NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Alex

AlexTheGrape

My post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 192

Today started off well with a morning run, and it was a very fun day in general. I was filmed in the afternoon, and as a result didn't have much time for studying. It was the last session of filming I need to do, so now I can just wait for it to air!

I had some ideas on how I might approach my career path, but it's something that'll become clear in time.

I had some ideas on how I might approach my career path, but it's something that'll become clear in time.

It will. Just remember to use every opportunity that will appear on your path. As we often feel more regret for things we didn't, than for the things we did.

Posts for the past couple of days:

Post-Detox Day 193

Today was a mixed day. I didn’t manage to do much proper exercise (only about 10 minutes), and an email I got today brought to my attention that the small decisions we make on a daily basis reflect how we approach many areas of life. For instance I’ve been doing poorly with exercising daily recently, and that act (or lack thereof) of lousiness might have worked its way into other areas of my life.

Anyhow I made dinner for my family tonight, I’m glad I’m still working on that skill. Despite people playing video games during class today, I easily kept out of it. I know that it is probably harmless at this stage to play an arcade game every now and then, but I don’t want to bring back any nostalgia of my times playing more time consuming games.

Post-Detox Day 194

Today was a very fun day at school where all the final year students (myself included) swapped uniform gender, so it was a very funny day in general. I did my first day at work, which was busy but very exciting. I was exhausted when I got home, but I’m glad things went well.

Again, I didn’t do a workout or run, it was simply a walk today.

My post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 195

Today has been my final 'normal' day at school, and it was certainly interesting. I have two half days left of school, and I think I'm really ready to move on from school. It was a great day in general, I got some decent work done whilst spending some quality time with friends. I was inspired by the head boy at my school to go for a run to exercise my independence, and I did just that. I ran with my dog, and just kept going. And going. And going. I ended up running to the heart of Auckland city from my house, and back, which was a total of 24km which took me three hours exactly (plus one second lol). It was a journey in itself as I met people along the way running, ran with one of them, and exchanged stories. I was even given a free Powerade drink by a lady I met ran with halfway to the city, so it was a wonderful adventure for a Friday afternoon. There was a large group of people I knew (but haven't seen in a long while) that I didn't say hi to on my way back, and in hindsight I regret that. At least I pushed myself to get to know people that afternoon, and although I didn't jump on every opportunity, I think I did pretty damn well.

My post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 196

Today I had a look with my dad at some cars as I need one of my own soon. I did plenty of driving, but also worked till late in the evening. It didn’t leave me with much time for homework unfortunately, and I didn’t make the time to have proper exercise either. It was a busy day in general, but I’m glad with what I accomplished in the time.

Post-Detox Day 197

Today has been a study day at home, and I got a ‘good’ amount done (feedback from my brother). I cleaned my room well, but that was out of procrastination more than anything else. I got a good mix of running and workouts done today, however each one was relatively short (10 mins x 3 approx.). I had a late start to the day as I didn’t get to sleep until late, but I’m psyched to get back into proper habits tomorrow onwards.  

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for living in the time I am today.

I am grateful for having a chair.

I am grateful for having a very friendly workplace.

One amazing thing that happened/I did today

My desk is now arranged really well for minimal distractions. Getting out for a run was great, although I’m still a little sore from running a half marathon.

Workout/run

Yep.

Meditation

Nope.

Visualisation

Nope.

Daily affirmation

Nope.

Reading + taking notes

Nope. I also need to get on with writing my own mission statement.

Getting to bed before 9pm

Nope.

Daily social goal

--

Application of self-development skills

My new self-development focus is on leadership. I’m going to make sure that I put myself ‘out there’ more to practice dealing with the risk of being criticised or embarrassed, as I now know that I ‘play it safe’ too often to be an effective leader in almost any situation.

Weekly Goal(s)

--

Monthly Goal

My goal for this month will to be to follow through with any commitments I make – whether it be goals, leadership, or anything.

3 Month Goal

My three month goal is to develop my leadership skills enough to confidently coach a sports team or lead another form of community group.

What went well today:

Written on paper.

What I could have done to make my day better:

Written on paper.

What I will do differently tomorrow:

Written on paper.

Photo Stream

Here’s a photo I took last week when I went for a 10km run.

iPhone photos and videos 019.JPG

My post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 198

Today was another day of studying at home. It was a relatively average day of working, largely due to having some random gaming cravings that prevented me from studying properly halfway through the day. I overcame the ‘source’ by removing my world map from my wall, which was acting as a trigger for me to think about conquest based games I used to play. I completed all of my morning habits, and had a good exercise in the morning too. I assume this helped me get started with work.

Post-Detox Day 199

Today I went to school to study, and it paid off. By using the 6 period structure of a normal school day I was able to get quite a bit done. My brother and I have shared some ideas on what we’re going to do together in the holidays, however I’m keeping a big surprise. Otherwise it was a rather uneventful day.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for the school library.

I am grateful for Burger King.

I am grateful for having (practically) unlimited water.

Doing a 10 minute workout in the afternoon helped a lot with keeping focused on work.

Workout/run

Yep.

Meditation

Yup.

Visualisation

Nope.

Daily affirmation

Nope.

Reading + taking notes

Yup.

9:10, very close.

I’m putting the following two headings on hold as I am currently focusing on preparing for exams, and don’t have the people around to be practicing social skills much practicing leadership.

Daily social goal

--

Application of self-development skills

“My self-development focus is on leadership. I’m going to make sure that I put myself ‘out there’ more to practice dealing with the risk of being criticised or embarrassed, as I now know that I ‘play it safe’ too often to be an effective leader in almost any situation.

Weekly Goal(s)

I want to make sure to do 8 x 50 minute study sessions daily, with exceptions for days in which I don’t have the full amount of time free for studying.

Monthly Goal

My goal for this month will to be to follow through with any commitments I make – whether it be goals, leadership, or anything.

3 Month Goal

My three month goal is to develop my leadership skills enough to confidently coach a sports team or lead another form of community group.

What went well today:

Written on paper.

I could have made sure to do a workout as soon as I got home, as it ended in procrastination when I sat down on my bed.

Written on paper.

Post-Detox Day 200

Today has been an interesting day as I went to school to see all my year group for the second to last time (the last will be after exams. I got plenty of studying done, and was an otherwise uneventful day.

I’ve now reached 200 days since I finished my detox, which now doesn’t seem all that long ago. I’m glad I’m out of bad habits, and making progress with new, good habits.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for feedback.

I am grateful for the privilege of going to school.

I am grateful for my shoes.

Catching up with friends today was a great time, and everybody was very cheerful.

Workout/run

Yup.

Meditation

Yup.

Visualisation

Nope.

Daily affirmation

Nope.

Reading + taking notes

Yup.

Nope.

Weekly Goal(s)

I want to make sure to do 8 x 50 minute study sessions daily, with exceptions for days in which I don’t have the full amount of time free for studying.

Monthly Goal

3 Month Goal

What went well today:

Written on paper.

I could make sure to have absolutely no internet browsing before getting started with work, to avoid procrastination.

Written on paper.

Left side of the brain is the logic side.

Right side is the creative side.

It is a quote from the 7 habits book! 

Thank you for explaining that. I'm actually halfway through that book at the moment, there's a lot of reading for just 7 habits. I've gotten stuck on writing a mission statement for myself, as I tend to want to do my best in everything, and saying that by itself is too general. Have you managed to write yourself a mission statement?

Edited by AlexTheGrape

Hello!

DAILY?!!! HOW CAN YOU ACHIEVE THAT ?!??!

Hello!

If I study at school there's 6 x 50 minutes of school time, and then I want to do an additional 2 x 50 minutes at home. It's proving achievable on Monday-Friday but difficult on the weekends when I can't go to school.

Here's a few quick posts for the past few busy days:

Post-Detox Day 201

Today I went all-out with studying during the day, and continued to do so in part of my breaks simply because I wanted to get more done. I got some help and feedback from my maths teacher which I'm very happy about, and am glad I'm going to school to study as I can get help if I get stuck. The afternoon was uneventful, just more studying. I certainly reached my 8 x 50 minute studying goal!

Post-Detox Day 202

Today I worked hard for 4 periods at school with revision, and was able to teach somebody a lot who needed help with physics. The afternoon (still during school time) consisted of the school prizegiving ceremony, during which I received the computer science award for my year group. As soon as I got home from school, I had to gear up for work, and was working till late.

Post-Detox Day 203

Today has been mostly filled with driving practice, looking for cars, completing neglected non-study tasks, and restful activities (i.e. reading). It wasn't the most productive day I've had, but I have been working very hard this week so I'm not too worried I let my socks down (figuratively speaking) for a day. I spent some time with my family watching a movie and talking about it, and am glad we could all take the time to sit down together (normally at least one person would be busy with something else).

Considering how much has happened recently, I would have journaled yesterday, but unfortunately I have a fever and haven't gotten round to much other than trying to sleep and drinking hot tea. Oh, and doing a driving test this morning, which I passed. I can now drive people whenever I want! (Having had no alcohol of course). I also got a curious look today presumably because they recognized me from on TV.

My post for yesterday:

Today has been the BIG DAY. Why? It was the day in which the TVNZ Sunday program aired that myself and my twin have been featured in. My family and friends have been waiting for this one for a few months, and it's finally been shown throughout New Zealand. I got all positive feedback from friends and family, which was wonderful.

Considering how much has happened recently, I would have journaled yesterday, but unfortunately I have a fever and haven't gotten round to much other than trying to sleep and drinking hot tea. Oh, and doing a driving test this morning, which I passed. I can now drive people whenever I want! (Having had no alcohol of course). I also got a curious look today presumably because they recognized me from on TV.

My post for yesterday:

Today has been the BIG DAY. Why? It was the day in which the TVNZ Sunday program aired that myself and my twin have been featured in. My family and friends have been waiting for this one for a few months, and it's finally been shown throughout New Zealand. I got all positive feedback from friends and family, which was wonderful.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for the opportunity to be on TV.

I am grateful for my caring and supportive friends.

I am grateful for the growth of this community.

Definitely seeing myself on TV! It was nerve-racking to see how it was all put together at the same time as the rest of NZ, but I’m glad my story is now out there.

Workout/run

Yup.

Meditation

Yup.

Visualisation

Yup.

Daily affirmation

Yup.

Reading + taking notes

Nope.

Nope.

Weekly Goal(s)

Monthly Goal

3 Month Goal

What went well today:

Getting my morning schedule done helped a lot.

Keeping up my effort throughout the day could have been accomplished with more exercise, so more exercise is needed.

Exercise more!

@AlexTheGrape, GQ ambassador in NZ!

To be honest, I don't have a finished version of a mission statement. Instead, I use my affirmations for it. In the 7 Habits, the mission statement is refered to in terms of your roles, but I'm still searching for my roles, as atm I find it hard to see (or name) roles for myself except my role as a husband. I have affirmations of purpose, affirmations of self-respect, affirmations of power and love, affirmations of serenity and confidence and affirmations of gratitude, which kind of covers my principles in one way of another. I'd like to shape them into a statement as soon as I can see my roles clearly.

@AlexTheGrape, GQ ambassador in NZ!

To be honest, I don't have a finished version of a mission statement. Instead, I use my affirmations for it. In the 7 Habits, the mission statement is refered to in terms of your roles, but I'm still searching for my roles, as atm I find it hard to see (or name) roles for myself except my role as a husband. I have affirmations of purpose, affirmations of self-respect, affirmations of power and love, affirmations of serenity and confidence and affirmations of gratitude, which kind of covers my principles in one way of another. I'd like to shape them into a statement as soon as I can see my roles clearly.

Haha yes I'm one of the only people in the community from NZ, we're a small country!

Thank you Reno for sharing how your affirmations work. Tonight I'll probably get working on a proper mission statement as I have written down all the general ideas I want to have in it.

Here’s a quick post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 205

Today I’ve been down with a fever, and as a result have been mostly trying to recover from it. I passed a driving test, and did plenty of driving so I got a reasonable amount done.

I’ve received a lot of positive feedback and support from family and friends for the show I’ve been on recently, which you can find here: http://forum.gamequitters.com/topic/1807-master-list-of-media-interviews/#comment-22692

Post-Detox Day 206

Today has been a good day in general. I’ve been feeling better in the morning, so I think the fever is going away. I got an okay amount of work done, but it’s not up to my normal standards as I simply didn’t do it for long enough and with enough focus. I’ll make sure to go to school to study for the day so that I am in a proper working environment.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for having a room to myself.

I am grateful for having a brother just like me.

I am grateful for having running shoes.

Getting out for a quick run was a great refresher. It brought a big smile to my face!

Workout/run

Yep.

Meditation

Nope.

Visualisation

Yep.

Daily affirmation

Yep.

Reading + taking notes

Nope.

Nope.

Weekly Goal(s)

I want to make sure to do 9 x 50 minute study sessions daily, with exceptions for days in which I don’t have the full amount of time free for studying.

Monthly Goal

Last month goal: My goal for this month will to be to follow through with any commitments I make – whether it be goals, leadership, or anything.

I unfortunately didn’t keep to all my commitments this month, mostly to do with exercising. I think I’ll need another/new accountability partner to keep me up to doing this as I’ve been having difficulty keeping myself motivated and accountable for exercising daily.

3 Month Goal (2 months left!)

What went well today:

Exercising in a couple of studying breaks helped bring my energy back up.

What didn’t go well today:

I did plenty of procrastination and didn’t have a full exercise session to start the day.

I could have meditated and had a full exercise session in the morning.

I’m going to make sure that I get a new accountability partner, go to school for a full day of studying, and stick to my morning schedule.

Photo Stream

I need to keep up the good looks in my journal, so I'll start uploading my photography again.

These three pictures were some of the ones I took whilst being filmed, which is in a couple of short scenes in the Sunday program I've been featured in.

DSC02474.JPG

DSC02485.JPG

DSC02503.JPG