NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Journey Journal

Colin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you plan your weekend or at least  plan activities one day ahead? It's really helpful to make day productive.

I don't right now, but that's a good idea. Also, I just found out that the Blizzard rep didn't cancel my account... I can feel the draw again just knowing it's there. I'm going to try and get it deleted again.

Battle.net, all my Blizzard games, characters and perks... RIP

That was a difficult process. The Blizzard reps kept messing up the tickets so I had to keep asking them to close it. I attached my passport ID no fewer than 3 times to the ticket thread and even then they just deactivated my authenticator app, but finally... After multiple attempts, success!

It hurts a little, but this is a new beginning! I can't go back anymore. If I wanted to start gaming again I would have to start from scratch. #burnbridges

Can’t_log_in_.jpg

My Microsoft account is also marked for deletion. It takes 60 days, but then my XBOX account will also be gone forever. That chapter of my life will officially close with no way to return. I would have to start over again - still a possibility, but it's a high activation cost to get back into hardcore gaming now.

It feels good actually... Like throwing out a bunch of clothes that you wear all the time but don't really like. (but never really knew)

Very inspiring Colin, great work, for me I am pretty addicted dota2.  I have deleted dota but it sucks how i can redownload it in 10 minutes with fibre... You post inspires me to delete my account. You're more of a man than me :P

Hey, sorry I'm so late to reply. Work has been feverish. You only need a few minutes of courage to delete the account and then you can mourn it's loss. You just have to trust me that it gets better with time. You feel like crap right after it happens, but if you find new things - and you will - that's when things start getting better. You start feeling better. 

Shoot me a text anytime you need a boost. My twitter is @ColinDentino, direct message me anytime.

Very inspiring Colin, great work, for me I am pretty addicted dota2.  I have deleted dota but it sucks how i can redownload it in 10 minutes with fibre... You post inspires me to delete my account. You're more of a man than me :P

@drumkat This might help you: In my own experience, getting rid of my steam account and other games seemed like a big task at first. After getting rid of them it was actually a big relief that I wouldn't be dragged into them anymore. At the end of the day, any time spent in the game was for instant fun, there isn't any actual progress there: it doesn't affect real life.

As described by a previous GQ member: Getting rid of gaming accounts feels like running toward a brick wall since it feels like you're going to lose a lot, but when you hit the wall, it turns out it is only paper that you easily run through. On the other side, there are many more opportunities and freedom to not be tempted back into the wasting time playing the games. I felt the same: I hadn't lost anything at all because the time spent was already wasted, and the money already spent.

Hi Colin, I just read up on your journal, and you're doing amazingly to have gotten rid of all your accounts, even your Blizzard account!

Without your account to haunt you, you'll undoubtedly have much more time on your hands and freedom to try new activities. Better yet, make a 'new you'! Quitting the games is the first step, afterwards you can develop yourself into the person you really want to be.

Every now and then you'll get cravings to play the games again, but they pass, and generally become less frequent over time.

I hope this helps and best of luck with taking control of your life! :)

Hi Colin, I just read up on your journal, and you're doing amazingly to have gotten rid of all your accounts, even your Blizzard account!

Without your account to haunt you, you'll undoubtedly have much more time on your hands and freedom to try new activities. Better yet, make a 'new you'! Quitting the games is the first step, afterwards you can develop yourself into the person you really want to be.

Every now and then you'll get cravings to play the games again, but they pass, and generally become less frequent over time.

I hope this helps and best of luck with taking control of your life! :)

Thanks Alex, how long have you been without games?

I finished my detox 166 days ago, after my third attempt. Although I did play a few hours of games with friends some 140 days ago when my brother invited old gamer friends over, but that's not important.

Anything else you'd like to ask I can help you with?

I finished my detox 166 days ago, after my third attempt. Although I did play a few hours of games with friends some 140 days ago when my brother invited old gamer friends over, but that's not important.

Anything else you'd like to ask I can help you with?

Not at the moment, but thanks. Maybe down the road. I'm maybe 2 weeks without games and it's easier everyday.

Congrats on two weeks dude. Three weeks now? :)

Yep, three weeks now. I just noticed yesterday that Netflix has to be curbed too. I can't delete my account because it's the main profile for my family, but I tried to setup some barriers to prevent me from getting lost in the abyss. Thanks for checking in - how was the summit?

I've mentioned Netflix becoming an issue after video games and although it isn't the same as video games - it is still impacting my life negatively. So, I've installed StayFocusd in hopes that I'm creating a bigger barrier or increased activation cost to watching Netflix.

Day 39

I'm doing okay. Slow and steady. I'm having some cravings come up here and there. Some intense just recently, but after watching Module 6 I think I have some direction again. I haven't been meditating everyday anymore, writing in a gratitude journal, or really working out everyday. I run 3 times a week but I don't do something everyday and I could. (yoga, Freeletics, running, etc.)

I get my first 30 day video game free chip though and I'm looking forward to getting the 60 and 90 day versions. Then 1, 2, 3, 5, ... year chips too.

Edited by Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you're still doing well!

Thanks Cam - I'm doing great. No video games, no Netflix addiction anymore. Things have settled down. I attended a 3 day meditation retreat with my wife that's really changed my life and given it purpose. Actually, part of what I'm doing is changing my work life to align with my new purpose - to help others. If you'd like to talk again about how I could help with GQ or one of your other projects I'd love to connect. 

Thanks again for touching base. 

All my best

Hope you're still doing well!

Thanks Cam - I'm doing great. No video games, no Netflix addiction anymore. Things have settled down. I attended a 3 day meditation retreat with my wife that's really changed my life and given it purpose. Actually, part of what I'm doing is changing my work life to align with my new purpose - to help others. If you'd like to talk again about how I could help with GQ or one of your other projects I'd love to connect. 

Thanks again for touching base. 

All my best

Awesome to hear! Let's connect in the next few weeks.