NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Video Vs Board Games: One in the Same?

Octsober

Hey Guys!

I'm curious to get some thoughts on this. Now I'm technically a (board) game designer (I prefer to tell folks I'm a creative because it's not just board games I do!), so I use my game for example as a catalyst to tell my story. I like to keep the mechanics simple and fun but, really have the artwork sing. The difference between video games and board games is there's only so long people can sit and play for before doing something else. It's significantly more social then say playing games online with friends. However TCG's like Magic the gathering can have a strong pull in many regards, but still I feel even so this doesn't get as bad as gaming at home.

I can go into a bit more detail buuuut I'm more interested in knowing what you guys think!

Hey Oct

For me board games are never as addicting as video games. Just the fact that you need to take your time to put up the board and all the figures, read the manuals and everything...

I already tried to replace video gaming with board gaming but I failed miserably :D

I think board games are fine. And, in my case, I'm using them as a partial replacement for video games. The social aspect is a major plus. They aren't addictive because you can't make a board game play on the human mind in the way that video games can be designed to be addictive. At least, I don't think so. For me, board games are a healthy way to game :).

Uh... disregard the below images. Forum bug? I used these in another thread and somehow they popped in here. I delete them but they're stuck in the post anyway O_o

Edited by Cam Adair

Board games are cool in my book.?

Lots of great responses here.

From both cordharel and kortheo I'd have to agree that board games aren't as addicting as video games given the way, while playing board games you actually need to be in a social setting and can only be said setting for so long VS playing video games in the comfort of your own home. Personally I'd be as bold to say that even playing social Couch-Coop video games may have the same effect. As long as you're out in person there's a timeline placed on said event, rather than getting stuck in the "one more game" loop.

Many Nintendo games do this - I really don't find mario party appealing after one game haha. But playing devils advocate, I'd say these games may plant the seed for stronger cravings on games we've enjoyed in the past.

Octsober - I agree that in theory couch-coop video games are probably fine. I imagine an argument might be able to be made for arcade games as well. You don't ever hear about people having Mario Party addictions (at least I haven't!). As you note though, in practice, what are the chances you're going to be able to stick to ONLY playing those games? I guess everyone can judge for themselves, but I know for me that playing any video games are probably going to miss my old favorites. So I think I will personally stay clear. It's an individual choice though.

Octsober - I agree that in theory couch-coop video games are probably fine. I imagine an argument might be able to be made for arcade games as well. You don't ever hear about people having Mario Party addictions (at least I haven't!). As you note though, in practice, what are the chances you're going to be able to stick to ONLY playing those games? I guess everyone can judge for themselves, but I know for me that playing any video games are probably going to miss my old favorites. So I think I will personally stay clear. It's an individual choice though.

?

I noticed you said - ONLY playing these games. I don't really even consider couch coop something I put on my radar consistently, its more like that particular groups hanging out and they want to play something. However I totally agree that playing these games can bring up old feelings for other games, hence it's not ideal. I wouldn't hold it against a fellow quitter if they were playing socially.

It's the games we play alone or in the comfort of our own homes that cause us to stagnate, so I feel.

?

I noticed you said - ONLY playing these games. I don't really even consider couch coop something I put on my radar consistently, its more like that particular groups hanging out and they want to play something. However I totally agree that playing these games can bring up old feelings for other games, hence it's not ideal. I wouldn't hold it against a fellow quitter if they were playing socially.

It's the games we play alone or in the comfort of our own homes that cause us to stagnate, so I feel.

?Definitely. Stagnate is a good way to describe it. Ever since I've quit games I feel like I have momentum and I'm moving forward - with games I felt like I was sitting still (literally and figuratively).

I wouldn't hold it against a fellow game-quitter either. Everyone can make their own choices about how they want to live their live, so if they want to keep playing games, I wouldn't hold that against them either. The important thing is to share our experiences and encourage them to do what they think is best for them.