NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Journey Journal

Colin

Day 1

I sold my PS4 and PSN account with it, deleted all the games off my computer and phone (except chess - is that okay?), and don't have any games on Steam worth playing so I kept it open. Steam seemed like more of a hassle to close than it was worth.

The major sticking point for me is my Blizzard account. I have a ton of time and money in that account. I've purchased every game they've made since the original Warcraft: Orcs vs. Humans. I have a son that might use the games or I might not make it through this process. Honestly I could use some help here. There is a major sticking point to losing the account. I'm sure I could make the random email address or just delete the Authenticator app on my phone and the account would be torched. Honestly I didn't think it would be this hard to burn the bridge behind me. 

In the past and even now I'm justifying keeping it open because of some very strong reasons:

1. I could not make it through this process and return to gaming.
  2. Maybe I could game in moderation and I wouldn't want to lose all that history and actual costs of the games.
  3. I'm losing all the accomplishments that I've had. 

I know what I need to do. I'm putting my faith in you and in this program.

Do not let me down.

I deleted the Authenticator app on my phone after enabling mandatory codes on the website. Is that enough do you think?

Battle_net_Account.png

• Guest pinned this topic
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good workout tonight and some quality time with my son and wife. A good start. It was challenging to let go of the Battle.net account. I kind of wish the WOW characters were deleted but it was uninstalled before I read that part. If I relapse I'll make sure to nuke them, but so far so good. I deleted the authorization app and that should make rebooting a pretty solid activation cost. 

Jump in and chat. The social aspect of games was a big one for me. I'll be trolling around these forums and some other entrepreneurial sites. Touch base, say hi, tell me your favorite book, movie and color. I honestly want to know. ????????

If you want to be sure it never hurts to put the barriers as high as possible(meaning to give teh account to a friend and let him change the password). Because you will be tempted to play all these things again along the 90 days.  More important then barriers is to find new activities. I think you did a lot of work here and if you feel later on that gaming Content is triggering you a lot and you are tempted it may be worth to jsut burn the bridges for ood(write a ticket to Blizzard support to delete your account permanently). Good luck to you and have fun exploring a new way of living!

In the past and even now I'm justifying keeping it open because of some very strong reasons:

1. I could not make it through this process and return to gaming

I know the feeling.

By deleting your stuff, you make sure that you have no other option but succeed. I have uninstalled everything, but I still have my accounts, with everything I purchased. The thing is that I came to a point were I don't want to go back.

Favorite book: The Picture of Dorian Gray / Fight Club. Favorite Movie: American Beauty / Fight Club. Favorite Color: B&W.

Welcome, mate! gl,hf

If you want to be sure it never hurts to put the barriers as high as possible(meaning to give teh account to a friend and let him change the password). Because you will be tempted to play all these things again along the 90 days.  More important then barriers is to find new activities. I think you did a lot of work here and if you feel later on that gaming Content is triggering you a lot and you are tempted it may be worth to jsut burn the bridges for ood(write a ticket to Blizzard support to delete your account permanently). Good luck to you and have fun exploring a new way of living!

Thanks, I'm doing my best to get those barriers up. When deleting the characters it's less of a barrier and more of a ... closing a chapter.

1. I could not make it through this process and return to gaming

I know the feeling.

By deleting your stuff, you make sure that you have no other option but succeed. I have uninstalled everything, but I still have my accounts, with everything I purchased. The thing is that I came to a point were I don't want to go back.

Favorite book: The Picture of Dorian Gray / Fight Club. Favorite Movie: American Beauty / Fight Club. Favorite Color: B&W.

Welcome, mate! gl,hf

Doing my best to torch the bridges. Thanks for the support.

My favorite books are probably The Slight Edge and Work the System. (I'm a business nerd.) Movie: Beautiful Mind and Color... blue

I bought a 24' ladder today and started cleaning my gutters. The goal is to repair a leak on the roof which is incredibly steep but I was able to get on the porch roof and clear out some of the trash. 

It's amazing how much stuff there really is to do without video games. It's even a little overwhelming, but I'm hoping to keep plugging away. Taking breaks when I need them because RL isn't like a game. I can't run for an infinite amount of time like my character. My "sprint" button has a pretty friggin' long cool down. So, I'm juggling the many different activities that are replacing my video game time.

It's amazing how much stuff there really is to do without video games. It's even a little overwhelming, but I'm hoping to keep plugging away. Taking breaks when I need them because RL isn't like a game. I can't run for an infinite amount of time like my character. My "sprint" button has a pretty friggin' long cool down. So, I'm juggling the many different activities that are replacing my video game time.

Hello!

Today I also realised that "what the fuck was I doing that I wasn't able to see all overdue and incoming tasks?! Ah, sure, playing video games!" And even though I'm not playing, there's always many tasks (or in gamers jargon "quests") to get done!

So, let's go and do every task until you'll need some relaxation/sleep to regenerate your energy!

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

Hello!

Today I also realised that "what the fuck was I doing that I wasn't able to see all overdue and incoming tasks?! Ah, sure, playing video games!" And even though I'm not playing, there's always many tasks (or in gamers jargon "quests") to get done!

So, let's go and do every task until you'll need some relaxation/sleep to regenerate your energy!

No kidding man! I'm physically exhausted. I just mowed the lawn. It's looking good af but I haven't found a good "do nothing" quest yet. Maybe reading. Meditation is good but it's really boring. Have any suggestions?

• Guest unpinned this topic

I'm exhausted. Started cleaning out the garage and now I'm on the couch watching Netflix. It's not ideal. Netflix is basically video games but like my previous post, I don't know what to do during these times when I'm whipped. 

Many suggestions?

My Battle.net account is being ???? deleted ???? as I type this. I'm not sure I'm ready for this... I still really struggle with what to do when I'm too exhausted to do anything else. I don't have any real "veg out" options. I need some help.

Hello!

No kidding man! I'm physically exhausted. I just mowed the lawn. It's looking good af but I haven't found a good "do nothing" quest yet. Maybe reading. Meditation is good but it's really boring. Have any suggestions?

For resting from physical exhaustion you should:

1. Eat something healthy
  2. Read a good book/article
  3. Practice a new language
  4. Talk with other people/phone friends or family
  5. Take a short nap (not longer than 25 min, otherwise you'll feel like a zombie)
  6. Research any interesing topic for you at the moment
  7. Draw/sketch/Origami
  8. Take a short walk alone or with your dog if you have one
  9. Just sit for a while with a cup of tea and relax
  10. When you're alone you can talk with yourself. That's the best what you can do to have good relationship with the person you're spending the biggest amount of time in your life!

I really don't recommend meditation and yoga. Not only can it be boring, but it's also dangerous as hell.

Although, if you believe in the whole religious aspect of that practises, then this is something you should do. However, remember that yoga and meditation aren't secular.

Hope these helps!

I'm exhausted. Started cleaning out the garage and now I'm on the couch watching Netflix. It's not ideal. Netflix is basically video games but like my previous post, I don't know what to do during these times when I'm whipped. 

Many suggestions?

I don't see a problem with TV or Netflix, as long as you know why you are doing these things. Reading is my activity to relax, but sometimes I meditate for about 10 minutes or listen to podcasts/music. You gotta try things out and see what works for you at the moment.

As a side note, I have studied English, French and now I'm studying Japanese and studying languages is demanding enough for me to consider it to be relaxing.

Many suggestions?

I don't see a problem with TV or Netflix, as long as you know why you are doing these things. Reading is my activity to relax, but sometimes I meditate for about 10 minutes or listen to podcasts/music. You gotta try things out and see what works for you at the moment.

As a side note, I have studied English, French and now I'm studying Japanese and studying languages is demanding enough for me to consider it to be relaxing.

Thanks Reno. I tried some Netflix tonight, but I think it's similar to video games honestly. I end up binge watching it. I'll try reading tomorrow.

Hello!

For resting from physical exhaustion you should:

1. Eat something healthy
  2. Read a good book/article
  3. Practice a new language
  4. Talk with other people/phone friends or family
  5. Take a short nap (not longer than 25 min, otherwise you'll feel like a zombie)
  6. Research any interesing topic for you at the moment
  7. Draw/sketch/Origami
  8. Take a short walk alone or with your dog if you have one
  9. Just sit for a while with a cup of tea and relax
  10. When you're alone you can talk with yourself. That's the best what you can do to have good relationship with the person you're spending the biggest amount of time in your life!

I really don't recommend meditation and yoga. Not only can it be boring, but it's also dangerous as hell.

Although, if you believe in the whole religious aspect of that practises, then this is something you should do. However, remember that yoga and meditation aren't secular.

Hope these helps!

Thanks for the ideas MP. That might be the first time I've ever heard of meditation and yoga being "dangerous as hell". Ha, it sounds like you've had some bad experiences. I'm also pretty sure yoga and meditation are secular (not bound to a specific religion). People of all faiths do yoga and meditate. 

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas MP. That might be the first time I've ever heard of meditation and yoga being "dangerous as hell". Ha, it sounds like you've had some bad experiences. I'm also pretty sure yoga and meditation are secular (not bound to a specific religion). People of all faiths do yoga and meditate. 

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

You're welcome. My opinion about these "secular" practises is basen both on my experience with them and knowledge about them.

If you do it as a "secular" it's the most ridiculous thing for me ever.

However, your opinion also deserves a respect, so it's nice to hear that someone has other view on this than me :).

That last post was some junk that I couldn't get rid of. It must have been a bug with the forum software GQ is using. If I delete it, it comes back so I'm just going to leave it.

I haven't posted much because I'm doing well. I played a lot of chess last night, but "a lot chess" isn't even close to the same as "a lot of No Man's Sky or World of Warcraft". 

I think my Battle.net account was officially closed. It's not recognizing my login anymore, but I never got a confirmation email. Hopefully it's gone because I'm at the point now where I'm thinking, "Sure I can game in moderation", but I know I can't yet. After a few years of sobriety maybe, but I'm not even close yet. I'm on Day 9... lol

Life isn't that much different actually. I have more time to do other things, most of which is sleep at night. The initial push was hard, really hard, but now things are getting easier. I have a new routine, it's nothing crazy like DJing in the Netherlands or spear fishing off the coast of Madagascar, but I'm hoping that will come with time. #slightedge

I think my Battle.net account was officially closed. It's not recognizing my login anymore, but I never got a confirmation email. Hopefully it's gone because I'm at the point now where I'm thinking, "Sure I can game in moderation", but I know I can't yet. After a few years of sobriety maybe, but I'm not even close yet. I'm on Day 9... lol

That's a key man. YEARS of consistency, but one DAY at a time.

You have other priorities in your life than just killing virtual creatures like a kid, right?

Life isn't that much different actually. I have more time to do other things, most of which is sleep at night. The initial push was hard, really hard, but now things are getting easier. I have a new routine, it's nothing crazy like DJing in the Netherlands or spear fishing off the coast of Madagascar, but I'm hoping that will come with time. #slightedge

Nothing will come with time unless you don't put an effort into it (or "penny" :) ). If you read a Slight Edge, you should take action and implement what's inside this book ASAP!

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist.

Weekend mornings are turning out to be my biggest challenge. Normally I would just game in the morning until afternoon. It was an awesome release or at least that's what I think it was. After watching Cam's videos maybe it wasn't really a release. It was an escape from my life. 

How do I find that same escape?

Should I be escaping anymore?

What do I replace that time with?

It's silly because these are the same questions I've answered during the week, but on the weekends they haven't been answered yet.

Feel free to drop your two cents below if you want. Thanks

What could you do your weekend mornings that would make you feel empowered for the weekend?

Working out? Yoga? Reading? Brunch with a friend? Focused time on a project?

Good insight. I ended up working on business stuff that I hadn't gotten to during the week. Then I went for a run in the afternoon. It was okay, maybe not the best solution but it worked. I'll keep experimenting.