NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Alex

AlexTheGrape

My post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 224

Today has been a busy day! I managed to get a lot of revision done in the morning before my chemistry exam. The exam went well, however I made some silly mistakes but I can learn from them.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for having awesome friends.

I am grateful for having access to so many books on my kindle.

I am grateful for the sunshine.

One amazing thing that happened/I did today

Being able to relax in the evening after doing my exam was a good feeling, as I was justified to do so (i.e. not procrastination).

Workout/run

Nope. It means I’ve also failed my monthly goal…

Exercise planning

I’m going to have a run in the morning or afternoon.

Meditation

Nope.

Visualisation

Nope.

Daily affirmation

Nope.

Cold/partially cold shower

Yup.

Reading + taking notes

Reading fiction.

Getting to bed before 9pm

Yup.

Daily application of self-development skills

“Tomorrow I’m going to make sure to not respond to any messages until I’m in a study break (this is practicing ‘be proactive’) as I’d normally impulsively respond to it and hence disrupt the work I’m doing.

It went well yesterday.

My next one: Make a new friend I am not even aquainted with by initiating conversation.

Weekly Goal(s)

I want to make sure to do 9 x 50 minute study sessions daily, with exceptions for days in which I don’t have the full amount of time free for studying (i.e. working or other necessary activities).

Monthly Goal

Failed: This month I want to have exercised for at least 20 minutes every day, and I’ll leave an error margin of 3 days in which I won’t fail this goal by not exercising (-1 error days left).

3 Month Goal (2 months left!)

My three month goal is to develop my leadership skills enough to confidently coach a sports team or lead another form of community group.

What went well today:

Going through my past exam papers for extra help.

What didn’t go well today:

Not exercising at any point during the day.

What I could have done to make my day better:

Exercising.

What I will do differently tomorrow:

I’m going to exercise.

Photo Stream

Enough of the sunrise photos for now, this is where I have had my Game Quitters sticker for this year – on my computer!

“The iPad is not the new babysitter” – My solution: Get a tablet that isn’t an iPad, and put a Game Quitters sticker on it. Solved.

iPhone photos and videos 020.JPG

Dude, you inspire me to study more.

I just need to work less to find enough time to study just like you.

Today I planned to do 9x50min, but I overslept and need to prepare for a job for the rest of the day.

Any advice on it? I mean, how you get organised so well.

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

I'm glad I can inspire you to do that!

I'd just suggest that you keep to a consistent schedule so that you adapt to it every day. For me I use my normal school timings even when it is the weekend or the holidays, as it is a schedule I'm familiar with and is relatively balanced. This way I can build on that schedule by adding more 50 minute blocks before and after the normal school day. I certainly find it easier when I simply come to school (like I am right now) whenever I can to keep in the right environment for that work (i.e. by being in a school environment I am more willing to study, there are less distractions etc.)

My post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 225

Today has been another studying packed day. I managed to get my 9 x 50 minutes of studying done, but to do so I was up until 10pm… I’d say it was definitely worth it though, as it is the last ever day of studying I have for school work! My final exam is tomorrow and then my holidays will start. I have many, many plans for these holidays, I’ll finally be able to implement them.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for being able to watch the news.

I am grateful for being able to catch a bus home.

I am grateful for my self-awareness.

Having a run in the afternoon with the dog was really uplifting for a number of reasons. The sun was out, I met a friend there by chance, I put in a lot of effort, and the dog was enthusiastic as usual.

Workout/run

Yup.

Exercise planning

--

Meditation

Yup.

Visualisation

Yup.

Daily affirmation

Yup.

Yup.

Reading + taking notes

Yup, no notes though.

Nope.

My next one: Make a new friend I am not even aquainted with by initiating conversation.

I came very close to this one a few times in that I almost decided to talk to strangers on a few occasions, but I decided not to for whatever reasons I had (I was just being chicken). So that means I didn’t meet my goal, and I’ll need to try again tomorrow!

Weekly Goal(s)

I want to make sure to do 9 x 50 minute study sessions daily, with exceptions for days in which I don’t have the full amount of time free for studying (i.e. working or other necessary activities).

Monthly Goal

Failed: This month I want to have exercised for at least 20 minutes every day, and I’ll leave an error margin of 3 days in which I won’t fail this goal by not exercising (-1 error days left).

My three month goal is to develop my leadership skills enough to confidently coach a sports team or lead another form of community group.

What went well today:

Having a run in the afternoon helped me get started with working.

I should have exercised in the morning to shake off some slouchiness.

Exercising in the morning, getting enough sleep.

I’m going to have another go at befriending a stranger.

Photo Stream

Here is all the other good photos of the sunrise I took a few days ago. I gotta get these ones out so that I have a need to take more!

iPhone photos and videos 013.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 001.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 005.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 006.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 012.JPG

Hey, thanks for the answer Alex.

How did you get your sticker? :)

Btw. can't wait for our incoming call!

You're welcome.

You should get one when you purchase Respawn, so if you don't have one it might be worth messaging Cam about if you've already got Respawn.

I'm looking forward to the call too :)

This is a side-note for myself explaining why some things have happened they way they have.

I've taken time to consider why I no longer play guitar and didn't get around to making a podcast. With playing guitar it has never been a high priority activity, and that is largely due to it not being necessary and because I don't have a clear way working forward because I don't have a guitar teacher and don't know how to use many of my guitar-learning resources. I'll just need to invest some time into that to get started again, especially finding an alternative to a teacher such as youtube (as I don't know if I'm financially ready/willing to be committed financially with a guitar teacher. With the podcasts, I just never got started! I wrote down some ideas about what I wanted to talk about, but I didn't end up actually recording anything. There are some fears I have around putting my opinions out onto the internet and being open to criticism in that way, but really not much can go wrong. I'm likely going to give them both another shot these holidays (which started an hour ago for me!) as I have them on my ever-growing to-do list these holidays.

If anyone thinks this font looks cool, please let me know :D

This is a side-note for myself explaining why some things have happened they way they have.

I've taken time to consider why I no longer play guitar and didn't get around to making a podcast. With playing guitar it has never been a high priority activity, and that is largely due to it not being necessary and because I don't have a clear way working forward because I don't have a guitar teacher and don't know how to use many of my guitar-learning resources. I'll just need to invest some time into that to get started again, especially finding an alternative to a teacher such as youtube (as I don't know if I'm financially ready/willing to be committed financially with a guitar teacher. With the podcasts, I just never got started! I wrote down some ideas about what I wanted to talk about, but I didn't end up actually recording anything. There are some fears I have around putting my opinions out onto the internet and being open to criticism in that way, but really not much can go wrong. I'm likely going to give them both another shot these holidays (which started an hour ago for me!) as I have them on my ever-growing to-do list these holidays.

If anyone thinks this font looks cool, please let me know :D

Hmm, I'm interested in your guitar skill level now :D

What is the hardest song/solo you can play so far?

Btw. I think that this font looks cool :D

Hmm, I'm interested in your guitar skill level now :D

What is the hardest song/solo you can play so far?

Btw. I think that this font looks cool :D

Haha I'm still a rookie at playing guitar, the inconsistency in which I've played hasn't worked in my favor. I haven't had a teacher for playing guitar since I was 13 years old, so 5 years without a teacher and very little encouragement/incentive has kept me at rookie level.

I currently only play short tunes from my exercise books, so I'd say I can't even play a full song :P

Thanks, I'll keep using this font. :)

Post-Detox Day 226

Today has been a relatively action-packed day, but a good one overall. It has been the day of my final exam, and it is finally over! As soon as it finished I ate my lunch and got stuck into planning out my holidays and tasks I want to get done. I then had an hour at home to relax a little, have a run, and eat before working until 10pm.

There’s still so much more planning to do, but I’m glad that I have so much I want to do (compared to doing not very much my last summer holidays). There’s a holiday programme I’m in the process of planning and developing which is for my family at the moment, and if it works out well I already have plans for expanding its usage to my neighbourhood. Watch this space, there’s going to be interesting things going on soon!

I’m trying out this new style of writing for now, but I think it adds just a little bit of character to the words I say here.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for having great colleages where I work.

I am grateful for getting a whole fried crab in my dinner box (work perks!)

I am grateful for being free from school exams and starting my holidays.

Strangely, planning out the development stages of creating my holiday programme (it is going to be complex from an organiser’s perspective, but it’s going to be great!) was very engaging. I could keep working on it and feel amazing, it is great I have developed the confidence and drive to do this type of thing enough that I am motivated to do it.

Workout/run

Yup.

Exercise planning

Tomorrow in the morning, I’m going to go on a long ass run, lets make it 40+ minutes!

Meditation

Yup.

Visualisation

Nope.

Daily affirmation

Nope.

Yup. Extra long for cold this morning because I felt a little sleepy.

Reading + taking notes

Nope.

Nope.

“Make a new friend I am not even aquainted with by initiating conversation.

I had a go at this one today, and I thought I did really well with a smooth conversation. However this person simply wanted to listen to their music by themselves, and although I introduced myself they did not bother to introduce themselves. I’m glad a gave a crack at it though!

Tomorrow I’m going to: Start using my notepad again and record any times I notice I could be doing something more effectively/efficiently or am not doing something I’m supposed to. This should be a good practice of raising awareness.

Weekly Goal(s)

Monthly Goal

What went well today:

Meditation on the bus.

Not much, actually. I should have gotten to bed sooner though.

Getting enough sleep.

I’m going to make sure my alarms are set so I get to bed on time.

Photo Stream

Here is a photo I took whilst on my run this afternoon.

iPhone photos and videos 006.JPG

Congratulations on your exams!

You're finally free! :D For me it's kinda ridiculous because I'm in the middle of winter semester :( Anyways, make the best out of your time, dude! You deserve it.

I've found couple of interesting things in your entry:

1. I thought you're better than rookie on guitar, but this can change within time :)
  2. Even though there are holidays you still gonna study 9x50min? Or is it just a not deleted goal?
  3. How is it possible to meditate in the bus? Weren't you scary of being pickpocketed?
  4. Looks like trees in NZ grows differently than in Poland :D

Post-Detox Day 227

Today has been refreshing, for a few reasons. I was asked to help out my grandparents for the day, so I did just that. It included everything from putting in insulation in the ceiling to washing the windows to transferring computer files. By the time I got home it was about 6pm, and I’m glad I got to spend that quality time with my grandad. I haven’t made much progress with my planning today, but it has undoubtedly been a day well spent. I didn’t manage to get the run done I wanted to, so I’ll be doing that first thing tomorrow morning.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for having amazing grandparents.

I am grateful for having the freedom to drive.

I am grateful for a special opportunity coming my way…

Putting insulation in my grandparent’s ceiling was a surprisingly unique experience. I needed to wear overalls and an air mask because the air was so dusty, and wore a headlamp because there was hardly any light getting in. It made for an experience similar to being in a mine because it was only safe to stand on certain places, there was a low ceiling, and a few other things made it very interesting. I reckon I should have taken a photo! Next time I guess.

Workout/run

Nope.

Exercise planning

Tomorrow in the morning, I’m going to go on a long ass run, lets make it 40+ minutes!

Meditation

Nope.

Visualisation

Nope.

Daily affirmation

Nope.

Yup.

Reading + taking notes

Yup, no notes.

Nope.

“Start using my notepad again and record any times I notice I could be doing something more effectively/efficiently or am not doing something I’m supposed to. This should be a good practice of raising awareness.

I packed my notepad, but didn’t write anything in it. I’ll give it another go tomorrow.

Weekly Goal(s)

Monthly Goal

Failed: This month I want to have exercised for at least 20 minutes every day, and I’ll leave an error margin of 3 days in which I won’t fail this goal by not exercising (-2 error days left).

What went well today:

Helping out the family.

Procrastinating getting to sleep last night.

Getting enough sleep.

Go to bed on time, do my morning habits on time.

Photo Stream

I took this one a few weeks ago, on a very steep hill! I gotta get that camera out now

iPhone photos and videos 020.JPG

Congratulations on your exams!

You're finally free! :D For me it's kinda ridiculous because I'm in the middle of winter semester :( Anyways, make the best out of your time, dude! You deserve it.

I've found couple of interesting things in your entry:

1. I thought you're better than rookie on guitar, but this can change within time :)
  2. Even though there are holidays you still gonna study 9x50min? Or is it just a not deleted goal?
  3. How is it possible to meditate in the bus? Weren't you scary of being pickpocketed?
  4. Looks like trees in NZ grows differently than in Poland :D

Thank you very much!

Haha yeah I am finally free! Yeah most of the student world right now is partway through some type of semester/term, but I'm in the southern hemisphere so summer time is the same as Christmas time, so it is pretty much the ultimate holiday period.

Yes you're right, the 9 x 50 minutes is a goal that I haven't deleted yet! I change that one weekly, so it is going to sit there for now.

I go on a school bus, but even if I was on a public bus I could simply tie my bags around my legs so they won't be taken without me noticing, and I could keep my hands in my pockets so that no other hands will fit in there. There's solutions for everything man!

Haha yes I'm guessing those are native trees, but pine trees and such from Europe still grow normally here, probably just a little faster :D

Thank you very much!

Haha yeah I am finally free! Yeah most of the student world right now is partway through some type of semester/term, but I'm in the southern hemisphere so summer time is the same as Christmas time, so it is pretty much the ultimate holiday period.

Yes you're right, the 9 x 50 minutes is a goal that I haven't deleted yet! I change that one weekly, so it is going to sit there for now.

I go on a school bus, but even if I was on a public bus I could simply tie my bags around my legs so they won't be taken without me noticing, and I could keep my hands in my pockets so that no other hands will fit in there. There's solutions for everything man!

Haha yes I'm guessing those are native trees, but pine trees and such from Europe still grow normally here, probably just a little faster :D

Hmm, so maybe this period of ultimate holiday is something great, but I prefer shorter breaks which occurs more often :) Just like in Northern Hemisphere.

And inspired by your effort, I'll still try to do 9x50 mins. :)

I have a similar tactics when I'm sleeping in a train alone. I tie backpack around my arms/legs + hands in pockets. Never robbed in Poland! There IS solution for everything, man! ;)

That's amazing that NZ earth is making plants grow a little faster :D I want to try it out. When is the next (and very first) GQ meetup in NZ? :D

Btw. I gave you my own idea for topic on our incoming call.