NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Alex

AlexTheGrape

Bugger, I lost a big post I was writing! I guess I need to work on completing tasks promptly after starting them.

Hey @NoMoreGaming, it would be killer to find a way to autosave posts or not lose them like this if people hit back/forward by accident. Not sure what we can do for that.

Just write out the post in Word/notepad and save as needed. After that, you can just copy and paste it into a post.

Bugger, I lost a big post I was writing! I guess I need to work on completing tasks promptly after starting them.

Hey @NoMoreGaming, it would be killer to find a way to autosave posts or not lose them like this if people hit back/forward by accident. Not sure what we can do for that.

Just write out the post in Word/notepad and save as needed. After that, you can just copy and paste it into a post.

It's a good idea but most people won't do it haha :P

I didn't post yesterday, but I'm not all that fussed about it as I only got home at around 9:30pm. On the other hand I certainly could have made the time to post, if I weren't indulging myself in the new brotherband 6 book that came out recently :P No need to worry though, it won't be any hindrance to anything now, I'm about 60% through the short novel, then I'll need to wait another year till the next one comes out.

Today has been a dedicated day of relaxation, I have only spent a day or two these holidays dedicated to just doing enjoyable and relaxing activities; I've been half-heartedly keeping myself busy the past week. Tomorrow I'll be heading into a full-on productivity day, and I'll be starting up doing cold showering again as I think it would help cement the mentality I need to keep active.

I forgot to mention that a couple of days ago I finally put together some documents for printing out my favourite inspirational quotes, and I put one up on my wall. "Do the thing, and you shall have the power". The quote on my wall pretty much sums up the positive influence I will derive from it.

I had previously started re-reading How to Make Friends and Influence People, but since I already took notes on the main headings (which already sum up what the main features to work on are), I will just work off of those notes and try to practically use one of them per day. Next up is Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins!

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful that I can fully relax without pressures and hyper-stimulation of video games.

I'm grateful for hot chocolate. Mmmmm.

I'm grateful for the friendly people I met today in town.

One amazing thing that happened today:

Starting a run in which had some purpose in it was exciting, and gave me proper reason to go all-out with running. I needed to run to town before my destination store closed, and although it was cut short as I was offered a lift by my parents, it was a great feeling which I'd like to somehow replicate in future runs.

What I could have done to make my day better:

I could have planned what I was to do, the day before. This would have removed the rushing I had to do when I realised that stores would close at around midday. I'm gonna plan my next day right now! Done.

Workout/run

Attempted, but I seriously don't have an excuse for not taking the time to go for a full run.

Meditation

Yup.

Reading + taking notes

I'm starting Awaken the Giant Within soon, likely tomorrow or the next day.

Visualisation

It was pretty brief today, I need to make a better effort tomorrow.

Sufficient sleep

Yes, but not in time. Today I'm on track for getting in bed on time! (9pm)

Today has been another good one; I started off the day well with the best run I've had in a while, and finished off my fiction book in the early afternoon. I was ready for a call with my accountability partner, but unfortunately he couldn't call (although I don't see why we couldn't have squeezed in 20 minutes of call time). I decided I may as well finish the Brotherband 6 novel, which wasn't a very productive choice but thankfully it has finite usability; I can now no longer sink time into the book as I won't enjoy re-reading it.

I've broken down what revision I want to do into 'do-able' chunks that I can do sequentially and without floundering for what specific task I should be doing. Tomorrow I've got a solid plan set out, and I'll just have to see how it goes!

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for not having to make dinner today.

I'm grateful for being able to go to the park with my brothers.

I'm grateful for the finite time needed to complete reading a book. If I were playing video games, I simply wouldn't stop.

Having finished my run, I felt very relieved. I was able to have a relaxing run home after doing my 2.4km run within the time needed. 

I could have given myself a time limit for reading; I got hooked on the book and didn't stop reading until I finished (it only took a few hours though). It wasn't good discipline or planning, so I will be setting timers for my breaks tomorrow.

Workout/run

Completed, with time to spare! I needed to run 2.4km in 11 minutes, but I managed to do it in 10 minutes and 40 seconds.

Cold shower

I had a bit of cold in my shower to finish off, but I can do better.

Meditation

Yup. I got rid of the Calm app as I have found its exaggeration of meditation benefits and emphasis on the 'journey' being taken by the user to enlightenment. I will now try doing meditation by myself or with Headspace if things don't work out.

Reading + taking notes

I'm starting Awaken the Giant Within just after this!

Visualisation

I did it all today, but unfortunately didn't feel much emotion with it. Some days will just be like that I guess.

Sufficient sleep

Better sleep than the previous day, but I could have done better tonight. I was writing this post at 8:40 so that I could get in bed by 9, but I got distracted by youtube... I'm going to need to be more careful of what I'm spending my time on, and to show a little more self-control.

Topics to talk about tomorrow/fill in tomorrow morning:

Weekly revision

Daily social goal

Confidence building

Three values I stand by

Dollar game for daily social goal

My post for yesterday:

Today I got on with studying, and it started out well. My schedule was interrupted by needing to paint a fence and go to town with my brothers, but it's been a good day overall. I didn't properly get back into my schedule when I got back home, which meant I didn't get as much work done as I'd have liked (I managed to do 2 x 50 minute study sessions and a 2 hour call with my accountability partner, but I wanted to do another session of study). 

My call with my accountability partner was a very good one; we focused on why he kept uninstalling games then reinstalling them, and he made the conclusion that he will give the 90 day detox another shot.

In a study break I didn't know what I should do, as I didn't have the motivation to go for a run (I know I'm not supposed to do these things out of 'motivation' to do so, it's up to personal discipline, but I still didn't feel up to it). I've now got list of things I can do during a study break, it'll just be a matter of committing to them.

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for the advice and support from my parents and family.

I'm grateful for the friends I have.

I'm grateful for the wonderful weather despite winter.

Today I finally got on with my studying, and it didn't feel like much of a chore, which was a good feeling. Paired with soft music, the process of studying was much better than I thought it'd feel.

I could have made sure to time my breaks, as they quickly got out of hand.

Workout/run

I did a good workout this morning, and did a total of 85 pushups, which is now my new best!

Meditation

I forgot...

Reading + taking notes

I have started to read The 7 Habits of Successful people, as that was actually higher on my priority list than Awaken the Giant Within. I haven't come across anything important enough to note so far.

Visualisation

I forgot.

Sufficient sleep

More or less, I think I did better than the day before.

Weekly reflection

I am wanting to do a reflection every week to see if I can learn any lessons and not make the same mistakes again. Equally important, to recognise my successes.

Daily social goal

Using one of my attributes derived from How To Win Friends and Influence People, I'll be working on one social aspect of my day, every day. If I don't manage to implement it successfully, I'll have to do it again the next day.

Confidence building

The 'confidence building' consists of small, frequent activities and I'll reflect on how I've implemented them throughout the day.

Three values I stand by

I thought I'd mention three values I'd like to focus on, and they will change over time. Right now they are: 

Integrity. Respect. Courage.

To make sure I'm accountable for applying my social goal, if my brother catches me failing at it, I have to give him two dollars. I'll see how it works out, but hopefully it should keep him actively looking for my mistakes and keep me actively trying to achieve the goal.

Photo Stream

I'll be taking a photo of the local stream every day, so I can 1. Get a run every day. 2. Make a cool slow-frame video after a couple of months of it. 3. Show you guys some neat photos! (I'll keep myself accountable by posting each new photo here).

Yesterday I had another school ball, this time it was one I was invited to (not my own school). Most of my day was it preparation of it and doing errands for my parents, but I know I could have squeezed in the time for studying as I ended up mindlessly browsing the internet when I finished my to-do list.

Today I have been out to the city to see an immunologist and get a blood test done, which took up most of the day. Again, I didn't think much about doing study once I got home at around 5pm, but I now know I need to focus on being flexible these holidays.

I've been getting consistent pressure to play Pokemon Go, but I haven't installed it and I think it's better I keep it that way. Seeing my brothers spend a lot of time sitting in gaming hotspots has confirmed my suspicion that the game is time-consuming for those who want to play the game on a somewhat competitive level.

Although I've had a more or less busy day, I've done pretty poorly in terms of my daily habits largely due to me not doing my morning success routine and having a bunch of new ones I haven't got reminders for.

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for the wonderful night I had last night.

I'm grateful for having the perseverence to go on a rainy, night run for my exercise today. It was worth it!

I'm grateful for being able to drive, it certainly makes life easier.

It was a great feeling to have a run in the rain in near complete darkness, simply because it was new. Going on the run gave me a sense of adventure, and so was more interesting than a normal one. Unfortunately my phone stopped tracking my distance covered halfway so I didn't get a proper result, but I'm confident I did well today.

I could have dedicated the time to meditate and visualise later in the day, since I ran out of time for it in the morning. It certainly would have made my afternoon more relaxing.

Workout/run

Yup!

Meditation

Didn't make time for it today.

Reading + taking notes

Nope.

Visualisation

Nope.

Sufficient sleep

Yes, but at the expense of my day time; I got up late.

Daily social goal

I didn't set one today.

Confidence building

I completely forgot!

My three values: Integrity. Respect. Courage.

I haven't set this up yet, I'll need to get onto that.

Photo Stream

Despite it being impossible to see at night (even with flash), I took a photo of the stream anyways. At least you can see the grass illuminated by my torch :P

iPhone photos and videos 017.JPG

Edited by AlexTheGrape
Forgot to finish 'amazing thing' section

Today has gone pretty well; although I had a delayed start I got through the day with more work done than previous days. I still didn't reach my target of 6 x 50 minute study sessions, but I hope to change that tomorrow.

I'm thinking of adding a day counter again, except it'd be "Post-90 Day Detox: Day __". Any thoughts on this?

I've realised that I had an interest in creating podcasts, but I've held back out of fear of being exposed publicly. I will need to think over this.

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for having a great neighbourhood.

I'm grateful for my privileged life.

I'm grateful for the abundance of spare time I have these holidays.

I went out for a half an hour walk that was supposed to be at a 'comfortable pace', but I ended up being out for an hour! I jogged to different places of my neighbourhood I'd never been to before, and it was very interesting. Towards the end of my run I was just running where I wanted to, and away from the main path to more scenic surroundings. It was a wonderful way to feel in control of my life and to be running out of my own desire to do so, as opposed to the potential necessity I may feel if I ever tried Pokemon Go and ended up running to catch virtual monsters.

I could have gotten to bed on time and gotten up as soon as I woke up. It takes a lot of time out of my day to be procrastinating from these things, it's just not good for productivity.

Workout/run

Yup!

Meditation

Yup!

Reading + taking notes

Yep.

Visualisation

Yes.

Sufficient sleep

Yes, but at the expense of my day time; I got up late, again.

Daily social goal

I set one, but I didn't get much of a chance to use it. I'll try again tomorrow.

Confidence building

More or less complete.

My three values: Integrity. Respect. Courage.

I need another reminder, I didn't set this up again.

Photo Stream

Here's one from my long jog, the river has plenty of mud in it today because of the rain.

iPhone photos and videos 004.JPG

Awesome stream! I can see it all through your photo :D

What's wrong with this whole Pokemon Go stuff? It's the same game my accountibility relapsed on recently. Is it such absorbing or what?

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist.

It provides an incentive to get outside the house and going on walks and things, but the motives that one would develop would be at odds to the general approach we have towards gaming here. Users would need to make a conscious effort to not waste time on the game where it could otherwise be spent on something worthwhile, and the 'progress' that people are trying to make in the game is completely virtual. It is likely fun an can be a cool way to spend time with friends in the short term, but if somebody is wanting to be able to be satisfied with real life activities, having fun through gaming is very likely to rob them of the opportunity to develop that mindset due to the games' engaging nature. I hope that helped explain it, but Cam's video gives a pretty good perspective on it :D

I've realised that I had an interest in creating podcasts, but I've held back out of fear of being exposed publicly. I will need to think over this.

Exposed for what?

Oh I didn't mean anything in particular, it's just the thought of being 'in the spotlight' that I'm not very comfortable with. I'm an introvert, and so naturally I'm not that comfortable with putting myself out there. I also don't know what audience I'd be best suited to for, or what topics would be best for me to talk about. I think the most important thing is for me to just get started, and I'll find out those things as I go.

Edited by AlexTheGrape

Exposed for what?

Oh I didn't mean anything in particular, it's just the thought of being 'in the spotlight' that I'm not very comfortable with. I'm an introvert, and so naturally I'm not that comfortable with putting myself out there. I also don't know what audience I'd be best suited to for, or what topics would be best for me to talk about. I think the most important thing is for me to just get started, and I'll find out those things as I go.

Exactly. I think @kortheo might have some thoughts on this. :D

Hey Alex! I had the exact same fear when I first started with podcasting (which was only a couple months ago). I wasn't comfortable putting myself out there. It gets a lot easier, actually pretty quickly. It feels good to me to create podcasts and to get my thoughts out, and the fear diminishes when you get positive feedback or are just proud of what you've created.

You just have to push through the initial discomfort and make incremental improvements. Also, remember that you won't be great at it first. I still have a long ways to go with mine.

Here are my episodes if you're interested. I'm sure you can tell a big difference in my confidence level and quality between the first and most recent ep. Also, the first ep is really just me talking about how uncomfortable I am with podcasting haha. So far this podcast has just been random topics.

https://soundcloud.com/travis-kirk-992919435

But, just last night launched a second podcast, based around my journey learning android development. If you're interested in that:

http://zerotodev.libsyn.com/podcast

I'm trying out libsyn for hosting this. Soundcloud is much prettier, but libsyn has better features. Costs $5/month though, soundcloud is free. Things to consider. Hit me up if you have anymore questions.

Also, for some inspiration:

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/309485-nobody-tells-this-to-people-who-are-beginners-i-wish

:D

Edited by kortheo

Thanks for reply @AlexTheGrape and @Cam Adair.

I see that this Pokemon GO is similar to Ingress app. When I was once on hiking trip, my friend used it to conquer as much "portals" as possible. He wanted to control it all the time, so during night, after tirisome day of walking 30km or more, he spent 3 hours with friend walking and conquering portals. So it was much more valuable for him than sleeping.

That's fuckin' ridiculous.

Ah, and during play everybody else know your localization, so it's not a problem for thiefs to lure you somewhere in the middle of the nights and steal whatever you have.

To be very honest, I've been embarrassingly slack with posting these past few days, and although some days have been busy I certainly could have made time for it. I've just got to pick up from where I've left off and make sure this doesn't happen again. I've been consistently leaving my posting to right before going to bed; and because I am trying to get to bed at the right time, I seem to run out of time for it. I'm going to make sure to post here before 8pm every day, that way I won't encounter this problem again. My phone alarm is set!

Overview of 15.7.2016:

I made significant progress with my studying, but I still didn't reach my goal of 6 x 50 minute sessions. I made an amazing dinner for the family which I'm proud of, and I might start to enjoy cooking more. I certainly liked the engagement of needing to get things ready in time to start with other steps in the meal.

Overview of 16.7.2016:

I went to a birthday party that day, but I didn't do as much studying as I could have. To be fair I had already dedicated weekends during my holidays to be days off, but I still wanted to get some more work finished.

My post for yesterday:

Today was dedicated to relaxing and getting on with some of my to-do list. It was a good day, and I feel refreshed enough to go all-out tomorrow with a school-like day structure. I had a walk with my brother and a close friend, in which they played Pokemon Go and I gave the dog a good exercise. I'm a little glad that I don't need to have a game tell me where I should be going, and that I can experience the outdoors for what it's really worth.

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for documented history.

I'm grateful for ball throwing sticks.

I'm grateful for living in a modern, developed nation.

Taking the time to enjoy the views on my walk was a wonderful way to get 'in touch with nature', Scenic views on a walk is one of the best ways to have a change of environment from the indoors, if that makes sense.

I could have made sure to have timed breaks, as I'd end up procrastinating for far too long before doing more tasks. I missed quite a few of my daily tasks in my morning success routine and other daily tasks, so I need to do a better job on that tomorrow.

Workout/run

I had a run, but I should have also done a work out.

Meditation

Nope.

Reading + taking notes

Done.

Visualisation

Nope.

Sufficient sleep

More or less.

Daily social goal

Damn, I forgot to set one up. I had success on an earlier day though, so I need to keep this up.

Social goal for tomorrow:

If I get into an argument, to honestly try to see things from the other person's point of view.

Confidence building

Nope.

I got my two brothers on board, I might need to up it to $5 though for a greater incentive.

Photography lineup

I'm making a lineup of a lot of the good photos I've taken to show some of my photography skills. The idea is that when I run out of photos to post, I'll need to go on a trip to take some more!

I took this one in the Auckland Museum on the summer holiday day I had last year. It was from a decisive decision of mine to make that holiday one without gaming. I hope you enjoy the colourful picture!

DSC01429.JPG

Hey Alex! I had the exact same fear when I first started with podcasting (which was only a couple months ago). I wasn't comfortable putting myself out there. It gets a lot easier, actually pretty quickly. It feels good to me to create podcasts and to get my thoughts out, and the fear diminishes when you get positive feedback or are just proud of what you've created.

You just have to push through the initial discomfort and make incremental improvements. Also, remember that you won't be great at it first. I still have a long ways to go with mine.

Here are my episodes if you're interested. I'm sure you can tell a big difference in my confidence level and quality between the first and most recent ep. Also, the first ep is really just me talking about how uncomfortable I am with podcasting haha. So far this podcast has just been random topics.

https://soundcloud.com/travis-kirk-992919435

But, just last night launched a second podcast, based around my journey learning android development. If you're interested in that:

http://zerotodev.libsyn.com/podcast

I'm trying out libsyn for hosting this. Soundcloud is much prettier, but libsyn has better features. Costs $5/month though, soundcloud is free. Things to consider. Hit me up if you have anymore questions.

Also, for some inspiration:

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/309485-nobody-tells-this-to-people-who-are-beginners-i-wish

:D

Hi Travis, thanks for such a long and detailed piece of advice! I'll have a look at those links in a few hours.

You're right about just getting over the first bumps of discomfort, the chances are that I'm just being fearful and there will very likely not be any negative repercussions of making podcasts.

I reckon I'd be interested in Android development, I'll definitely check out that podcast (and probably catch up with all the rest of them!

I won't worry about hosting software yet, I'll just get started.

Thanks for reply @AlexTheGrape and @Cam Adair.

I see that this Pokemon GO is similar to Ingress app. When I was once on hiking trip, my friend used it to conquer as much "portals" as possible. He wanted to control it all the time, so during night, after tirisome day of walking 30km or more, he spent 3 hours with friend walking and conquering portals. So it was much more valuable for him than sleeping.

That's fuckin' ridiculous.

Ah, and during play everybody else know your localization, so it's not a problem for thiefs to lure you somewhere in the middle of the nights and steal whatever you have.

Yeah, that Ingress app sounds very different to Pokemon GO. My brother has already gone out at night to capture pokemon, but not at the expense of sleep as far as I'm aware. I certainly don't want to be prioritizing a game over sleep time, and I've done that in the past when I was addicted to them. 

Although the crime cases for those GPS games are few and far between, it is something to consider.

Post-Detox Day 112

I'm back on track, and I'm flying through the day in the best way. Today I've simulated a school day by getting out to the local library and structuring my day based off of my school timetable. It worked very well, and despite studying most of the day, I am pleased with how my day has gone as I was able to take some time to relax and simply enjoy being out of the house. I gave myself 10 minute breaks between work periods (with additional time for morning tea and lunch) to walk around the bay, and that worked really well to get the blood flowing and relieve myself of boredom. I've gotten done all the studying I wanted to do today, plus I started working on a speech that I could potentially present in school sometime this year.

I calculated the time elapsed since I finished the 90 day detox (after my third attempt!), and it's now been 112 days. I'd like to keep this counter up to firstly remind me of how far I've come, and secondly to put a little pressure on me to show some visible change. The amount of positive change I've underwent in the past month or two has been quite small, or possibly it'll just take a while for it to show. In any case the counter will be a good reminder that time is still ticking.

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for having such wonderful weather in NZ.

I'm grateful for public spaces and services such as the library.

I'm grateful for the holiday time I have.

This morning I had some time at the bay to meditate, and it was a wonderful experience to listen to real waves by the ocean instead of from my phone in my room. It was certainly much more relaxing, but at the same time I had valuables on me and so wasn't too keen on keeping my eyes closed for longer than a minute. I'll probably need to work on keeping calm in public spaces more. Anyhow afterwards I felt very relaxed, and visualisation emotions came easier by looking out to sea.

I've done really well today, but I could have packed my lunch the night before so I wouldn't have to buy anything. One thing I should try when going to the library (or other study place) again is to change where I sit for each different subject I work on. This will result in a change of space so I don't get so bored.

Workout/run

I had a workout this morning, and although it took a little longer than usual, I got it all done, including a total of 90 push ups! Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can up it to a total of 100 push ups.

Meditation

Yup, and a great one at that.

Visualisation

Yup.

Daily affirmations

I'd like to start giving myself daily affirmations to see if it makes a positive impact in my day. I'll add it in with my visualisation or just after I wake up (if I remember, that is).

Reading + taking notes

Done.

Sleep pattern consistency

I got sufficient sleep, but procrastinated getting into bed. I am on track this time around though, so things should turn out well.

Daily social goal

If I get into an argument, to honestly try to see things from the other person's point of view. Today I did even better by not being tempted to argue, but I think that was mostly situational.

"Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves."

Confidence building

In small ways, yes. I don't think this habit building will actually be necessary right now as my confidence in general is fine. I won't add it tomorrow.

Photo Stream

I was at the bay today and had a work out this morning (I only run half the time) so instead here's a video of my meditation spot this morning [this is the linked video at the bottom of the post].

Photography lineup

Today's photo is from Castle Rock, in the Coromandel.

DSC01580.JPG

iPhone photos and videos 024.mp4

Edited by AlexTheGrape
referenced link to video

This rocks looks like they're looking at me.

What did I do wrong to them? O.o

By the way, if you're 112 days after detox, that mean you're 200+ days game free, right?

Congrats Alex!

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

Haha I'm glad you like the photo.

Well I had a small slip up about 30 days after finishing my detox when I played video games for a few hours with friends. My brother had invited them over to play video games, and they bought a copy of the one they were playing for me. It wasn't that fun and it wasn't worth it, but I'm technically not 200+ days game free. But otherwise, yeah it's been a long time since I finished the detox thanks :)

Post-Detox Day 113

Today I helped out a cousin with robotics and caught up with a couple of good friends I hadn't seen in a while by shopping. I lugged around my school books with me for many hours of the day in hopes that I'd find some time to study, but it seems that shopping requires constant attention! I'll be getting back into my work tomorrow by doing a full day at the library, so I'll be able to catch up.

Gratitude journal

I'm grateful for having amazing friends.

I'm grateful for op-shops.

I'm grateful for public transport.

I barely ever go shopping for clothes, it must have been two years since I went to choose new clothes for myself. Shopping with friends today was a surprisingly fun experience, given that I found it a chore previously. By going to op-shops where recycled/second hand clothing was sold, I spent very little money ($18 NZ) and got 8 shirts and a new jumper! Talk about value for money. Spending time in company with friends on a swing was a simple but emotionally valuable part of the day.

I could have not procrastinated in the morning as I still did have some time to do study. I need to use paper for planning out my day if I'm not structuring it like a study day.

Workout/run

I did a total of 100 push ups this time! I also extended the other work out reps to 100 as well. It required a tremendous amount of effort, but if I practice this level more, I'll be able to keep it up.

Meditation

Yup.

Visualisation

No, I didn't do that one.

Daily affirmations

Although I want to do this, I haven't defined any to work from. I'll set that up tomorrow.

Reading + taking notes

Yup.

Sleep pattern consistency

A bit better than the day before, but there's tons of room for improvement. I've started to ignore my phone alarms that tell me to start packing up, I might need to find another way to go about this.

Daily social goal

"Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves." I practiced showing interest (genuine interest, not faked) in other people's career interests and hobbies both at my father's workplace and with my friends today. It worked really well, and I think doing so would be a great way to get to know people better in a positive way.

"Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely".

Photo Stream

Since I did another work out day I didn't run to the stream.

Photography lineup

Today's photo is on a beach near Warkworth (Snells beach I believe).

DSC01668.JPG