NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Alex

AlexTheGrape

My post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 123

Today has been a successful study day, despite getting up later than I should have. I saw a movie with my old school friends (Star Trek) in the evening, and unfortunately we missed a bus and so was late. I strangely felt there was a growing gap in maturity, as I might be 'outpacing' my friends with all my self-development activities. All in all it was a good day, but it certainly didn't do anything good for my sleep to get back home at 11pm.

Post for today:

Post-Detox Day 124

Today has been a very mixed bag in many ways. I identified a source of my stresses and insecurities regarding my future life, what it meant to be me, and the path I'm taking in life (i.e. it being different to my peers). It was a difficult experience to delve into these topics, but by talking it through with a family member I could get another opinion on it and I'm now much better off with my sources of stress addressed (no rhyme intended).

I didn't start my morning routine upon waking up, and it spelled chaos for my studying routine as I ended up watching videos and procrastinating. To be fair I haven't given myself much down time recently and I didn't get much sleep, but I've now identified that it's crucial to keep a consistent schedule in the morning if I want a planned day to work. Also not meditating in the morning resulted in me feeling sluggish, which would normally have been removed if I'd have 'emptied my thoughts'.

All in all it was a good day since I got some mentally troubling issues sorted, and learned a lesson.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for having amazing friends that go out of their way to see how I'm doing.

I am grateful for the opportunity to be on national television soon.

I am grateful for my capability and attitude to learn from my mistakes.

One amazing thing I did today:

I prepared for studying (and inadvertently cheered myself up) with a run this afternoon; I enjoyed it despite it being an intense 2.4km run. I couldn't help but smile seeing the city in the distance whilst running through a field, and I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the run. I celebrated a successful run by dancing to 'Party' by Tokyo Machine, and I am thinking I'm finally starting to enjoy running.

Workout/run

Yup.

Meditation

Yup.

Visualisation

Yup. I think it worked well today.

Daily affirmations

Yup. Also worked well today.

Reading + taking notes

I read, but didn’t take notes.

Getting to bed before 9pm

Not a chance, I got home at 11pm. On the bright side I’ve set up a series of alarms that are gentle and have actually worked today, I’m only off schedule by 20 minutes at the moment (much better than previous attempts) but I’ll try and get it done on time tomorrow.

Daily social goal

It was to simply be confident in everything I do. I think this has helped with my run, but otherwise I forgot to apply it.

Social goal for tomorrow:

I want to make sure I take on leadership opportunities whenever I can, even if it’s just something small like answering a question to the floor in class.

Python programming

Nope.

Less than 15 minutes of Youtube

Nope.

No procrastination before studying

Certainly a no.

What I could have done to make my day better:

I could have stuck to my morning schedule; that would have made a huge difference.

What I will do differently tomorrow:

I will make sure to do a full workout as part of my morning schedule (and do it all on time)

Photo Stream

I ran by a stream today but didn’t take a photo, so I’ll add one that I took on Friday morning.

Photography lineup

Another photo I took near Lake Wainamu a few months ago.

­­­­

DSC01912.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 026.JPG

Your journal seems extremely structured, and you're sharing a lot of what you do every day. Do you ever find it tiring?

It's generally advised not to share your goals, yet a lot of people here seem to be doing exactly that, and it seems to be working out fine for you.

(I tried to do something similar at various points, but found it too draining.)

Thanks for checking out my journal. You have a good point, as that post just took me half an hour to write. In a way it isn't necessary to be writing so much, but I still find it helpful to reflect on my day and try to do better the next. Having my long list of daily habits keeps me accountable for developing myself, and so I think it's worth it.

What goals here do you find? I didn't think they're able to be found here other than the visualisation posts I added. What makes you think goals shouldn't be posted here? I'm just curious as I've had second thoughts about publicly posting those sorts of things.

Thanks again for commenting, I appreciate it :D

Oh, I never say something should/shouldn't be done since who am I to decide. Especially since, in your case, it really seems to be working very well.

But for me, sharing my goals and daily activities (the two are related) gives me an impression I've already achieved the goal because it's written down, and I may have received encouragement for it, which basically a reward, praise. So I feel less motivated to pursue the actual goal as a result.

For example, you mention Python, so you must have a programming-related goal(s). You got social goals, less than 15 minutes YouTube goals, etc.

(Want to at least look into Python myself since I'd like to create my own visual novel at some point, and RenPy is the most popular engine for that.)

Edited by Marquess

When it comes to posting goals it's most important to do the following:

1. Only post goals that you're committed to taking action on.
2. Only post goals to people that will be supportive.

For instance, if I kept my goal of writing a book to myself, and didn't tell my buddy Adam about it, he wouldn't have been able to hook me up with a bunch of resources that helped him write his book - which have helped me immensely to make progress on mine. The difference is I didn't tell my goal of writing a book to random people on the street (which just makes me feel like I'm accomplishing the goal without actually doing it), and instead I chose Adam very specifically because he had experience with the goal I was looking to achieve.

Also, for some, structure helps a lot. For others, structure does not help. It's always about finding what works best for you. 

Alex, for the feeling weird or different, watch this one

Post-Detox Day 124

Today has been amazing, largely because I kept to everything I scheduled. I had a work out to start off my day, did well focusing in school, and kicked off my afternoon well by going for a run. I got sufficient homework done this afternoon, although I could have squeezed in more if I spent less time watching the news.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for the surprise milkshake I was given this afternoon.

I am grateful for having wonderful views during my run this afternoon.

I am grateful for having the freedom to do what I wish with my time.

One amazing thing I did today:

This afternoon I went for a run despite having already done my needed exercise, and it was quite enjoyable despite me pushing myself to sprint at some points. Getting outside and feeling the wind in my face is starting to be a positive thing I’ve been focusing on, and it’s getting easier to get out and running.

Workout/run

Done!

Meditation

Done.

Visualisation

Done, although it was halfway through the day.

Daily affirmations

Done.

Reading + taking notes

Done and done!

I did much better yesterday than the night before, but I’m going to do better today. I’m only 10 minutes behind schedule right now, as opposed to 20 yesterday by the time I wrote this.

Thankfulness message/letter NEW!

A few months ago I tried a proven helpful daily activity of thanking one person for something, sincerely, every day. I’ve done this the past couple of days, and I’d like to add it here to keep myself going at it consistently. It only takes a couple of minutes a day, doesn’t cost me anything, and can make someone else’s day whilst enhancing my use of gratitude.

Daily social goal

“I want to make sure I take on leadership opportunities whenever I can, even if it’s just something small like answering a question to the floor in class.” I spoke up more in class today which was good, but there were a couple of times I could have helped out my class more. All in all I’ve done well for this one.

I’m going to have a proper conversation with two acquaintances.

Python programming

Nope. I’ve written it in red in my planner now, it’s high priority for tomorrow.

I had about 15 minutes, probably less.

I did really well with this one, I now need to get better at getting back to work quicker after significant disruptions.

I’ve done pretty well today, but I suppose I could have gotten back to work quicker after dinner and spoke to more people.

I’m going to assign in-school tasks I want to do to certain time periods, that way I won’t leave it to do later.

Photo Stream

On my run today I went on a sea-view outing, so I took a photo of an Island. I took it whilst my phone was strapped to my arm (like a lot of my river photos) so it’s not the best :P

Photography lineup

Here’s one from my time in Australia a few months ago!

iPhone photos and videos 002.JPG

DSC02389.JPG

Oh, I never say something should/shouldn't be done since who am I to decide. Especially since, in your case, it really seems to be working very well.

But for me, sharing my goals and daily activities (the two are related) gives me an impression I've already achieved the goal because it's written down, and I may have received encouragement for it, which basically a reward, praise. So I feel less motivated to pursue the actual goal as a result.

For example, you mention Python, so you must have a programming-related goal(s). You got social goals, less than 15 minutes YouTube goals, etc.

(Want to at least look into Python myself since I'd like to create my own visual novel at some point, and RenPy is the most popular engine for that.)

That's really understandable, and in your case it's probably best not to have it public. Personally I find the accountability more important than anything for posting online, the encouragement is only needed when I'm having troubling times (e.g. my previous relapses).

Thanks for your input, I'll take that into consideration for recommending this type of thing to people in future.

I've only read small bits of your journal so far, but it figures that someone with 34 pages has had a few relapses, ha. (Same here obviously.)

My takeway from this would be that it's generally best not to state your goals unless it's to a person that can truly offer you real, practical advice. In that case it's worth the risk.

It probably also becomes less of an issue once you're more successful in general.

Edited by Marquess

When it comes to posting goals it's most important to do the following:

1. Only post goals that you're committed to taking action on.
2. Only post goals to people that will be supportive.

For instance, if I kept my goal of writing a book to myself, and didn't tell my buddy Adam about it, he wouldn't have been able to hook me up with a bunch of resources that helped him write his book - which have helped me immensely to make progress on mine. The difference is I didn't tell my goal of writing a book to random people on the street (which just makes me feel like I'm accomplishing the goal without actually doing it), and instead I chose Adam very specifically because he had experience with the goal I was looking to achieve.

Also, for some, structure helps a lot. For others, structure does not help. It's always about finding what works best for you. 

Alex, for the feeling weird or different, watch this one

Thanks for the advice Cam. I've made sure to remove the commitments that haven't been worthwhile. On the other hand I can't be assured that people here on the forum will be supportive of me working toward my goals, but I know that I need some accountability and I'm not going to be discouraged by the people here.

I currently don't go around telling people I'm on some sort of journey by quitting games or anything, and that works for the better. I don't receive recognition for what I'm doing until I show results (e.g. I've had positive comments on my physical appearance, but I haven't been telling people that I've been working out).

Thank you for that video, it's very relevant to what I was feeling. I'll keep in mind that other's can't see my motives or where I'm heading, just what I'm doing now.

Post-Detox Day 125

Today has been another great one; I kept myself relatively busy in school, and I well exceeded my social goal. A highlight is I’m now in position to help raise awareness about video game addiction and my story quitting games, as I’ll be on national television to share my story within a few months. I was busy with other general activities but didn’t get much homework done this afternoon though.

In terms of my habits I’ve done pretty well; I exercised in the morning, did my meditation (forgot visualisation though), sent a thank-you letter, read and took lots of notes last night, and generally did these necessary tasks. I now need to work on getting into my study in spite of major setbacks and distractions like I experienced today.

I’ll need to cut this one short, I need to get up early again to work out. Thanks for reading, reader!

Post-Detox Day 126

I'm doing another short post - this afternoon has been busy!

Today's classes have been a combination of fun, pressuring (a test), and interesting, as I'm getting into some interesting topics such as human evolution in biology. I had fencing this afternoon and gave it my best, and to top it off had a wonderful dinner with my classmates to farewell our tutor teacher who has been with most of us for at least 5 years.

I had a full work out this morning, did some meditation, forgot visualisation again, gave genuine thanks, read and took notes last night. I've done pretty well with my habits, but I didn't make/have the time to do python programming. I suppose I could have squeezed 20 minutes in somewhere, but I've been filling everything from lunch times to after school with other activities...

Liked the post for proper use of the semi :PP.

Thanks, but I can't figure out what you mean by 'the semi'. I'm guessing it might be to do with 'thanks for reading, reader!'(?).

Post-Detox Day 127

I didn’t post when I should have, and I’m not happy about that level of commitment. I have been busy, but five minutes to write a quick post is completely possible. Regardless, yesterday I did very well in general. I completed a full 2.4k run in the morning, meditated, didn’t visualise (again…), and did a ton of python! I still need to work on getting back to studying quicker though; I have a habit of ceasing to work after eating dinner. Anyhow I’m doing fine at the moment.

Post-Detox Day 128

Today has been another good day at school, and I had a nice relaxing afternoon. I’ve given myself permission to have Friday afternoons off, and it feels good to not feel guilty to take a break from studying. This may seem a bit strange, but I have a tendency to ‘max-out’ all the time I have to study and do other necessary activities, even during weekend hours. This leaves me with no dedicated time to relax, and now I have some time to look forward to so that every day isn’t a grind. Tomorrow I’ll be back to study mode though. :P

I’ve also noticed that a reason I’ve been putting off visualisation is that I may be perceived simply as a ‘weirdo’ for looking at pictures (my visualisation goals) and closing my eyes whilst on the bus. I can address this by either doing visualisation at home or emphasizing the use of consistent visualisation. My gain of doing visualisation is much greater than the instantaneous notice of others. Either way, I’ll be keeping myself accountable for acting on this in the next week.

I’ll be off to a programming competition tomorrow, have heaps of studying I’ve got planned, and have a job interview on Sunday, so my weekend will be pretty packed!

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for my amazing tutor teacher who has guided me these past 3 years.

I am grateful for having a heater in my room.

I am grateful for having no current conflicts or grudges with anybody.

One amazing thing that happened/I did today:

Coming home to my rural house, I saw beautiful views of green hills and a couple of rainbows. I’m aware that such sights are rare, and the general scenery even rarer elsewhere in the world. I’m grateful for the wonderful sights, it was a great way to finish the school week.

Workout/run

Had my once a week break.

Meditation

Done.

Visualisation

Skipped… I’ll certainly get onto it tomorrow though!

Daily affirmations

Done.

Reading + taking notes

Yup.

Nope.

Thankfulness message/letter

Skipped.

Daily social goal

None was set today.

I’m going to get to know two strangers tomorrow, and maybe more if I feel up to it. I’d like to exercise the idea that every stranger is a friend that just hasn’t been met yet.

Python programming

Not today.

-- (free afternoon)

-- (free afternoon)

I could have possibly did more organisation of what homework I want to get done this weekend, but in general I think I’ve done fairly well with today with paying attention during class and checking off to-do’s during school breaks.

I’m going to do two meditation and two visualisation sessions tomorrow; I think it could help with keeping a clear head throughout the day so I’ll need to try it.

Photo Stream

Here’s one from my run yesterday!

Photography lineup

Here’s another one from my time in Australia a few months ago. This one’s a favourite of mine.

DSC02358.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 012.JPG

This may seem a bit strange, but I have a tendency to ‘max-out’ all the time I have to study and do other necessary activities, even during weekend hours. This leaves me with no dedicated time to relax, and now I have some time to look forward to so that every day isn’t a grind. Tomorrow I’ll be back to study mode though. :P

Rest time is just as important as productive time. I would get less done if I didn't go surfing for example.  

Post-Detox Day 129

Today has been a wonderful! I competed in a team at the NZPC (New Zealand Programming Contest) and came 10th place out of 38 teams nationally. I know my team could have gotten at least 3rd or 2nd if we were able to figure out what our most complex program had difficulty with (it correctly answered what we gave it, but didn’t correctly answer all the judge’s data). Anyhow it was a good experience and I’m pleased with my team’s result.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for having the resources to learn programming and compete in a programming competition.

I am grateful for paper being so cheap.

I am grateful for the abundant technology in this day and age.

Today on the train to the city I talked to a girl my age for what must have been 50 minutes or so. It was certainly interesting to get to know another person’s ‘life story’ and meeting somebody I’d otherwise have never known. It’s great to have a bit more social experience dealing with strangers under my belt, and if I keep this mentality in mind later on it’ll be much easier to socialise with new people.

Workout/run

I had a full work out this morning. I didn’t beat my best of 45 push ups in a row, but I hope to beat my 2.4k record tomorrow morning!

Meditation

Done!

Visualisation

Done, finally!

Daily affirmations

Not done yet, I forgot to bring the sheet (with them on it) with me.

Reading + taking notes

Nope.

(Not possible today, I got home at 9:50!)

Done. I’m having second thoughts on this one though; it’s helpful but not actually essential.

Daily social goal

“I’m going to get to know two strangers tomorrow, and maybe more if I feel up to it. I’d like to exercise the idea that every stranger is a friend that just hasn’t been met yet.” I started conversations with multiple strangers today (2-3) and one of them was a very long conversation indeed!

It’ll be to just talk to strangers again. 2 Is good.

Python programming

Yup, at the competition, I planned coding and coded for 5 hours!

Yup

-- (didn’t study today)

I could have made sure to get to sleep on time yesterday; it was my afternoon off but I could still have gotten to bed one time.

I’m going to make sure all my alarms are on tomorrow, I think some of them aren’t on.

Photo Stream

Didn’t run today, so not streaming.

Photography lineup

Here’s another one from my photography outing to Lake Wainamu a few months ago.

DSC01881.JPG

Post-Detox Day 130

Today has been another good day in general, but not so in terms of studying done. My job interview in the morning went well, and I think I’m in a good position to make it through to the next stage of the process. I spent a surprising amount of the day messaging and using snapchat, which isn’t a good development. I’ll let it slide today, but I need to make sure that doesn’t happen again in future, especially if I know I have tasks that need doing.

I did my 2.4km run this morning, and beat my previous time… by 2 seconds! :D It’s not a big jump but if I can keep beating my record then I’ll be making awesome progress.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for ‘By Design’ by WRLD, it’s been my favourite song for running.

I am grateful for my calculator. Life would be much harder without that sort of technology.

I am grateful for Facebook as I can connect with people I’d otherwise forget.

Funnily enough, the first 2/3 of my run was actually enjoyable, despite it being difficult to keep up the fast pace I do. I think having music I like makes a big difference.

Workout/run

Done.

Meditation

Done!

Visualisation

Yup.

Daily affirmations

Done.

Reading + taking notes

I read a little, not the standard 20 mins though.

It’s 9pm right now, so I should be able to get in bed within the next 5 mins.

I’m removing this one as it’s not essential, but I still have a daily reminder on my phone to do this so I can if I have time.

Daily social goal

“It’ll be to just talk to strangers again. 2 Is good.

I technically did this, but I didn’t initiate conversation and it wasn’t casual, so I wouldn’t say I’ve done it.

Greet every person I sit next to in class warmly/talk in a cheerful way with them.

Python programming

Nope. Since the programming competition is over and I won’t need to do any python until next year, I’ll remove it here for now, and I’ll probably just try coding once a week minimum.

Yup

Nope. I did plenty of procrastination today, not enough studying.

I could have had more sleep and made sure to minimise procrastinating.

In future (not tomorrow) I’ll make sure to go somewhere else to study if the library is closed (it was closed today).

Photo Stream

I forgot to take one on my morning run, but luckily I had another run to the river! Thought I might also start making these a bit more interesting by doing something funny with my free hand :D

Photography lineup

Here's one of Auckland University where I did my programming competition yesterday.

iPhone photos and videos 002.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 006.JPG

My post for yesterday:

Post-Detox Day 131

Today has been yet another great day! Most of my day consisted of getting a tour and run-down of how people work in Xero, a global accounting software business that started in New Zealand. It was a wonderful opportunity to see where one can go with a computer science degree, and the possibility to make change despite living in such a small country. I asked plenty of questions, and it certainly paid off.

I did most of a regular work out in the morning, and did all my other necessary daily tasks. My social goal was to “Greet every person I sit next to in class warmly/talk in a cheerful way with them.” I did this for the vast majority of the day, and within only five minutes of my lunch time I was the centre of attention and was having a splendid time laughing with my friends and acquaintances. It was a great success!

Post-Detox Day 132

I started off today really well with a 2.4km run (+ I always have another 1.2km to run home), which I completed in 10 minutes and 10 seconds. It wasn’t my best, but it was pretty darn good for running before the sun was up!

I hadn’t set a social goal yesterday, but I went with the same approach and got similar results; people just loved talking to me since I kept such a positive attitude and had a genuine interest in others. Simply asking a few people how their day is going or asking a related question is a very easy way to start a good conversation.

Gratitude journal

I am grateful for fast paced music to keep me running with the rhythm.

I am grateful for having such great friends that I actually have to cut down on the time I spend messaging them.

I am grateful for podcasts.

Although this may seem a bit rebellious, I’m proud of myself for speaking up against one of my teachers that were pushing a particular stance towards a controversial topic. I’d normally just brush off information I know is biased, but I openly challenged my teacher to speak about the other side of the story that wasn’t being presented. A classmate was appreciative and thankful that I spoke up and contributed my thoughts on the topic, as the apparent bias was the ‘elephant in the room’.

Workout/run

Done.

Meditation

Done, although it was rather short.

Visualisation

Yup.

Daily affirmations

Done.

Reading + taking notes

Done!

I am for once on track for getting into bed before 9! I’ve got another 20 minutes before that time. I could

100% Homework effort NEW!

Despite me keeping accountable and moving forward with these habits, I’d like to apply this to my school work. I want to be proud of the work I’ve done at the end of the day, so I’m going to keep myself to put in maximum effort. I’ll report on how I’ve done every day.

Daily social goal

[Mentioned above] I hadn’t set a social goal yesterday, but I went with the same approach and got similar results; people just loved talking to me since I kept such a positive attitude and had a genuine interest in others. Simply asking a few people how their day is going or asking a related question is a very easy way to start a good conversation.

Take on a leadership role in group conversation – e.g. ask the questions people answer to. I want to do this at least twice tomorrow.

Yup

Minimal procrastination, but I could probably do with using less music whilst studying, it can be distracting.

I could have got to sleep earlier. Nuff said!

I’m going to make sure to get all my to-do’s completed that I’ve left to do at a later time; they’ve been piling up recently.

Photo Stream

From my run this morning. I had my other hand full with a torch, so I put that in the foreground to keep things a little less… dark.

Photography lineup

I took this one on Friday; looks like a door to somewhere metaphorically bright :D

iPhone photos and videos 009.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 006.JPG

Hi I love that idea of taking too strangers everyday. I will start something similar next week. Good job on the competition. Can you post a sample question here? I am interested in the sort of tasks you get at such an event.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the idea. I'll make sure to check out your journal to see how it goes :)

Ok here's a somewhat easy one.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG