NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

To facebook or not to facebook?

addict10n

• 2 weeks later...

I am using facebook not for the social interaction but to get updates about companies, news and educational stuff. Besides that I am also using facebook as a marketing tool rather than a social media tool. I curate what is going to be on my page for personal branding.

I am using facebook not for the social interaction but to get updates about companies, news and educational stuff. Besides that I am also using facebook as a marketing tool rather than a social media tool. I curate what is going to be on my page for personal branding.

In my opinion, I think you will be fine to use Facebook then!

I have disenabled my Facebook account for 4 months and it felt great. I felt happier and less stresed as well as  not using my phone as much and spending my time in a more productive way;however, I activated it again at the begining of the school year to keep conection with my class and have an easy way to send information related to our lessons. Looking at the situation now I think that keeping Facebook  only as a tool not as social media is a good idea but i would not like to treat it as the latter anymore. 

Edited by Michał

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on your situation. I am in school right now and having Facebook really helps me with my schoolwork and maintaining friendships and connections online. But yes, spending excessive time on facebook is not only counterproductive, it's also linked to increased loneliness and depression as studies suggest. I would probably stay the way you are if you are not in school.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes I use facebook as a way to brand myself and introduce myself to people that I've just met. 

But I could totally see browsing too much facebook as becoming a procrastination problem. 

I caught myself stalking on classmates - so I deleted that shit years ago. What a waste of time. It felt like a placeholder.

I will rejoin, when there are more dead people on Facebook than living. I'll also propose that dead people have to update their pics.

Brutal!!

Edited by destoroyah
  • Like 1

I caught myself stalking on classmates - so I deleted that shit years ago. What a waste of time. It felt like a placeholder.

I will rejoin, when there are more dead people on Facebook than living. I'll also propose that dead people have to update their pics.

Brutal!!

You just need to live a long life and then join facebook when you are 90

Facebook is rubbish. I don't have it and I'm grateful for that :)

I don't understand when someone has a problem with calling me via phone and has problem to communicate with me via "messenger". I was called weirdo dozens of times because I don't have facebook, but this way I got selected group of friends, which don't care about that.

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do not particularly enjoy Facebook to be honest, however it has become a tool of collaboration with regard to university, networking (internships, job hunting) as well as to stay in contact with some former friends of mine. 80% of the posts one sees is either narcissism at its finest or pointless. I recently read about a study in a newspaper which claimed that constant exposure to the "highlight reel" of others as well inevitably comparing yourself to others can fuel depression and anxiety.

Personally, I limit its use as I prefer the old-school face to face conversation or mail/Skype to stay in contact with close friends. Keep it simple, keep it real^^

• 1 month later...

Facebook is designed to keep your attention. It can be a useful tool. But your feed is bound to distract you by design. Somewhere Noah Kagan (old facebook employee if I remember correctly) suggested this: The news feed eradicator: http://news-feed-eradicator.west.io/

This helps me keep my social media use in check - I only use it to contact (mostly international) friends, and get distracted a whole lot less by it.

After my first week without games, I started limiting Facebook use to weekends only. Reducing this compulsive screen time is helping my cravings subside somewhat. I'm on day 21 of the 90 day detox. Another I just started doing is only journaling on the forum every other day. I'm going to try to space out my entries more in the future.

• 6 months later...

Facebook has also shown to have a negative effect on the self-confidence of people. This is due to people mostly posting the positive (perfect) pictures, thus giving a wrong view of reality, making other people feel like their life sucks. Also, the whole thumb up system is a dangerous one because it gives a sense of measurement about someone's pictures/actions etc.

Its probably best to ask ourselves personally whether we can handle all this

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I am trying to quit or to manage my facebook use. I wish I could just quit like that but I have a hard time to. For me it is easier to quit gaming. So yeah, addictive. 

But people do not write to me at fb much any more, just like I do share stuff and follow topics. They write on instagram.

Edited by 4L1N4