engineering, but you end up not doing it every single day to become happy and successful, Does that mean you're not really driven to do it because it's your passion and should you try and find out what truly drives you every day to succeed?

• 2 weeks later...

A passion is not something you have. It's something you develop by doing, having fun and wanting to do it even more. 

Passion has become this almost romantic word where people believe they will find something and they will do it  automatically, they'll enjoy it, they'll be good at it, they'll find great succes. It doesn't work like that.

You see something that might be interesting, you do it, you do it more, you develop a passion over time. You still need to put in the work. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, but it is very fulfilling.

I believe the word 'passion' is very overused and hyped. It has become a marketing term rather than something useful. However, the above post from UndRt0w is much more valuable than what is widely believe to be called 'passion'.

You're pretty smart for someone from the Netherlands ...

(I'm from Belgium :-D had to make this comment)

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't necessarily say one is not driven or passionate just because he/she procrastinates... That is more often than not a matter of discipline. With discipline you can even do something you hate for the rest of your life. Without discipline, one can have really grand visions but never get out of the bed to start the first step. So yeah.

I wouldn't necessarily say one is not driven or passionate just because he/she procrastinates... That is more often than not a matter of discipline. With discipline you can even do something you hate for the rest of your life. Without discipline, one can have really grand visions but never get out of the bed to start the first step. So yeah.

So true, discipline has been an issue for me for a long time

It is somewhat funny that the word "passion" comes from the latin word "passio", which means "suffering, sickness", if I am not entirely wrong here. In german, the word is "Leidenschaft", which involves "Leiden", which translates to "suffering".

I totally agree that the word "passion" is being entirely overused and somehow abused as well. Because, it seems the "inventor" of this word had something else in mind than a day at the local petting zoo. It seems to be meant like, if you are really into something, you will take it very serious. If you take something very serious, you might generate some sort of perfectionism about this passion of yours. You will put effort into it, although you often suffer from doing it. It is like love (sorry for being kinda philosophical now), which hurts very often, but you still can't stop devoting yourself to it. I guess that is why the word "passion" is often used in combination with "love" and such.

On another note, my profile pic is part of a wallpaper of the documentary "Burden of dreams". The title alone implicates that dreams are not always awesome and when you have them, you become super strong and super focused or such. Sometimes, dreams are a burden, because you feel the need to make them come true, which leads to obstacles, setbacks, pain, exhaustion, anxiety and whatnot.

To me it seems, that when there is something great that one wants to achieve, there will be a great amount of suffering as well.

Sorry if that post went a little to far into the distance ...

Edited by Robert Arctor

It is somewhat funny that the word "passion" comes from the latin word "passio", which means "suffering, sickness", if I am not entirely wrong here. In german, the word is "Leidenschaft", which involves "Leiden", which translates to "suffering".

I totally agree that the word "passion" is being entirely overused and somehow abused as well. Because, it seems the "inventor" of this word had something else in mind than a day at the local petting zoo. It seems to be meant like, if you are really into something, you will take it very serious. If you take something very serious, you might generate some sort of perfectionism about this passion of yours. You will put effort into it, although you often suffer from doing it. It is like love (sorry for being kinda philosophical now), which hurts very often, but you still can't stop devoting yourself to it. I guess that is why the word "passion" is often used in combination with "love" and such.

On another note, my profile pic is part of a wallpaper of the documentary "Burden of dreams". The title alone implicates that dreams are not always awesome and when you have them, you become super strong and super focused or such. Sometimes, dreams are a burden, because you feel the need to make them come true, which leads to obstacles, setbacks, pain, exhaustion, anxiety and whatnot.

To me it seems, that when there is something great that one wants to achieve, there will be a great amount of suffering as well.

Sorry if that post went a little to far into the distance ...

You make a good point... it's perfectly fine to be philosophical, personally when I'm philosophical it makes me feel smart xD 

Edited by Paul A.

• 2 weeks later...

What happens if you find something you think your passionate about, i.e., engineering, but you end up not doing it every single day to become happy and successful, Does that mean you're not really driven to do it because it's your passion and should you try and find out what truly drives you every day to succeed?

Fuck no. FUCK NO. My professors procrastinate (which is what you're describing, simply), and did so as undergrads.

I'm a physics major. I love physics. There's not one goddamn person in any of my classes who does it every day in a way where they're jumping for joy on the way to campus. It's hard work for anyone. Also, everyone I know procrastinates, except for one of them, who gets insanely high grades on everything. But he lives in that building. Well, in a sense I do too, but I am also socializing a lot and doing lab work. We all live in this state of somewhat heightened stress and competitiveness, but that's also what gives you pride.

Get used to coffee. You'll need a lot.

And, it's a labor of love. You'll start to feel this sense of deeper satisfaction creeping in when you're doing something that is hard AND fulfilling. You'll know it's right when you're in class and, for some strange reason, you feel like you're supposed to be there, and the thought of not being there (or being in some other field) creates this sense of existential anxiety and panic, like you're standing on the precipice of nothingness if you were to stop pursuing it.

At least, that's what it's like for me. So, if you want to be an engineer, go for it. Don't get Imposter Syndrome (look that up).

Edited by Alkan